Thinking of getting a CX5, but a bit apprehensive...

EricF

:
2013 CX-5 FWD touring Bose/Moon. 2006 Tacoma.
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a new CX5 and had a question.

I swore I'd never buy a 1st year auto because of random issues that pop up that aren't foreseen in testing, ect. So I usually wait until the 2nd or 3rd year to bite. Tonight my wife and I drove a CX5 and love it!

So my question is, how are the CX5's going as far as reliability? I know its really new, but is there anything to be aware of? I've also heard of the mazda 3's having engine mount issues, and a couple of my friends had 3's with problems.

Whats the consensus so far with the CX5 and with mazda in general?

Anyone think about this when buying their CX?

Thanks in advance!

I find never buying first model year is a good rule of thumb, and this car appears to be no different. troll around the cx5 section, and perhaps in other forums, and see for yourself. ive seen a couple issues that deserve to be recalls/tsbs

of course on the other hand you could get a good one. i had a first model year tacoma and it had a couple annoyances fixed under tsbs and that was it. that truck was mechanically sound its entire life. i have a new ram that has been back to the dealer multiple times (nothing engine or drivetrain related).

my (technically) 3rd model year mazdaspeed3 has officially only been back for a leaking output shaft bearing fixed under warranty. pletny of first year guys had mount problems

id personally wait.

My first year 2010 2.5 mazda3 was perfect. My understanding is mazda spent so much on time and money R&D for the skyactiv platform its do or die for the company. They have everything riding on it. If the skyactiv platform comes out to have issues mazda will likely fail as a corporation. Which such high stakes they have to have looked at everything way more than a standard car.

If your still worried, get the extended warranty. I got 7 yrs 100k for 1500. Others say you can get it for far less still.

I know what you mean about being the first kid on the block,,,,,. My wife and I looked at several new cars that were available in our area. We had settled on a Mazda 3 hatch back. The sales person encouraged us to drive the red CX5. The CX5 sold itself. We have had not issues and have drove about 2500 miles. Our best milage on a 250 mile trip in the cornfields was 37.7 MPG. For us, the acceration is good enough. We are in our 60's and a bit stiff, the CX5 is a joy to get in and out of. It has a comfortable ride and good fit and finish. This fall, we drive it to Minot, N.D., that is when we will really get aquainted with it.

This is our first imported car, and we are very pleased with it. (personnal paradigm shift)

LandB

I hear your concern, and had the same hesitation before I bought mine. I am still waiting for delivery, so I can't comment on personal experience with the CX-5 yet, but I've done a lot of research into it and have found that Mazda has put tons of focus and attention into the CX-5. They are literally staking their reputation on this so I would be shocked if they skimped on R&D or other major issues, and I'd even go so far as to bet it's one of the best 1st years ever. For any small issues that have arisen, you'll see that Mazda has been extraordinarily attentive and responsive. Finally, don't forget that you've got your warranty to protect you if anything major arises. You'll see that the vast, vast majority of CX-5 owners are as happy with their purchase now as the day they got them. You can't beat that endorsement. I'd say if you like it, go get it and enjoy it!

I have a CX-5 with 4000 miles, zero problems to report so far. The quality is very much like Lexus and Toyota, a couple brands I own/owned.

Consumer Reports (a good source for reliability data) shows most recent Mazdas having above average reliability.

The better vehicles today have a lot of very effective durability and reliability testing done prior first customer shipment.

Last edited:
This is my second first year Mazda - I consider myself lucky with the CX-7 as I've heard about some of it's issues. They've done some late recalls on them, but I'm already over the mileage for them to cover it IF my car had an issue. It's been great. The CX-5 seems to be a better thought out car.

I don't make blanket statements about 1st year cars these days. The better automakers can do 1st intros with excellent results. Even Mercedes (which for much of last decade has had poor results, specifically model years 2001-2007) did a successful 1st year launch of the W204 C-class.

Having driven the CX-5 for 2.5 months and constantly comparing it to 2 other premium sedans, I've found the engineering and workmanship to be excellent.

Though I love my CX-5 I bet next years CX-5 front hood won't vibrate as well as the side mirrors. Those are the two things I hope I don't have to live with for the life of this car. Also I bet the diesel with it's extra torque and better gas mileage will create quite a stir...

I seriously doubt they will change anything except adding the new engine. The hood is thin to save weight. My kia sorento is similar it wiggles and bows in the car wash dryer.

I get how some might be concerned about the whole new skyactiv stuff. It's new and different. Mazda isn't the only one with brand new engine/trans coming out right now. Every vehicle I recently shopped has a either a brand new engine or trans or both. Focus, Impreza, Veloster, Escape, Jetta... Mazda 3 and CX5. All of them. So should I be stuck looking at old technology vehicles simply because they are familiar or proven? That's backwards thinking IMO.

I don't avoid a vehicle just because it's a first year/major change. By that logic, you would have to rule out about half the new cars on the market right now. There are so many new model cars out in 2012/2013... especially Nissan, Hyundai, Ford, Toyota... revamping most of their lineup. You gotta buy a car at some point... no sense being paranoid because of the occasional car that had a few bugs. There have been disasters, but that's not common. Most new models end up being just as good as any other vehicle. But, if there is a new car that is having major issues right away.... I can understand being cautious and at least waiting a while to see if the issues get fixed.

I've had several first year vehicles and never had any lemons. Example... bought a new first year model Durango in 2004 with the new Hemi.... it's been awesome, and I don't plan on selling it anytime soon. My first year Mazda5 had the suspension/tire wear issues but it was not a "first year" problem and wasn't "fixed" in later years... 2007+ models have the same issues, so waiting wouldn't have made much difference. Maybe the new 2012 will be better, but again... that's 6 years later and another new model. But then, the 2012 is a new model, so.... that means you can't buy it either? lol

For risk takers try a first year Ford (recent reliability data for new 2011 Explorer is well below average), the new 2013 Escape might be considered instead of CX-5.

Mazda's recent history with new product launches is better.

That was my first concern, and "I swore I'd never buy a 1st year auto" too...I bought my now 10 years old Renault Laguna II 1.5 years after it was launched and first units had plenty EGV problems as well as electronics. As I bought mine, all service packs were aplied and the car never was recalled...but that was a Renault.

Time to change has come and having the same considerations as LandB, searched for a SUV. Took me 4-5 month to shorten up the candidates and CX-5 rose up to be the best. The fact it is a 1st year stopped me and I started a quest around the world. I found this forum and several others and red them for a while. I'm in 5 other forums and plenty of reviews of the car in 3 languages. Had no other choice that to order my CX-5. Delivery scheduled in fifteen days. So, you all CX-5 dudes, are guiltys ;-)

(Sorry for my english)

Last edited:
Whats the consensus so far with the CX5 and with mazda in general?

In browsing various forums lately, it seems all manufacturers encounter occasional problems with new designs. Mazda doesn't seem any worse than others I've seen.

That being said, I beta tested their RX-8 for them lol, having bought the first year of it's from-ground-up new design. And yes, there were a number of little issues that came up over the first few years, but mostly just annoyances (sunroof rattle, condensation in tailights, etc.) rather than mechanical or engine problems.

The nice thing was Mazda made it all pretty painless for me. Whenever I took it in for an oil change, I also mentioned any of the problems I knew they had TSBs for, and they were fixed under warranty with revised/upgraded parts. Not a big deal at all. It DOES help however to track the TSBs as Mazda releases them so you know what to be aware of.

The irony is that my 2004 RX-8 is now a better car than it was eight years ago lol, as it has quite a few revised parts to it.

Thanks for the replies guys! We're going to go ahead and take the plunge and pick one up providing we get a fair trade in with our current car.

Will do! I just talked to a Fleet Manager at a local dealer, and they have exactly the optioned car we want (silver 2wd touring with moonroof/bose) on a boat and should be in in about 2 weeks. So we'll probably put a deposit down tomorrow.

I had no fears about purchasing the first year CX5. Way, way back in the day, when I was young and single, I bought the first year Miata. What a car!! I loved that car more than any other vehicle I've ever owned.

So far, so good with my little CX5. I love how it drives, it actually reminds me a bit of the way my Miata hugged the curves. It's a great ride so far. I did buy the extended warranty, primarily because of all the tech stuff...that stuff has got to wind up giving some problems I would imagine.

Back