Trunk mounted bike carrier

:
2013 Mazda CX5 GT AWD Tech Package
Hi all. Does anyone have a trunk mounted bike carrier? I don't have a trailer hitch or roof rack and I was considering getting the trunk mounted ones. Can anyone recommend a good one? I've seen some but I'm concerned about it possibly scratching the paint or denting the body panels. If anyone has one can you share your experience with them? Thanks.

I have a Thule 3 bike version. It does not work with the CX-5. The top support straps would need to hook over the top of the hatch but the rear spoiler in the way.

Install the trailer hitch and get a hitch mounted rack. Much better and no need to worry about it damaging your car.

Thanks for the replies. I think i'll splurge a bit more and get a hitch to be on the safe side.

I installed a Thule 4 bike mount to a rear hitch set up that allows it to tilt downward. I used E-trailer.com and got a very good price on them although they did have to match an Amazon price that came in slightly less. Take note...the rear hitch I got for some odd reason came way to close to the exhaust tips so there was noise on bumps. I paid my local mechanic $25 and he took off a piece with his mig weld-- noise gone! I will try to get pics posted soon.

I too have a Thule 4 bike mount with a Curt class 2 hitch #12080. Pretty easy to install(no drilling required) Just drop the exhaust from the rubber mounts and bolt on hitch. The instructions are pretty good that come from Curt. I think I got it off www.hitchweb.com. I also had a problem with the hitch being too close the the exhaust tips, Curt put out a revision, i called their customer support and they shipped a new one to me and problem solved :) they even called the courier and set up a pick up time for the return.

Install the trailer hitch and get a hitch mounted rack. Much better and no need to worry about it damaging your car.

I agree.

The bike rack that you mentioned puts alot of stress on the bumper and hatch. My brother had a bad experience with his old Protege and one bike. It didn't scratch anything, but put two small dimples in his bumper. I don't think its worth the trouble.

Back