Disabling DRL

Wow, why add risk of someone not seeing you and pulling in front of you? You never see a professional rig (18 wheeler) without DRL due to the lower accident rate and lower insurance rate that comes with them. I was glad Mazda put them on the CX-5 after I added daylite4's to my daughter's 2012 Mazda 3 for safety reasons.

I do not recommend to disable the DRL but if you want just to turn the light mode from Auto to Off. (Autralian Version) hope it works on yours.

Haven't tried it on the cx-5. But people sometimes pull the emergency brake up just one click. Most cars are set so that when the ebrake is on the running light go out. Just depends on how early the switch is set to go on in the ebrake travel compared to actual engagement of the brake for the cx-5. I personally have never had a reason to disable the running lights.

I too would like to disable the DRLs. I'm just not crazy about the look. I went to the dealer to have them disabled and they said there was no way to do it. Has anyone had any success? In the "Smart Start" guide (here, page 11) it says they can be disabled, but the owner's manual has no mention of it.

Any help is much appreciated!

do you have any pics of the install on the 3? I'd love to add a set to my wifes car.

The car is out of state and I do not have pictures but it looks & works good. I put them down low, drilled a couple of holes in the plastic underpan for small stainless bolts I picked up at Home Depo to hold them in a slot just above the underpan & followed wiring instructions. I bought them on Amazon and two of the four LEDS on one side failed, I called Amazon and they sent me a new complete package. I replaced the failing light bar and sent the package back, no charge. I first thought I would leave them on all the time but they were so bright at night it would have been a distraction to oncomming traffic so I attached the "turn off when lights on" wire...

Does anyone know or have a "Hot To" disable the Daytime Running Lights on 2013 CX-5? TIA!

DIY - How to disable your daytime running lights.

1. Pop the hood.
2. Remove the lid from the fuse box that's located behind the airbox to the right of the engine. The latch for the lid is on back side.
3. Under the lid there is a fuse diagram. Look in the left most column, forth fuse down for one labeled "DRL".
4. Remove the "DRL" fuse from the fuse block and place it in the spare fuse storage area under the lid.
5. Replace fuse removal tool and reinstall lid.
6. Close hood, enjoy.

Thanks leedos, worked perfectly! (cool)

1. Pop the hood.
2. Remove the lid from the fuse box that's located behind the airbox to the right of the engine. The latch for the lid is on back side.
3. Under the lid there is a fuse diagram. Look in the left most column, forth fuse down for one labeled "DRL".
4. Remove the "DRL" fuse from the fuse block and place it in the spare fuse storage area under the lid.
6. Close hood, enjoy.

Last edited:

1. Pop the hood.
6. Close hood, enjoy.

Hey leedos,

This didn't work for me. :( When I checked the fuse box, the fuse you mention was already removed. Perhaps it's different for an HID-equipped model?

A small update: my car is at the dealer for some other things, and while it's there, they are supposed to be disabling the DRLs. I was told that when taking delivery of the vehicle, the customer is supposed to be asked about the functionality of the DRLs. That never happened for me. I'll let y'all know if I have success today with the dealer.

OK, another update! Apparently the dealer got in touch with Mazda North America to figure out the process to disable the DRLs. They had to go into the computer and make a change that way. Success!

When I checked the fuse box, the fuse you mention was already removed. Perhaps it's different for an HID-equipped model?

Hey Phil, while in there did you happen to see any fuses for HIDs? Just in case I need to change a Xenon bulb I could remove the fuse rather than disconnect the car battery.

For the Bi-xenon, you can also disable them by removing the front bumper and pulling the pins in the plug.

There are insstructions on how to do it for the install of the OEM LED DRLs that are not for sale in the US.

Remove the bulb, feed higher voltage to bulb, bulb will blow, then reinstall burnt bulb in housing.
no more DRL lights.
I have no idea why you do not want them for saftey.

Last edited:
When somebody will smash into to your ride without your DRL's, their scum bucket bottom dwelling lawyer will try to asign some of the blame on you because you removed an important safety feature from your car and their blind client may have seen you if they where left on. That is the cruel reality of our world.

There are cars without DRL, so please explain to me how you think that someone is not going to see his car that does not have the drl's on? Are you more concerned with some lights that are not on or someone that is texting and not paying attention. The effectiveness of them in the United States is uncertain. So if he choses to disable them, then so be it.

Back