Hood and Mirror Vibration

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD Machine Grey Metallic
hello everyone. this is my first post. i just purchased a new cx-5 on 5/19. i have a liquid silver touring model. i noticed as i got on the freeway that the hood vibrates a lot at highway speeds when the road is a little rough. i also noticed the mirrors vibrate as well. any one else experience the same problems and has the dealer resolved the issue? thanks for your input. other than the 2 issues, i love the vehicle.

hello everyone. this is my first post. i just purchased a new cx-5 on 5/19. i have a liquid silver touring model. i noticed as i got on the freeway that the hood vibrates a lot at highway speeds when the road is a little rough. i also noticed the mirrors vibrate as well. any one else experience the same problems and has the dealer resolved the issue? thanks for your input. other than the 2 issues, i love the vehicle.

I have something similar, it's more like when I accelerate the window driverside or passenger side rattles not sure from door or glass but ya it's really annoying for a new car, when I let go of gas pedal then noise is gone

this is crazy, the mirror vibration is also in the cx9 and mazda cant fix it????? what the helll?

It's a relatively minor issue in an overall great car. I think the problem is overstated and has not at all soured my desicion to buy.

I agree. I don't know if others are experiencing something way worse but I honestly would not have noticed it if it weren't for this forum pointing it out.

The hood flexes at higher speeds or in windy conditions b/c the hood is thin. Power mirrors are notorious for vibrating at speed and especially when you have a fairly taught suspension. Now, my Z32TT had a little bit of that, but there was also a hex head that you could tighten or loosen that fixed the problem.

If you're getting a buzzing noise then you might want them to take a look at it. I have a slight noise from the plastic piece at the corner of the drivers side window. I'm leaving it alone for now, but will probably have them fix it if it changes. Heck, have them take a look at your mirrors, but I don't see them doing much with it. The best mirrors I had were on my F150... fixed mirrors and no vibration. =)

It's a relatively minor issue in an overall great car. I think the problem is overstated and has not at all soured my desicion to buy.

you must be one of the lucky ones that isn't experiencing the issue. for the rest of us that are, the hood and mirror vibration is very irritating. i've owned several types of cars in my life and none have had these problems.

my wife purchased a 2012 ford focus at the same time i purchased the cx-5. that car is amazing. quietest cabin i've ever rode in, no vibrations, steering wheel turns with just the slightest pressure. no bluetooth streaming issues.

I'm looking carefully for any of these problems, I'm very picky. NPF.

did a 600 round trip today and yes both the mirror and hood vibrate..although the mirror does not bother me the bonnet looks like there are a few subs pumping under it lol.. its not a concern tho as long as it does not fly off.

IMO, It's avery minor issue. Noticeable but Not enough to bother me anyway.

It's likely NO NEW CAR will satisfy you then..

Not true, I said NPF ( no problem found is what that means btw )

I'm very picky regardless. I find the CX-5 to be an excellent vehicle after 4K miles.

Last edited:
Not true, I said NPF ( no problem found is what that means btw )

I'm very picky regardless. I find the CX-5 to be an excellent vehicle after 4K miles.

Ah..Ok...Misread. After owning 65 cars the CX5 is about as good as it gets (excellent)....:)

After owning 65 cars the CX5 is about as good as it gets (excellent)....:)

I've owned too many cars to count and currently own 2 premium sport sedans to compare to daily, agreed the CX is amazing and so well engineered.

i put a hold in my order because of this issue, the dealer cant fix it?

These a extremely minor problems. It's easy to pick problems on any new car if you are looking for them. So these are quite minor.
I do notice the mirror vibration, but it's not a big deal. Mazda as per all their new cars, done a piece by piece, gram by gram weight saving measure. When they looked at the mirror mount, they must have taken some weight off it in turn leaving it a little under powered in terms of reducing the chance of vibration.

I've been researching the CX5 and have done a test drive, and this is one of the few concerns I have. I don't really mind that the hood vibrates at speed since most of my driving is in the city but the thinness of the metal does concern me. Here in Houston we get at least 3-5 hail storms a year and I can just imagine the thin hood looking like the surface of a golf ball after a year if it's as fragile as it appears. I believe the rest of the body is also using a thinner than standard but high-strength steel which I'm also curious about it's impact resistance.

I've notiiced no difference in metal thickness versus the other 2 late model import sedans in my garage. All of them have aluminum hoods. I have not measured CX-5 metal thickness, so far nobody has here.

Btw-My friends 2007 4Runner (4500+ lb truck) incurred hail damage during a cross country trip last year, otherwise it's been durable. His only complaint about that vehicle is gas mileage (V6).

I don't think the vibration on the hood is any indication that it's flimsy or thin. I believe they have to be built within certain standards. Take a look at the front end crash tests on you tube. The vibration and damage you see (on slow motion footage) on the cx5 is no different than that of an audi.

Back