Blue engine cover...

EricF

:
2013 CX-5 FWD touring Bose/Moon. 2006 Tacoma.
Anyone else think its stupid that no matter what color your car is, you get a blue engine cover? Its not that big of a deal, but why paint it at all?

Blue to signify Skyactiv, IMO looks better than gray or black dull plastic on almost all other cars.

Blue to signify Skyactiv, IMO looks better than gray or black dull plastic on almost all other cars.

I agree, as long as the car is blue. If you're driving anything else (especially red), it looks like you pulled the engine out of a blue car at a junk yard. It reminds me of seeing a car painted at some bad shop, and when you pop the hood you instantly see what the old color was, because they were too lazy to paint the engine compartment.

I agree, as long as the car is blue. If you're driving anything else (especially red), it looks like you pulled the engine out of a blue car at a junk yard. It reminds me of seeing a car painted at some bad shop, and when you pop the hood you instantly see what the old color was, because they were too lazy to paint the engine compartment.

Everybody that has seen my blue cover on the white metallic CX has liked it so far (but they may not have seen junk yard conversions before, lol). My opinion is that Mazda made a unique and good choice on engine cover, certainly no negative impact on sales.

I was a bit disappointed that my red car didn't have a matching engine cover. I wonder if someone will come up with a service to repaint them or offer replacement covers in different colors?

My cx-5 is black and I don't think it looks too bad, but I could see the red being a bit strange. Every other grey-scale color would look fine though.

Black - Blue - Red - Metal

Seems to be the only colors I've seen on engine covers. I'm wondering if the SR20DET Red-Top owners were a little pissed that it didn't match? Seems to me that this would be something that most people could take care of themselves if they don't like it. Didn't take much to do so back in the day with muscle cars.

Yes, the Lexus guys are doing custom paint on ISx50 engine covers.

IS Painted_Engine_Cover_-red.jpg
Ha... when I had my IS350, I don't think I ever opened the hood. ;) It's also the last time that I ever lease a vehicle.

Yes, I open the hood about once every 3 months on my IS350. Very reliable, in 5 years only 1 defect (brake light switch threw warning light code even though it was still working, therefore switch was replaced).

Attached is a custom-painted Lexus engine cover.

You could always cover it with a vinyl carbon fiber pattern. On my Mica gray, the blue looks rediculous when I open the hood.

You could always cover it with a vinyl carbon fiber pattern. On my Mica gray, the blue looks rediculous when I open the hood.

Or just throw it in the trash, so you can actually see the engine. Saves weight too. LOL

Lol, toss cover in dumpster, then we will really see what ugly under the hood looks like.

I understand the choice in blue completely. It's all branding and marketing for the SkyActiv product line. My CX-5 is dark blue, so it doesn't bother me. Also, not to mention, how often are we going under the hood? I mean, it's not like we've got some powerful, modded motor to show off. haha

If you look under the blue engine cover you find a lot of sound insulation that you loose if you remove....

Good points about the "Skyactiv blue" and the important sound insulation, I agree with Mazda's approach and color choice for engine cover. I think those that want to customize should have the cover repainted like the Lexus dudes do (sample pic provided of red engine cover in my post above).

Especially when compared to it's competitors in this class, the CX-5 has the nicest standard engine cover versus CRV, Escape, Sportage, Tuscon and Rogue.

I think the blue cover is neat and adds a bit of class compared to the typical flat black that is on my CX7.

So far, looks like nobody painted the blue engine cover.

it looks nice, stressing Skyactiv tech..... however, I'm not sure if it would be as pretty after several years (dust, oil stains......). My CX-5 is aluminium silver color (38P), so both blue/red covers would match it perfectly :) My wife said, why not red? (wow) Women!

From what I see, new Mazda 6 has regular black cover (maybe 2 tone if image below does justice):

31614725429681398.jpg

plus all illumination is white (centre console and steering wheel are also white unlike orange in CX-5).

21349188881503799113.jpg
8083360541695505090.jpg

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited:
Back