First post, first mazda.

:
Former 2013 CX-5 GT owner
Just picked up a white gt with tech package on Saturday. Went car shopping and drove a sportage and then to drive a gs. Basically the only two vehicles I'd narrowed my search down to. But, they only had a gx, that they wouldn't sell because they were keeping it as a tester, and the white gt. They said they were selling out like crazy and it was at least a 3 week wait for anything. Well, needless to say I was awestruck by the cx-5 gt and tech pacckage since I took it home. Beautiful vehicle in all respects.

We will be taking the cx-5 on a 3 hour trip out of the city this coming weekend. How should I drive the vehicle during this trip since it is a 3 hour highway trip and I don't want to maintain a constant speed for too long? Is simply varying my speed between 90km/hr-110km/hr (speed limits here in Canada are 100 km/hr)frequently all I need to do, or is it more about running through the gears and I should pull over now and then and start from a stop?

I'm sure I will be here with more questions in the near future but just wanted chime in and join the club.

Thanks

Last edited:
I do remember reading in the literature I got with mine that you should allow for a break in period of 1000 KM before doing any towing, long drives where engine is constantly running at a one time speed. I can say that I have no clue why, I have no idea if changing the speed will help or just be the same.

I can only recommend one source to tell you 100% for sure what it will do, go to Mazda talk to the service desk and tell them what you are going to do. Ask what they think the risks are and why you need that break in period.

If you do please report back and let us know what they say why it needs this break in period and what will happen if you don't follow it!

You need to rev the engine to help the engine piston seals seat proper. Running at a constant rpm (highway speeds) will not allow them to do this. If the highway is stop and go bumper to bumper traffic you should be fine, but if its open country I'd avoid it and take a different car.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5261043_procedures-breaking-new-engine.html

Although mazda uses a breakin oil to help seat the piston rings and the 1st oil should not be changed until 5000 miles.

Per the Owner's Manual:

Break-In Period
No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of your Mazda.
Do not race the engine.
Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended
periods of time.
Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
Avoid full-throttle starts.

Last edited:
Welcome to mazdas247.com and congrats on the new CX-5.

Don't worry about the 3 hour trip in the CX-5, it will be easy enough to vary speed, avoid redline, avoid WOT to properly break-in your new Mazda.

Thanks for the replies. I am LOVING this cuv! Glad to be part of the team.

Well, my plan for the trip was to vary my speed occasionally (every 10 minutes or so) and give it a little gas here and there to get the compression up but not gunning it. Not even sure if I COULD leave it at home if I wanted to. We are going to a cabin for 4 days and need the space. My wifes mazda 3 won't cut it. I guess I'll just have to go with my plan of varying speed and acceleration every so often and hope for the best.

Back