Mazda CX-5 test drive

Blaster

I test drove a Mazda cx-5 three times before making my decision to purchase a new car. I found the ride very comfortable and the standard equipment on the GS trim was more than enough for my style and needs. Each time I drove the vehicle, I noticed some issues that were mentioned on this form, such as, hood flutter going over speed bumps and driver side mirror vibrations at highway speeds. There is quite a bit of road noise inside the vehicle when the radio is turned off. This may be due to the tires chosen, but add the excessive engine noise when accelerating ( 155HP for this vehicle may be under powered), and it became a deal breaker. The blind spot monitoring system, backup camera, moon roof, and integrated mirror turn signals are great features in the GS Trim. The seats ere very supportive and comfortable. The lack of a cargo cover was insane and it is an extra cost option that the dealer had no stock. Interesting enough, you can buy one on ebay for the 2013 Mazda CX-5. I almost purchased one after my 3rd test drive, but decided to test drive a 2013 Ford Escape just to compare as they were now available at dealers in Montreal. The vehicle I test drove was a 2013 Ford Escape with SE trim and a 1.6 L Ecoboost engine. My first reaction was how much more power this vehicle had over the CX-5. The interior noise level was much better and the suspension seems firmer. Going over a speed bump at 40KM was a non-issue and the suspension system absorbed the bump without effort. This was a different story with the CX-5 as it alarmingly jolted going over the same speed bump at 40KM. If I were holding a hot cup of coffee, I would have spilled it all over myself. The gas mileage on the CX-5 is truly amazing and nothing on the market in a compact SUV can beat that. I finally decided to order the 2013 Ford Escape SE AWD with panoramic roof and leather comfort package and the total price ( with current promotional Ford employee price plan: Plan A ) was less than the cost of the CX-5 GS AWD. These are my personal experiences and opinions, hopefully I won't be flamed for posting my comments on this forum.

No flame from me. You bought the right car for YOU. Thats what its all about. Thanks for taking the time to post on a forum for the car you didnt choose and give the reasons why. Its interesting to see.
Enjoy your escape!

I don't see why you'd get flamed... everyone has its own taste and it's a good thing.

I didn't test drive the CX-5 or the Escape yet (will do next week, 95% chance I'll pick the CX-5 but who knows), both are good looking SUV but the interior of the escape didn't really catch my eye, there's just too much happening for me (electronicly) plus the salesman was... disturbing.

Congrats on your purchase though :)

Congrats! yes it's all about personal preference.. pretty sure there aren't any 15 year olds in here to flame you for choosing Ford Escape over CX-5 :D

Both Escape and CX-5 are both competitive products, good choices.

I've driven both back to back yesterday.

Last edited:
(flame2)(flame2)(flame2)(flame2)(flame2)(gun)(getout)

Okay, just kidding. I couldn't resist! Ford has been making some good and reliable vehicles lately and I commend them for not taking the governments (actually ours) money. (thumb)

I also thought the lack of a cargo cover was an issue until I saw the US standard window tint on my GT and you can not see into the trunk area due to the dark glass...

What's a cargo cover cost, 'bout $200 retail, not a deciding factor for me. Agreed rear tinting is very dark and effective. I also keep a couple black towels in back to cover things.

Last edited:
I test drove a Mazda cx-5 three times before making my decision to purchase a new car. I found the ride very comfortable and the standard equipment on the GS trim was more than enough for my style and needs. Each time I drove the vehicle, I noticed some issues that were mentioned on this form, such as, hood flutter going over speed bumps and driver side mirror vibrations at highway speeds. There is quite a bit of road noise inside the vehicle when the radio is turned off. This may be due to the tires chosen, but add the excessive engine noise when accelerating ( 155HP for this vehicle may be under powered), and it became a deal breaker. The blind spot monitoring system, backup camera, moon roof, and integrated mirror turn signals are great features in the GS Trim. The seats ere very supportive and comfortable. The lack of a cargo cover was insane and it is an extra cost option that the dealer had no stock. Interesting enough, you can buy one on ebay for the 2013 Mazda CX-5. I almost purchased one after my 3rd test drive, but decided to test drive a 2013 Ford Escape just to compare as they were now available at dealers in Montreal. The vehicle I test drove was a 2013 Ford Escape with SE trim and a 1.6 L Ecoboost engine. My first reaction was how much more power this vehicle had over the CX-5. The interior noise level was much better and the suspension seems firmer. Going over a speed bump at 40KM was a non-issue and the suspension system absorbed the bump without effort. This was a different story with the CX-5 as it alarmingly jolted going over the same speed bump at 40KM. If I were holding a hot cup of coffee, I would have spilled it all over myself. The gas mileage on the CX-5 is truly amazing and nothing on the market in a compact SUV can beat that. I finally decided to order the 2013 Ford Escape SE AWD with panoramic roof and leather comfort package and the total price ( with current promotional Ford employee price plan: Plan A ) was less than the cost of the CX-5 GS AWD. These are my personal experiences and opinions, hopefully I won't be flamed for posting my comments on this forum.

the escape look turn me down at first sight. just my own opinion. don't flame me.

Some of the reviews that I have read on the Escape have mentioned more interior rattles with the panoramic roof because it isn't as rigid.

I'm glad to hear you liked the Escape. I've heard very good things about it, but have not driven one yet... just sat in one for a minute. After the CX5, the Escape would be the next choice. I hope Ford sells them by the truckload.... it's good for my business lol.

Some of the reviews that I have read on the Escape have mentioned more interior rattles with the panoramic roof because it isn't as rigid.

Hey 1ba67, Thanks for the heads up on the interior rattles with the panoramic roof option.

No flame from me. You bought the right car for YOU. Thats what its all about. Thanks for taking the time to post on a forum for the car you didnt choose and give the reasons why. Its interesting to see.
Enjoy your escape!

Exactly, although I wish I had the free time to post in forums for every car we didn't buy......

We briefly considered a Ford and perhaps their attitude has changed in recent years but I worked of a Ford dealer about 10 years ago and Ford's attitude towards the customers was typically "too bad" in response to problems.

I remember the service manager telling customers that had repeated problems with warped brake rotors "We can replace them under warranty but they will be with the same Ford part that will just warp again. Or if you are willing to pay for the part we can replace them with aftermarket ones that won't warp in the next month"

We rented an Edge about 4 years ago with about 2,000 miles on it and it just died on a freeway onramp with my wife driving and she had nowhere to pull off.
There's the heart warming story of Ford stealing the invention of the intermittent windshield wipers.
And then there was their wonderful thin film ignitions that Ford knew would likely overheat where they mounted them but they didn't want to spend a couple dollars more per car and mount them in a better place.
And don't even get me started on the whole kids getting burned to death because Ford didn't bother extending the fix for punctured gas tanks in rear end collisions beyond police cars:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNF0HbX0KAGxxxIxdluFi8dzmeKaqA&cad=rja

Last edited:
Yet it was a classic first post.

Lines like these are questionable:

"My first reaction was how much more power this vehicle had over the CX-5. The interior noise level was much better and the suspension seems firmer. Going over a speed bump at 40KM was a non-issue and the suspension system absorbed the bump without effort. This was a different story with the CX-5 as it alarmingly jolted going over the same speed bump at 40KM. If I were holding a hot cup of coffee, I would have spilled it all over myself."

Last edited:
Hey CX-SV.... I was the one that posted those comments. I been driving all sorts of vehicles from muscle cars in the late seventies to sport bikes in the eight's. I been reading this forum for quite some time and I found "everyone's" input very informative. I felt a need to post my experiences with the CX-5 with an open mind and with honesty.

In one of your posts in this thread, you mentioned that you test drove both the CX-5 and the 2013 Escape back to back. Why not enlighten us with your thoughts of these 2 vehicles.

Hey CX-SV.... I was the one that posted those comments. I been driving all sorts of vehicles from muscle cars in the late seventies to sport bikes in the eight's. I been reading this forum for quite some time and I found "everyone's" input very informative. I felt a need to post my experiences with the CX-5 with an open mind and with honesty.

In one of your posts in this thread, you mentioned that you test drove both the CX-5 and the 2013 Escape back to back. Why not enlighten us with your thoughts of these 2 vehicles.

Yes Blaster, please find my thread just below this one, "Just drove CX-5's most direct and latest US market competitor today", it will give some highlights of the back-to-back drives.

Yes Blaster, please find my thread just below this one, "Just drove CX-5's most direct and latest US market competitor today", it will give some highlights of the back-to-back drives.

I stand corrected. Your posted review is very good. Pretty much coincides with most auto journalist reviews of the 2013 Ford Escape. The Mazda CX-5 is a very nice CUV with great gas mileage. Congrats on the purchase of your GT.

Back