PDA

View Full Version : Hood and Mirror Vibration

ctaguchi
06-05-2012, 03:55 PM
hello everyone. this is my first post. i just purchased a new cx-5 on 5/19. i have a liquid silver touring model. i noticed as i got on the freeway that the hood vibrates a lot at highway speeds when the road is a little rough. i also noticed the mirrors vibrate as well. any one else experience the same problems and has the dealer resolved the issue? thanks for your input. other than the 2 issues, i love the vehicle.

Water
06-05-2012, 05:25 PM
hello everyone. this is my first post. i just purchased a new cx-5 on 5/19. i have a liquid silver touring model. i noticed as i got on the freeway that the hood vibrates a lot at highway speeds when the road is a little rough. i also noticed the mirrors vibrate as well. any one else experience the same problems and has the dealer resolved the issue? thanks for your input. other than the 2 issues, i love the vehicle.

I have something similar, it's more like when I accelerate the window driverside or passenger side rattles not sure from door or glass but ya it's really annoying for a new car, when I let go of gas pedal then noise is gone

cybman
06-05-2012, 05:38 PM
i put a hold in my order because of this issue, the dealer cant fix it?

cybman
06-05-2012, 06:03 PM
this is crazy, the mirror vibration is also in the cx9 and mazda cant fix it????? what the helll?

AussieJosh
06-05-2012, 07:05 PM

It's a relatively minor issue in an overall great car. I think the problem is overstated and has not at all soured my desicion to buy.

PJO
06-05-2012, 07:21 PM
It's a relatively minor issue in an overall great car. I think the problem is overstated and has not at all soured my desicion to buy.

I agree. I don't know if others are experiencing something way worse but I honestly would not have noticed it if it weren't for this forum pointing it out.

JTNY
06-05-2012, 07:36 PM
i dont notice anything or maybe thats b/c I drive w/the music on?

NoSuchSol
06-05-2012, 07:43 PM
The hood flexes at higher speeds or in windy conditions b/c the hood is thin. Power mirrors are notorious for vibrating at speed and especially when you have a fairly taught suspension. Now, my Z32TT had a little bit of that, but there was also a hex head that you could tighten or loosen that fixed the problem.

If you're getting a buzzing noise then you might want them to take a look at it. I have a slight noise from the plastic piece at the corner of the drivers side window. I'm leaving it alone for now, but will probably have them fix it if it changes. Heck, have them take a look at your mirrors, but I don't see them doing much with it. The best mirrors I had were on my F150... fixed mirrors and no vibration. =)

plemieux
06-09-2012, 12:33 PM

you must be one of the lucky ones that isn't experiencing the issue. for the rest of us that are, the hood and mirror vibration is very irritating. i've owned several types of cars in my life and none have had these problems.

my wife purchased a 2012 ford focus at the same time i purchased the cx-5. that car is amazing. quietest cabin i've ever rode in, no vibrations, steering wheel turns with just the slightest pressure. no bluetooth streaming issues.

nycx5
06-09-2012, 01:15 PM
No problems here.............

CX-SV
06-09-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm looking carefully for any of these problems, I'm very picky. NPF.

desssa
06-10-2012, 05:57 AM
did a 600 round trip today and yes both the mirror and hood vibrate..although the mirror does not bother me the bonnet looks like there are a few subs pumping under it lol.. its not a concern tho as long as it does not fly off.

Modshack
06-10-2012, 12:43 PM

IMO, It's avery minor issue. Noticeable but Not enough to bother me anyway.

I'm looking carefully for any of these problems, I'm very picky. NPF.

It's likely NO NEW CAR will satisfy you then..

CX-SV
06-10-2012, 12:57 PM
IMO, It's avery minor issue. Noticeable but Not enough to bother me anyway.

It's likely NO NEW CAR will satisfy you then..

Not true, I said NPF ( no problem found is what that means btw )

I'm very picky regardless. I find the CX-5 to be an excellent vehicle after 4K miles.

Modshack
06-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Not true, I said NPF ( no problem found is what that means btw )

I'm very picky regardless. I find the CX-5 to be an excellent vehicle after 4K miles.

Ah..Ok...Misread. After owning 65 cars the CX5 is about as good as it gets (excellent)....:-)

CX-SV
06-10-2012, 07:49 PM
After owning 65 cars the CX5 is about as good as it gets (excellent)....:-)

I've owned too many cars to count and currently own 2 premium sport sedans to compare to daily, agreed the CX is amazing and so well engineered.

inodes
06-10-2012, 09:20 PM

These a extremely minor problems. It's easy to pick problems on any new car if you are looking for them. So these are quite minor.
I do notice the mirror vibration, but it's not a big deal. Mazda as per all their new cars, done a piece by piece, gram by gram weight saving measure. When they looked at the mirror mount, they must have taken some weight off it in turn leaving it a little under powered in terms of reducing the chance of vibration.

Evil Lair
06-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I've been researching the CX5 and have done a test drive, and this is one of the few concerns I have. I don't really mind that the hood vibrates at speed since most of my driving is in the city but the thinness of the metal does concern me. Here in Houston we get at least 3-5 hail storms a year and I can just imagine the thin hood looking like the surface of a golf ball after a year if it's as fragile as it appears. I believe the rest of the body is also using a thinner than standard but high-strength steel which I'm also curious about it's impact resistance.

CX-SV
06-11-2012, 10:34 PM
I've notiiced no difference in metal thickness versus the other 2 late model import sedans in my garage. All of them have aluminum hoods. I have not measured CX-5 metal thickness, so far nobody has here.

Btw-My friends 2007 4Runner (4500+ lb truck) incurred hail damage during a cross country trip last year, otherwise it's been durable. His only complaint about that vehicle is gas mileage (V6).

rmac
06-12-2012, 02:32 AM
I don't think the vibration on the hood is any indication that it's flimsy or thin. I believe they have to be built within certain standards. Take a look at the front end crash tests on you tube. The vibration and damage you see (on slow motion footage) on the cx5 is no different than that of an audi.

Jcanracer
06-13-2012, 03:26 PM
I've not noticed the hood vibration in my CX5, but the driver's side mirror vibration is very noticeable. Its an annoyance that I hope the dealership can suggest something for, otherwise i will need to take it apart one of these days and see if it can't be shimmed someway to absorb some of the vibration.

BeeteKnaughts
06-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Both are noticeable on mine, but as previously stated it isn't a big deal. My only (albeit slight) concern for that if it dents easily. Lot's of heavy brown things roaming at night around me...

NoSuchSol
06-17-2012, 12:40 AM
been thinking about it and I'm going to have the dealership check it. The passenger side doesn't have the same vibration that the drivers does. Odd.

badself
06-17-2012, 10:06 PM
It's a known Mazda issue. Even after mirror replacements, my CX-9 mirrors continued to shake, particularly the driver's side. Difficult to believe they have yet to resolve such issues.

nyctravis
06-17-2012, 10:24 PM
I definitely notice the driver's side mirror vibration but the passenger side is much less and not bothersome at all. I don't even notice the hood vibration at all, only if I look for it. If I hadn't read here about the hood vibration I wouldn't have noticed or even thought to look. The driver's side mirror vibration is a bit distracting but I get used to it and adjust after a bit. Not a big deal for me thus far.

Velodog2
06-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Drivers side mirror vibration definitely. One of those subtle things I didn't notice on my test drives, presumably because I was focusing on more important things, as well as trying to ignore the chatting salesperson. Haven't noticed hood vibration as I sit too low to see the hood. Maybe lowering your seat is a good fix for this. When I finally noticed the mirror issue (less than twenty four hours after getting the car home) I figured that it was a design problem and shrugged. Oh well.

NoSuchSol
06-30-2012, 11:38 PM
I know it's been said in other threads, but Mazda has a TSB/Fix in the works for the mirror.

mike786
07-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Hello i have a black grand touring without the tech package.

When i got my car i noticed when im on the freeway or even fast city driving (40 mph +) my drivers side mirror was shaking rapidly! And as time went on it got worse and worse while my right mirror was COMPLETELY still and perfect, and when i played music (volume 20+) it would shake even more! I was not happy with this problem because visibility was not clear when trying to change lanes. I took it back to the dealer i bought it from and he test drove my car an told me it was just NORMAL. Bullshit this is not normal! He took me on a test drive with another CX-5 on their lot and it was doing the same thing. I was very angry because they wouldn't fix the problem claiming it was normal! I took it again to the dealer thats closer to me and they looked at it, and said okay we saw the problem and ordered me a new mirror. 3-5 days the part came and it was installed in a couple hours.

Just got my car back yesterday from the dealer and I'm still noticing that the mirror is shaking even this new one that they have installed! Its certainly not as bad as my previous mirror but it is shaking alot when im driving over 45mph and i have my music on too as well so its even worse! I have no idea why mazda has these bad parts! MY RIGHT SIDE MIRROR IS PERFECT NO MATTER HOW FAST IM GOING OR HOW LOUD MY MUSIC IS, ITS PERFECTLY STILL....

What do you think i should do now?

yetti96
07-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I had the dealer look at our hood when we brought it in for the 5k miles oil change. They adjusted and tighten it and it is better but not gone. I doubt it will every be absent, the fluttering but so long as it isn't a distraction I'm ok with it. The mirrors aren't terrible, but annoying.

speedtrader
07-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Part of the reason for the light hood is because of new government safety standards for vehicle to pedestrian collisions.

hollis
07-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Please make sure to call Mazda customer relations to file a complain for the driver side mirror, the more complains they receive the better chance they will fix the issue. It is a design issue, not a manufacturing issue.

NoSuchSol
07-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Hello i have a black grand touring without the tech package.

When i got my car i noticed when im on the freeway or even fast city driving (40 mph +) my drivers side mirror was shaking rapidly! And as time went on it got worse and worse while my right mirror was COMPLETELY still and perfect, and when i played music (volume 20+) it would shake even more! I was not happy with this problem because visibility was not clear when trying to change lanes. I took it back to the dealer i bought it from and he test drove my car an told me it was just NORMAL. Bullshit this is not normal! He took me on a test drive with another CX-5 on their lot and it was doing the same thing. I was very angry because they wouldn't fix the problem claiming it was normal! I took it again to the dealer thats closer to me and they looked at it, and said okay we saw the problem and ordered me a new mirror. 3-5 days the part came and it was installed in a couple hours.

Just got my car back yesterday from the dealer and I'm still noticing that the mirror is shaking even this new one that they have installed! Its certainly not as bad as my previous mirror but it is shaking alot when im driving over 45mph and i have my music on too as well so its even worse! I have no idea why mazda has these bad parts! MY RIGHT SIDE MIRROR IS PERFECT NO MATTER HOW FAST IM GOING OR HOW LOUD MY MUSIC IS, ITS PERFECTLY STILL....

What do you think i should do now?

It's not going to be resolved with a new mirror. They are creating a brace that goes inside the mirror. The dealership told me that the passenger mirror is of a different interior design and they are TSB'ing the drivers side mirror with a new design. It's not out yet per my dealership.

EDIT: Hollis - you can file a complaint but they are already working on a fix. Mention it to the dealership and request information on the TSB for it.

kayyes
08-01-2012, 12:17 AM

I recently bought CX-5 AWD, Touring w/tech package, liquid silver. I've exactly the same problem.. I'm getting vibration/rattle noise on rough roads from doors, mirrors and front panel.
Hi ctaguchi, What was the outcome? Did you take your vehicle to the service? I badly want to know what happened?

dlxx2
08-02-2012, 06:57 PM
They just issued a Technical Service Bulletin on the hood so take it to your dealer and they will fix it. My salesperson just called me today to tell me to bring it in. I noticed it also sometimes I felt like the hood was good flip off!

CX-SV
08-07-2012, 01:49 PM
So anybody seen and read the actual TSB on the hood yet? It would be interesting to see what the fix involves.

CX-SV
08-23-2012, 12:35 PM
They just issued a Technical Service Bulletin on the hood so take it to your dealer and they will fix it. My salesperson just called me today to tell me to bring it in. I noticed it also sometimes I felt like the hood was good flip off!

So what happened, it's been a few weeks. Did the hood fly off or was it fixed?

btw- I was told today by my SA the TSB for mirror is still not out.

zoomzoom_cx9
08-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Hello everyone, curious if anyone especially with a GT has experienced the gas pedal and steering wheel vibrating between 55-80 to the point you are always bringing it back to the dealer or feel it's a lemon? Been reading a very limted few cases of it but just curious, thanks!

nizzy1115
08-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Did u hit a pothole or curb? Vibration at those speeds means your wheel is not balanced....not that the car is a lemon....

CX-SV
08-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Did u hit a pothole or curb? Vibration at those speeds means your wheel is not balanced....not that the car is a lemon....

No, he was just repeating what he read on the Internet.

crenninger
09-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Any update? I just got a GT-AWD and I got the shaking driver side mirror and hood. Passenger side seems fine.
thank you

CX5er
09-24-2012, 08:46 PM
I have the GS FWD and the driver side mirror vibrates at 90 kph. Passenger side mirror is fine and I am not noticing any hood vibration. My build date was June 2012. Hopefully, a tsb for the driver side mirror will come out soon.

Goguinness
09-24-2012, 11:22 PM
2013 Touring - 3600 miles - No vibration of hood, mirrors, or anything. I have noticed a small rattle somewhere in the dash. It seems to be mostly when car is cold. Very negligible though.

katmar
09-25-2012, 10:09 AM
I have the GS FWD and the driver side mirror vibrates at 90 kph. Passenger side mirror is fine and I am not noticing any hood vibration. My build date was June 2012. Hopefully, a tsb for the driver side mirror will come out soon.

My AWD Touring was built in June 2012 as well. No vibrations in hood or mirrors at 1,300 miles. I'm wondering if they made a production change right around that time.

gova
09-25-2012, 02:17 PM
This is a reply I posted in another thread regarding my experience with mirror vibration and reporting this to the dealer:

I have this problem and reported this during my 1st dealer visit.

The service guy says "this is due to additional mirrors (1.5 inch circulars) attached to main mirror.
I reply: "driver's side mirror does not vibrate and this was happening before small mirrors were attached"
Service guy: "We will not repair it, this is how our product has been designed"

I am serious - per this dude, this mirror vibration has been designed by Mazda. This was my first and last visit to this place.

Bclar
09-25-2012, 02:33 PM
My CX-5 GT model is now 4 months old with 5300 miles and absolutely NO problems. No vibrations, NO loose mirrors or hood.
Heck, I have NOTHING to complain about and this is probably my 20th car purchase.

GAXIBM
09-28-2012, 01:07 PM
So anybody seen and read the actual TSB on the hood yet? It would be interesting to see what the fix involves.

There are 4 adjustable rubber bumper stops that the hood rests on. I suspect that the people with a vibration on the hood simply need to make sure that all four of the stops are twist adjusted to have light pressure on the hood to eliminate open space which could cause vibration.

CamPayne
10-11-2012, 10:46 AM
I just took my CX-5 to the garage yesterday for these issue. For the mirror they will order a new one and see. They will keep the old in case the new is worst as some people mention on this forum. For the hood, there is a TSB report and it involved some kind of glue, that needs to cure for 6 hrs... I have an appt. on October 18 and I will let you guys know what was really involved in this.

puddle.jumper
10-20-2012, 08:03 PM
i've contacted mazda corporate regarding this mirror vibration, figuring they're be in-the-know in anything coming down the pipeline regarding this. the person who responded back suggested going to the dealer first.

so, I've spoken to my local service department. they said it's a well known and very common issue, and that they're expecting an advisory to come out probably in four weeks or so. due to that, they are holding off on looking into the mirror vibration at this time but suggested I call back in several weeks to see if anything new comes out.

according to them TSBs can take a long time to come out, anywhere from six months to a year. so, i take it talks of a TSB for this may just be coming out in due time. i was told some people in corporate are more customer relations-oriented & non-technical so they may be unaware of things going on regarding it.

sdpadsfan
10-21-2012, 09:54 AM
i've contacted mazda corporate regarding this mirror vibration, figuring they're be in-the-know in anything coming down the pipeline regarding this. the person who responded back suggested going to the dealer first.

so, I've spoken to my local service department. they said it's a well known and very common issue, and that they're expecting an advisory to come out probably in four weeks or so. due to that, they are holding off on looking into the mirror vibration at this time but suggested I call back in several weeks to see if anything new comes out.

according to them TSBs can take a long time to come out, anywhere from six months to a year. so, i take it talks of a TSB for this may just be coming out in due time. i was told some people in corporate are more customer relations-oriented & non-technical so they may be unaware of things going on regarding it.

Thanks for the update. Mine will be due for its first service in about a month of so, so hopefully the TSB for the mirror will be out by then.

Morsa
10-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Hood vibration has been solved. A TSB or somethng like that have arrived to my dealer and was aplied when oil change. The hood is much better indeed.

withadot
10-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Hood vibration has been solved. A TSB or somethng like that have arrived to my dealer and was aplied when oil change. The hood is much better indeed.

I took my Touring AWD into the dealer due to hood vibration, driver's side mirror vibration, and a rear seat that wouldn't latch properly in the upright position (<1500miles). It took the dealer 50 mins to look at everything and get back to me. Here's what they did:
1. There is a very recent TSB (# 09-029/12) for hood vibration (at speeds higher than 68mph) for CX-5s manufactured prior to April 18, 2012. They explained that some vehicles which left the mnfc facility received less than optimal amount of glue (from the robotic assembly line) to affix the hood panel to the frame underneath. As a result, some vehicles are experiencing excessive hood vibration. They said my vehicle was the first one they had received with this issue and that they have ordered the parts (tools and glue) they need to apply the TSB corrective procedure. It will require a full day (28 min corrective procedure followed by 6 hours for glue/bonding agent to cure (at 70F) during which time the vehicle cannot be moved) for them to do it during which time they will provide me with a loaner vehicle. (For those interested, my vehicle was mnfc at the Hiroshima, Japan plant.)
2. The driver's side mirror vibration was due to the mirror slightly popping out of the brackets behind it. They pushed it back in with some pressure using only their fingers and indicated that it did pop back in. The vibration has decreased but there is still some vibration compared to the right side passenger mirror. I'll keep an eye on it and report back to them when I take the vehicle back for the hood fix mentioned in #1. UPDATE: It's possible that the driver's side mirror vibration may be a result of the hood vibrating. They want to revisit the mirror after the hood has been fixed.
3. The latch on the rear driver's side seats was stuck open and would not secure the seat in the upright position. It needed to be lubricated and is working properly now.

Evan55
10-23-2012, 04:48 PM
lightweight hoods vibrate. my wrx's hood looked like it was sizzling bacon. im glad im not as anally rententive as everyone on the internet seems to be. id never be happy with anything.

fatphos
10-24-2012, 08:51 PM
I have about 1300miles and noticed the driver side mirror vibration. I haven't called the dealer yet, but would be doing some soon.

CX-SV
10-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks withadot for thorough and helpful report (and TSB reference).

plemieux
10-26-2012, 05:26 PM
So I went in for my second oil change (12,000 mi) this past weekend. I went with the TSB printed out of the dash rattle and front door/fender rattle. I also mentioned to them about the vibrating mirror and hood. The dash rattle is intermittent and since the car did not reproduce the sound during their "test drives," they would not fix it. So, I said, "I have this TSB printout from Mazda that shows there is a problem with the car and clearly outlines how to fix it, and just because this intermittent issue will not reproduce for you at this time, you won't take care of it for me?" Service guy says "no, in order for Mazda to reimburse us for the tsb work, the car has to clearly show the issue and we cannot find anything wrong." So no TSB work for me i guess. I asked about the mirror and hood just to kicks because I was pretty much demoralized at this point and they said there was no TSB issued for those problems and that the vibes were not excessive enough to warrant replacement of the parts so no luck there either. Any suggestions on how to proceed? There is another dealer an hour away but I have a feeling they will probably give me the same round around as well. Is this common place at dealers to not fix TSB issues if the problem can't be reproduced? It's just lousy because I clearly have an issue and I know it, but since it just so happen to not reproduce for the mechanics at that time i'm sol. I'm trying really hard to love this car but i'm so ready to torch the thing after these dealer experiences.

crenninger
10-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Can you email or Scan or fax the TSB for the dash?

I have a little rattle mainly when cold - and if it's easy I might as well do it myself.

thx

So I went in for my second oil change (12,000 mi) this past weekend. I went with the TSB printed out of the dash rattle and front door/fender rattle. I also mentioned to them about the vibrating mirror and hood. The dash rattle is intermittent and since the car did not reproduce the sound during their "test drives," they would not fix it. So, I said, "I have this TSB printout from Mazda that shows there is a problem with the car and clearly outlines how to fix it, and just because this intermittent issue will not reproduce for you at this time, you won't take care of it for me?" Service guy says "no, in order for Mazda to reimburse us for the tsb work, the car has to clearly show the issue and we cannot find anything wrong." So no TSB work for me i guess. I asked about the mirror and hood just to kicks because I was pretty much demoralized at this point and they said there was no TSB issued for those problems and that the vibes were not excessive enough to warrant replacement of the parts so no luck there either. Any suggestions on how to proceed? There is another dealer an hour away but I have a feeling they will probably give me the same round around as well. Is this common place at dealers to not fix TSB issues if the problem can't be reproduced? It's just lousy because I clearly have an issue and I know it, but since it just so happen to not reproduce for the mechanics at that time i'm sol. I'm trying really hard to love this car but i'm so ready to torch the thing after these dealer experiences.

plemieux
10-26-2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=196928&d=1345132650

crenninger
10-26-2012, 06:06 PM
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=196928&d=1345132650

thanks

withadot
10-27-2012, 12:14 AM

I'm picking up my CX-5 from the dealer tomorrow. They applied the TSB repairs to the hood. (Plemieux, I suggest you take your vehicle to the dealer you bought it from - in case you haven't already - and reference the TSB number I provided in my earlier post. But make sure that your vehicle meets the requirements of the TSB on this issue (e.g.: mnfc date). The dealer also examined the driver's side mirror vibration issue and discussed it with Mazda about it. Mazda has told them to not make any changes/adjustments to the mirror, and to not replace it. Mazda is aware of the mirror vibration issue and is developing a fix (TSB) for it. My dealer indicated that they expect the TSB to be available soon, probably no more than a couple months...so just hang on. I've been pleased with my dealer's response and handling of the situation...and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some difficulties.

Update: got my CX-5 back. Hood vibration is completely gone!

xtrailman
10-30-2012, 06:19 PM
I am at present looking to replace my xtrail.

The 173 bhp sport AWD is on my short list.

At present i am watching developments regarding the oil level rise, that some owners are experiencing.

However today i had another test drive, and for the first time used the motorway, although i noticed no bonnet vibration, i did see a very noticeable vibration on the drivers side mirror, note this was a RHS drive UK car, no noticeable vibration on the passenger side.

The car is only on 1500 miles so quite new.

So it appears no fix has been made?

I have never had a door mirror vibrate on a modern car, and certainly don't think its a minor problem.

Ps I also found the wind noise at speed, 60mph plus extremely tiring.

plemieux
10-30-2012, 06:33 PM
I am at present looking to replace my xtrail.

The 173 bhp sport AWD is on my short list.

At present i am watching developments regarding the oil level rise, that some owners are experiencing.

However today i had another test drive, and for the first time used the motorway, although i noticed no bonnet vibration, i did see a very noticeable vibration on the drivers side mirror, note this was a RHS drive UK car, no noticeable vibration on the passenger side.

The car is only on 1500 miles so quite new.

So it appears no fix has been made?

I have never had a door mirror vibrate on a modern car, and certainly don't think its a minor problem.

Ps I also found the wind noise at speed, 60mph plus extremely tiring.

From what I have been reading on the forums, Mazda is working on a TSB/Fix for the mirror vibration. Supposedly it is only a few months away.

I have a lot of issues with the car but wind noise speed isn't a problem for me even at 70mph+ unless it is an excessively windy day.

miki69
10-31-2012, 04:37 AM
Regarding this mirror vibration, I've spoken to my dealer in Vienna, according to his source, solution is already applied to new cars (in production line), and solution should come "soon" for already shipped CX-5s. That "soon" I take with grain of salt, as at first, he told me mirror fix suppose to come late SEP, then mid OCT... still not there.

Personally, I didn't experience this as a big issue (I really have to focus in order to see such vibration), maybe my CX-5 is not affected (or not to that extent).... however as soon as fix is available, I'll apply it.

As for noise, you can always opt for this (not for faint heart (attn)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjlMDcll74U

Cheers,
Miki

xtrailman
10-31-2012, 05:34 AM
From what I have been reading on the forums, Mazda is working on a TSB/Fix for the mirror vibration. Supposedly it is only a few months away.

I have a lot of issues with the car but wind noise speed isn't a problem for me even at 70mph+ unless it is an excessively windy day.

I have road tested 3 different cx5 now, and had made my mind up that we would be ordering one, but sometime next year after the teething problems were sorted.

Previously i noticed no wind noise, of any note, but the motorway run came as a bit of a shock.

The noise appeared to me to originate from the top of the windscreen, but the wife thought it was the wing mirror.

So it looks like I'll have to have a further test drive!

xtrailman
10-31-2012, 05:44 AM
Regarding this mirror vibration, I've spoken to my dealer in Vienna, according to his source, solution is already applied to new cars (in production line), and solution should come "soon" for already shipped CX-5s. That "soon" I take with grain of salt, as at first, he told me mirror fix suppose to come late SEP, then mid OCT... still not there.

Personally, I didn't experience this as a big issue (I really have to focus in order to see such vibration), maybe my CX-5 is not affected (or not to that extent).... however as soon as fix is available, I'll apply it.

As for noise, you can always opt for this (not for faint heart (attn)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjlMDcll74U

Cheers,
Miki

Great video, saved to favorites, at lest i now know how everything fits!

On the test run i asked the salesman to put the display up for the average MPG, i was a little let down to only see 37.5 average on the run, most of the driving was normal pace, only used the full throttle a few times to see how the traction stood up to full acceleration.

But the engine had only 1500 miles on the clock.

I'm not convinced that the salesman had got the correct display up though.

What do you get as a average with the 175hp diesel?

I had two test drives with a Honda CRV, but prefer the CX5 to drive, the Honda showed 45mpg average on the fist test, and with the second test, different car only 42mpg

miki69
10-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Well I do drive a lot on highways, 150+ km/h, so maybe I'm not the right person to talk about consumption. Everything below 120 km/h about 6.5-7l per 100km. If I drive it 150,160 km/h it can go to 9-10l per 100km

In the city (with very heavy traffic here in Vienna) about 8.5l (note that I do warm-up my car these days quite a bit, about 15min before I leave).

Cheers,
Miki

xtrailman
10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Miki

Appreciate the feedback, the city figure looks good.

CX-SV
11-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Great vid, very labor intensive, can only imagine the rattles that will need to be fixed later. For me not worth the expense (mostly labor cost) and possible extra weight tbd, not experiencing noise issues.

Z0RrO
07-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Just to let you know that there is a TSB for the mirror vibration. My dealer fix the mirror and the vibration is gone. The TSB is valid at least in Canada. TSB 09-13-03

runtohell121
07-30-2013, 02:34 PM
^Can't find any info on this TSB for US, or at least I don't know where to look for it.. For a 2014 model.

Mogambi
07-30-2013, 02:36 PM
^Can't find any info on this TSB for US, or at least I don't know where to look for it.. For a 2014 model.

I believe the TSB is only for 2013 models. They claim after a certain date this issue was fixed in new production, but I just took delivery of a 2014, and the hood and side mirror most definitely shake.

kmabee
08-06-2013, 09:15 AM
My 2014 CX5 GT is also experiencing driver side mirror shaking on highway driving.. it's pretty strong too. When music is playing with reasonable volume, the bass causes even more vibrations. Really annoying each time I look in the mirror to check traffic.

Mogambi
08-06-2013, 12:04 PM
I expect / hope that there will be TSBs for the 2014 mirror and hood vibration, since it is clear as day Mazda still hasn't fixed this problem.

withadot
08-15-2013, 01:25 PM
The dealership performed the driver's side mirror TSB fix yesterday. I had to take it in twice: 1st for them to disassemble the mirror and determine exactly which kind of bracket/part to order as per the TSB, and the 2nd time for them to install the new bracket. They expected it to take 2 hours, but it ended up taken them almost 4 hours because it was the first time they were doing this particular repair. The driver's side mirror is perfect now - no vibration. I highly recommend having this fix done if you are noticing mirror vibration on your 2013 CX-5 (mine was particularly bad - April 2012 build date). I had the hood vibration TSB repair done last fall, so both issues have been corrected and the dealership I've been working with has been stellar in their service. (i.e.: For the delay in making the repair they immediately gave me a loaner for the day so I wouldn't miss my other appointments and they thoroughly washed the exterior and cleaned the interior free of charge. The service manager himself was involved in making sure everything was taken care of. Also, every time I've visited they have always checked to make sure that the infotainment software is up to date. No updates have been released for the 2013 CX-5 as of yesterday. Occasionally, there has been a smudge or minor stain on the sandy-color seat fabric and they have cleaned it also at no charge. These little things make a difference and add up.)

MarineMike
08-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Took mine to the dealership today to have them check out the hood and mirror shaking. The service manager said that there is a TSB for the mirror on the 2014 models now. He also informed me that there is a backorder for the drivers side mirror due to all the repairs that are going on around the country. So apparently it's a serious issue that needs to be addressed. There currently isn't a TSB for the hood on the 2014 models but he did some calling around and they are going to order some parts and I need to take it back to them on Friday. I will let you guys know what I find out.

ALafya
08-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the update MarineMike.
Could you please post the TSB # for 2014 models mirror shake?

MarineMike
08-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the update MarineMike.
Could you please post the TSB # for 2014 models mirror shake?

I can talk to Service Manager on Friday and get the number for you.

crypie
08-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Any updates on whether or not there is a 2014 TSB for the mirror shake?

rstacey365
08-25-2013, 11:00 AM
I have driver side mirror shake on my 2014 Grand Touring. Mike, if you find out the TSB, please let me know. I plan to have this fixed the first time I take the car in for regular maintenance.

Took mine to the dealership today to have them check out the hood and mirror shaking. The service manager said that there is a TSB for the mirror on the 2014 models now. He also informed me that there is a backorder for the drivers side mirror due to all the repairs that are going on around the country. So apparently it's a serious issue that needs to be addressed. There currently isn't a TSB for the hood on the 2014 models but he did some calling around and they are going to order some parts and I need to take it back to them on Friday. I will let you guys know what I find out.

jginnane
08-25-2013, 11:46 AM
The pre-2014 TSB is Bulletin 09-002/13, last issued 02/26/2013, titled DRIVER-SIDE POWER DOOR MIRROR VIBRATION.

It is for CX-5s with VINs lower than JM3KE******168885. The more extensive of two possible repair procedures involves ordering and installing a metal strut inside the door, with one end being the attachment point for the outside mirror. Thus the whole frame of the door is stiffened to improve the integrity of the mirror mount.

officialtom
08-25-2013, 03:25 PM
New 2014 GT. Noticed driver side mirror shaking on day 1. Will be mentioning it to the service manager.

GLBones
08-25-2013, 04:40 PM
I took delivery of a 2014 GT and from the first drive on the highway also noticed both of the issues discussed in this thread. The dealer was very accommodating and told me they would order a new mirror but I was told that they were back ordered. After about 4 weeks I called back to find out the status of this back order and was told the mirror was in. I came in the next day and they told me that the fix was to replace the current 2014 mirror with a 2013 model and apply the 2013 TSB. Once done I still noticed some shaking and discussed it with the service manager. He told me he would contact Mazda and suggested I open a case with them as well, which I did. In the meantime, the service manager wanted to try to replace the 2013 mirror with a new 2014 mirror - NO GOOD. I've since spoke with my rep at Mazda and he told me that the only fix is the 2013 TSB and their is nothing else they can do at this time. I told him this was a lame answer and plan to discuss options with my service manager once again. I plan to give them a call tomorrow and have them order a second 2013 model and apply the same TSB. Hoping to get the luck of the draw.

One observation is that it is the glass and not the frame. However, I've tried using rubber shims with no luck. Anyone else have any ideas?

Also, those of you who think this isn't a big deal must drive very conservatively. I've always had a heavy foot and use my side view mirrors constantly to check my rear. Try telling the difference between a car with roof racks and a trooper when you mirror is shaking. Kind of frustrating to me!

MarineMike
08-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Sorry it took me a few days to post back... As of Friday (8/23/13) there is NOT a TSB out for the 2014 models. The service manager was mistaken. Sorry to get your hopes up guys! He has been using the 2013 TSB to fix the 2014 models that have the hood shake issue, which is what the tech line told his techs to do. As stated in my previous post, there is a huge back-order on the driver side mirror so it is indeed an big issue. Date of when my mirror is going to arrive at the dealership... anyone's guess. As far as my hood being fixed, when they took apart my hood they found that several brackets and the adhesive to hold the hood in place we busted. They replaced them all as well as the hood mounts and the hood shaking is completely gone.

officialtom
09-01-2013, 08:51 PM
Drove about 1,200km this weekend, mostly between 120 and 130kph, and the driver's side mirror vibrating was very distracting. Will definitely be mentioning it at my first oil change in December.

undergrad.
09-02-2013, 08:37 AM
My new 2014 CX-5 GS has the same issue with the driver side mirror shaking. Funny part is the first time I brought it in they said nothing was wrong with the mirror, boy were they wrong.. I'm taking it in for a second time Tuesday.

adv1701
09-02-2013, 08:47 AM
I have a 2014 Touring and haven't seen the mirror shake. The hood is a different story. Makes me a little nervous. More of a subtle vibration than an all out shake.

undergrad.
09-04-2013, 07:18 AM
I took my car in a second time to have them look at the mirror. They made a ticket with Mazda and it turns out they don't have a fix for the 2014 models yet so they are just replacing the mirror all together.

craigo
09-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I have a 2014 Touring and haven't seen the mirror shake. The hood is a different story. Makes me a little nervous. More of a subtle vibration than an all out shake.

I have noticed this too. My hood was also causing a loud buzz when accelerating through 2000-3000 RPM. I managed to silence it by turning the rubber hood bumpers clockwise as far as they would go. Still has some visible vibration, but no noise thankfully.

GLBones
09-19-2013, 09:41 PM
I took my car in a second time to have them look at the mirror. They made a ticket with Mazda and it turns out they don't have a fix for the 2014 models yet so they are just replacing the mirror all together.

Did you get your mirror replaced? The 2014 mirror replacement they installed on my car was worse than the original. So, I'm back to the modified 2013 they installed. Planning to reopen my case with Mazda after my next dealer visit.

speedbegone
09-19-2013, 11:44 PM
what puzzles me about this mirror thing, is that it is only on the driver side... you would think that both sides would shake.
I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the door, since only the mirror glass is shaking and not the frame.

If I had a spare mirror to play around with, I'm sure I could find what is causing the problem, how is it that mazda still doesn't know how to fix this? I had the same issue with my 2008.5 mazdaspeed 3 (only driver side too) they changed the mirror, and it seemed better or a while, than came back, but not as bad as originally... never had one issue with the passenger side... very odd

undergrad.
09-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Did you get your mirror replaced? The 2014 mirror replacement they installed on my car was worse than the original. So, I'm back to the modified 2013 they installed. Planning to reopen my case with Mazda after my next dealer visit.

I believe they replaced the frame of the mirror, not the mirror itself.. Sadly it didn't fix the problem. It is slightly better, but it's not fixed by any means..
The first thing I noticed after the repair was that there seems to be a larger opening between the mirror and the frame of the mirror.. Then I got on the highway and found that I could hear wind blowing by quite noticeably which was not a issue prior to them "fixing" the mirror.

undergrad.
09-20-2013, 07:45 AM
what puzzles me about this mirror thing, is that it is only on the driver side... You would think that both sides would shake.
I'm pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the door, since only the mirror glass is shaking and not the frame.

If i had a spare mirror to play around with, i'm sure i could find what is causing the problem, how is it that mazda still doesn't know how to fix this? I had the same issue with my 2008.5 mazdaspeed 3 (only driver side too) they changed the mirror, and it seemed better or a while, than came back, but not as bad as originally... Never had one issue with the passenger side... Very odd

exactly!

speedbegone
09-21-2013, 07:27 AM
they need to go macgyver on this shit... think outside the freakin corporate tsb issues and do what most drivers who DiY fixes... open up this mirror and find the source of the problem...

Or fire all the driver side mirror crew on the assembly line, and give the job to the passenger side team (gtfo).

seriously, I wonder how this problem is not already resolved, And how mazda is dealing with it, is just plain ignorance... oh, your mirror is shaking, lets just change it with one that is made in the exact same way.
This will fix it for sure.... wtf. I guess they like to lose money.

And wtf are they doing with the mirrors they take off the cars.... are they just swapping out these parts from car to car? and laughing at us. (bang).

Is this problem a big deal... no. but the fact that they cant fix it is a bigger deal... and should not be acceptable.

i still love my car and bought it even knowing about the problem, but I still hope they find the problem.

I my dealer says that they will swap my mirror to fix it, Ill ask to keep the original mirror to find the problem myself... of course they wont let me have it... but Ill still ask them for it.

ALafya
09-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Dealer is saying a wheel alignment is needed before approval of fix to my 2014 mirror shake is approved. This is since the TSB is applicable only to certain 2013 builds. The approval is probably coming from Mazda USA. They will perform the alignment tomorrow. I suspect nothing really wrong with the wheel alignment and so I told the service advisor. However, from time to time you need to delete all cookies or something else silly to get to the next level.
Interestingly enough, the service advisor asked me if my hood was vibrating. Which was interesting, because I am pretty sure he did not remember me mentioning it almost 2 months ago. He said it was a "simple hinge calibration", so I told him it does vibrate over rough road, but I am not sure how much better it can be. He said they will look at it too. The dealership seem genuinely interested in providing me with good service.

Anyway, I'll post updates in a few days.

Note I have test-driven 4 different CX-5 vehicles, 1 of which was a 2013. All had driver-side mirror shake. Not sure about hood though. I suspect that the passenger side mirror might be vibrating too, but because of the wider angle ("Objects in mirror are closer than they appear") the shaking is not visible.
The mirror in the Mazda3 loaner they gave me is much more stable and does not vibrate much at all. It is connected at the base of the pillar, unlike the CX-5.

ALafya
09-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Talking some more with my service advisor about the hood vibration he said that "hinge calibration" means they will slightly lower the hood at the hinges.
Mine does not vibrate much at all most of the time. However, last weekend I took it over a road trip and in one place, where warning strips were carved into the asphalt to warn drivers of an upcoming stop sign, the hood shook pretty wildly.
They will look at this next week.

ALafya
10-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Update:
Mirror has been fixed at the dealer. It is much better now!
Hood still trembles. Not sure if to insist on getting it fixed since it is not too bad.

Seminole
11-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Thought I'd give a quick update as I actually solved my mirror vibration today.

Back in March after I had gotten the car the dealer performed the TSB to replace the driver side mirror. After the fix, I still had a very noticeable vibration at speeds of 50+. While working on my car today I remembered there had been a few times, including immediately after I picked up my mirror from the dealer, where I would notice a whistling noise from the mirror area. If I pressed down onto the body colored mirror cap, the whistling noise would stop and stay away for a while.

Well today for whatever reason I chose to take a closer look at the caps on each side. I noticed the passenger side was very tight, to the point it was hard to fit a fingernail between the body color portion and the black surround. On the driver side, it was just as snug on the top, but on the inside closest to the window/door area, the cap was pulled back maybe an 1/8th of an inch, if that. I applied some pressure and snapped the cap completely back into place.

A few hours later I went out for a drive on the highway and the vibration in the mirror glass is completely gone. I have a longer drive tomorrow where I can verify that it's totally gone, but as of now I'm keeping my fingers crossed. So for those of you still struggling with this even after having a fix applied, go make sure your mirror caps are on as tight as they will go.

Heritage07
11-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Mazda telling anyone that wheel alignment is causing mirror shake is BS. I paid extra for tire rotation and balancing at my first service along with an alignment check and it had zero effect on fixing the mirror shake. In fact my dealer was clueless when I mentioned it to them. No surprise there!

TreyP
11-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Mazda telling anyone that wheel alignment is causing mirror shake is BS. I paid extra for tire rotation and balancing at my first service along with an alignment check and it had zero effect on fixing the mirror shake. In fact my dealer was clueless when I mentioned it to them. No surprise there!
I don't know if Mazda ever said that alignment was causing the shake, but I'm here to tell you that alignment NEVER causes a vibration. This is one of the biggest misconceptions the average driver has, and I would avoid any mechanic that would say such a thing.

I do see that you also got your tires balanced, and that is the single most common reason for a vibration.

All that being said, there is no way that any vibration would be seen in only the driver side mirror unless the driver side mirror or possibly the door was the culprit.

GLBones
11-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Thought I'd give a quick update as I actually solved my mirror vibration today.

Back in March after I had gotten the car the dealer performed the TSB to replace the driver side mirror. After the fix, I still had a very noticeable vibration at speeds of 50+. While working on my car today I remembered there had been a few times, including immediately after I picked up my mirror from the dealer, where I would notice a whistling noise from the mirror area. If I pressed down onto the body colored mirror cap, the whistling noise would stop and stay away for a while.

Well today for whatever reason I chose to take a closer look at the caps on each side. I noticed the passenger side was very tight, to the point it was hard to fit a fingernail between the body color portion and the black surround. On the driver side, it was just as snug on the top, but on the inside closest to the window/door area, the cap was pulled back maybe an 1/8th of an inch, if that. I applied some pressure and snapped the cap completely back into place.

A few hours later I went out for a drive on the highway and the vibration in the mirror glass is completely gone. I have a longer drive tomorrow where I can verify that it's totally gone, but as of now I'm keeping my fingers crossed. So for those of you still struggling with this even after having a fix applied, go make sure your mirror caps are on as tight as they will go.

GLBones
11-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Can you provide some pictures of these caps you snapped back into place? Much appreciated!

Seminole
11-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Can you provide some pictures of these caps you snapped back into place? Much appreciated!

See the red part on the mirror? That's the mirror cap, the body color portion of the mirror.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/images/uploads/mazda-cx-5-red-w.jpg

ALafya
11-15-2013, 01:02 AM
I suspect the passenger-side mirror also vibrates, only that being convex, i.e. having wide-angle view, the vibrations are not as visible.

I also got wheel alignment done before the actual mirror was fixed. Mazda insisted on doing this first. The service advisor told me that the alignment was costing them more than the mirror.

xtrailman
11-15-2013, 04:45 AM
I believe both mirrors are convex?

ALafya
11-16-2013, 12:47 PM
I believe both mirrors are convex?

In the US the driver side is 1:1 magnification.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_mirror

Seminole
12-23-2013, 01:16 AM
So mine is still vibrating. I decided to do a Google search and came across this update: Mazda Europe Mirror Fix (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CFYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rx8club.com%2Fattachments%2Fg eneral-automotive-49%2F197661d1376089032-s-k-y-bulletins-cx-5-outer-mirror-vibration-when-driving-highway-pdf&ei=B8e3UoK7MMO72QXShYCoDQ&usg=AFQjCNEwaHkVjmjTDWYEPeBpkDYanjZgXw&sig2=2UZt31hm5Kq8SLOjx60q6g&bvm=bv.58187178,d.b2I)

I noticed it was dated June/August of 2013, which is more recent then any TSB I had seen for the US. I cant really compare my VIN to the Euro VINs to see which group I fall in to, but at the very least it looks like they actually have a redesigned shape for the outside of the mirror. Does anyone know if a similar TSB has been issued for the US? I'd like to bring the car back to the dealer with a TSB, however I feel like if I show up with a EU one they'll just ignore it and me.

FreeBSD
01-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Dropped my CX-5 off at the dealership today to have the driver's side mirror replaced and the hood shaking problem fixed (again). They just called to say that the mirror has been replaced and there is now a TSB for the hood shaking problem but they've had to order the parts (I assume epoxy, as per the 2013 TSB). Will update this after I test drive the mirror and then again after the hood is repaired. Maybe my input to Transport Canada did something but I suspect the timing is mere coincidence.

socalcx-5
01-02-2014, 06:46 PM
so still no TSB in the US for the mirror shake? Has anyone with a '14 had any success getting theirs fixed by a dealer? Took mine on a road trip recently and noticed it, would like to get it fixed, but to me it's not serious enough to have to jump through a bunch of hoops and fight with Mazda.

ALafya
01-02-2014, 07:32 PM
My mirror was fixed. It is now much more stable (but not as still as other cars I've driven). I consider the mirror issue resolved.
Hood was fixed as well, but I am still seeing vibration. Perhaps it is slightly better. I don't know if it can be completely be resolved, perhaps the procedure did not work because the glue needs to cure at a balmy ~70F and it was pretty cold the day of the fix. I am thinking of removing the noise reduction thingy attached to the bottom of the hood to inspect the glue.
The only time it vibrates is when going over imperfect surface, such as highway patches, even ones which you will not slow down for. Is yours vibrating in a similar way?

socalcx-5
01-02-2014, 10:38 PM
My mirror was fixed. It is now much more stable (but not as still as other cars I've driven). I consider the mirror issue resolved.
Hood was fixed as well, but I am still seeing vibration. Perhaps it is slightly better. I don't know if it can be completely be resolved, perhaps the procedure did not work because the glue needs to cure at a balmy ~70F and it was pretty cold the day of the fix. I am thinking of removing the noise reduction thingy attached to the bottom of the hood to inspect the glue.
The only time it vibrates is when going over imperfect surface, such as highway patches, even ones which you will not slow down for. Is yours vibrating in a similar way?

I just took mine on a 1200 mile road trip, didn't notice any hood vibration, but the driver's mirror definitely shakes at highway speeds. So much so, that it's almost unusable on the highway. My wife and I don't do much highway driving, so I'm ok waiting until my first service to say anything to the dealership, but I'd feel a lot better about it if there was a TSB I could point them to, rather than them just trying to diagnose and fix with something that may or may not work and cause me to make multiple trip.s

Seminole
01-02-2014, 11:29 PM
so still no TSB in the US for the mirror shake? Has anyone with a '14 had any success getting theirs fixed by a dealer? Took mine on a road trip recently and noticed it, would like to get it fixed, but to me it's not serious enough to have to jump through a bunch of hoops and fight with Mazda.

I would have to think that if they issued a Euro TSB for a whole new mirror cover they'd most likely do the same for the US. We need to find someone on the inside to let us know if there is one (shady)

tibimakai
01-03-2014, 03:04 AM
If I knock on the driver's side mirror housing, something rattles inside. This is not there on the passenger side. The whole mirror assembly doesn't seem lose, nor the mirror itself. It's weird. I will let them know at my first service. I haven't looked or noticed anything wrong with the hood.
I have a rattle at the bottom of the A pillar and the steering wheel's column cover, over rough surfaces and while turning the steering wheel.

FreeBSD
01-04-2014, 12:18 AM
So here is a TSB that you can point them to.

FreeBSD
01-04-2014, 12:21 AM
That A-pillar noise problem might be caused by the telescoping steering lever rubbing against the steering column. At least, that was the cause of a buzzing sound that seemed to be coming either from the A-pillar area or from in front of the driver in my CX-5. Stangely, the buzzing sound seemed to move around.

FreeBSD
01-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Haven't road tested the mirror yet because the mechanic didn't install it properly. Can't tell if the whole mirror assembly was replaced or just parts of it. Power adjustor not working properly and mirror glass base plate is loose so there's no point road testing until the mirror is properly installed. My instincts tell me the problem isn't fixed yet.

Disappointed by the very sloppy workmanship demonstrated by this particular mechanic. He must have been having a holiday season hangover, he's got a bad attitude, or he's just incompetent.

FreeBSD
01-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Took the CX-5 out for a road test today. Up to about 105 km/h, the mirror shaking is pretty much absent. Above that speed (up to 120 km/h), I can see the mirror shaking a little but not enough to blur the image of what's behind me. Not sure how the mirror will react at higher speeds or if there is a strong headwind or crosswind. For now, it's good enough. Waiting for the parts to arrive at the dealer so they can fix the hood.

Seminole
01-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Did you show them the euro TSB to get them to fix the mirror or is there a North America specific TSB that they used?

FreeBSD
01-24-2014, 06:08 PM
I did not show them the Euro TSB. I didn't see the Euro TSB until after they told me there's a TSB for the mirror and they replaced parts of it. I didn't ask if they replaced the whole unit but it doesn't look like they did. I seem to recall that one of the fixes for the 2013s was to replace the mirror glass. I'm guessing that's what they did. If the mirror shaking shows up again at higher speeds or with higher winds, then I'll show them the Euro TSB. Still waiting for the parts (i assme it's glue) to fix the hood.

Seminole
01-24-2014, 09:36 PM
I'm taking mine in again tomorrow. I've already had the mirror replace but the vibration is there from 65+, sometimes it's worse then others. I'll bring them the euro TSB and see what they say. I'd assume the US has to have something similar

Seminole
01-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Well I'm happy so far. I printed out the first page of the December 2013 TSB for the hood vibration that nXt posted as well as the full Euro TSB for the mirror and showed it to my SA when I dropped the car off. He came back to me a little while later and said that they would be fixing both but had to order parts. According to the repair order they had to order a "outer mirror and bracket" and a "hood strip" for the hood portion. My build date is December 2012 so there seems to be hope for those of you that are still having issues. I'll post an update once the repairs are actually made.

FreeBSD
02-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Took the CX-5 out for a spin today (February 17) now that both the mirror and hood have been fixed according to the relevant TSBs. At about 105 km/h, I can see a bit of mirror vibration which doesn't seem to get much worse as I go faster (up to around 120 km/h). Also noticed that the hood fluttering is much less apparent at the same speeds although I think I can still see a slight vibration. If I hit a road seam at those speeds and even slower, I can still see the hood bounce, probably as much as it ever did. I'm going to accept the defects for now since there's probably not much else Mazda or the dealer can do.

Such a shame that Mazda let a couple of design or manufacturing flaws (or both) dull the sheen of an otherwise very nice vehicle.

04yamaha
02-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Pick up my new cx5 on Friday. Last Saturday I test drove it and bought it. Noticed in my test drive the mirror was vibrating. Didn't think anything of it till Sunday when I joined the forum and got reading. Glad I did cuz I mentioned it to the dealer and they are ordering parts and will have it fixed for Friday delivery. My wife was in today to take some info into them and the service guy said the TSB just came out feb 13th for the 2014 models ???

ErgoZoom
02-19-2014, 10:24 PM
What was the build date (month/year) of your CX-5, 04yamaha?

FreeBSD
02-20-2014, 01:17 AM
Pick up my new cx5 on Friday. Last Saturday I test drove it and bought it. Noticed in my test drive the mirror was vibrating. Didn't think anything of it till Sunday when I joined the forum and got reading. Glad I did cuz I mentioned it to the dealer and they are ordering parts and will have it fixed for Friday delivery. My wife was in today to take some info into them and the service guy said the TSB just came out feb 13th for the 2014 models ???

That could be but it could also be that the dealer knew of the defect beforehand and didn't want to admit it so they copped out by saying the TSB was recent (i.e., February 13). You might want to ask them for the TSB number.

FreeBSD
02-20-2014, 01:20 AM
Almost feels like Mazda is jacking its CX-5 customers around. Not a good way to build a reputation for quality or integrity. Worse yet, it's the sort of behaviour you would have expected from Detroit decades ago.

Eric.D
04-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Is the new TSB for 2014 CX-5 coming out? Anyone knows?

groovinD
04-24-2014, 02:52 AM
Not sure about any new TSB for the 2014s since I haven't personally found one, but i believe they might be out there. I called the dealer and told them about my mirror and the vibration on the front passenger side and scheduled an appointment and they took care of it right away .
Yesterday they installed the new mirror and put some foam sealant so no more vibration in the front .

ALafya
05-15-2014, 12:29 AM
Knock on wood, looks like my hood shake has finally been fixed!

Previous attempt at fixing this was with TSB 09-036/13, putting glue/caulk/sealant on the bottom of the hood, below the insulation piece. This only reduced the vibrations somewhat.
At the last oil-change I complained about the hood shake again and this time they replaced the cowl, a part just below the hood at the base of the windshield which goes from side to side. I remember inspecting the old part, before it was replaced, and thinking that this is too flimsy to give any mechanical support to the hood. The new cowl does seem to give this mechanical support and has beefier rubber bumper.
I took the car for a test drive on our local highways, in sections I know it used to tremble and ... looks significantly better!
I'll watch it tomorrow on my commute, but I think it is finally fixed. Yay!

Now, if only the USB will resume playback ...

Jrgee72
05-15-2014, 10:29 AM
I have a 2014 GS(Touring trim) produced in October 2013 and I take the highway everyday for about 50 minutes each way in my commute @ about 110-120km/h and have not noticed anything at all with the hood or the passenger mirror. There is a slight shake in the driver's mirror only but not the housing but it does not interfere with my ability to use the mirror since I am only glancing at it not staring at the side mirror while I am driving.

craigo
05-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Previous attempt at fixing this was with TSB 09-036/13, putting glue/caulk/sealant on the bottom of the hood, below the insulation piece. This only reduced the vibrations somewhat.
At the last oil-change I complained about the hood shake again and this time they replaced the cowl, a part just below the hood at the base of the windshield which goes from side to side. I remember inspecting the old part, before it was replaced, and thinking that this is too flimsy to give any mechanical support to the hood. The new cowl does seem to give this mechanical support and has beefier rubber bumper.
I took the car for a test drive on our local highways, in sections I know it used to tremble and ... looks significantly better!

I actually have my CX5 at the dealer right now for this. The service manager mentioned a part with additional bracing was being added along with the caulking. This must be what he meant. This part is in short supply at the moment though so its been sitting there for a few days.

For me, the most annoying thing about the vibration is that my hood makes a harmonic buzz when accelerating between 2000-3000 rpm on a warm day. Hopefully this kills it.

Beefy
08-02-2014, 01:46 AM
Had my 2014 CX-5 in for mirror vibration today. The work order says they replaced the mounting bracket. Much better now!

CX5-NJ
08-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Mine also has an issue with the vibrating of the drivers side mirror. The Dealership is ordering me a new housing. It looks like the mirror
housing is defective, and they will probably be putting out a recall on this issue with the outside mirrors on the CX-5.

SomeGuyFromNYC
08-09-2014, 05:46 PM
so has the mirror vibration problem finally been fixed by Mazda's TSB? My drivers side mirror vibrates so at the next oil change I will tell them about it, only if the current TSB solves the problem. I'm afraid they may replace the mirror/bracket and then have the problem be worse.

My '14 CX5 was built in october '13.

CX5-NJ
08-09-2014, 06:05 PM
I believe the vibration in the mirror has been corrected. Too many vehicle owners were having the same issue with the mirrors. My new mirror
housing will be installed sometime late next week.

SomeGuyFromNYC
08-09-2014, 07:24 PM
I believe the vibration in the mirror has been corrected. Too many vehicle owners were having the same issue with the mirrors. My new mirror

Keep us updated if it solves the problem!

CX5-NJ
08-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Will do!

jjac28
08-09-2014, 11:35 PM

No vibration issues with my 2015 cx-5, built date 04/14. The car is flawless.

Seminole
08-10-2014, 12:17 PM

Do you have a bulletin number for the fix that people can reference?

Are they replacing it with the new 2015 housing or an updated version of the 2014 and prior version?

ALafya
08-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Do you have a bulletin number for the fix that people can reference?
The invoice says:

13180 Added revised cowl seal and adjusted hood pretension per TSB 09-036/13.

This is the same number as I wrote above.

Heritage07
12-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Finally had my driver side mirror guts replaced today. Absolutely no shaking at any speed woohoo!

Seminole
12-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Finally had my driver side mirror guts replaced today. Absolutely no shaking at any speed woohoo!

Was it updated with the new style mirror or does it still look like the old style?

Heritage07
12-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Was it updated with the new style mirror or does it still look like the old style?

It's the inner guts and the outer ring that are replaced so the mirror external housing is the original.

sonex293
01-20-2015, 12:13 PM
I had my mirror vibration fixed at the dealership. No vibration up to 70mph. I did notice that wind noise from the mirror is higher. Not happy about that!

Michael

designtheland
02-26-2015, 02:44 PM
I had my mirror vibration fixed at the dealership. No vibration up to 70mph. I did notice that wind noise from the mirror is higher. Not happy about that!

Do you have the old style mirrors, still? or the new style with signal light on front of mirror?
Michael

runtohell121
03-07-2015, 08:57 PM
I have yet to go get my car fixed for 1.5 years... But I'm not sure if this is getting worse or not?

Yesterday I was driving on a one lane highway when a truck drove by, creating wind/vortex or whatever it's called... the hood seems to have "lifted" up by 0.25" or so for a second or two from the angle of the driver. Just seems unsafe and I know the hood is vibrating on the highway for sure, along with the mirrors. Can the issue get worse?

I should probably have a list of what needs to be fixed by Mazda/dealers as there are other problems... Rattling when fan/ac is on, rattling from the dash, wind coming out of the leg vents even when blowing at person only is selected...

big_c
08-31-2015, 10:48 PM
I had the same issue. 11/12 build 2013 CX5. Should have not been affected according to the TSB, however all my foam seal points were delaminated. I don't want to deal with that ultra rare 3m adhesive and a mixing gun, so I used clear silicone adhesive all around the seam. I made sure to get some sealant inside the hood skin area so it bonded better. Silicone should hold it together without bouncing yet remain flexible in all weather conditions, while not pulling dents like a solid epoxy would.

Its drying now so I will report back this week on how it performed. I added a bit of weight to the area where the hood skin was off to try and keep it tight while curing. I think the factory describes it as "preload" which they supposedly increased after the TSB.

Not a huge deal, just kinda annoying when the hood skin is bouncing around while driving. Hoping the silicone works :)

MikeM.
09-01-2015, 03:22 AM
Wow! I haven't heard of this problem for a while! I've had my 2013 from new and while it's supposed to be affected by the flexy hood, I have only seen it move slightly at 80-85 mph and it doesn't bother me at all. It's not like it's going to self-destruct or anything.

Heritage07
09-03-2015, 05:58 AM

Well guess what, the mirror shake has returned. It's not as bad, but noticeable. My hood bounces around like and old fashion pop corn machine before the kernels pop, but I haven't had it fixed yet.

SomeGuyFromNYC
09-03-2015, 06:38 AM
I just had my sideview mirror housings replaced with 15/16 style ones and the mirror STILL vibrates. They replaced the guts of the drivers side mirror back in January, still vibrated, which is what prompted the outer housing to be replaced yesterday.

Welp, at least I got the updated housing with the turn signal indicator on the front...

Unobtanium
09-03-2015, 10:11 AM
I just ignore the fluttering hood and mirror. It isn't like this is a family heirloom, and it doesn't hurt function, so meh.

Unobtanium
09-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Wow! I haven't heard of this problem for a while! I've had my 2013 from new and while it's supposed to be affected by the flexy hood, I have only seen it move slightly at 80-85 mph and it doesn't bother me at all. It's not like it's going to self-destruct or anything.

Mine flutters like a fluttery thing, but I figure the worse that could happen is it would unlatch and smash the hell out of the vehicle (might total it if it caves the roof in), and I will slowly stop, get out, and call a wrecker and then the debate over speeding? failure to properly close hood? Our design could never do that...!? will begin in court, lol

MikeM.
09-03-2015, 10:24 AM
I figure the worse that could happen is it would unlatch and smash the hell out of the vehicle (might total it if it caves the roof in), and I will slowly stop, get out, and call a wrecker

I don't know what kind of insecure fantasy world you live in where a slight flutter in the sheet metal of the hood is potentially one step away from the car self-destructing.

For public safety reasons, I think it is time to surrender your weapons to the local law enforcement.

Unobtanium
09-03-2015, 03:24 PM
I don't know what kind of insecure fantasy world you live in where a slight flutter in the sheet metal of the hood is potentially one step away from the car self-destructing.

For public safety reasons, I think it is time to surrender your weapons to the local law enforcement.

What do you not understand about "worse that could happen"? Do you have an alternative "worst possible scenario" aside the hood coming unlatched?

edj_03
09-03-2015, 06:33 PM
What do you not understand about "worse that could happen"? Do you have an alternative "worst possible scenario" aside the hood coming unlatched?
Worse I've actually seen was the hood flying up on a POS compact. Not mine, probably not funny from driver's perspective, but, I had stop from laughing at the sight... Fortunately, only thing that got hurt was the hood, which folded over the top of the car... I don't have the issue with my car, but if I did, I feel pretty secure that the hinges should at least limit the carnage...

Unobtanium
09-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Worse I've actually seen was the hood flying up on a POS compact. Not mine, probably not funny from driver's perspective, but, I had stop from laughing at the sight... Fortunately, only thing that got hurt was the hood, which folded over the top of the car... I don't have the issue with my car, but if I did, I feel pretty secure that the hinges should at least limit the carnage...

If the hood comes up at 80mph, those hinges are breaking, or their mounting hardware ripping through/breaking/breaking free of their moorings. All depends on the hood and all that as to what happens to the windshield and roof.

edj_03
09-03-2015, 09:47 PM
If the hood comes up at 80mph, those hinges are breaking, or their mounting hardware ripping through/breaking/breaking free of their moorings. All depends on the hood and all that as to what happens to the windshield and roof.
I bet the thin shaky tin would buckle before any real damage to vehicle... Now driving at 80 and suddenly getting that shock along with losing the abilityto see the road would cause much more... Think slamming brakes, jerking wheel, rolling over off edge of mountain, into the abyss in a fiery inferno [emoji33]...

See, the shaky hood and mirrors, in and of itself is not much to worry about...

Unobtanium
09-03-2015, 10:56 PM
I bet the thin shaky tin would buckle before any real damage to vehicle... Now driving at 80 and suddenly getting that shock along with losing the abilityto see the road would cause much more... Think slamming brakes, jerking wheel, rolling over off edge of mountain, into the abyss in a fiery inferno [emoji33]...

See, the shaky hood and mirrors, in and of itself is not much to worry about...
The hood is heavy and steel.
Yeah, I dunno how I'd react. I've not had that happen to me before. All of my hoods have been stable to a buck fifty and beyond, this one gets fluttery at just fifty on rough roads, lol. Still, I doubt it goes anywhere.

MikeM.
09-03-2015, 11:37 PM

The safety engineering of the CX-5's hood latching mechanism is the best I've seen and runs intelligent circles around the fantasies I see presented here. There is no conceivable way that hood is flying open on the freeway, even if the owner is negligent in closing it. It is designed with a double safety latch, the first latch is spring loaded in such a way that the weight of the hood resting on it engages the safety latch which is strong enough to prevent the hood from lifting up to at least the top speed of the vehicle. Not even fluttering is going to cause this latch to release the hood. This latch engages even if the car is parked on a steep hill simply from the weight of the steel hood. The second latch holds the hood tight to the engine bay and is engaged by letting the weight of the hood fall about 1".

Furthermore, the hinges are made of heavy steel. Even if the safety latching mechanism became corroded and did not latch (and the owner was negligent in closing it all the way to the main latch), in this extremely unlikely scenario, the strength of the large retaining bolts and steel hinges will retain the hood against the windshield. The hinges are designed to resist as they bend to allow the hood to fold back against the windshield. Steel is easy to bend but it's not going to shear in such a scenario. In this extremely unlikely scenario (which I will point out has nothing to do with hood flutter and everything to do with negligence in closing and maintaining the retaining mechanism), the design of the hood is such that you can still see forward by looking underneath the trailing edge of the hood.

Those worried that a little fluttering of the sheet steel forming the skin of the hood is going to cause the hood to fly open have a very poor understanding of the engineering and design of the latching mechanism and hinges. Or they are insecure worry warts who have a tendency to worry about every little danger in life, no matter how unrealistic that worry is.

ALafya
09-04-2015, 08:38 PM
I had my hood vibrations fixed, as you can see in previous posts.

I don't think it was possible for the hood to fly off and I never considered it as a safety issue. The problem with vibrations was mostly visually annoying and the area of vibration was close to the windshield and not at the front of the car. At least for me, the vibration was noticeable on pot holes / road imperfections, was not really a function of speed.

With the fix, even on nasty imperfections the hood either does not move or moves ever so slightly and immediately stops, such that there is no visible vibration to speak of.

Chris_Top_Her
09-05-2015, 01:57 AM
solution
http://i.imgur.com/QY9bYQj.jpg

brillo54
09-05-2015, 03:06 AM
solution
http://i.imgur.com/QY9bYQj.jpg

LOL Chris. I wonder what the Cd for that configuration is? (uhm)

Unobtanium
09-05-2015, 10:59 AM
^runs cooler, more powa!

DanaD
09-21-2015, 02:47 PM
I took my 2014 in today to see if they could fix the mirror vibration. They told me it was covered under the 3/36 warranty, but he "is going to have to check" to see if it's covered under the extended CPO warranty I got when I bought the car. I also told him I have recently noticed the driver door doesn't open very well. It's like it catches a bit. He said this was unrelated. I find it odd that the fix he told me would have to be done for the mirror involved a brace in the door but the door catching isn't related?? Funny that I didn't mention the hood to him but have certainly noticed that as well. I have a lot of pages to read on this forum to figure out if anyone else has had this issue (door not hood) and to find out if anyone else had this covered under extended warranty. For the record, I love this car, even with the mirror and hood shimmy and the catchy door. :D

Ride92
04-04-2016, 02:06 PM
I've been Noticing vibration in the hood on my 2016 when traveling at higher speeds, 60+mph. I know this TSB is for older models but has anyone seen hood vibration on a newer model? What is considered normal amount of hood movement?

Tccox
04-04-2016, 03:07 PM
None in my 2016 , at least up to 75-80 MPH haven't gone faster than than

madar
04-05-2016, 06:37 PM
I've been Noticing vibration in the hood on my 2016 when traveling at higher speeds, 60+mph. I know this TSB is for older models but has anyone seen hood vibration on a newer model? What is considered normal amount of hood movement?
If you have any concerns, just pop off the insulation underneath the hood and take a look at the adhesive points attaching the sheet metal to the hood frame, comes off relatively easy. Mine were all broken when I bought the car. I finally took it in before the bumper to bumper warranty expired WITHOUT the insulation. It kind of forced them to say "yeah, there's a problem", rather than it looks normal. Nice and solid now with no flutter.

Ride92
04-06-2016, 11:03 AM
^^^Good Suggestion^^^ I will pull the insulation off and take a look. I was just wondering if anyone else with a 2016 had experienced any problems. I know the TSB is for 2012-2015 models I believe, but since mine is a very early 2016 there may have been some missed VIN's in the TSB. what is considered normal amount of hood movement?

madar
04-06-2016, 12:02 PM
^^^Good Suggestion^^^ I will pull the insulation off and take a look. I was just wondering if anyone else with a 2016 had experienced any problems. I know the TSB is for 2012-2015 models I believe, but since mine is a very early 2016 there may have been some missed VIN's in the TSB. what is considered normal amount of hood movement?
Actually, there were two TSBs for the earlier models. Mine was supposedly covered by the first one before I bought the vehicle, so the dealer told me. The later one used a better kind of adhesive. I don't know what defines "normal" amount of hood movement.

Ride92
04-06-2016, 02:00 PM
So does the second tsb cover the 2016s? Anyone know where to find that?

madar
04-06-2016, 02:58 PM
So does the second tsb cover the 2016s? Anyone know where to find that?

I believe the second one came out because the first one didn't address the problem adequately. Yours shouldn't have the problem.

Ride92
04-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Well I took the liner of the hood off today to take a look and found that three of the "glue" point that are right near the windshield are broken. I believe this is what is causing my hood vibrations. Honestly, there's not a whole lot holding the support to the hood. I will bring it up at my next oil change.

Pictures:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=213692&d=1460067179

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=213691&d=1460067179

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=213690&d=1460067179

Unobtanium
04-07-2016, 06:31 PM
^^My hood flops like a dying fish (it's hard to tell the difference between "normal" and "not latched fully", literally. Doesn't hurt anything. Let me know if the dealer cares or if they just shrug.

yrwei52
04-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Well I took the liner of the hood off today to take a look and found that three of the "glue" point that are right near the windshield are broken. I believe this is what is causing my hood vibrations. Honestly, there's not a whole lot holding the support to the hood. I will bring it up at my next oil change.Haven't noticed any flutter on the hood from our 2016 CX-5 but ours seldom drives on the highway. I was surprised yours till have such issue as I thought Mazda should have fixed this simple problem after two TSBs. May be you should take your CX-5 to the dealer without insulation like madar did. :)

hek8560
04-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Nothing vibration compare to when take your can and drive up to 110 mile per hour. The outside plastic will click on your windshield, and the wind noise is crazy. I found that not only hood or mirror vibrate a lot, but also I found the front tires vibrate with engine when you put in P gear.(Usually after driving for 10 miles)

madar
04-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Well I took the liner of the hood off today to take a look and found that three of the "glue" point that are right near the windshield are broken. I believe this is what is causing my hood vibrations. Honestly, there's not a whole lot holding the support to the hood. I will bring it up at my next oil change.

Pictures:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=213692&d=1460067179

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=213691&d=1460067179

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=213690&d=1460067179
If you're still covered under your bumper to bumper warranty they should take care of it.

Unobtanium
04-07-2016, 09:29 PM
If you're still covered under your bumper to bumper warranty they should take care of it.

Ah, mine lapsed a long time ago. NVM

PatrickGSR94
06-16-2017, 10:13 AM
I just completed the hood vibration TSB myself last night, which included installing a new revised hood cowl trim seal. I didn't have the specified sealant so I stuffed in pieces of foam backer rod instead, into the spaces specified in the TSB. No more vibrations!

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123860608-Hood-vibration-fixed!-New-cowl-seal-installed-per-TSB