Trunk light fuse? Need help, not working

bushidoboy

:
CX-5 GT
Does anyone know which fuse the TRUNK LIGHT is. I checked the switch connection, I checked the "room" fuse and its ok. I believe I checked all the fuses in both the engine box and the one by the foot rest. I am really frustrated, seems simple to fix, or better yet, why does it not work? Did changing a bulb short out the socket? Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:
Did you not get an Owners Manual with your vehicle? The fuse locations and purpose is in there. Ed

Thanks for the reply but like I mentioned I checked the fuses, sorry I forgot to mention that I DID USE THE MANUAL (its very vague) for what each fuse does. None mention cargo light. Only close on is the R. OUTLET fuse but it's fine. ROOM fuse was fine too, TAIL fuse was fine. All my other electronics work fine, most times small items are tied into one circuit (eg. TAIL has the turn signals, brake lights together). Well just thought I'd see if anyone else has the same issue. I'm thinking changing a bulb shouldn't have been the issue...possibly faulty wiring from MAZDA? Next step I guess to just take the car in for service. Thanks

Look at the interior lighting topic, someone else replaced the trunk light with an led and it quit, they also could not find a fuse. Did you try the switch at the light in all positions, I think it has on, off and with door positions...

Last edited:
same thing happened to badapple, try disconnecting the light assembly entirely and plugging it back in, i believe thats what fixed it for him

count me in the same situation. I got a defective LED bulb that blew some fuse. I checked all the fuses in the engine and cabin compartments. none were blown. manual doesnt have cargo area nor any of the other inside lights listed.

badapple mentioned that he replaced a blown fuse, but didnt mention which one or its location.

Thanks for the lead...will try ask badapple for some input on how the problem was fixed. In a way, glad to hear that I'm not the only one...thought I was going crazy or something. If I figure it out I will post something. Been fiddling with it all weekend

I did take some of the panels off in the trunk compartment. The cargo light goes into a electric module shared with brake lights, reverse lights, some some others. All I can think of is that's where they might have decided to have the fuse there, but that would be quite unusual. I am more concerned what else might not be working due to the blown fuse then just not having a cargo light.

Update

So I took the vehicle to Mazda, come to find out a power control module was defective. The service department had to open a trouble ticket with Sky Active and my vehicle was downed for about a week till the new module came in. It was the first they heard of this and not sure what caused the issue. Luckily my local Mazda dealer was helpful and got me a Mazda 6 loaner (glad I didn't but that car now). All in all, I think I should have waited a few years to jump on this new model.

Seems like too much of a coincidence that the power control module went out all on its own right when you were putting a different type of bulb in that spot.

Anyone else came up with a different solution yet?

Anyone know where the fuses for any interior light area?

can't imagine there arent any fuses. Nothing else seems to be affected

I looked in the manual and it doesnt list fuse 56 under the hood. Many there are differences from different countries?

I took out every single fuse and all were fine...... are there two locations for fuses under the hood?

here are all the listed fuses under the hood:

DESCRIPTION FUSE RATING PROTECTED COMPONENT
18 WIPER 20 A Front window wiper and washer
19 HEATER 40 A Air conditioner
20 DCDC REG ― ―
21 ENGINE.IG1 7.5 A Engine control system
22 C/U IG1 15 A For protection of various circuits
H/L LOW L
HID L
15 A Headlight (LH)*1, Headlight low beam (LH)*2
24 H/L LOW R 15 A Headlight low beam (RH)*2
25 ENGINE3 15 A Engine control system
26 ENGINE2 15 A Engine control system
27 ENGINE1 15 A Engine control system
28 AT 15 A Transaxle control system
29 H/CLEAN ― ―
30 A/C 7.5 A Air conditioner
31 AT PUMP ― ―
32 STOP 10 A Brake lights
33 R.WIPER 15 A Rear window wiper
34 H/L HI 20 A Headlight main beam*2
35 HID R 15 A Headlight (RH)*1
36 FOG 15 A Fog lights
37 7.5 A Engine control system
38 AUDIO2 7.5 A Audio system
39 ― ― ―
40 METER2 ― ―
41 METER1 10 A Instrument cluster
42 SRS1 7.5 A Air bag
43 BOSE 25 A Bose Sound System-equipped model
44 AUDIO1 15 A Audio system
45 ABS/DSC S 30 A ABS, Dynamic stability control system
46 FUEL PUMP 15 A Fuel system
47 FUELWARM ― ―
48 TAIL 15 A Taillights, License plate lights
49 ― ― ―
50 HAZARD 25 A
Hazard warning flashers, Turn signal lights, Parking lights
(Front side-marker lights)
51 DRL 15 A Daytime running lights
52 R.OUTLET2 15 A Accessory sockets
53 HORN 15 A Horn
54 ROOM 15 A Overhead light

Took my CX-5 for oil change to the dealer and let them fix the trunk light.... after 3 days of diagnosing the issue... all they did so far is accuse me of tapping my speakers into the light / module... WTF are they talking about...
they have taken every plastic panel off in the rear!!!
some panels were they hanging off and not put back, there are plastic clips on the floor, and scuff marks (hope just dirt) all over the panels.....

After 3 days they didnt fix the issue and wanted me to just take the car back as is.

NO... refused to take it... told them to keep it and fix it.... and put back my car as it was. took a loaner car till its fixed.
last time I am taking my car to this mazda dealer.

I got a feeling they put some junior mechanic on this and hasnt been working with Mazda tech support.

There is a trunk light? As in a light that lights up the rear cargo area when the hatch is opened?

yes there is a trunk light on the left side of the trunk... barely lights up.. hence wanting an LED light in there...

yea... I purchased from this dealer, but going to do any servicing besides oil changes with someone else..... they got a tire replacement program that if I do my routine maintenance with them, my 1st tire replacement will be free ($200/tire credit toward any tire I choose)... only reason why I took it to them....

anyone else with this issue?

I seriously had no idea that there was one back there...I'm going to have to look at that for sure.

Back