Info on how the awd system works?

:
Former 2013 CX-5 GT owner
Does anyone know specifics on how it works? For example, the sampling rate for front wheel slip etc? Is it full fwd until it senses slip?

In my 05 escape(traded for the mazda) I have never felt the front tires slip or spin in mud or on cement etc. The awd system was very well incorporated. I'm pretty sure Ive felt the front wheels spin just a little a few times in the cx-5 so I'm just curious how finely tuned it is to wheel slippage etc. Any info out there on the awd system?

Last edited:
Theres a few youtube videos showing off the awd system. I think they are in another language though but it doesn't matter as you can see the car in action. One was in the snow the other was on an off road dirt course.

The car lets the fronts slip slightly before the rears kick in. I bet it is to help with acceleration.

Its kinda like the traction control system. It slips a liiiitle, then sends power to the other wheels. In normal driving, all of the power is going to the front wheels.

i really really wish there was some indication of when it was activating

and better still, a way to force to be enabled from a start, hopefully some enterprising hacker/engineer somewhere will figure out if there's a trigger line that we can patch into and put a switch on

I really want it to work so smoothly that I have no indication that it's even engaged or disengaged.

I really want it to work so smoothly that I have no indication that it's even engaged or disengaged.

this.

It's designed that way and for a reason. The last thing you want is a light turning on every time power is diverted to the rear wheels.

If you want to force it to work, spin the wheels... or try to.

^ Exactly, don't need flashing lights or operator errors used as excuses for crashes.

this.

It's designed that way and for a reason. The last thing you want is a light turning on every time power is diverted to the rear wheels.

If you want to force it to work, spin the wheels... or try to.

uh that defeats the purpose of being able to manually engage it, to keep the wheels from spinning....

uh that defeats the purpose of being able to manually engage it, to keep the wheels from spinning....

The AWD can engage in a fraction of a second when slippage is detected. So fast that you will likely not even notice anything. Theres no point really to being able to lock them unless you are off roading which no one should do in a cx5.

The AWD can engage in a fraction of a second when slippage is detected. So fast that you will likely not even notice anything. Theres no point really to being able to lock them unless you are off roading which no one should do in a cx5.

And if they leave it locked on dry roads, eventually they might have a warranty-voiding experience mechanically.

The AWD can engage in a fraction of a second when slippage is detected. So fast that you will likely not even notice anything. Theres no point really to being able to lock them
living in il i should think you'd be familiar with driveway snow accumulations
but there are many other situations, carrying landscaping materials onto a wet lawn, the list can go on

unless you are off roading which no one should do in a cx5.

really? why is that?

there's test drive videos of the cx5 off roading, it's tied for highest ground clearance in class (with the outlander sport)

And if they leave it locked on dry roads, eventually they might have a warranty-voiding experience mechanically.

easily rectified since by either being time limited or dis-engaged at a specific speed (say 15mph)

easily rectified since by either being time limited or dis-engaged at a specific speed (say 15mph)

Not worth the bother to Mazda, the incremental sales increase resulting from this feature on a crossover (versus a Jeep Wrangler) is not significant. I know professional landscapers and the business vehicles they select are not this kind of vehicle.

In CA we deal with snow accumulations measured in feet (not inches) in Sierras/Lake Tahoe area on roads with altitudes above 6000 feet, we do see value in awd/4wd.

Not worth the bother to Mazda, the incremental sales increase resulting from this feature on a crossover (versus a Jeep Wrangler) is not significant. I know professional landscapers and the business vehicles they select are not this kind of vehicle.

In CA we deal with snow accumulations measured in feet (not inches) in Sierras/Lake Tahoe area on roads with altitudes above 6000 feet, we do see value in awd/4wd.

i live just south of one of the highest snowfall areas in the us, so i'm familiar with large quantities snow (rolleyes)

and just because this isn't a vehicle a landscaper would purchase is irrelevant, i was merely coming up with one possible scenario where being able to manually temporarily engage the awd would be advantageous

i live just south of one of the highest snowfall areas in the us, so i'm familiar with large quantities snow (rolleyes)

and just because this isn't a vehicle a landscaper would purchase is irrelevant, i was merely coming up with one possible scenario where being able to manually temporarily engage the awd would be advantageous

I see your point about one possible (and valid) scenario where it might (possibly) be advantageous to be able to lockup.

But a company like Mazda (as well as other major automakers) develops vehicles for larger markets than a dozen DIY landscapers, so to Mazda that small group is irrelevant.

I agree. 99.99% of buyers will buy the car for a daily commuter/grocery getter/soccer practice pickerupper. There are much better cars out there than a CUV if you intend to do more than that.

I agree. 99.99% of buyers will buy the car for a daily commuter/grocery getter/soccer practice pickerupper. There are much better cars out there than a CUV if you intend to do more than that.

Yes, having the highest ground clearance of a CUV (with no skidplates btw) does not make a vehicle capable offroad. The vid of CX-5 offroad was not put out by Mazda.

Part of that Skyactiv tech on the CX-5 included a newly-developed all-wheel drive system that weighed 44 per cent less than the previous unit and, said Mazda, reduced energy loss by up to 52 per cent through ‘controlled torque distribution.’
http://zoomzoomhouston.mobi/news
http://www.mazda-news.eu/2011/12/13/cx-5-chassis-body-–-the-interplay-of-performance-and-structures/

Torque distribution is 100/0 - 50/50 front to rear, but it's almost never 100/0, more likely 98/2, so it's pretty much permanent AWD. 100/0 is at very low speed (think parking lot). There was a video on youtube (mazda 6 mps) explaining this:

There should be made clear distinction between "all terrain drive' (real off-roaders, with diff lock, hi/lo gears..) and "all weather drive" (SUVs, CUVs....). Mazda 6 MPS, CX-5/7/9 are all for all-weather drive and they do perfect job.

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited:
Back