New Member-and question

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring
Alright, been reading here since I got my CX-5. Wanted to know what's been going on with people, issues, resolutions, aftermarket parts, etc...so thank you all so much. Info was great, got my all weather mats for about half cost from dealer, and am still looking for more.

anyway, have a CX-5 Touring Black, Sand Interior (will be replaced with leather but I didn't like the dealer leather). Fuel Question

I've run it about 10 mi past the RANGE 0.0 and when I filled up, still only had 12.7 Gal to fit in, it's a 14 GAL tank. So, I have two questions really...

1. How many gallons are left when the fuel light comes on? (Mine comes on when showing 30-31 mi left on range.)
2. Could I not be getting complete fill-ups? Typically don't "top off" so is it possible it doesn't fill all the way?

Anyway, currently only getting around 28 mpg (self Calc), 27.3 (car Calc)....don't get me wrong, great mileage, but not as much as I would expect, especially after 1800 mi and I've nursed it a little. Coming from my 08 and before that 04 3S 5Dr's I've given up the pep for space, but without losing gas mileage...which rules. So, I am thinking it's not calibrated properly or I'm not getting the right gas mileage.

and to any Auburn brethren out there...War Eagle.

1. How many gallons are left when the fuel light comes on? (Mine comes on when showing 30-31 mi left on range.)
I noticed my gas light came on, I probably drove about another 10 miles. When I topped the gas off at the gas station, it came out to be around 12.9 gallons. I still had 2 bars in the E zone left. My tank size is 15.3 gallons. One interesting thing I noticed was when the auto shut off think kicked while getting gas, I saw gas bubbling to the top. It kinda scared me a bit, but I am pretty sure i was doing it right. So I doubt that you are not filling up all the way. Also I got all the bars back on the gas tank indicator once I was done fuelling

Welcome to mazdas247.com. Congrats on the new CX-5.

A couple of notes:

Fuel tank capacity is 14.8 gallons for fwd and 15.3 gallons awd.

EPA "combined" mileage ratings are 29 mpg for the fwd and 28 mpg for awd.

yeah, read the 14.8 thing...doesn't explain why I didn't even hit 13 when filling up from "beyond empty." I figure with my driving habits, where I drive and my typical speeds, over 30 should be what I'm getting 1 tank that was 90% highway I still only got 28.

not a complaint, just thinking that I'm not getting the full amount of mileage per tank, which is shorting my total overall MPG.

I'm hitting base benchmarks for the car...no issue there. but when that light comes on, I'm thinking I have closer to 80 mi not 30...I guess I could just grab a gas can and see how far it goes until empty...but more likely I'll take it to my dealer and talk to them directly about it.

I think the dealer will give a short answer along the lines of "it's a built-in reserve" for safety, maybe they have an estimate of how much.

Its just weird that my dealer told me, "If the light comes on, you dont have a whole lot of time" I think she maybe looking at the range number?

My three was 3 GAL...if they could just tell me that, I'd be happy. Owners Manual doesn't say. just tells you what the capacity and what the light means.

and the range number is BS...mine jumps all over. and trust me. I drove it over 10 mi past 0.0. I'll talk to the dealer and test it myself if needed. I have about a half tank...shouldn't need gas again for about a week though... ;)

For questions like this, I would have low expectations regarding what dealer could tell you (if we are expecting facts).

The high pressure gas pump for fuel injection needs gas to cool it. If you run it out of gas it could overheat and be bad. Probably has a reserve to reduce this from happening...

My 2010 mazda3s had a 14.x gallon tank. Most i could ever fill was 11.8-11.9 gal. My cx5 is the same. One user tested it and drove and drove on those extra gallons after 0 to prove there was the reserve. Our cx5 has the same reserve. It serves 2 purposes. Guarentees you will never run out of gas and also helps the fuel pump extend its life.

Interesting. Well, I want to know the actual capacity and range, because it makes no sense stopping for gas if I can go another 50 or 100 miles.... especially when on a road trip, late at night, etc.

I will take a gas can and find out how far I can go until empty, unless there is some truth to the idea that it could damage the fuel pump? Really? Sounds like engineer bs LOL. Even if that's true, I think Mazda should be honest about the capacity and range. I don't need to be lied to like an idiot or treated like an infant. I can manage to not run out of gas, if they simply provide me accurate information and gauges. Don't have my car tell me it's empty if there is really 2+ gallons left and I can still drive 50-100 miles. Come on Mazda... I didn't buy a Toyota... I don't need my car to take care of me. LOL

All my cars have some reserve, it's expected. A non issue for me. Don't worry about the fuel pump, I have never heard of actual failure due to running low on gas.

The biggest risk is possible accident from running out of gas in bad place.

Last edited:
mr.fusion Why don't you google "tank fuel pump cooling" and do a little reading...

Back