GT Tech package + Remote engine start annoyance

udayse

So I took delivery of the vehicle yesterday. I am absolutely ecstatic about it. But one let down was the remote engine start. Does anyone know what the difference between the RSE (Remote engine start) for tech package and the RSE without the tech package?

My main complaint is that I have to carry both the Key fob and the remote starter (which is quite bulky) in my pocket. The RSE remote has no way to unlock the car. This is really odd. I just saw a living social package for $149 for a RSE that will unlock the doors too. I am actually pretty bummed out that I paid $550+ for carrying 2 different remotes.

This was why I didnt get the package on my wifes car (kia sorento) for push button start and proximity entry because she wanted remote start. Its the way all cars are that I know of. Got her the viper 2 way remote start for 350 installed at best buy. Range is up to a mile and it lets you know if it started and what the temp is inside the car. Factory remote starts are a waste of money :)

Last edited:
Man I wish I knew this. I am really bummed out... I could have gone with another dealer and gotten an even lower price.

This was why I didnt get the package on my wifes car (kia sorento) for push button start and proximity entry because she wanted remote start. Its the way all cars are that I know of. Got her the cobra 2 way remote start for 350 installed at best buy. Range is up to a mile and it lets you know if it started and what the temp is inside the car. Factory remote starts are a waste of money :)

really? that seems innordinately cheap, usually for newer cars (especially with immobilizers and security systems) intetrated aftermarket alarms are rather pricey from what i'd seen, like 500+ and you have to give up a key/fob or get a spare

No its the opposite. The installer said these new cars are a breeze. Only required a few bucks worth of extra parts where some other cars can have 100-150 extra be common.

I did not get an immobilizer/security system installed. I live in a nice area and who wants to steal a kia or mazda when there are audi's and bmw's and the like all around.

This is what we put in that car and im thinking about for mine as well. Its cool because you can use one fob for 2 cars.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+5...d=9999173000050029&st=remote start&lp=10&cp=1

For the cost of the oem one you can get this installed and it has a screen + security alarm.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+5...Id=9999173000050036&st=remote start&lp=9&cp=1

Last edited:
No its the opposite. The installer said these new cars are a breeze. Only required a few bucks worth of extra parts where some other cars can have 100-150 extra be common.

I did not get an immobilizer/security system installed. I live in a nice area and who wants to steal a kia or mazda when there are audi's and bmw's and the like all around.

This is what we put in that car and im thinking about for mine as well. Its cool because you can use one fob for 2 cars.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+5...d=9999173000050029&st=remote start&lp=10&cp=1

For the cost of the oem one you can get this installed and it has a screen + security alarm.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+5...Id=9999173000050036&st=remote start&lp=9&cp=1

no i meant that the cars have them from the factory, immobilizerII now i think, and with tech package on touring it has the proximity alarm security system

Did you get only one remote? Our remote start only came with one remote. Which seemed odd to me. I was thrown off by the extra unnecessary bulk as well, so it stays in the wife's purse! Probably only use it in the colder temps in the winter anyways

If anyone else is as disappointed about the Remote engine start as I am, please call mazda and let them know:
In north america: By Phone: 800-222-5500
A real person will answer, after you get through the menu. When I spoke to them, they told me I was the only one who complained about this so far. They said if enough people complain, they maybe able to do something about it.

They also mentioned that the CX-9 provides keyless entry and remote start in the same fob, but not on the cx-5

Wow, I can understand the dissappointment, RTV (return to vendor) might be appropriate.

The more common complaint from heavy users of remote starts often pertains to poor average gas mileage.

Latest posts

Back