Fuelly

V8toilet

:
2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport
Anyone know how to add fuelly to their signature? I can't figure it out.

thanks

Log-in to your fuelly account, click on your vehicle and down on the lower right you'll see 'share your MPG'. Copy the code from the page of the badge you want to add and paste it in your signature on this site.

Thanks for the tip Macksma. It appears to be working. Hey V8, I think I have read many of your posts on the Tundra Solutions forum, no?

Does fuelly have a app for the phone? I haven't seen one yet.

They do, kind of, http://m.fuelly.com/ enter that on your mobile phone in the browser, then you can save the page to your 'home page' and an app type button shows. Once you log in, the page to enter your fuel purchases shows. You can choose to stay logged in so you can just start right at the page.

So I signed up for Fuelly recently. On my last tank of gas my gauge showed 28.6 MPG but when I put the odometer figures into Fuelly they show it as 26 MPG. Am I doing something wrong? that figure was taken with an initial Fuel up back on 9/1 and then a second fuel up on 9/10. I always fill to full no partial fuel ups, just confused I guess.

The car calculation doesn't seem to be exact and the fuelly calculation depends on the gas pump cutting off at exactly the same level every time. I would trust the fuelly calculation as being accurate over time though. Sometimes the pump will cut off a little earlier or later but it all evens out. I've seen that the mpg shown by the CX-5 is usually 0-2 mpg higher than my fuelly calculation.

Does fuelly have a app for the phone? I haven't seen one yet.

You might know this already but if you enter your mobile # on your fuelly settings page, you can just send a text from your mobile phone with a specific format and it will automatically enter it for your account (don't need to log in). Just text with your odometer (or trip) miles, <space>, price per gallon (or liter), <space>, then # of gallons (or liters).

After this, fuelly will immediately text you back with your MPG for the tank and your overall average. I think this is better than a seperate app.

The car calculation doesn't seem to be exact and the fuelly calculation depends on the gas pump cutting off at exactly the same level every time. I would trust the fuelly calculation as being accurate over time though. Sometimes the pump will cut off a little earlier or later but it all evens out. I've seen that the mpg shown by the CX-5 is usually 0-2 mpg higher than my fuelly calculation.

Something I have observed on these forums are consistent complaints that the cx-5's computer is 3% optimistic and the speedometer is 3% slow when compared to a GPS. If that is legit, then fuelly reporting is also 3% low.

Ok makes sense now, I switched to tripometer figures instead of odometer curious to see if that will do it. Still not sure if I trust Fuelly's or my own gauges :D

Something I have observed on these forums are consistent complaints that the cx-5's computer is 3% optimistic and the speedometer is 3% slow when compared to a GPS. If that is legit, then fuelly reporting is also 3% low.

If your odometer is accurate then Fuelly is correct. It is not related to the speedometer.

Maybe, but the speedometer is measuring rate and odometer is measuring distance. Both would be off if you had a different size tire but the speedometer could be off and the odometer accurate when stock. If you drive on an interstate most have mile markers so you can check you odometer fairly accurately if you stay in the same lane and drive ten mile markers and compare you odometer change or better yet drive a greater distance...

Maybe, but the speedometer is measuring rate and odometer is measuring distance.
They aren't measuring, they are reporting. Typically a vehicle speed sensor runs off of the final drive of the transmission and sends a signal to the other components in the vehicle.

Both would be off if you had a different size tire but the speedometer could be off and the odometer accurate when stock. If you drive on an interstate most have mile markers so you can check you odometer fairly accurately if you stay in the same lane and drive ten mile markers and compare you odometer change or better yet drive a greater distance...

I would be surprised, and a little disappointed in Mazda, if the speedometer was off and the odometer was correct, but it's possible. I think some of the new GPS units can record mileage like an odometer, we need to have someone check with one of those.

Typically a vehicle speed sensor runs off of the final drive of the transmission and sends a signal to the other components in the vehicle.

Yes, but now that ABS, TCS, DSC, TPMS, 4 wheel lockup etc. is all in the same computer, it can drive all that and the speedometer and odometer from the required wheel speed sensors and eliminate the drive line pickup. I am not sure if they have done that yet but it would be easy and less expensive - simply a matter of programming. If they have done that and the program is correct the speedometer and odometer will be in lock step on accuracy unless the analog speedometer dial itself is off. I find the digital speed on the GPS easier to read and use to set my cruse with...

Except fuelly data is based on the odometer. On my GT with 7400 miles comparing the odometer to mile markers on the interstate it reads 9.9 miles for a 10 mile marker or 1% less that the actual miles traveled. It appears that for a car with newish tires, fuelly is 1% low on mileage calculation. However, as the tread wears down from 10/32 too 2/32 (mine are about 8/32 now) the distance measured will go up by 1.7% as the tires will be smaller and will turn 1.7% more times per mile. So the odometer will be correct when the tires are worn with about 40% of tread left. It is kind of like a stopped clock that will be correct twice a day. This will also move the speedometer in the direction of being correct, if low 2% with new tires it will be low 0.3% with tires with 2/32 tread left so as your tires wear you should get close to the digital GPS speed, probably closer that you can read the difference on the speedometer dial.

Back