Brake dust

mazdalooker

:
2013 CX-5 AWD Touring
Is anyone experiencing brake dust settling on the wheels? I sure am. What would you advise as far as a wheel cleaner?

Not sure about the best cleaner. However; I've discover that excessive brake dust is or can be caused by not bedding in the brake pads properly. I usually do several firm rolling stops from ~ 60 mph to 5 mph while letting the brakes cool for ~2 minutes between stops. In addition; dragging your brakes to the stop sign instead of fairly quickly coming to a stop is also conducive to excessive break dust. Ed

Last edited:
For tough brake dust (really bad on my MINI) I use Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner. Pricey but works marvels, looks cool as it works, and smells great.

No unusual/excessive brake dust noted on CX-5.

(I am very familiar with excess brake dust problems on specific Benz and Lexus cars, both resolved through revised pads offered by automaker per TSBs)

I have to say I am quite pleased with how little brake dust I am getting. Its been about 450 miles since I purchased the car and the brake dust is minimal. also i dont tend to do a lot of heavy braking as I coast into intersections/stop lights most of the time.

No unusual/excessive brake dust noted on CX-5.

(I am very familiar with excess brake dust problems on specific Benz and Lexus cars, both resolved through revised pads offered by automaker per TSBs)

I use Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Cleaner w/ an EZ detail auto wheel brush. Works pretty darn well.

hate to say it, but with almost 2k mi and I detailed her last weekend...and it rained everyday since....BUT...I just wiped them off with a wet towel and polished them up. very little brake dust if any. I'd love to throw a set of Ceramics on there and alleviate the dust altogether, but I haven't had those since my 04 Mazda 3 (Standard Equipment).

Has anyone looked at getting snap on caliper covers like the ones from MGP (not the cheap glue on ones) to reduce brake dust?

Has anyone looked at getting snap on caliper covers like the ones from MGP (not the cheap glue on ones) to reduce brake dust?

Those won't reduce dust in the least. Pads make the dust...I'm actually surprised how little there is on this car..Maybe they're ceramics from the factory.. The light tan color sorta indicates that..

What brake dust? The CX -5 dust is negligible. You should see my car's wheels when they're squeaky clean, and drive for 15 miles.

Hate to say this but I have 1500 miles on my CX-5 and I don't get nearly as much brake dust on my wheels as other vehicles I have purchased in the past. Sorry you're having issues with brake dust. I'm really impressed with this vehicle with respect to the brake dust.

Not an excessive amount of brake dust, but enough to make the wheels look crappy. My wife's CX9 has the same characteristics. Hopefully upgraded aftermarket pads will help.

For those that wash car every 2 weeks or don't drive over 1000 miles between washes, not much brakes dust to worry about.

Seems as if Mazda's pads wear quicker than others. I'd guess they use a softer-than-most semi-metallic compound. This would likely lead to more dusting than other makes/models, and quicker wear, with the trade off being (generally) improved breaking capabilities.
If it really irks you, you can swap to ceramic pads.

I drive manual and generally get twice the life expectancy that auto TXs get. My Mazda 6 had 180K and I only replaced the brakes around 95K. I tend to let the engine do the slowing down by dropping a gear or two, especially on steep declines.

Seems as if Mazda's pads wear quicker than others. I'd guess they use a softer-than-most semi-metallic compound.

What kind of brake pad life (in miles) are other late model Mazda owners experiencing?

I had my 7500 mile service last month, the only thing toward the negative was that the rear pads on the brakes were 6mm (yellow on the service chart) compared to the front at 8mm (which was green). Has anyone else had this issue?

I have almost no brake dust on mine, so it seems the pads are good for not dusting the wheels on mine.

Miatas typically get 50-80k per set with about the same amount of dusting I'm getting on my CX-5.

Thanks for that Mazda Miata info. That is what I consider normal or typical, and for example very similar to pad life on current gen Mercedes C-class and Lexus IS models.

I had my 7500 mile service last month, the only thing toward the negative was that the rear pads on the brakes were 6mm (yellow on the service chart) compared to the front at 8mm (which was green). Has anyone else had this issue?

To improve directional stability the rear brakes are set up to do a greater amount of the normal stopping (not at the ABS wheel slip point) so it is reasonable that the rear brake pads wear faster with normal driving.

Back