Updating TomTom

mazdalooker

:
2013 CX-5 AWD Touring
Hey guys. I'm having trouble using TomTom HOME to update the navigation firmware on the SD card. I'm using a Mac, and every time I choose to "Update and Install" NB1, I have to manually detach and reattach the SD card, then re-check for updates. The same version of NB1 keeps re-appearing and I am re-promped to "Update and Install" it.

As of now, TomTom HOME has bricked my navigation, and the CX-5 no longer acknowledges the SD card when I press the "Nav" button on the dash.

Has anyone encountered this problem? If so, were you able to figure out a solution? Thanks in advance.

I was having the same issues until I followed these instructions that another member posted here.

If you have Nav, this quarters US/Can Nav Map level 890.4240 is available. My unit had 875.3844 which was three quarters old. You want your free map update before 60 days of use or you loose it. I used Internet Explorer to back up my SD card first. Download TomTom Home 2 and first update the application level which is quick and provides more menu setting options. The one time free current map update is under the Tools Menu and took about 90 minutes on high speed cable modem. After updating I was offered a year of future quarterly updates for $40. Following is copied from instructions TomTom Support sent me:

Make sure you login as an administrator of the system before you download TomTom HOME.

Before we proceed, it is recommend to disable firewall software installed on the computer. It might block downloading of files correctly, as it scans the incoming data. You can re-enable the firewall later on. If you are unsure about disabling and re-enabling the firewall, you can contact the local technician for better assistance, as they have the necessary expertise.

For more information on downloading and installing TomTom HOME, please click on the following link:
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/ans...tail/a_id/5122

Now you will need to associate your device to your email account. Please perform the following steps to associate your new TomTom device to the account.

1. Connect your device to the computer and open HOME application.
2. Click on Log in option which can be found at the top right side corner of HOME.
3. Enter your existing e-mail address and the password.
4. From the next screen, please select the Link the new device to your TomTom account option, and then click on Ok.

After associating the device, please update device via TomTom HOME. When you update your TomTom through HOME you are able to download many different updates including, new applications, voices, QuickGPSfix, MapShare updates, and much more. Here is the link, which has the detailed information on how to update it: http://www.tomtom.com/6218

TomTom provides you with the latest map pre-installed on your new device. It may happen that new maps are released in the meantime. If a newer map is available within 30 days from when you purchase the device, you are entitled to one free map download using the Latest Map Guarantee (LMG) feature.

Let me inform you that the latest map version is v 8.90. You can check if the device has the latest map on it using the steps listed in the following link.

http://www.tomtom.com/6166

If the device does not have the latest map on it, you can try using the LMG feature to update the map. To use the LMG feature, Here are the steps:

1. Connect your device to your computer and switch it on. When asked if you want to connect to computer, tap YES.
2. Start TomTom HOME application (not the homepage) on your computer.
3. Select Tools option in the File menu and click on Use Latest Map Guarantee.
4. If the LMG feature has not expired, you will be given an option to update to the latest map.
5. Select the map and click on Done to download the map.

For a pictorial representation, I am providing you with the link, which will assist you to download and install the latest map.

http://www.tomtom.com/7954

That worked! Thanks very much, PJO. I kept getting thrown off at the fact that the "Mazda Navigation System NB1" item kept re-appearing every time I checked for updates, but I suppose that's the normal behavior. The US/CAN maps updated perfectly - confirmed in the CX-5 dash monitor.

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum.

I have often wondered about updates to the Tom Tom, and with this info, I think I'll grab myself some updates! Can you tell me where I can find the SD card?

Thanks much!

Phil.rick It is just to the left and below the steering col. in the dash behind a small left right sliding door.

So updated the map. Thought I updated firmware as well but it keeps popping up under updates. Also noticed I can't check to download. Is this normal?

Yes this is normal, same thing happened to me until I took the advice of someone in another thread. What you need to do after the update is close TomTom Home and open it back up again, it should tell you that you are up to date. Try a couple of times if it doesn't happen on first try.

WP_000585.jpg

I keep getting an error on my device "this map cannot be used with this device USA_Canada-629" Anyone experience anything like this? I've emailed TomTom support for assistance.

View attachment 197857

I keep getting an error on my device "this map cannot be used with this device USA_Canada-629" Anyone experience anything like this? I've emailed TomTom support for assistance.

There are several other update items you need to install prior to the map. Have you updated the other items first? I don't think the map will work without installing those other updates.

Has anyone gone to the TTH site and verified a "newer" area that is not on your first map (maybe 1-3 years old) has updated on the new download? I referenced three areas before my update, none were updated, and they were all between 1-2 years old..... of course we are talking about the entire USA and Canada....

There are several other update items you need to install prior to the map. Have you updated the other items first? I don't think the map will work without installing those other updates.

AFAIK I followed the update correctly. In the vehicle it had an arrow type thing which said 8.13 --> 8.15 which I assume meant it was updating to the 8.15 version of the software. At the end of this process it gave me that map error. I've put the card in my computer and said check for updates numerous times and it says it's up-to-date. The only thing I can think of is that the map didn't download properly, or somehow it downloaded an incorrect version. I used to have a different TomTom device and I'm wondering if some left-over files on my PC might be contributing to the issue...still it is frustrating TomTom software on the PC always seems so slow and buggy. It's frustrating!

**update** TomTom just contact me and said that the map files might be missing or corrupted. They've given me detailed instructions on how to clear out the download folder on my C drive and then it should retrieve the proper files. I'll try tonight and see what happens. Hopefully we can get it fixed.

Last edited:
View attachment 197857

Same exact problem here. Says "this map cannot be used with this device USA_Canada-629" on the TomTom screen, and if I expand the map in my software on the computer it says "this item cannot be used on this device because it needs to be activated first."

I shoulda just left well enough alone :(

Any further ideas or fixes for this?

I did try checking for updates and whatnot, and none are showing now.

Ok, I followed these instructions to clear the map from my PC and from the memory card and it worked. Eventually. Downloading maps is like waiting for the second coming or the next ice age...but it did work. Now if only the voice recognition was at least accurate, it's horribly weak.
==================================================================================
Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Nicky and we are always happy to help.

I understand that your device shows a message that [You cannot use the map installed on the device] and HOME does not shown any new map for update.

I am here to assist you and will provide the necessary information to resolve this error message.

This issue might occur if there is a partial map folder of USA and Canada in the device or corrupt files in the USA and Canada folder.

Since the partial map folder is installed on the device, the HOME software renders the device as up to date with the latest map.

In order to resolve the issue, we will need to delete the corrupt map folder and download the fresh map on your device.

Please follow the steps mentioned below to resolve the issue:

I would recommend that the device's internal memory be checked for any errors. We offer step by step instructions for this on our website. To view this information, please click on the link below. If you are unable to click on the link, please copy and paste it into your internet browser.

http://www.tomtom.com/9908

We recommend you to login to your account in TomTom HOME. Once you done that then follow the below steps.

A) We will need to first disable the firewall/antivirus software temporarily. You can re-enable the software later on. If you are unsure about disabling the software then you will want to contact the software vendor for better assistance since they have the necessary expertise.

B) Once you done that, clear download folder.

Disconnect the device from computer if it is plugged in and close the TomTom HOME software.

2) Clear the Download folder.

a. Click 'Start', go to 'My Documents'.

b. In 'My Documents' open TomTom folder.

c. Open HOME folder.

d. Open the 'Downloads' folder and delete everything inside this folder.

Here is the location to find your download files on the desktop (For Windows XP): C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download

For your convenience, I am providing you with the link, which has the information on how to locate the path for Windows XP, Vista or Macintosh OS. Here is the link: www.tomtom.com/7598

C) After that connect the device to the computer and tap on "Yes" when prompted to connect to the computer.

-Click on "My computer"

-GO to TomTom drive

-Look for the "USA and Canada" folder. If they are listed there, then delete the folders from the drive

D) After that set your HOME to defaults. This is because HOME searches for the device and computer. If it sees even a partial map download it will not offer the map again. Here is the link, which has the detailed information to fix the issue: www.tomtom.com/10059

E) Then, you can download the map by using the steps given on the following webpage: www.tomtom.com/10541

Please try the above instructions and if the issue persists, then please provide me with the following information.

1) Complete system information. This will help us to know your system, device information details.

a. Open TomTom HOME.

b. Select 'Help' from the top left hand corner of the screen.

c. Click on 'System Information'

d. Click on [Copy to Clipboard].

e. Paste the information into a reply email.

2) If you receive any error message in the HOME software, please let us know the exact error message, received.

Once we have the above information, we will be in a better position to assist you.

Please reply and let us know the status of the issue. We want you to know that, we will be there for you and we do value you as a customer.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 8:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom, we believe in showing you the way, the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Nicky

TomTom Customer Support

Ok, I followed these instructions to clear the map from my PC and from the memory card and it worked. Eventually. Downloading maps is like waiting for the second coming or the next ice age...but it did work.

Woohoo! This fixed my (same) problem too! Thank you so much for posting this :)

Thanks so much for this. Simplest explanation I've found for the update. Did it last night and it worked like a charm.

Hello CX-5 peeps.
I have a problem with updating. I put my SD card in the reader and it starts TomTom home and an error pops up saying that "your memory card is write-protected. Please remove write protection."
Anyone see that or know what to do?

Hello CX-5 peeps.
I have a problem with updating. I put my SD card in the reader and it starts TomTom home and an error pops up saying that "your memory card is write-protected. Please remove write protection."
Anyone see that or know what to do?

There is a small slider on the side of the card, put it on unlock.

So I applied the update tonight. Everything seemed to work fine.

• After the update, the "Audio" button of my radio doesn't work.
  • If I put in a CD, it starts to play and the steering wheel controls work. I just can't get to the Audio screen.
  • The Phone and Nav screens still work fine

I'm pretty tech-savy so I don't think I screwed it up. Trying to downgrade the firmware now.

Anyone experience a similar situation?

As a followup to my previous post:
I was able to fix it. I restored the SD card from a backup in the TomTom app on my laptop. Ran the updates again and now everything works great.

Back