Owners manual oil & tire differences

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I was reading the owners manual someone was nice enough to put on this site and noticed several interesting tidbits. The USA & Canada engines require a 0w20 oil but, a 5w30 for other countries. I also noticed that the tire pressure for the USA 17" are 34 psig but, for Mexico the pressure for up to 3 people is 33 psig and for full load the pressure jump to 38ft/41rear. In addition; it appears that Mexico gets a full diameter spare but, not the USA vehicles.

0-20 will give you better fuel mileage, than would 5-30, since its thinner. (however, it also tell you that you can use 5-30 if you can't find any 0-20)

The engine in the US is 13:1 compression ratio, while everyone else has 14:1 (I believe). So that may have something to do with it as well.

Not sure why the psi in the tires are different though, unless they are less strict in the US on how much weight the tires need to support or something. I've heard some countries don't even get a spare tire! LOL

^ Yes, we have owners in UK reporting no spare (like a Porsche, must come with a sealant and inflator).

erhayes Higher temperature may have a lot to do with tire pressure(heat build up loaded) and oil viscosity difference. I think I saw somewhere that Mexico had a different tire size? Does it have a different tow capacity?

Are the ROW oil change intervals same as US (7500 miles)?

other countries probably got the mileage Mazda was hoping for while using 5w30 due to the 14:1 compression and better octane gas. To achieve their target in the US, Mazda probably sacrificed some potential longevity by switching to piss-thin 0w20

Be interested in what the owners manual recommends as the preferred oil weight in Europe and Australia. Anyone?

Last edited:
I have zero problem with the US and Canada recommendation for using 0W-20 full synthetic.

The oil used outside of US/Canada is 5W-30 ("except U.S.A. and Canada" per owners manual) is not synthetic and I think part of the reason for that recommendation in manual is related to lack of availability of the full synthetic in some places.

And on the speculation about longevity, I think that's not applicable because so much of engine wear occurs when engine is cold and that's where the 0W-20 full synthetic excels.

Regardless that's just my opinion and I'm comfortable with Mazda's recommendations.

I agree but, still interested in what Europe & Aus manual recomends because, they do have 0w20 oil availiable.

I agree but, still interested in what Europe & Aus manual recomends because, they do or should have 0w20 oil availiable.

I agree but, still interested in what Europe & Aus manual recomends because, they do or should have 0w20 oil availiable.

Yes, but I was thinking it was 05w-30 when I read "except U.S.A. and Canada" per Mazda owners manual as written. Maybe they have the option of both oils, although I don't know the availabity of that specific 0w-20 synthetic in all of Europe or Austrailia (but "except U.S.A. and Canada" does imply ROW)....

Last edited:
Back