Food for thought...predicting sound of aftermarket exhaust + Skyactiv

Onatrum

:
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Right off the bat...I'm not a CX-5 owner. I've had the same Protege5 for 11 years...her b-day is this month :) As I enter the next stage of my life, the CX-5 is looking better and better.

Now, my mind sometimes functions like I'm watching YouTube...I start with one thought about the practical CX-5, and an hour later I find myself researching boxer engines in Subarus, not remembering how I got there. (braindead

But today, the thoughts almost came full circle....and now my post will officially begin! (blah)

---------------------------

While researching why Subarus have that crazy deep throaty exhaust noise, some argue that it is soley the boxer engine...some suggest it's the header, and the fact that the pipes are of unequal lengths (on the turbo model)...and some think it's both.

Either way, it made me ponder if the CX-5 (and other Skyactiv models) would also have a "unique" tone with an aftermarket exhaust. I mean, the 4 cylinder engine may not be that different...but compared to my P5, it is different. And the header shown by Mazda (attached) is pretty fricking ridiculous. Add an aftermarket exhaust and you get...? (scratch)

So what's your prediction? Great sound? Terrible sound?
Also...compatibility problems with Skyactiv technology? (again, could be any current/future models, I just happen to like CX-5 the best so I'm posting here)

P.S. I saw the "deleted muffler" video...interesting sound, but wonder if an exhaust would help tame that some?

Attachment...
2.jpg

15.jpg

Last edited:
My prediction for exhaust sound is a very similar sound like most inline fours of about 2.0L in size.

My prediction for exhaust sound is a very similar sound like most inline fours of about 2.0L in size.

I agree that there will be a lot of similarities. Maybe I'm biased, but I think the 2.0L used in the Proteges have a better exhaust note (aftermarket) than other modified cars in the same class.

I don't think I would consider an aftermarket exhaust on a CX-5, simply because I've been reading that the engine is already a tad bit "louder" than normal. I'd hate to amplify that, especially on a highway or hilly terrain. But if Mazda plans to use this technology across the board, it will be interesting to see/hear the different bolt on accessories that become available for the other models. I'm curious whether the common "bolt-ons" will hinder the Skyactiv technology.

BTW, does the header take up a lot of space under the hood? The pictures make it seem as if it protrudes forward quite a bit.

anyone heard the corksport single exit exhaust for the Mazda 3? I'm assuming it'll be that sound.

Onatrum, my CX-5 is a lot quieter than my CX-7. That could be better dampening material or the engine itself. It's not a loud car - you hear the engine, but it's not obtrusive. I have decided that I'm definitely getting different tires.

I agree that there will be a lot of similarities. Maybe I'm biased, but I think the 2.0L used in the Proteges have a better exhaust note (aftermarket) than other modified cars in the same class.

I don't think I would consider an aftermarket exhaust on a CX-5, simply because I've been reading that the engine is already a tad bit "louder" than normal. I'd hate to amplify that, especially on a highway or hilly terrain. But if Mazda plans to use this technology across the board, it will be interesting to see/hear the different bolt on accessories that become available for the other models. I'm curious whether the common "bolt-ons" will hinder the Skyactiv technology.

BTW, does the header take up a lot of space under the hood? The pictures make it seem as if it protrudes forward quite a bit.

I'm also unlikely to modify CX-5 exhaust, more likely to modify weekend car (Lexus Fsport).

Yes the Skyactiv header is bulky, CX-5 has large engine compartment and a firewall to accommodate.

anyone heard the corksport single exit exhaust for the Mazda 3? I'm assuming it'll be that sound.

Onatrum, my CX-5 is a lot quieter than my CX-7. That could be better dampening material or the engine itself. It's not a loud car - you hear the engine, but it's not obtrusive. I have decided that I'm definitely getting different tires.
I just heard the CS single exit exhaust for the Mazda 3 and I like the sound. I'm pretty sure I want the CS short ram intake but will consider the exhaust as well. Will it be really loud inside the cabin with doors/windows closed if I have both SRI and exhaust? I want to still be able to hear the radio or have conversations inside the car while driving.

I predict it would sound like other I4 engines of about the same size....Like s***. LOL

As for why Subaru's have their unique sound, I think it has more to do with the boxer lay out than anything. People change the whole exhaust on them, and they have the same basic sound. In fact, if you listen to a stroked 2 liter VW bug engine (boxer design), they sound more like a subaru than any I4 engine does.

While researching why Subarus have that crazy deep throaty exhaust noise, some argue that it is soley the boxer engine...some suggest it's the header, and the fact that the pipes are of unequal lengths (on the turbo model)...and some think it's both.

Having owned both a turbo and non turbo, it is 100% the manifold and nothing else. If you put an equal length runner manifold on a turbo car, it sounds just like any other four cylinder.

Having owned both a turbo and non turbo, it is 100% the manifold and nothing else. If you put an equal length runner manifold on a turbo car, it sounds just like any other four cylinder.
thats true and evident when you listen to a WRX (uneven-length) versus the BRZ (even-length); the BRZ doesnt sound like a traditional boxer (sad face)

My reply to all..

It's not a loud car - you hear the engine, but it's not obtrusive.

Thanks for the clarification, NoSuchSol. "Loud" is always subject to opinion. My P5 has an aftermarket intake and header (stock exhaust tho), so the engine area is probably "loud" to most...but I think it sounds just right :)

more likely to modify weekend car (Lexus Fsport)...CX-5 has large engine compartment...

CX-SV... me = jealous of the Fsport! lol Regarding the engine compartment, how comfortable do you think it is to do basic maintenance? Like oil changes, etc? On the P5, the oil filter is located behind the engine. The only way I could reach was from way underneath the car. Replacing the alternator was a pain too! Do you think the CX-5 is open to reaching/loosening/tightening/turning/pulling/tinkering and all the other fun stuff that goes with owning a car?

Will it be really loud inside the cabin with doors/windows closed if I have both SRI and exhaust? I want to still be able to hear the radio or have conversations inside the car while driving.

thatwazmysn...I can share my opinion from when my P5 had combination of intake, header, and exhaust...it's fun to hear during low speeds and accelerating...but is pretty darn distracting on highways and long trips. It's not that it sounds bad, it's just they same loud, steady, drone from point A to point B. Loud music and/or talking was required. I should mention that the P5 hovers between 3000 to 3200 RPM when travelling about 70mph. That seems to be a tad bit higher RPM than other cars with similar engines. After enduring it for about 5 years, I went back to stock exhaust to much relief.

I predict it would sound like other I4 engines of about the same size....Like s***. LOL

EricF...too funny lol I know I come across biased, but I really think the 2.0L used in the Protege/P5's sounds much better than any teenager's Civic that's buzzing down the road! haha okay didn't mean to target Honda...just the first car to come to mind ;) Regarding sound, I would rate any Subaru at the top...then maybe the Evo (ex-roommate had Evo8, was frighteningly loud but still liked the sound)...and then the newer Mazda's with 2.0L engine. I say "newer" because my friend has had several MX-6's, similar size engine, but did not sound the same at my P5 haha

cucamelsmd15...that seems to confirm what I've been reading. The way that the CX-5 header is twisted, I can't tell if those are technically "equal" in length, which of course is what started my whole crazy thought process that led to this discussion lol

the BRZ doesnt sound like a traditional boxer (sad face)

Jcanracer...that sort of annoys me, because I think the BRZ is a cool little sports car. When I watched/listened to some of the YouTube reviews, I was surprised that it didn't have the iconic Subaru sound! I guess that explains why. You think someone will produce some unequal length header for that? Because you know if they do, we're going to be hearing some Scion FR-S's that sound like Sti's...what's the world coming to?! lol

Last edited:
CX-SV... me = jealous of the Fsport! lol Regarding the engine compartment, how comfortable do you think it is to do basic maintenance? Like oil changes, etc? On the P5, the oil filter is locatd behind the engine. The only way I could reach was from way underneath the car. Replacing the alternator was a pain too! Do you think the CX-5 is open to reaching/loosening/tightening/turning/pulling/tinkering and all the other fun stuff that goes with owning a car?

l

Good questions, but sorry I do no significant wrenching on either vehicle. The yearly Mobil1 $110 oil change at the Lexus dealer is a brief visit to a luxury lounge, no prob with wifi, snacks and Peets coffee, a loaner Lexus for other service provided. The CX-5 certainly has the roomier engine compartment combined with the smaller engine. The reality is the Lexus will require very little wrenching in first 100K miles to worry about.

Although the Lexus IS350 has more mods (staggered 19's, T1R's, Fsport=Eibach350 springs, etc.) than the CX. A F-Sport catback exhaust is tempting...

Last edited:
anyone know the id of the outlet on the header? right after the cat in the picture above...

apexanimal, I didn't forget about you in my previous post, I just don't have an answer for you lol Help me out, do you mean inner diameter when you say "id"? And are you referring to when all four pipes come together into one? If so...I still don't have the answer :) But just want to make sure I understand the question

luxury lounge, no prob with wifi and Peets coffee.

me = still jealous lol I'm glad to hear that the CX-5 has more room, or at the very least is more likely to have more room than my current Mazda. I like being hands on with the cars I've owned, just so tired of putting change in the curse jar when I can't reach a bolt.

I'm very curious of this as well. I have a Skyactiv 3 with the Corksport exhaust plus racepipe and it sounds awesome. It sounds just like the regular 2.0, 2.3, and 2.5 motors with exhaust which is deep and rumbly. Essentially sounds almost like a Mazdaspeed 3 without any turbo spool or burbling under decel. But the 3 still has a log manifold so I'm curious how the header manifold will change the tone if at all. We are looking at possibly getting a CX-5 come about tax season so hopefully there will be some options by then.

apexanimal, I didn't forget about you in my previous post, I just don't have an answer for you lol Help me out, do you mean inner diameter when you say "id"? And are you referring to when all four pipes come together into one? If so...I still don't have the answer :) But just want to make sure I understand the question

correct - id = inner diameter...

since i figure redesigning the header would be extremely difficult, keeping the outlet diameter would be ideal for a header-back exhaust...

and i was talking about the outlet of the cat in the picture above...

Engines firing pattern will also make a big difference on sound, but there's nothing different that the skyactiv motor does there. The slightly longer exhaust plumbing might make a slight difference, but I'd be very, very hesitant to change the exhaust on this engine. Strictly because all exhaust systems are tuned specifically to control how much air is pulled back and forth into the combustion chamber, and it's crucial in this motor to address the low octane/high compression engine combo.

Besides, the CX sounds great under power anyways =)

I agree with Watermellon and will not change exhaust (other than the tips), a droning 4 banger is not my goal.

And I'm not universally opposed to exhaust mods, proof is the F-Sport/Lexus axle-back exhaust on my IS sedan, sounds wicked when pressed.

Back