Pearl White Pearl

dsonyay62

:
2013 CX-5 Touring, FWD, Tech Package, fog lights, Bose, Moonroof
Anyone here have the Crystal White Pearl model? We have this color and it seems like a "thicker" paint over the other colors. I noticed it was a 200 upgrade and thought it may have to do with the extra coats applied.

I noticed the other colors seem to chip very easy from what I've seen on other's cars. I've yet to see another crystal pearl model around to compare. What makes this color so special to warrant a premium price?

It would be nice to think it's a more durable paint but I know I can't expect miracles.

Last edited:
There are a few of us. What the dealer told us is that the white paint is harder to adhere to the metal for some reason and takes an extra step to apply. BS or not, i dont know. But its sure pretty in the sunlight.

Could very well be the reason. It's a really interesting color up close. Looks like a normal white car from a ways off.. but up close it looks really nice. It looks like a paint with more coats applied than the other standard ones. I'm hoping it will not chip as easy as the paint on our Altima.. which chipped just looking at it.

Not sure about durability, but my finish looks great after 3 months (like that's a big deal). No scratches, chips so far. I just had it hand waxed yesterday, looks new.

I bought the color simply because I liked it.

Last edited:
Ford charges $495 for white pearl on new 2013 Escape, too bad it's not twice as good. But Mercedes charges extra for all metallic paint choices.

The Pearl has an extra layer under the white and an extra coat of clear above the white to give it the various looks at different times of the day. The only thing that sucks about pearl white is if you scratch it... it is hard to touch up. I have it on my CX5 because i figured not many people would pay extra to have that colour so it would be fairly unique...

not many people would pay extra to have that colour so it would be fairly unique...

The first weekend we had ours we came out of the theater and there was another white one in the parking lot. I think I've seen mostly white ones around here then silver and a couple red so far.

I still like the white on it and figure even if it ends up being a popular color they won't be everywhere like some cars.

I now have 13K miles with the white, no durability issues so far, still looks new.

I'm at 18,000 now and have a few chips, nothing out of the ordinary though. The bumper on our P5 seemed to bounce road debris off without getting marked up better than this one, though.

I've not seen another pearl white other than mine. I see a few of the grey color and I think "ugh, that's so drab."

But then again, I'm sure it looks better than mine when it's dirty.

I the Pearl White is a very good looking color but with the fact that I drive on a lot of Texas back roads my cars get dirty pretty quick. Darker colors don't need to be washed quite that often. I am really hoping to find the car I want in the Stormy Blue. Of course, I still think I will find myself at the car wash far more than I am now once I buy a new car.

Darker colors don't need to be washed quite that often.

I've seen several comments about the white like that and I guess I'm alone in thinking white is easier than most colors to maintain. The light silver of my Tacoma was about the easiest and the yellow of our P5 was surprisingly easy. The yellow would just look like a different shade of yellow when it was dirty or clean.

But I find that the white doesn't really look bad when it is dirty. We had weather where it rained every 3-4 days last month so I kept putting off washing the CX5 and it got really dirty but from 10 feet away it didn't look bad at all. If something removed some of the dirt from the paint then the contrast between the clean and dirty made it look bad but I find white hides dirt, scratches and dents pretty well.

My prior 240Z was white and it was a super cheap maaco paint job that was 15 years old and it still didn't look bad from 10-15 feet and it had a lot of defects. Our Dolphin Gray 3 drives me crazy because you can see the pollen and dirt sitting on the surface of the paint. My current 240Z is a burnt orange color and it is terrible at just looking blah when it has dust or dirt on it.

For me the biggest negative to the white paint is the difference in appearance between when it is just washed and when I spend hours detailing it is really hard to notice. Whereas a darker car really looks like you've done something when it is all shined up.

Trevor
Mazda Accessories

Agreed with HandaA, my SUV's are always some version of white and I've experienced the same.

I have a dark gray metallic/graphite-colored sedan that spends most of it's time in garage and it shows dirt/dust much more easily.

I have a Stormy Blue and I think it gets dirty pretty quickly.. Even after this snow "storm" this weekend I couldn't wait to get to a car wash so the car looked clean! (They did a terrible job though, the back needs re-washing!! I'm doing it myself as soon it gets warmer).. Anyway I think silver hides dirt best but that's my 2 cents. I've never had a white car so can't say about the White Pearl - except that it looked very pretty clean on the dealer's lot. :)

I live in a Mediterranean climate with about 300 dry days per year, so I do not select exterior colors based on looking good when dirty.

I live in a Mediterranean climate with about 300 dry days per year, so I do not select exterior colors based on looking good when dirty.

I also tend to not base color choice off looking good when dirty, with all the back roads in Texas I drive on, there is a lot of washing involved. Luckily in Austin it rarely gets too cold to use the outdoor water faucets.

Back