PDA

View Full Version : HID's and DRL's on Halogen CX-5 (w/out Tech Package) HELP!

mike786
06-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Hello, i have a 2013 CX-5 Grand Touring w/ out Tech Package (halogen lights) and i was looking to get HID's and DRL's for my car. I had a few questions if you could please answer for me that would be great. I was gonna get these lights for my car.

If you have a CX-5 with With halogen bulb headlights (Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring without Tech Package) in US model use the following:
Headlights Low: H11 (H11)
Headlights High: HB3 (HB3)
Daytime running lights: HB3 (HB3)

DRL's: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Da...d_sku45_r4.htm
HID's: http://www.extremebrightleds.com/Pro...Code=R-HID-H11

I read somewhere that you loose the high beam function if u replace the DRL's on the CX-5's without the Tech Package do you know if that is true? Are these the correct bulbs to use for my car? Is is really hard to install them in the car and how long do you think it would take?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

stromdriver
06-21-2012, 12:51 AM
in the halogen setup, the drls are actually the highbeams in a 'low power' mode (vw does the same thing but with lowbeams) so if you replace those hb3's with leds, you'll still have drls, but that will be all you get for your 'highbeam' too, not to mention that with many leds, running them at less than standard voltage will make them not work, or fail early

mike786
06-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Ohh ok thank you... so u suggest not messing around with the DRL's and just change the halogen bulbs to DDM HID's??

stromdriver
06-21-2012, 08:59 AM
if you are so inclined, yes

mike786
06-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Do u know if it still keeps the automatic headlight function? Because i keep mine on auto and it automatically turns on at night

stromdriver
06-21-2012, 10:20 PM
no idea, i would imagine so, the sensor just triggers the relay to apply power to the bulb, so if the packs for the hid take their trigger from the stock connectors, it should be ok
i'm not a fan of the auto setup, turning hid's on and off alot isn't good for them (going in and out of tunnels, garages, heavy wooded areas) that those auto sensors always trip on...

mike786
06-22-2012, 05:42 PM
ohh ok so overall the install process is easy right? its not too hard? i dont want to mess anything up...

milkyxj
06-22-2012, 06:03 PM
DDM kits plug right into the factory wiring. just replace the bulb, plug in the ballast between the factory wire and the bulb and mount/hide the ballasts. No wires to cut, no holes to drill.

mike786
06-23-2012, 10:40 AM
ohh ok thank you! i have a black cx-5 what color hid do you recommend? i was going to get the 8000k but i kind of want 10000k

rmac
06-23-2012, 01:10 PM
ohh ok thank you! i have a black cx-5 what color hid do you recommend? i was going to get the 8000k but i kind of want 10000kWow! Good luck trying to see anything with those color temperatures. I would recommend no higher than 6000k.

EricF
06-23-2012, 01:12 PM
ohh ok thank you! i have a black cx-5 what color hid do you recommend? i was going to get the 8000k but i kind of want 10000k

going that high, will just give you blue lights and not improve the lighting. You will probably get pulled over for it too. I'd stick with 5000k-6000k.

mike786
06-23-2012, 02:19 PM
i ordered the 8000k h11 35w bulbs from ddm tuning and gonna install it sometime next week. Thanks for all the responses ill let u know how it goes

webslinger
07-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Qn: Is there a written law against how high is too high for the temp?

stromdriver
07-02-2012, 07:54 PM

prolly varies with locality, i know in ny its illegal to have blue,red,green lights on the front of your vehicle
problem with getting far out into the ends of the temp ranges you're losing so much light for the sake of appearance, you approach being a 'ricer'....

yetti96
07-03-2012, 11:13 AM

OEM colors are about 4300k to 5000K any more than that is noticeable to the HID trained eye but most people still get away with 6000K to get a hint of blue, 8000K and above is pushing it and rice IMO.

So anything not OEM looking will stick out as being illegal. Putting HIDs in our projectors housings is borderline illegal as it didn't ship from the factory with HIDs in those housings but I doubt anyone would ever know.

Jwlj
07-04-2012, 05:09 PM
The question You should be asking is, are the HID kits legal?
Short answer is no.
If your car came with HID lights equipped on that exact car, then it is legal to drive with them.
If you do an after market HID kit ( both the cheap PnP kits from DDM and other companies, or do a Retro fit of you headlights using an actual HID projector from another car) then it is NOT legal.

Here is just one reference for you to review.
http://fmvss108.tripod.com/nhtsa_legal_interpretations.htm
Granted it isn't the law, but you get an idea as to how they view things.

Halogen headlights are designed for that type of bulb. The light emission point of the bulb and the shaping of the halogen reflector around the bulb are designed for a relatively low intensity of light.

The halogen lights we have on our car utilize a projector, similar to appearance to the ones you see for OEM HID lighting systems, they however are still designed for a halogen bulb and it's lower intensity light discharge.

HID projectors are designed with a safety feature to prevent the high amount of light being projected from glaring on comming traffic. When you hear about a cut-off this is what they are talking about. There is more to it than that but you can get the idea.
yes our Halogen projectors have a cut off feature, but it is not the same.

Will you get pulled over for putting a PnP kit in your car? maybe, maybe no. police do not know what cars have what lighting options, but keep in mind cops do drive other cars and may own the exact model you are driving and WILL know about that car.
having an OEM projector headlight will make it more difficult for a police officer to know if you are legal or not.

As for retrofitting another cars OEM projector into yours, probably the best and safest way to get away with non Equipped HID lighting in your car. Plus, the performance you get is much greater than any PnP kit you will buy.
They are expensive though. But you get what you pay for.

Costs may go down if a group buy is done.
I am looking at this option. Doing a quad FX set up or a hybrid FX and S2K deal.
Going quad or dual will lose your DRLs though.

If you've never heard of this option look at these sites.

Parts
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

How to
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

Retrofitters (will do the work for you)
http://hidillusionz.blogspot.com/
http://www.lightwerkz.net/
http://www.customlightz.com/

Probably the most legal way to do it, is to buy replacement OEM HID lights from the dealer.
I'm not sure how the wiring differs. Not something I've fully researched.

Also, with HIDs, the bulbs color shift over time. if used long enough a 4300k bulb can look like a 9000k bulb, but that would take a VERY long time.
If your lights look too blue you will be pulled over and have the light tested to see if is a blue bulb or a HID bulb with a blue appearance. There is a difference. A white piece of paper will turn blue with a blue bulb, will will look more white with the hid bulb.

That being said 4300-5500k gives you the most useable light output. yeah, you might not look like you belong on the fast and the furious, but you'll be safe.
My civic had SC430 projectors in my retro fit with 4300 bulbs. The light was nearly white, and when you looked at the car, it had a blue/purple flicker.

markiee
07-04-2012, 09:24 PM
My dumb question about DRL,
so for the Non-tech pack, is can replace the High beam to LED?
Do you need the conversion kit or just replace with HB3 LED?

stromdriver
07-05-2012, 12:09 AM
My dumb question about DRL,
so for the Non-tech pack, is can replace the High beam to LED?

sure, if you dont mind not having high beams anymore, and possible burning out those led bulbs more often from them running at too low of a voltage

webslinger
07-05-2012, 12:17 PM
i ordered the 8000k h11 35w bulbs from ddm tuning and gonna install it sometime next week. Thanks for all the responses ill let u know how it goes

So... how did it go and how much did it cost you? Did you change the DRL's as well?

mike786
07-05-2012, 01:49 PM
So... how did it go and how much did it cost you? Did you change the DRL's as well?

Still waiting on the hid's to arrive. Should come either today or tomorrow. http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

I wanted to change the DRL's really bad but its not a good idea for me (on the halogen models) because you loose your highbeam function.

Jwlj
07-05-2012, 04:49 PM
There is a oem led drl kit and aftermarket led drl kit that removes the drl from the headlights via a wire harness. I'm trying to find a way to get them sent to the USA. There are posts on them here.

milkyxj
07-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Installed my DDM kits today, here is the write up. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123817753-Aftermarket-HID-kit-installation

mike786
07-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Im thinking about just switching my yellow halogen DRL to the white 9005 LED bulbs. I hate the look of the yellow bulbs. I dont think i will be ever using the highbeam function anyway cause im getting HID's too. Do you guys think its a good idea?

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-For-Lexus-IS-GS-SC-p/led_sku45_r4.htm

Jwlj
07-29-2012, 08:59 AM
...... I dont think i will be ever using the highbeam function anyway cause im getting HID's too.

wtf does that mean? You can have high beams with HID....
Bi-xenon

stromdriver
07-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Bi-xenon

not with the stock housing halogen housing, it doesn't have the moving shutter to switch between hi/lo beams to make it 'bi-xenon'

mike786
07-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Bi-xenon

not with the stock housing halogen housing, it doesn't have the moving shutter to switch between hi/lo beams to make it 'bi-xenon'

Exactly

stromdriver
07-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Im thinking about just switching my yellow halogen DRL to the white 9005 LED bulbs. I hate the look of the yellow bulbs. I dont think i will be ever using the highbeam function anyway cause im getting HID's too. Do you guys think its a good idea?

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-For-Lexus-IS-GS-SC-p/led_sku45_r4.htm

eh not sure thats a good idea, unless those bulbs are multi voltage rated, the lower power mode the drls run instead of the full voltage for highbeams could damage the leds or make them not run at all

if you really want led drls, do what i was going to do before i found out the tech package had drls (and could swap out the bulb)
get some side emitting led strips, relatively cheap on ebay, just make sure they're waterproof, then mount them along the top edge of the headlights just inside of the lip of the hood (so they're protected) and wire them to an acc switched fuse

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x244/slamstrom/Accord.jpg

mike786
07-29-2012, 07:21 PM
I dont really want to add anything extra i just want to change the stock yellow bulb to white

Jwlj
07-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Exactly

1) You can buy a pair of stock oem hid headlights and replace your factory halogens. The wiring is a little different, but easy to overcome.

2) Retrofit a set of bi-xenon projectors into the headlights. That is my plan. Currently waiting on a particular set of parts to finish testing before I start the process.

Unsullied
07-30-2012, 08:06 PM
So can anyone tell me what I need if all I want to do is change out the DRL's on a Touring without the Tech package? The regular head lights are bright enough for me but I want the DRL's to be a little whiter/brighter.

stromdriver
07-30-2012, 08:46 PM
So can anyone tell me what I need if all I want to do is change out the DRL's on a Touring without the Tech package? The regular head lights are bright enough for me but I want the DRL's to be a little whiter/brighter.

they most likely wont be brighter if they even work at all
to run high beams as drls most cars run a lower voltage feed to them,
that is bad for led's to run them under their designed power

if you found some leds that ran under a range of voltages then maybe, but without knowing what the car puts out in drl mode, you wouldn't know what appropriate range you should get and consequently run the risk of either having them not work, or having them die prematurely and replacing them 'frequently'

you could try running something like the sylvania ultra silver stars, they will be 'whiter' under normal usage, but not sure if they wont still be yellowish at reduced voltages as drls

theorie
07-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Please don't put blue bulbs in your car...

Unsullied
07-30-2012, 09:45 PM
they most likely wont be brighter if they even work at all
to run high beams as drls most cars run a lower voltage feed to them,
that is bad for led's to run them under their designed power

if you found some leds that ran under a range of voltages then maybe, but without knowing what the car puts out in drl mode, you wouldn't know what appropriate range you should get and consequently run the risk of either having them not work, or having them die prematurely and replacing them 'frequently'

you could try running something like the sylvania ultra silver stars, they will be 'whiter' under normal usage, but not sure if they wont still be yellowish at reduced voltages as drls

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The DRL's act as the high beams when the headlights are on?

mike786
07-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Do you think this could work to swap out the oem DRL halogen bulb with this one???? Do you think the high beam function would function as the oem bulb would?

http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-5000K-Halogen-Daytime-Running/dp/B008C9L9V0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343698650&sr=8-3&keywords=9005+hb3+halogen

stromdriver
07-30-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The DRL's act as the high beams when the headlights are on?

ok, in the non-tech cars, the high beam does double duty as the drl also, since you can't drive around with highbeams on all day long they run them at a lower voltage than normal so its not as bright, so they can be used as drls

for instance (the drl voltage here is completely arbitrary on my part, just picked random value for sake of the description, i have no idea what the actual drl voltage is)
when headlights are on, and you select highbeams, the bulbs receive 12v dc
when headlights are off, and car initializes drls, the bulbs receive 8v dc so they aren't as bright as normal and dont glare

Do you think this could work to swap out the oem DRL halogen bulb with this one???? Do you think the high beam function would function as the oem bulb would?

http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-5000K-Halogen-Daytime-Running/dp/B008C9L9V0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343698650&sr=8-3&keywords=9005+hb3+halogen
yeah that appears to be just another halogen bulb but with a coating on the glass to make them appear more 'white' (although reducing total light output in the process) so it should operate as normal

mike786
07-30-2012, 10:38 PM
yeah that appears to be just another halogen bulb but with a coating on the glass to make them appear more 'white' (although reducing total light output in the process) so it should operate as normal

Okay cool my only concern is that it says "(Set of 2) 65W Xenon Gas Halogen Xenon Bulbs"

is 65w okay to use?

Unsullied
07-30-2012, 11:11 PM
ok, in the non-tech cars, the high beam does double duty as the drl also, since you can't drive around with highbeams on all day long they run them at a lower voltage than normal so its not as bright, so they can be used as drls

for instance (the drl voltage here is completely arbitrary on my part, just picked random value for sake of the description, i have no idea what the actual drl voltage is)
when headlights are on, and you select highbeams, the bulbs receive 12v dc
when headlights are off, and car initializes drls, the bulbs receive 8v dc so they aren't as bright as normal and dont glare

Oh okay, I see. So it's really just about finding a whiter bulb with the same voltages? And that bulb that Mike picked out looks like exactly what I want, around 5000k, but you say it's just a coating on the bulb that makes it seem whiter? Does that make a difference?

mike786
07-31-2012, 10:48 AM
I ordered those bulbs from amazon and they should be coming in on friday i will let you know the result sometime during the weekend.

Jwlj
08-01-2012, 08:04 AM

The Highbeams act as DRL for CX-5's equiped with Halogen headlights.
If you have the OEM bi-xenon then the high beam bulb only acts as a DRL and the bi-xenon takes over for both low beam and high beam.

Jwlj
08-01-2012, 08:13 AM
At 5000k you are still with in the sweet spot of usable light, perhaps just a hair lower then ideal but you will hardly be able to tell.

You will run into trouble once you hit 8k and work your way up to the even more foolish temps of 12k, 15k, etc....
Here you are still running the lamp at XXWatts, however the amount of light put out that you can actually see with is greatly reduced.

With any light, make sure you understand what you are buying.
more $$$ doesn't always mean better.

I understand you are not buying these bulbs, but look at this chart from sylvania
http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgproductspecs.aspx?partnumber=9006

All quality bulbs, but weird that the cost / usable hours doesn't stack up.
You're not buying a brighter or longer lasting bulb....

Elby
08-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi, We recently purchased the 2013 CX 5 Grand Touring model with the Tech package that includes HID headlamps with AFS. My wife hates the HIDs and I have to admit I'm not too fond of them. The sharp cut-off simply provides too much "dark" area where I should be able to see without using high beams. Would much prefer to have halogen lamps. Everything I can find talks about switching from halogen to HID, but I'm interested in trying to find out if it is possible to switch out the HID for Halogens. I figure I'd have to get the ballast out of the circuit, but don't know if that entails cutting wires. Would appreciate any thoughts that you folks might be able to offer. Thanks.

stromdriver
08-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi, We recently purchased the 2013 CX 5 Grand Touring model with the Tech package that includes HID headlamps with AFS. My wife hates the HIDs and I have to admit I'm not too fond of them. The sharp cut-off simply provides too much "dark" area where I should be able to see without using high beams. Would much prefer to have halogen lamps. Everything I can find talks about switching from halogen to HID, but I'm interested in trying to find out if it is possible to switch out the HID for Halogens. I figure I'd have to get the ballast out of the circuit, but don't know if that entails cutting wires. Would appreciate any thoughts that you folks might be able to offer. Thanks.

you'll still have the same beam/cut off pattern with halogens, its a function of the projector beam setup, not because they're hid's

Jwlj
08-12-2012, 10:30 AM
All projectors have the cut off feature.
Though The halogens projectors do have some spillage I've found.

mike786
08-12-2012, 11:15 AM
The white halogen bulbs were a bust. Not white still had a tint of yellow but
more importantly it wasn't bright enough. Stock yellow bulbs were alot brighter. Returned the bulbs.

Elby
08-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Thank you for your thoughts on my question about possibly changing from HID to Halogen. I've noted on other threads that the DRLs act as the highbeams in the halogen set-up, which adds another issue to the change over, as I am trying to determine if such a change would require all new lamp assemblies or if it is a retrofit issue requiring some new wiring as well as bulbs. And one last thought/question, should I presume from the previous response that the projectors are identical on both the halogen equipped vehicle as they are on the HID equipped one? Thanks again for your thoughts.

stromdriver
08-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Thank you for your thoughts on my question about possibly changing from HID to Halogen. I've noted on other threads that the DRLs act as the highbeams in the halogen set-up, which adds another issue to the change over, as I am trying to determine if such a change would require all new lamp assemblies or if it is a retrofit issue requiring some new wiring as well as bulbs. And one last thought/question, should I presume from the previous response that the projectors are identical on both the halogen equipped vehicle as they are on the HID equipped one? Thanks again for your thoughts.

yes, projector setups are essentially the same, the beam path/cut offs on my cx-5 were very similar to the ones on my passat (halogen projector system)

you'll get used to the projectors, just give them time, changing your rig to halogens would be cost prohibitive and difficult i imagine, not without some serious cobjobbing..

Jwlj
08-13-2012, 08:07 AM
You will have to do some rewiring if you were to change... and you'd not really gain anything due to the projectors.

This is one of the times were driving the car in multiple conditions, or knowing what the cars features were would have been benificial.

If you really want Halogen's and have a factory apperance.
The time and money involved.. you might be better off trading in for a different car. The money lost might be the same as a new pair of headlights to include what ever mod you plan.... (more than likely will not have a good beam pattern with a DIY reflector)

Andy409
08-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Elby, are you still looking to switch out your headlights for halogens? Cause I have a set I am willing to trade for HID....

Maybe if its too much trouble to swap them out, you would be interested in trading? My CX-5 is about 3 weeks old

Elby
08-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks to you guys (stromdriver and jwlj) for your thoughts on my inquiry about HID lamps vs halogen lamps. Now that the days are getting shorter, I should be able to get to the dealer and drive a CX 5 with halogen projector lamps after dark. This will let me know what halogen projector lamps look like at night. If the halogen cut-off presents itself similar to the HID's, hopefully, as someone said, the HID's will just take some getting used to. I hope so. If I find a huge difference and also find that the idea of a swap is actually practical, Andy409.....I may be back in touch.

stromdriver
08-27-2012, 12:29 AM
there really should be no appreciable difference, other than the hid's being much brighter and whiter light

the cutoff's should be almost if not completely identical

this is the closest pic i could find to what the cutoffs on my hid is, and my old 03 passat with projector halogens had a very similar cutoff pattern

http://firehawk.jonbroomfield.com/hidinfo/beam_pattern.jpg

Zotaga
11-14-2013, 03:31 AM
Uh.. I have 12,000K in my 3 and I can see perfectly fine. The 12,000K actually work A LOT better when it's raining as the purple'ish light actually makes the road lines show beneath the wet surface of the road.. you people are nuts if you think you see less.. don't knock it til you try it.

Wow! Good luck trying to see anything with those color temperatures. I would recommend no higher than 6000k.

J-Chow
11-14-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm surprised you haven't been pulled over yet. 12,000 k ?!? cray cray.

skeptronism
11-19-2013, 06:12 AM
new to the forum.
just bought my CX 5 - few days ago.
was planning to install hids probably 5k-6k.

anyone knows around the vancouver bc (lower mainland area) that sells and installs them.

not mechanically inclined person. give me a PM shoutout.

thank you,
skept

kush621
02-25-2014, 03:36 PM
eh not sure thats a good idea, unless those bulbs are multi voltage rated, the lower power mode the drls run instead of the full voltage for highbeams could damage the leds or make them not run at all

if you really want led drls, do what i was going to do before i found out the tech package had drls (and could swap out the bulb)
get some side emitting led strips, relatively cheap on ebay, just make sure they're waterproof, then mount them along the top edge of the headlights just inside of the lip of the hood (so they're protected) and wire them to an acc switched fuse

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x244/slamstrom/Accord.jpg

@Stromdriver -do you have any recommendations on the LED strips? After reading through pretty much everything on the DRL LED for the non-tech's this just makes way more sense.

Surfsup
02-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Just to clarify, the measurement of brightness is "LUMENS". So if you want a "brighter" light, you want more lumens. The color (Kelvin) is just that. See chart below. 5500k is optimal daylight temperature.

http://www.breedbay.co.uk/gallery/data/588/medium/colortemp.jpg

stromdriver
02-28-2014, 01:06 AM
@Stromdriver -do you have any recommendations on the LED strips? After reading through pretty much everything on the DRL LED for the non-tech's this just makes way more sense.

yeah picked up some from superbrightleds that were pretty nice, as long as the surface your mounting them to is flat in relation to the ground their bright spot in the angle is pretty much straight out and they're not perfectly waterproof, both things i learned putting them on my wifes new outtie

the water-resistance can be improved with some careful placement and some judicious injection of clear silicone into the end the wires comes out

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/side-emitting/side-emitting-led-weatherproof-flexible-light-strip--swfls-series/1542/