Tom Tom navigation safety features

udayse

So when you are driving around, Tom TOm does not let you input any street names or search options using the keyboard.
Has anyone figured out how to remove this safety feature?
I understand that i am taking the risk, but it was risky enough trying to realize that I do not have a keyboard when I am driving.

bummer, I hate it when the lock them out like that. I think a passenger can type on the screen just fine while I'm driving.

I agree. It works fine when stopped.
Another tick you off moment is that if you put your car into reverse(and the backup camera turns on) before confirming you have to enter it all over again... :(

well, I'm bummed about the Nav but glad I read the first post before I ordered the accessory one. I was just minutes away from ordering it.

I thought for the price it would be nice to have it always just a button push away rather than the fun of digging a portable one out and waiting for it to find the satellites, which takes awhile while moving. I don't like to leave a portable one out when parked to avoid giving a meth addict a reason the smash the window. And we often end up going "isn't there a such and such restaurant around here somewhere" when driving places that I wouldn't normally have the nav out for.

well, I'm bummed about the Nav but glad I read the first post before I ordered the accessory one. I was just minutes away from ordering it.

I thought for the price it would be nice to have it always just a button push away rather than the fun of digging a portable one out and waiting for it to find the satellites, which takes awhile while moving. I don't like to leave a portable one out when parked to avoid giving a meth addict a reason the smash the window. And we often end up going "isn't there a such and such restaurant around here somewhere" when driving places that I wouldn't normally have the nav out for.

it is most definitely not worth the exorbitant price they're charging for that module, tomtom is horrible, and the 'safety' features are my latest gripe, anytime you are slowing down, or going slow, or going from a stop and trying to do anything, screen or voice control(which is its biggest achilles heel) it kicks you out saying 'safety lock enabled'

hey+guys+check+out+my+new+meme.+It+s+called+quot+rage+_463c729636ab40a35fb0284ea7da288d.jpg

IMHO, I thought the technology package (includes Nav) on GT was fairly priced compared to what's charged by other competing automakers. I do not use the crappy voice control.

IMHO, I thought the technology package (includes Nav) on GT was fairly priced compared to what's charged by other competing automakers. I do not use the crappy voice control.

it was everything else in the tech package that i wanted, the nav was a 'eh ill take it i guess' kind of thing, and now its a 'eh wish it didnt have it and was a cheaper package' thing
like i'd said before and told my dealer, if i had walked in and paid the 500 bucks for that module, i would be absolutely furious and would have returned it, if i could hand mine in to them and get the 500 bucks i just might do it, but thats not happening. and i can't, in good conscious, sell it to anyone else...
but its gone beyond just the voice control now, it almost seems like with the last update or so, the 'safety' features have become more cumbersome

Hi Stromdriver,
My feelings exactly. I even tried to get the dealer to see if he will uninstall the remote engine start (Another thing I was unhappy with), They said they would give me a minor credit for my unhappiness but would not refund everything. I just wish I could send the crap back to mazda.
I still love the car. I wanted the dual zone, and leather. I so wish I had just gotten the grand touring and nothing else.

Uday
it was everything else in the tech package that i wanted, the nav was a 'eh ill take it i guess' kind of thing, and now its a 'eh wish it didnt have it and was a cheaper package' thing
like i'd said before and told my dealer, if i had walked in and paid the 500 bucks for that module, i would be absolutely furious and would have returned it, if i could hand mine in to them and get the 500 bucks i just might do it, but thats not happening. and i can't, in good conscious, sell it to anyone else...
but its gone beyond just the voice control now, it almost seems like with the last update or so, the 'safety' features have become more cumbersome

the problems with the nav are only mazdas fault in going with tomtom instead of sticking with their garmin tie ins and having them make a plug in unit. the main problems are tomtom's fault
Hi Stromdriver,
My feelings exactly. I even tried to get the dealer to see if he will uninstall the remote engine start (Another thing I was unhappy with), They said they would give me a minor credit for my unhappiness but would not refund everything. I just wish I could send the crap back to mazda.
I still love the car. I wanted the dual zone, and leather. I so wish I had just gotten the grand touring and nothing else.

Uday

I've been using TomTom for years before so to get used to this one was a breeze. Most portable TomTom's have this safety feature. I guess it comes down to personal preference, people that are used to Garmin will probably not be happy with the TomTom but I love it and see absolutely no issues with it.

I've been using TomTom for years before so to get used to this one was a breeze. Most portable TomTom's have this safety feature. I guess it comes down to personal preference, people that are used to Garmin will probably not be happy with the TomTom but I love it and see absolutely no issues with it.

did your previous tomtoms have such shoddy voice control? or half assed poi lists/categorization?

i dont get why the plug in unit is almost twice as expensive as tomtoms 'top of the line' portable car unit, and has less features and less 'hardware' incorporated into it....

did your previous tomtoms have such shoddy voice control? or half assed poi lists/categorization?

i dont get why the plug in unit is almost twice as expensive as tomtoms 'top of the line' portable car unit, and has less features and less 'hardware' incorporated into it....

A big part of he reason for the price is the limited market. The portable units are sold everywhere to everyone. The one specifically for the cx5 has a much smaller market. And second level of middle men.
If you can make hundreds of thousands of them they are cheaper to make and even if a model of isn't super popular they will still be able to sell them somewhere.
If Mazda buys a few thousand of a customized one from tom tom with the hope of selling them they take on some risk that they won't sell.
I've thought for years that a larger touch screen on the dash that could be connected to a portable unit would be the way to go. This is a good step in that direction and a first attempt. Maybe as others copy it or Mazda expands it then it will become better

i'm curious if whats mounted in the module is actually teh guts of a regular tomtom portable with wiring to the mazda connectors

I also am really annoyed by the Tom Tom safety lock out. I understand the intent, but it just makes things more frustrating. It doesn't allow for the passenger to input the info which would be completely safe. The safety lock out also impacts the voice command which is meant to be a convenience and help keep the driver's eyes on the road. Trying to navigate in the city is ridiculous when there's a stop sign on every block! Ugh. This system stinks.

Back