OEM Door Edge Guards - Anyone get 'em yet?

:
Pearl White AWD GT w/Tech
Need to get a set so and am wondering if anyone has those for sale or if there is a good aftermarket set that would work. I'm preferring the OE one's to match my paint but am open to others.

Need to get a set so and am wondering if anyone has those for sale or if there is a good aftermarket set that would work. I'm preferring the OE one's to match my paint but am open to others.

I didn't know OEM edge guards existed? I hate to see how much dealer would charge for that (and the profit margins too).

chrome door

get it from ebay,,,$35 really good ,,i got one

JTNY - btw, I'm guessing the dealer's door edge gaurds are not OEM Mazda equipment, even if the inflated price simulates Mazda parts.

JTNY - btw, I'm guessing the dealer's door edge gaurds are not OEM Mazda equipment, even if the inflated price simulates Mazda parts.

exactly, a lot of dealers love to sell non-factory items because they can make so much more markup on them (see extended warranty thread). I don't see a sign anywhere of Mazda offering door edge guards but they are a common aftermarket add-on for dealers.

Strange - I've seen the edge guards as well as the paint protection film advertised on the official Mazda OEM accessories site.

Strange - I've seen the edge guards as well as the paint protection film advertised on the official Mazda OEM accessories site.

I couldn't find it on the CX-5 site. I have never seen paint protection either on a Mazda-US website. Edit-my mistake this is film, not paint protection wax.

The reason why I brought this us, is some Lexus dealers (not in this part of CA), offer these painted door edge gaurds although they make no false claim of being OEM Lexus offerings.

Strange and interesting and creative too, "official Mazda OEM website", not convinced that's a corporate website to begin with.... Sounds more like a play on words they use to give the look and feel of a official Mazda website, but if backed into a corner they will clarify by saying something like we sell some OEM Mazda parts actually.

Last edited:
The paint protection door edge kit. I'd still go with the universal stuff as it is basically the same, you just have to cut it to length at 1/5th the price. Plus if you goof up on a section you've got enough left to try again.

Door edge guards are typically thicker snap on type items. At least that was what I was picturing.

^ Yes these are not door edge guards, they are clear film. All that discussion about door edge guards and this vendor doesn't even sell them. Sorry.

Last edited:
Just FYI--I had the OEM Mazda paint-matched door edge guards on my 2006 Miata, and ended up quickly regretting that decision. Perhaps less of a concern on a larger vehicle, but I started to dislike how they messed up the sweep of the car's body lines and how visually added-on at least that car's version appeared. They DID save maybe two possible paint chips/dings over time from less than careful passengers, but I still wished I never put them on. The adhesive was significant and I was concerned about paint damage if I tried to remove them.

On my current CX-5, the dealer installed a paint protection kit (already on when I purchased the car, didn't ask for it) and it is obviously a lot less obtrusive. However, on at least the Crystal White Pearl, the slightest bit of dirt or dust build-up along the edges of the film will make them stand out, in particular along the door edge and door handle cup pieces. But of these two options, I definitely prefer the film.

Just FYI--I had the OEM Mazda paint-matched door edge guards on my 2006 Miata, and ended up quickly regretting that decision. Perhaps less of a concern on a larger vehicle, but I started to dislike how they messed up the sweep of the car's body lines and how visually added-on at least that car's version appeared. They DID save maybe two possible paint chips/dings over time from less than careful passengers, but I still wished I never put them on. The adhesive was significant and I was concerned about paint damage if I tried to remove them.

On my current CX-5, the dealer installed a paint protection kit (already on when I purchased the car, didn't ask for it) and it is obviously a lot less obtrusive. However, on at least the Crystal White Pearl, the slightest bit of dirt or dust build-up along the edges of the film will make them stand out, in particular along the door edge and door handle cup pieces. But of these two options, I definitely prefer the film.
totally true, one of my few complaints. Question, was this film from the factory or installed by dealer

totally true, one of my few complaints. Question, was this film from the factory or installed by dealer

I have a warranty card from Mazda for the film, so it appears to be an OEM product, but I believe that I recall it was listed on the window sticker under the dealer add-ons, along with the nitrogen-inflated tires and a cargo area mat (the mat was a positive by me, though). So, I would assume it was installed by the dealer and not at the factory, plus the CX-5 specs show the film as ACC.

Kinda strange, as I've dealt with this dealer for 8 years now for two car purchases and they don't typically resort to what I'd call gimmickry like forced add-ons. But most of the new cars there, not just mine, had those two things added.

Back