Remote start

mazdalooker

:
2013 CX-5 AWD Touring
Hello. Would anyone happen to have photos of the remote start fob ? It looks really cool, just haven't had a chance to see it up close.

Hello. Would anyone happen to have photos of the remote start fob ? It looks really cool, just haven't had a chance to see it up close.

I wouldn't get it. 500 for a short range 1 way remote start? You can pay 300-350 at best buy for a 2 way 1 mile distance remote start (way cool say your in the movies and when its nearing the end you can start it from your seat and get verification that it started - and even see the temperature that its warmed up).

Do not spend your money on this factory remote start. The fob looks cool, thats about it. It cannot open doors. You need to carry both fobs. I am pissing and moaning about this. On top of everything. Once you get it started, when you enter the car, it shuts the engine down.

I wouldn't get it. 500 for a short range 1 way remote start? You can pay 300-350 at best buy for a 2 way 1 mile distance remote start (way cool say your in the movies and when its nearing the end you can start it from your seat and get verification that it started - and even see the temperature that its warmed up).
Does the one at Best Buy work with 6mt sport model or just the autos?

i think so but just ask them. They should be able to give a quote on the price of the extra part for the manual trans.

Be careful with the RS and MT. I watched a guy put his car in a pole because he had it in gear and hit the RS. I don't know of any RS that knows that the MT is in gear.

RushFan

If anyone else is as disappointed about the Remote engine start as I am, please call mazda and let them know:
In north america: By Phone: 800-222-5500
A real person will answer, after you get through the menu. When I spoke to them, they told me I was the only one who complained about this so far. They said if enough people complain, they maybe able to do something about it.

Be careful with the RS and MT. I watched a guy put his car in a pole because he had it in gear and hit the RS. I don't know of any RS that knows that the MT is in gear.

RushFan

Somebody or something would have to depress the clutch pedal for that to happen in CX-5 (built-in switch is standard on manuals), otherwise the tranny must be in neutral to start.

Just to be clear its a 300ft range and is 2-way... at least mine is 2-way but i agree, why it wasn't integrated into a single remote is a bad idea... quite possibly because its an add-on and the cost of the keys are already probably through the roof... to replace your key fobs with fobs that include remote start might jump the price significantly... if they could have made the RS fob a fraction of the size would have at least been a better option.

So has someone added on then by themselves for $535.53 from here? http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-cx5-remote-start.html

It looks like you have to carry both fobs but the 2-way feature is nice. Simple integration over say any Viper type unit as it needs lots more wires and taps to the factory wiring. I would pay slightly more for what seems like a hour or two to install for an average Joe.

Cons: I wonder if it works like the factory RS where you have to get in the car and when you open the door the car shuts off...is this true? Then you have to restart the car once you are in it.

So has someone added on then by themselves for $535.53 from here? http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-cx5-remote-start.html

It looks like you have to carry both fobs but the 2-way feature is nice. Simple integration over say any Viper type unit as it needs lots more wires and taps to the factory wiring. I would pay slightly more for what seems like a hour or two to install for an average Joe.

Cons: I wonder if it works like the factory RS where you have to get in the car and when you open the door the car shuts off...is this true? Then you have to restart the car once you are in it.

Yes. When you open the doors the engine will shut off. I was told its a safety feature because there is no actual key to put in.

So did your GT w/ tech come with factory RS? Is it the same fob as seen in the picture for the aftermarket one?

The RS was installed by the dealer already when I looked at the car. I didn't want it but my SO loved it. The fob is cool w a lit LCD display, but bulky and like others have said doesn't open doors or work w the push button starter. I expect it to stay hanging on a hook in the house to be used for warming up the car on cold winter mornings.

I got the remote start for free through the loyalty program and we rarely use it. It's so bulky neither of us will put it on our key chains. That will probably change this winter but for now it sits in the house not getting used.

I have reviewed all of the instructions and determined this is a pretty straightforward installation. I ordered the kit a couple days ago, and will report back once I complete the install.

I finally got around to doing this over the weekend. The install was very easy. The programming got a little frustrating though, as there is an error in one of the steps in the instructions. After trying many times to follow the procedure, I finally started troubleshooting the steps and realized their error. Once I figured this out, the programming was also very easy.

I do have the same complaints as everyone else though - the FOB being too bulky and not unlocking doors, as well as the vehicle shutting off when a door is opened, are all annoying features.

How did you program it? The instructions provided on mazdaparts.org doesn't have the programming part. Can you provide the link. Thanks.

How did you program it? The instructions provided on mazdaparts.org doesn't have the programming part. Can you provide the link. Thanks.

It's a .pdf document. I emailed mazdaparts.org for it before I purchased. I uploaded it to pdf-archive.com, let me know if it doesn't work: http://www.pdf-archive.com/2012/12/10/res-registration-single-cx5-english/

FYI the step that is wrong is Preparation Step 4 - the switch should be set to on (push button w/o pressing brake) before beginning the rest of the programming procedure.

Thanks. That s great info. I had the remote start installed by the dealer and they were saying that it was a pain to program. I wanted a copy in case I ever need to program it again.

Back