moon roof package

I thinking about getting the CX-5. It'll be my first time getting a vehicle with moonroof..What i want to know is if its worth the extra $$$. How is the air when its open...is the noise similar to when the window is down?..I'll be doing some test drives next month but i just wanted some ideas

My preference, it's a 100% required feature in any SUV for me. It really opens up the car on a nice day or nice evening too.

Noise and draftiness when open and all windows closed is better than with windows only open.

Like most modern cars, if you open sunroof and rear window(s), excess boomy noise and resonance will result.

Last edited:
I used to not want the moonroofs but now I've passed up buying cars because they didn't have them.

The deflectors they sell for them make a world of difference in the wind noise but I haven't decided yet if it would stand out way too much on a white one and mess up the lines of it.

To me they're more of a novalty item than anything and I think it really depends on the car you're getting. They're kinda cool to have open on those perfect nights, but its also the worst possible place on a car to put the extra weight. I couldn't care one way or the other on the CX5, but my wife kinda wanted one, so we ordered it.

Now if it were an M3, I'd go with the carbon fiber roof all day long over having a sunroof.

In the last two cars we had, both had sunroofs, and the wind noise or air flow wasn't an issue at all. Even at 80mph, its not a big deal.

Last edited:
In addition to paying for the moonroof, you're also getting the bose sound system. From what I have read on here, it is worth the extra money. Wish I had splurged and got the moonroof/bose pkg.

Out of interest why moonroof and not sunroof?

A majority of buyers want the option of light in cabin of glass moonroof versus steel sunroof (still have option of closing sunshade w/moonroof for glare reduction). So Mazda Marketing is aware of customer preferences.

My understanding is a sunroof is what we have in the cx5 which tilts, and slides fully open. Where a moon roof is the one that only tilts up but doesnt open (older cars did this).

I'm not sure I would have chosen the moonroof if it were an option on it's own. It's nice to have, but it wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me. It also depends on your climate. I live in a one season locale, so on sunny days my car is plenty bright and warm without the extra sun through the moonroof. Living in a less sunny and warm place I would have it open a lot more.

The manual sliding sunshade on the CX-5 moonroof is very effective for cutting glare and heat, I usually use it when it's over 80 F degrees outside.

Btw, the 2013 Escape with large pano glass roof has electric sliding sunshade.

I love the moon roof. If you're thinking of it then get it. For a moonroof and an upgraded stereo system for $1,000 or so it's a good price.

I love the moon roof. If you're thinking of it then get it. For a moonroof and an upgraded stereo system for $1,000 or so it's a good price.

I agree, it was worth the price for the package. I hadn't originally considered it, but wanted the tech pkg and it's bundled with it. The cost for that package felt like a good enough deal that it didn't bother me to have to add it (and am happy with it).

Back