Taking Delivery

AussieJosh

:
Mazda CX-5 GT Deisel
Alright, so the day has come, I'm taking delivery of my brand-spanking new CX-5 GT Deisel (Metro Grey)l this morning! I'm a little excited but have a couple of questions;

What should I check before signing off and driving into the sunset? - I've had nightmare problems with paint in the past! and am too aware of the way service levels fall away after you have done the deal..

Apart from the recommended running in procedures, what is your 'best practice' for the initial month?

BTW, to all in this forum - I have owned many a car and participated in many a forum - this is by far the most helpful and civilized going around, Thanks.

- pics and a personal review to follow.....

Congrats on the diesel. Jealous of that option you have.

I've always had good experiences with the dealers should there ever be an issue, especially during the warranty period. But I'd just look over the car real fast and assume its fine. They do a final inspection when they recieve it before they accept it too. They dont want you to have issues as much as you dont want issues.

Thanks nizzy1115

So I have done a good mix of highway/city driving now, here are my thoughts...

My last car was great to drive, had heaps of power but really lacked in the interior finish. The CX-5 is fun to drive and a really nice place to do it.

I was really worried about giving up drivability when going to a suv but after 400kms, I am super impressed with its torqy little engine and stiff but compliant suspension. The deisel is just so willing to go at such low revs and body roll is very minimal - even with spirited driving. The istop feature was easy to get my head around and manipulate with the brake pedal.

Inside, Mazda have done a nice job. It's cosy, feels refined and you really have to look hard to find where cost savings have been made. The Bose sound is good, although I would have liked the two low freq drivers in the front doors, swapped with the mid-range in the rear. The tomtom nav is easy to operate and does its job well, but looks a little low-rent. I also would of liked a couple more storage bins around the cabin and rear vents.

Good- Just about everything. It's so much fun to drive.

Ok- Vibrating hood (for me this has been minimal and overstated in this forum), storage bins, rear vents, nav.

Bad- drivers side mirror vibration, voice command.

In Australia, it's only real completion is a Tiguan. I was heading that way, but chose to test a CX-5 because of a 5-8 month wait on the VW. I am really happy I went for the CX-5 - as a complete package, it makes the Tiguan feel a generation behind.

Josh, you chose well.

The Tiguan is nice, but the diesel in it is average with good fuel economy. Where as the petrol is a performer without the fuel economy.
In comparison, the CX-5 diesel outperforms both VW engines and has better fuel economy than both.

The diesel is a bloody ripper!!! Try it out on the highway with overtaking and you'll be very pleased.

It's such a good engine, that from next year it will be racing at Daytona:
http://www.hybridcars.com/news/mazda-debut-skyactiv-diesel-engine-2013-grand-am-gx-series-46715.html

AussieJosh, eager to see yor car pictures. I have ordered the same colour, waiting for it early in july.

BTW, Hi all my first post, just registered now, but read you some time ago to help take the go to order the car, finally, I did.

Welcome!

I'll put them in the photo thread in the next couple of days - really happy with metro grey - I think its more blue than grey though - very deceiving in some online photos.

I too drove the Tiguan a while back, storage space in the back was simply too small. Ruled it out, wasnt that impressed with the diesel as well (turns out the turbo petrol Tiguan is the one to get!!).

As inodes says, you've made a good choice!

Taking delivery of CX5 GTD on 20 of June, stormy blue, sand leather. It took more than 3 months to make a decision among 3 SUVs ( top of the range ) Murano, Tiguan and CX5. We are very impressed and pleased with the power the CX5 delivers. Plus, there is a lot of advantage over Murano and Tiguan

I'm surprised you were comparing the cx5 to the murano. The rogue would be its direct competitor.

Taking delivery of CX5 GTD on 20 of June, stormy blue, sand leather. It took more than 3 months to make a decision among 3 SUVs ( top of the range ) Murano, Tiguan and CX5. We are very impressed and pleased with the power the CX5 delivers. Plus, there is a lot of advantage over Murano and Tiguan

check and double check your paint on the stormy blue. it scratches VERY easily. i had several scratches on mine when I took delivery but i didn't notice them until i got home. called the dealer and was told i should have pointed it out before delivery and that scratches in paint are a result of shipping and handling and there was nothing they could do.

Thanks for the tip, my last car was black metallic color and I know how hard to keep the paint glossy ans shiny. The stormy blue came to my choice as it is the only one in stock with sand leather interior. I hope I could not find scratches on my car.

check and double check your paint on the stormy blue. it scratches VERY easily. i had several scratches on mine when I took delivery but i didn't notice them until i got home. called the dealer and was told i should have pointed it out before delivery and that scratches in paint are a result of shipping and handling and there was nothing they could do.

That's not entirely true - it depends on when you noticed and how long you waited to tell them. I had some light scratching in the front bumper. I mentioned it to them the following day when I dropped off my second key for the trade in. They said that they'd take care of it when I took the car in for the 1000 mile check up. I didn't need them to as I used a non-abrasive polish to clean up the paint. Not handling it for you seems a little crappy, IMHO.

Darker Colored cars are hard cars to maintain - Don't take them out to the car wash if you can help it. Wash that sucker yourself using quality materials and equipment. Look into a good system to get the car to where it looks great and can be maintained "easy enough".

1. Wash
2. Clay & Wash(though some do not wash again)
3. Polish(Autoglym SRP or Klasse AOI are nice)
4. Seal(Klasse Sealant Glaze or Blackfire Wet Diamond)
5. Wax(a non-cleaner wax over the top... like Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, or go carnuba if that's your thing like Autoglym HD Wax)

You won't have to do this every time but a good base will make life much easier.

Back