CX-5 2.0 slow and sluggish, but not after break in.

V8toilet

:
2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport
I've noticed that after 2800 miles on the ODO that the engine seems to be much more peppy and the transmission is more willing to down shift than ever before. My wife who drove it mostly when I first bought it drove it last week and commented on it too. Just wanted to throw this out there for what its worth. Still love driving it to work every day, its plain fun to drive especially in the corners and I love the manual like transmission. The transmission feels a lot like a manual in its direct feel.

Last edited:
I kind of thoguht the same thing as well with 1k km. Seems a little peppier than the test drive with only 15 km on the car. Can't say I notice a difference in shifting though.

I noticed subtle improvement after 4K miles.

I think it has something to do with experience with throttle (auto mode) and using right amount of throttle to get desired kick down/gear quickly. It's especially important with any car with modest power to have lots of reasonably close and usable ratios (6speeds at least).

I don't know if tranny learns (like some do) driving habits of the driver to improve responsiveness.

Last edited:
CX-SV I think you're right because when I get into my wife's Kia Rondo and tap the throttle for the first time I almost make it spin the tires as it lurches off the line because I'm used to the longer less sensitive throttle of the Mazda. Also the transmissions from my 2001 Tundra and our 2001 Jetta had a learning logic that adapted to the way we drove the vehicle over time and I think the Mazda is no different.

I do that once a week at lunch. My friend has a new black Vette, (rough ride, stinks of fiberglass, manual shifter is clunky, keys can get locked in car, electric door switches are a joke), prefer Porsches.

V8 My 2000 vet gets 27-30 in my rural/interstate driving, with cruse set at 85 or below it will walk up to 30 mpg, it has 78,000 miles and has only seen the shop for warranty/switch recall work, still has orginal brake pads, its an auto with standard rear end ratio and it turns 1800 rpm at 80mph which gives it the milage. When they went to the 1998 and higher the cars are a lot better than before. When you get it off cruse and kick it the milage will go down... I recently replaced the dirve belt and idler pulleys as they were making a bit of noise when very hot in GA.

FYI,

I recently disconnected my battery to install a aftermarket auto system. The car is now running kind of rough just like when it was new, appears the computer has to relearn itself. Someone said its going to take about 100 miles before its back to normal. We will see

hollis - Good experiment, athough your CX-5 is manual tranny I assume. Many of us with auto trannys are wondering if the auto tranny learns driver behavior like some do.

Answer (in owners manual):

"Active Adaptive Shift (AAS) automatically controls the transaxle shift points to best suit the road conditions and driver input." "This improves driver comfort."

I've noticed it works quite well, more responsive than when I first purchased vehicle.

Only at 1800 miles. There seems like to be gradual improvement in response time since mile 5.

I tested it with a relatively accurate instrument called a G-tech, which is an accelerometer. I got 0-60 in 8.44 seconds so not as slow as many think.

Yes, slightly slower than competitors with significantly better gas mileage. No other compact SUV in North American market beats CX-5 for fuel efficiency.

Also what is happening especially for slightly aggressive drivers (like me) via the AAS is the tranny shift points are changing, downshifts are happening sooner with less throttle pressure. This does not come without a cost, gas mileage takes a small hit as a result (mine was closer to 27mpg before, now consistening closer to 26mpg in similar conditions, about a 1/2 mile per gallon change at the most). The end result is gradual improvement in responsiveness (as indicated by CX-5um), making it easier to drive crisply.

You're just becoming acclimated to its slowness.
I have been pleasantly surprised by its peppiness. There is a steep hill in my neighborhood that my old Jetta used to crawl up if I didn't get a good run on it. Last night I was driving my CX-5 up the same hill and decided to punch it. I don't want to know what I did to my fuel economy, but I have to say that I was impressed with how fast I went up that hill.

Some that want more power would be first to complain about the resulting gas mileage (wait 'til we get the 2.5L Skyactiv to show us what I'm talking about) probably shouldn't buy a SUV of any kind. The typical SUV high curb weight, large frontal area, common awd configuration (even with the efficiencies of Skyactiv chassis and body) is not the way to achieve the best in fuel economy.

Last edited:
I also believe that the ECM & TCM are self learning. This means that if we drive our CX5 in a sporting manor then the shift points and throttle settings will reflect that profile. Ed

I also believe that the ECM & TCM are self learning. This means that if we drive our CX5 in a sporting manor then the shift points and throttle settings will reflect that profile. Ed

Yes, as stated in owners manual:

"Active Adaptive Shift (AAS) automatically controls the transaxle shift points to best suit the road conditions and driver input." "This improves driver comfort."

Btw, it works.

I've been wondering about how it works. A lot of reviews complain about how it takes a lot of pedal pressure to get it to downshift. I experienced that too on my test drive. I was wondering if it learns after awhile that the driver is trying to provoke downshifts, and then downshifts with less pressure?

Back