Blind Spot Detection and dirt/mud/snow - does it work?

bbauman

We are thinking of getting a CX-5 and the wife really wants Blind Spot Detection. Living on a dirt road the bumper will always be covered in dirt, sometimes covered in mud or snow.

Anyone know if the BSD works through these or is BSD a waste of money for us?

The sensors are in the rear bumper and Mazda says that they may not operate properly if ice, snow or soil adheres to the rear bumper surface around the sensors, or may be impaired in adverse weather conditions. There is a pdf manual on this forum if you're interested in reading up on it before you decide.

As Macksma said, the manual goes out of its way to caution against reliability in the presence of ice, snow, mud, etc. Nevertheless, I've found BSM already really helpful more than once. And it only takes once. :)

It is included in the car (at least in the Touring model), not an option so no worries about having it or not having it. It might be an option for the sport model, not sure.

It is included in the car (at least in the Touring model), not an option so no worries about having it or not having it. It might be an option for the sport model, not sure.

It is not a standalone option for Sport per Mazda-US website.

So for the OP selecting Touring or Grand Touring model, BSM is standard equipment.

Last edited:
Is it still ok to put those mini blind spot mirrors on the side mirrors?
makes parking easier for me imo

Can't say enough good things about the BSM. It's been one of the most useful options. I've also used it in a lot of snow and mud. No problems either way. Most of it just falls off anyway.

Is it still ok to put those mini blind spot mirrors on the side mirrors?
makes parking easier for me imo

Rearview camera is a standalone option on the sport and standard on Touring and GT. Parking is a piece of cake with that. I find backing up into a spot or parallel parking very easy with the rearview camera.
There is one cool feature I have on my Acura that I miss though. It turns the sideview mirrors downwards when I put it in reverse.

Last edited:
I put the mini blind spot mirrors on my Touring in the inside lower corners. They will have no effect on anything. Now that I think about it I probably could have put them on the outer lower corners because the signals are in the upper outer corners. They work fine where they are though. I like having both the monitors, and the mirrors.

Agreed, BSM is very useful. I've driven with it for over 6000 miles and highly recommend it. I have never had a need to turn it off.

Latest posts

Back