Navigation on Canadian models

jsp

:
Mazda CX-5 GS AWD
Anyone tried or have the Navigation on a Canadian model ? I am in Quebec and considering adding the accessory, but the price is pretty high, looking for some impressions on this feature.

i would wholeheartedly tell anyone who didn't get it in a package to go buy a really nice gps at the store and save yourself the ridiculous price of that POS gps module from tomtom

if i had spent the 500 us on this thing and it performed the way it does, i would be filled with furious rage, rather than the extreme annoyance i'm experiencing since it came with the tech package (it was actually the rest of the items i wanted, not the gps, but, its a package)

i would wholeheartedly tell anyone who didn't get it in a package to go buy a really nice gps at the store and save yourself the ridiculous price of that POS gps module from tomtom

if i had spent the 500 us on this thing and it performed the way it does, i would be filled with furious rage, rather than the extreme annoyance i'm experiencing since it came with the tech package (it was actually the rest of the items i wanted, not the gps, but, its a package)

Ok, I already own a portable Garming Nuvi, I am not in love with it and hate to have to take it off each time I have to use it so I tend not to use it. I liked the fact that it would display on the cars radio and that it would integrate with the hands free. I have great success with the hands free system for calls, hopefully it would be the same experience for GPS.

What is it that annoys you with the NAV system ?

I have it, I am OK with it, it is not great but it does a decent job, the POI are really bad and I don't like when you search something, the interface is not that great. But it does the job.

I had a Garmin 3790LMT, and eventhought the voice recognition was not better, everything else was.

But like you said, I am still OK with it since I don't have to carry the GPS with me....

Thought I would read about the system in the manual and found ... refer to the
separate “NAVIGATION SYSTEM Owner's Manual”.

Anyone knows where I can get a soft copy of that manual ?

Ok, I already own a portable Garming Nuvi, I am not in love with it and hate to have to take it off each time I have to use it so I tend not to use it. I liked the fact that it would display on the cars radio and that it would integrate with the hands free. I have great success with the hands free system for calls, hopefully it would be the same experience for GPS.

What is it that annoys you with the NAV system ?

the voice control for the nav doesn't work a quarter as good as the cars phone system does, i understand you liking to have it in the dash and not extra pieces, but i can't recommend anyone paying the 500 for the module as it stands right now
voice control is garbage, it works ok for 'fixed' commands, but it has a lot of trouble with names, in particular pois
if you dont ask for EXACTLY the poi name as it has it listed it wont find it and it will give you erroneous results

it starts navigating to where it thinks you want to go right away, never gives you an option to select from a list of places or to confirm where its going is what you want, just jumps right to the closest one (i can see where the idea of that is good, the execution however leaves a lot to be desired, especially with no way to voice search for a list of results)

the poi selection is very spotty, it doesn't even have subcategories for when you are using the screen controls, to narrow down what your looking for like restaurants, its shows you all, doesn't let you narrow down by style, same for shopping/stores
it didn't have our local county headquarters/state offices, county sherriff's office and jail, or the post office....

lately the safety lock has become an extreme nuisance, its constantly kicking out of voice command when you are slowing to a stop or going slow or starting from a stop

the voice control for the nav doesn't work a quarter as good as the cars phone system does, i understand you liking to have it in the dash and not extra pieces, but i can't recommend anyone paying the 500 for the module as it stands right now
voice control is garbage, it works ok for 'fixed' commands, but it has a lot of trouble with names, in particular pois
if you dont ask for EXACTLY the poi name as it has it listed it wont find it and it will give you erroneous results

it starts navigating to where it thinks you want to go right away, never gives you an option to select from a list of places or to confirm where its going is what you want, just jumps right to the closest one (i can see where the idea of that is good, the execution however leaves a lot to be desired, especially with no way to voice search for a list of results)

the poi selection is very spotty, it doesn't even have subcategories for when you are using the screen controls, to narrow down what your looking for like restaurants, its shows you all, doesn't let you narrow down by style, same for shopping/stores
it didn't have our local county headquarters/state offices, county sherriff's office and jail, or the post office....

lately the safety lock has become an extreme nuisance, its constantly kicking out of voice command when you are slowing to a stop or going slow or starting from a stop

That sounds annoying, I haven't been a big user of POIs on my other GPS, but again i'd take it out when going to a new place where I wasn't sure and didn't want to be running around in circles.

What about traffic data and how the GPS handles it (re-routes ? or you have to force it to do so).

That sounds annoying, I haven't been a big user of POIs on my other GPS, but again i'd take it out when going to a new place where I wasn't sure and didn't want to be running around in circles.

annoying isn't a strong enough descriptor, i told my dealer that if i had bought this module separately i would have been furious about what a POS it is
here's one of tomtoms top of the line models http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/go-2535-tm-wte/index.jsp
350 bucks msrp (meaning you can prolly find it cheaper) so its 150 less than the module that you buy separately
for your 150 extra you get it interfaced with the car, but you lose the bluetooth, the lifetime map and traffic so tomtom saves money on not including display, bluetooth, and free lifetime updates, basically just putting the core guts into an injection molded carrier and charging a premium

What about traffic data and how the GPS handles it (re-routes ? or you have to force it to do so).

i only had one experience with the traffic re-routing, it popped up, but for some reason it wouldn't let me click the option to view the proposed changes because of another popup on the screen covering that button, and it eventually went away before i could view it and left me on the route i was on

the traffic data isn't very accurate either, it fails to show a lot of construction and/or is out of date it seems

Have you tried the Home-Work traffic feature? It seems nice from what I see in the manual... just wondering if it is any good.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I understand you don't like the system and appreciate you take the time. I have seen others that likes it (maybe because they are in EU, where there are more services to feed the device). I want to look at all aspects before choosing between this or a mountable device...

Maybe I could ask my dealer for a test drive... I didn't really look at it when I tried the GT since I wasn't considering that trim.

no problem at all, just trying to save others grief and headaches
if you have a standalone unit, i'd stick with that for the time being, see how it shakes out or if maybe a better company comes up with a module for it
i haven't tried that feature since i dont have a fixed 'work' location exactly
go try it out, have it try to find places to go by name and play around with trying to setup trips to specific pois

once it has the destination in, it works fairly well, the routes are good, and the instructions are fine, the visuals on the maps leave something to be desired, but its the getting to that point of having the route setup is the exercise in frustration

no problem at all, just trying to save others grief and headaches
if you have a standalone unit, i'd stick with that for the time being, see how it shakes out or if maybe a better company comes up with a module for it
i haven't tried that feature since i dont have a fixed 'work' location exactly
go try it out, have it try to find places to go by name and play around with trying to setup trips to specific pois

once it has the destination in, it works fairly well, the routes are good, and the instructions are fine, the visuals on the maps leave something to be desired, but its the getting to that point of having the route setup is the exercise in frustration

Ok, thanks for pointing out what you found as PROs, I should probably wait to see if there will be any aftermarket unit that will fit the CX-5 since it is a simple add on to do.

My poi search works better since I updated the application and used the latest map update. I enter everything through the keyboard. There is a set up option for verifying the poi choice and verifying the route to destination before it starts navigating. You have to be stopped to enter keyboard data!!! I have a garmin Nuvia so it took a little getting use to but it seems to do the job better now. My grandson loves the darth vader voice I downloaded...

I am happy with mine keep in mind that anything to works with voice, has a tendency to be hit an miss. Depending on accent, prononciation etc. I went from a Garmin to this TomTom and does find that it works. I have heard all sort of story saying in looks "cartoonish", don't refresh fast enough etc. For me it does what is suppose to do and we never forget it at home. With my Garmin, I never left it in the car so on occasion we left without it.

All around it is not the be all of all, but it works for a GPS. I really like the TomTom community updates!

My two cents!

Thanks for the comments, i am still not decided on what I will do with this... I decided to spend on the Cargo Mat and Net for the moment which are proving useful.

Back