The biggest test for my CX-5

thegrapeguy

:
2013 Mazda CX5 GT
The whole family (4 people) plus lots of gear/cooler/toys on the CX-5 AWD GT's 1st big highway journey. Last time I took a journey like this I had my Honda Odyssey. Though the car was stuffed to the brim everyone had the space they needed. A lot of thanks to that 20% opening between the 2 back seats (one of the great selling points to me). Car cruised nicely and took the turns on on/off ramps nicely, TOM Tom Navi worked great and offered a detour when it picked up some traffic jam near Jersey. We were going from Syracuse to Point Pleasant Beach.

Yes the car feels like it is struggling sometimes going up hills, especially the big long steep hills. But after poking up a few I just decided to step on it. From that point forward I knew I was blasting through gas and the transmission was in a lower gear (winding out those high RPMS) but I got used to it. Finally the car kept up with the bigger engine cars. AC was glorious, cabin was very comfortable, vision was great. Sunroof let the sun brighten our spirits.

Now to the fuel consumption. My goal has always been 30 mpg. After the first tank we got 29.3. 2nd tank was 28.4. I know for a fact that on the way home the hills were tougher and I stepped on it a few more times. Right now I have around 2800 miles on the car and I hope I reach that 30 mpg mark when the engine is all the way broken in. I guess I expected more than my average which is about 28.7 but I normally drive around by myself. This time we were packed to the gills...

In a tall wide CX-5 speed has a LOT to do with mileage. I recently drove from Atlanta to Springfield MO and back and kept it at 73 or under and averaged 31+mpg...

Yes the car feels like it is struggling sometimes going up hills, especially the big long steep hills. But after poking up a few I just decided to step on it...

How bad was the engine noise when stepping on it? Did it stop easy conversations, etc.?

Interesting question Katmar - my wife noticed every time I stepped on it so yeh it stopped the conversation. She always thinks I'm going to get in trouble when I go fast but in this case I was just keeping up. But the conversation would resume and the noise was just a nuisance. In my mind I just keep thinking "Save money" so the sacrifice going from the minivan to the CX-5 hurts less. Whereas my Odyssey was a great highway car the CX-5 is a great city/suburban car. Since I only go on trips maybe 6 to 10 times a year I can live with the road noise. Some positive points while traveling is the nimbleness of the car at rest stops and fast food places that are usually crowded.

And yeh GAXIBM I kept it AT 75 MPH plus when I could in the 65 mph zones so I agree I could have gotten better mileage if I toned it down a bit.

Not too sound self-absorbed but one of the best moments with the car was pulling away from sister in law's boyfriend's house and having him say "I really like your car, very sporty". He didn't know I had a new car from Adam so it was totally out of the blue.

the grapeguy - Great report, especially useful for those of us that don't typically drive the CX-5 so heavily loaded down. IMHO, the mileage you experienced of 28-29 is very good considering the number of passengers and luggage weight, hills, 75+ speeds.

I experienced closer to 30mpg at 75-80 with total headcount of 2 and weekend luggage, and some moderate long hills.

My fiancee got 33 mpg (awd-touring) with two of her friends and luggage on a trip from milwaukee to northern michigan (not the U.P. but up and around somewhere in alcona county). Those roads are all 55 though so that had a lot to do with it, but I have been unable to reach that since. I don't do alot of highway driving however.

Back