Anyone have the rear bumper protector?

EricF

:
2013 CX-5 FWD touring Bose/Moon. 2006 Tacoma.
We are thinking of getting the rear bumper protector. Is it really easy to scratch the back bumper when loading and unloading? We have a $200 gift card and have no idea what to spend it on. So far we're thinking of the cargo tray and bumper guard. Any other suggestions?

We thought about the cargo cover, but decided against it because the windows are dark and its already hard to see in. And we are thinking of tinting them even darker, and it would be almost impossible to see in.

I've had limo tint on a few cars and its not hard at all to see out of.

Yes, but I would hope you don't put limo tint over the approximately 20% factory rear tint, because that would be nearly opaque.

Yes, but I would hope you don't put limo tint over the approximately 20% factory rear tint, because that would be nearly opaque.

OK, here is a pic of limo over factory tint (different car, same % of factory tint). I don't see how you guys think this is hard to see out of. See in yes, out, not really.

I live in AZ, where its BRIGHT and sunny 99% of the year. My sunglasses are about as dark as this and I wish they were darker! LOL

Again, I've done this in the last 3 cars I've owned. Its not that big of a deal.

If you live in an area thats overcast a lot, this is probably overkill. Unless you like privacy.

TLCweirdasstintmang5.JPG

^ Looks very good and drivable for sure.

Who knows what "limo tint" really is or what %...( the tint shop most likely took into account what factory glass they were applying tint over when selecting the film to achieve effect).

The receipt should list (3 factors) what brand, model, and % darkness of the tint applied. Example: My CX has 3M / Color Stable / 35% on 2 fronts.

Last edited:
"limo" is usually 5%. If you walk into a tint shop and just tell them to make it limo, I guess they could just apply whatever tint they wanted to the factory tint to get the desired effect. I'd assume most people already know what % they want, and tell the guy what they want.

"limo" is usually 5%. If you walk into a tint shop and just tell them to make it limo, I guess they could just apply whatever tint they wanted to the factory tint to get the desired effect. I'd assume most people already know what % they want, and tell the guy what they want.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. On my sport sedans (since they have very little factory tint to begin with), I select brand/model/% of tint. Regardless, looks like you got the ideal level of tint darkness for your climate.

Does anybody have the rear bumper protector and what does it cost?

I have the bumper guard, installed it over the weekend. Pretty straight forward install. I paid $90 for it thru some Mazda dealership online. It looks good, nice and shiny stainless steel looking piece.

20120630141649702.jpg

scaled.php

Last edited:
Looks nice. I wish that it continued down the vertical crease. I already have a couple of knicks on that edge from a suspected encounter with a hardshell bassoon case which of course has been flatly denied by the owner of the case.

Back