How to reset the Check Engine Light

jackcfk

:
CX-5
Hi guys,
Any ideas? Some people recommend removing -ve battery terminals for 5 mins. Is there a proper/official way?

funny thing, I just installed an amp and my engine light just came on....

If you were in US, I would suggest going to Autozone to get a free Engine Error Code readout to make sure what triggered it

To just reset it: Pull the negative battery terminal, pump the brakes a few times, reinstall terminal, start car. Will run tad rough for first couple miles.

Hi guys,
Any ideas? Some people recommend removing -ve battery terminals for 5 mins. Is there a proper/official way?

That will rarely clear a real fault as they're held in the Eprom until cleared with a code reader. Best to find out what the issue is..

Thanks for the replies, I just pulled out a fuse for the heck of it, reinstalled it and the light came on. Strange.

my error code was u0155, faulty connection to instrument control panel

drove for 30 miles and turned car on / off and engine light just stopped
autozone guy said just to drive it out.. he wasright

I think resetting codes depends on the code and the theory behind the code. Most history codes will reset after a set number of warmups without the problem being presented. If the problem is still observed the code will stay set and even reset when you clear it.

I pulled a fuse a week or so ago, and after re-installing fuse found that I had the check engine light plus the master warning light. Thought I was going to have to visit dealer but after about a half hour's driving then ignition off and restart, both lights extinguished as normal. No signs of them reappearing, so it seems clever enough to recognise if minor issues have gone away.

I still have a separate issue with what I think is the steering angle sensor or similar, which my dealer is talking to Mazda about. If I knew a sure-fire way to reset that I'd give it a go. I have seen some advice for older Mazdas but it seems CX5 is too new for such knowledge to be generally available.

Hi guys,

If you have a "Room" fuse, as my Mazda RX-8 does, you can pull that for 60 seconds and the light will go off. Well, unless the fault still exists, then it'll be back :)

Bumping this guy so I don't flood the board with another thread.

I had an engine code for cylinder one misfiring. I replaced the spark plugs a few months ago but after 120k the wires had never been changed. I put new coil packs, spark plug wires and spark plugs on my P5. Of course, my check engine light is still on but no auto parts store will clear it for me. Multiple ones said, "that's illegal and we can get fined for it". Weird, you guys can check the code for free but not clear it once I spend $100 at your store to fix it in the parking lot in 5 minutes?

Anyway,

In my old Honda Accord, there was a procedure for clearing the engine codes, holding in the odometer button, turning off ignition, turning on ignition, letting go of odometer button.

Is there anything like this for the P5? How do I clear an engine code without spending $30-$50 on a freakin' auto scanner?

Back