Tom Tom issues

:
Mazda CX - 5
Hey guys,

For the last couple of weeks I my Tom Tom gps in the tech package has started acting up. Every time I come to a stop at an intersection; the car icon on the map starts jumping from one cross road to another, the map starts rotating and the speed (bottom left) then shows 1 km an hour. Yesterday for almost half an hour there are no gps signals while my Garmin was pointing my location without any issues.

Any suggestions on what could possibly be wrong?

Thanks,

Hersh

have you run any updates on it? there's been several gps fixes, and a couple main system updates since this car came out

but its still fraught with tons of software issues even after all that
mine doesn't like to end navigating now, you get to yoru destination and it keeps trying to route you to it, you have to manually cancel the route even if you get right to the flag on the map

I did do the map update a month ago. That was the "1" free update. Not sure if that could have caused it.

If this is a software issue then it is really buggy and if it's got something to do with the hardware then Mazda better have a solution for my problem.

no, not map updates, application updates for the main software in the nb1, another one just came out recently, did it today

and mazda has very little to do with the hardware i bet, its a plug in module, probably entirely made by tomtom it just interfaces with teh screen and controls

My nav screen locked up yesterday. The voice guidance was still going and telling me the next turn etc.. But the screen was frozen. I'm wondering if that head unit is susceptible to extreme heat. Haven't had a problem with the head unit until now. Had an old alpine radio in my Celica that would freeze up and restart whenever the cabin temp got to high. (like sitting in a parking lot baking in 100 degree heat with the windows up)

My nav screen locked up yesterday. The voice guidance was still going and telling me the next turn etc.. But the screen was frozen. I'm wondering if that head unit is susceptible to extreme heat. Haven't had a problem with the head unit until now. Had an old alpine radio in my Celica that would freeze up and restart whenever the cabin temp got to high. (like sitting in a parking lot baking in 100 degree heat with the windows up)

I remember reading something in the nav book about the unit not starting or stopped responding due to heat, also a note to try resetting by taking the card out of the reader and reinserting (turn car off first), then restart car and wait for the nav to reset.

Just checked, pg 6 and 7 of the nav pdf

Stromdriver, as you suggested, I did the app update and voila everything is working as expected. Couldn't be happier.

Thanks for your help

yeah the latest update looks like it might have addressed the 'just driving to whatever it thinks you said' problem, it actually prompted me with a list of options when i said 'drive to airport'

I remember reading something in the nav book about the unit not starting or stopped responding due to heat, also a note to try resetting by taking the card out of the reader and reinserting (turn car off first), then restart car and wait for the nav to reset.

Just checked, pg 6 and 7 of the nav pdf

Just noticed that. Thanks for the heads up.

anyone else having the problem where the tomtom never thinks you get to your destination? even if you do drive right to the flag?

everytime i use it i have to manually cancel the route

anyone else having the problem where the tomtom never thinks you get to your destination? even if you do drive right to the flag?

I haven't had that problem.
MY problems with the Tomtom are:-

1. Cannot touch a POI to see more details of that POI (ie name of place, phone no etc) as you can do with most other GPS systems
2. Cannot change the zoom level and have it stick (it reverts back to the normal position after a few seconds).
3. I would like to see altitude on the display

@stromdriver: It might be that you put your destination on the other lane of a larger street...
Maybe the next time you run int such a problem try to zoom in as much as you can in order to see if you really hit the flag.

@JockC: There is a setting that tells TomTom to make use of the "auto zoom" for 2D and 3D. If you switch that off, then your zoom level should remain unchanged by the system. Displaying the altitude is not included in TomTom. There are tools for the mobile GPS from TomTom, but I don't know, if they work on this system.

no, it has it on the correct side of the street, even to the point where i make the waypoint (home) and pass thru the exact spot (its the end of the single lane driveway) and it still doesn't cancel navigation

and if you try and place the destination a little before the end of the driveway?
Anyhow usually TomTom deletes the route of it is sure to have reached the correct point.

everytime i use it i have to manually cancel the route

I had it happen once (and had to cancel the route next time I got in the car and it wanted to direct me back to my destination), but that was a couple of weeks ago before the latest update. I'll try to use it a lot more this week for various destinations and see if it happens again.

and if you try and place the destination a little before the end of the driveway?
Anyhow usually TomTom deletes the route of it is sure to have reached the correct point.

no, the point is at the very end of the driveway where it meets the road, so you have to drive right through it to enter driveway

well this tomtom doesn't delete the route

I had it happen once (and had to cancel the route next time I got in the car and it wanted to direct me back to my destination), but that was a couple of weeks ago before the latest update. I'll try to use it a lot more this week for various destinations and see if it happens again.

honestly seems like it started doing it after the update i got last week...

honestly seems like it started doing it after the update i got last week...

You should try the reset again where you just take the SD Card out and then reinsert it, then start the car and let it load again. I had traffic not showing after the last update and tried that and traffic showed again.

Also today, I set an address about 1/2 mile before my destination to see if the route would think I was there even after I passed it, and it did. Tomorrow I'll put the address in that is just after my destination (next door building) to see if it will still send me there after I park and restart the car.

edit: stromdriver, does it say 'you have reached your destination?'

Back