Rust-like spots on Pearl White

Boo128

:
White CX-5 GT with Nav & '06 Carbon Grey Mazda5 GT
Any one else experience little rust like spots? Had the car for a week and noticed them all over the car. This picture is on the roof just above the windshield. It's back to the dealer tomorrow but was wondering if anyone else had the same experience. I remember on one of our previous new VW Golf's we had the same thing. Dealer said it was Atmospheric fallout. We'll see what this is. What's the best way to clean/treat/prevent?

Rust+spots.jpg

fallout was my guess, metal particles get bonded into the paint and start to rust.

For removing it claying works well. As do some of the new products like IronX or http://www.detailersdomain.com/Wolfs-Chemicals-WF-1P-Deironizer-Decon-Gel_p_533.html
depending on how much of the paint is covered in transit if it has to ride on a train they can kick up metal dust that then settles on the paint and it won't come off with regular washing.

Not sure once it starts to rust how easy it is to remove the effects of it, some damage may be permanent.

Thanks all for the responses. It must have been some rail ride! It's all over the car, handles, side, roof, rear. My concern is long term and permanent damage. Not interested in having a paint job done either. I sure hope this is nothing I'm going need to deal with. Have it scheduled for 3M front mask this Wednesday.

Let's see how Mazda/Dealer deals with it. Keep you all posted.

I taught that roof and hood (at least) is protected for rail transportation.
What kind of rail cars they using?
If they using Automax cars ,you should not see damages like this .
Hope dealer will resolve this to your satisfaction

Deposits are just a heck of a lot easier to see on a white car - I'm sure you'll be able to clay(or the dealership can) and remove them.

I had never heard of this before, but after seeing this thread I googled it and it sure seems to happen more often to cars in Canada and Northern US states. Interesting. Glad I've never had it!

UPDATE: So the spots came a few days after picking up the car. Must have had some metal dust or something followed by a good downpour. That is when we saw the rust like spots. Any case, dealer was great and cleaned it all up for me despite it not being a problem of theirs! Thanks GCM! Lovin the car! (rockon)

My wife just traded in her 2008 Mazda5 which was CWP for a Skyblue CX5 GT. The white always had these rust spots. The best way to remove them is with a clay bar. Not the quickest method, but definitely the most effective

I used the clay bar on my cx 5 today. Took me a good three and a half hours to get all the rail dust / tiny rust spots off the car. She looks good now.

Usually when new cars have rust spots like that, the culprit is the truck that transports them......you would be surprised how common that is if you walk a car lot.

Noticed about 5 tiny pin tip sized ones on my white Cx5 yesterday too when doing a quick detail. Just ordered some CarPro TRIX and a clay bar today. Kinda freaked me out.

In 1997 I bought a brand new 1997 Ford F-150 (black). When I got it home, I noticed the same rust on all the horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, bed, tops of the bed rail, tops of the door handles..etc. It was determined to be rail dust. The dealership used an aggressive polish that removed all the rail dust. I later found that it had removed the clear coat as well. 4 years into ownership and I was getting lots of cracks in the paint on the vertical surfaces. I had long since moved and a new dealership determined the only fix was a repaint. I sold the truck instead.

Back