Instrument cluster winding sound?

AussieJosh

:
Mazda CX-5 GT Deisel
When I turn off the car and open the drivers door, I get this winding sound seemingly coming from behind the instrument cluster. What is it?

It's definitely not a cooling down sound, but may be the electric steering. nizzy1115, you don't get the sound?

I get a bit of that sound immediatly after shutting down, usually when standing directly in front of the car. It's been reported by others here too.

This noise is not audible outside - its a very short sound that lasts a second, right when you open the drivers door, after you have pressed the stop/start button.

Hi,

The noise is actually caused by the steering wheel lock engaging. As these are keyless start cars, there's no key barrell which normally houses the locking mechanism.

Once the car is stopped, and the drivers door opened, the system detects you are leaving the vehicle and locks the steering for you. My 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 R diesel did that as well, and it too had keyless entry and starting. Weird sound huh?

Winding noise? well kinda, its winding but really loud. I would say its more from the front of the car. Its super loud and annoying. I think it would be from the HIDs or some power transformer powering down. But its a locking thing? Where and what is locking? It last for like 10 seconds or so. Really?

I dont think its a locking mechanism. My mazda3 did this too. I was told it was from the electric steering.

The noise I was referring to is definitely coming from the steering column. I asked my dealer today at my initial service and they confirmed that it was the wheel lock engaging.

Back