Grand Touring vs Touring Ride

Anyone compared the way the CX5 feels on the 17" and 19" wheels? The shorter sidewall should make the imperfections in the road more noticeable, I'm just not sure by how much? My dealer has a GT setup the way I want it but I was waiting for a Touring to stay with the 17" wheels.

Very little difference, ride quality difference is insignificant. I've driven CX-5's w/17's and 19's on northern CA roads.

IMO only the GT w/ 19's would do when I was shopping, steering response and handling is excellent for a SUV. The 19's look much better on the CX-5, (making the CX-5 more closely resemble the design of original concept car), of course styling is subjective.

Having driven both many times I could not tell any difference. Now I did not drive the cars like a race course driver so I'm sure at that level there would be a difference. But I share the same opinion as CS-V, visually the 19" tires make the car seem very "conceptual" and high class. I got the GT because of the extra adjustment to the seat. Since I drive a lot the ability to tilt the seat back takes a lot of pressure off my lower back. The fact that the wheels were bigger was a welcomed perk. When I walk out to the car in a parking lot the car stands out in large part to the big wheels.

The 19's are well-engineered into CX-5 for good ride/handling balance. More than the usual amount of sidewall height for a large diameter wheel, spec'ed w/55 series large rolling diameter tires. So it's no surprise the ride is very good.

One of the magazine reports alluded to the fact that the 19" supplied vehicles rode harder but, not objectionably so. If I was concerned I would drive with both 17 & 19, but make positive the tires were set to the recommended pressure. The 19" will be more prone to tire & rim damage from pot-holes and curbs.

One of the magazine reports alluded to the fact that the 19" supplied vehicles rode harder but, not objectionably so. If I was concerned I would drive with both 17 & 19, but make positive the tires were set to the recommended pressure. The 19" will be more prone to tire & rim damage from pot-holes and curbs.

Yes, that's exactly why OP asked on this forum for feedback from people that have driven both versions of CX-5 w/17's and 19's.

And we (those that have driven both versions) have reported that the difference is insignificant and hardly a reason to choose one wheel versus another. Of course other reasons for selecting Sport/Touring/GT should be considered.

Last edited:
The reviews seem to echo what has been said here:

"Two wheel options are available, with 17-inchers on the base models and an optional 19-inch package. Tire width doesn’t change between the two at 225, although the 19s do use a lower profile. When driven hard the 19s show their advantages and we didn’t notice much drawback in terms of ride quality. Steering feel with the 19s was better too."

"We didn't sense a big difference between the 17- and 19-inch wheels. In theory, the taller sidewalls that come with 17-inch wheels should yield a more compliant ride while the 19-inch wheels with short-sidewall tires should offer sharper handling. Handling was responsive with the P225/65R17 Yokohama tires on 17-inch wheels, while the P225/55R19 Toyo tires on the 19-inch wheels felt no worse in terms of ride quality. "

"Top-grade CX-5s will have 19-inch alloy rims and a measure of how stiff the car's body is, is the lack of difference in terms of ride quality and grip when driving the entry-point GLX and GSX models' 17 inchers. "

I think driving both back to back is the next step as it was 50 miles and 6 hours difference between driving the two the first time. Good tip on bringing the tire gauge as they often have overfilled tires on the lots.

thanks for all the info.

I drove home a Grand Touring in white tonight!!!!!

cx5.jpg

I have to say I am very impressed. The ride quality and noise levels are quite good. It is a comfortable place to be and still enjoyable to drive. I commute 110 miles a day so quiet and comfortable are important and so is mpg. It has enough ground clearance to get as 'off road' as I'd ever want to get, tons of space. Well done Mazda!

I like the look of the 19's, but the 17's have much better tire choices. You could get a top of the line 17" tire for less than a crappy 19" tire. So there's that to consider too.

I like the look of the 19's, but the 17's have much better tire choices. You could get a top of the line 17" tire for less than a crappy 19" tire. So there's that to consider too.

True. But how often do we replace tires? maybe once or twice before we sell it?

That is the reality for a vast majority of actual ownership experiences.

Yes, people on the Internet claim they will keep car for 10 years, but in a few years they have an unplanned excuse to trade it.

The Protege5 had 141,000 miles when we sold it and my truck has 207,000. Both bought brand new and I tend to replace tires early at the first signs of traction in the rain decreasing. I think I went through 4 sets of tires on the P5 and I have no idea how many on the truck.
Plus the 19's have a treadwear rating of like 300 so they aren't destined to last too long. I'll be staying on top of the rotating the tires for sure.

On the plus side I do like the tires and the handling, I actually preferred the ride on the GT over the Touring

That is the reality for a vast majority of actual ownership experiences.

Yes, people on the Internet claim they will keep car for 10 years, but in a few years they have an unplanned excuse to trade it.

There are many that do that. I gave away a 13 year old car to Kars for Kids a few years ago. Presently I have three vehicles, 10, 9 and 5 years old. I am actively looking at the CX-5 to replace the 10 year old vehicle that has 91k on it. But I agree while not the norm there certainly are many people that do it. It helps do a lot of research and get a vehicle you're going to be satisfied with for a long time.

There are many that do that. I gave away a 13 year old car to Kars for Kids a few years ago. Presently I have three vehicles, 10, 9 and 5 years old. I am actively looking at the CX-5 to replace the 10 year old vehicle that has 91k on it. But I agree while not the norm there certainly are many people that do it. It helps do a lot of research and get a vehicle you're going to be satisfied with for a long time.

Certainly you are an excellent example of the minority that keeps cars for an above average number of years. Given the long term expectation for ownership (that is proven to be realistic for you), the CX-5 and CRV must be near the top of list.

Also, more on the topic of the 19" tires versus 17", we have noticed here a larger number of complaints about road noise related to 17" tires.

CX-SV;5968646 Yes said:
Actually,they really do. My family hauler (to be replaced by a GT in 13 weeks) is a 1999 Volvo S70 purchased new. It is riding on it's third set of Michelins now with the winters due for a replacement I will now not need to do. It is not unusual for me to keep a car for 9 or more years, and I really plan for a 10 year retention on the vehicles I buy.

Brian

Actually,they really do. My family hauler (to be replaced by a GT in 13 weeks) is a 1999 Volvo S70 purchased new. It is riding on it's third set of Michelins now with the winters due for a replacement I will now not need to do. It is not unusual for me to keep a car for 9 or more years, and I really plan for a 10 year retention on the vehicles I buy.

Brian

Yes, I know they really do. We have at least 2 people here that have kept cars for 10+ years. But a majority do not (despite intentions and later followed up with unplanned excuses), as I said earlier.

I myself sold a 2001 Jeep after nearly 10 years in family, 3 sets of tires during ownership. I might keep my 2007 Lexus that long, but I drive it less than 5K/yr.

Last edited:
Back