Demonstrators...or don't they do that any more?

J_B

Hi All. This is my first post, although I've been lurking here for a while now and we're pretty much ready to buy a new CX-5. Thanks for all the helpfull information on this forum.
This will be our first new car purchase. I've always thought that dealers have a couple representative models on their lot for people to take out for test drives, while saving most of them to be sold as "untouched". We've gone to a couple dealers now and both of them pretty much let us test drive anything on the lot. This is fine when you're shopping, but when it comes to buying, I don't want to buy a car that's possibly been abused or taken to its limits by some punk who felt like going on a joy ride. What's the scoop?

I've always test driven the new vehicles that I have bought over the years. With the CX-5's moving off the lots as fast as they are right now, they shouldn't have much mileage on them. If you want one that hasn't been driven at all, get one that is in transit or order one, if you can wait.

I don't want to buy a car that's possibly been abused or taken to its limits by some punk who felt like going on a joy ride. What's the scoop?

Please.....Unlikely any demo is going to get abused, especially a CX5. I've bought "New" cars with anywhere from 5 miles to 300 miles on them (transported from another dealer).
No problems are going to result from Demo miles. If it does, you've got a warranty to protect you for the next 3-5 years.

I think that dealers try to have stock on hand so that people can test drive, but they can't afford to have a handful reserved just for test drives to be sold at a discount later because they are 'used'. Also, they have improved their inventory system enough that they don't have a lot of cars just sitting around because that costs them money. Most likely the car that you test drive is pretty fresh and hasn't had the opportunity to be abused.

you can always check the mileage and if it seems high, ask for a different vehicle.

Back