New TomTom Nav Map Available

:
GA prior 16 CX5 GT
:
20 CX5 GT + Prem
If you have Nav, this quarters US/Can Nav Map level 890.4240 is available. My unit had 875.3844 which was three quarters old. You want your free map update before 60 days of use or you loose it. I used Internet Explorer to back up my SD card first. Download TomTom Home 2 and first update the application level which is quick and provides more menu setting options. The one time free current map update is under the Tools Menu and took about 90 minutes on high speed cable modem. After updating I was offered a year of future quarterly updates for $40. Following is copied from instructions TomTom Support sent me:

Make sure you login as an administrator of the system before you download TomTom HOME.

Before we proceed, it is recommend to disable firewall software installed on the computer. It might block downloading of files correctly, as it scans the incoming data. You can re-enable the firewall later on. If you are unsure about disabling and re-enabling the firewall, you can contact the local technician for better assistance, as they have the necessary expertise.

For more information on downloading and installing TomTom HOME, please click on the following link:
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5122

Now you will need to associate your device to your email account. Please perform the following steps to associate your new TomTom device to the account.

1. Connect your device to the computer and open HOME application.
2. Click on Log in option which can be found at the top right side corner of HOME.
3. Enter your existing e-mail address and the password.
4. From the next screen, please select the Link the new device to your TomTom account option, and then click on Ok.

After associating the device, please update device via TomTom HOME. When you update your TomTom through HOME you are able to download many different updates including, new applications, voices, QuickGPSfix, MapShare updates, and much more. Here is the link, which has the detailed information on how to update it: http://www.tomtom.com/6218

TomTom provides you with the latest map pre-installed on your new device. It may happen that new maps are released in the meantime. If a newer map is available within 30 days from when you purchase the device, you are entitled to one free map download using the Latest Map Guarantee (LMG) feature.

Let me inform you that the latest map version is v 8.90. You can check if the device has the latest map on it using the steps listed in the following link.

http://www.tomtom.com/6166

If the device does not have the latest map on it, you can try using the LMG feature to update the map. To use the LMG feature, Here are the steps:

1. Connect your device to your computer and switch it on. When asked if you want to connect to computer, tap YES.
2. Start TomTom HOME application (not the homepage) on your computer.
3. Select Tools option in the File menu and click on Use Latest Map Guarantee.
4. If the LMG feature has not expired, you will be given an option to update to the latest map.
5. Select the map and click on Done to download the map.

For a pictorial representation, I am providing you with the link, which will assist you to download and install the latest map.

http://www.tomtom.com/7954

Thanks for the info GAXIBM! I updated mine as soon as I saw your post.

Thanks! Done all the firmware updates. Now waiting on the maps to download. 50 minutes! I'll be back if there are any problems. Lol

The new Nav map for NA is available for download version 9.00 if you are waiting for your free one time update. You can now buy a yearly update service for $10 with a new map version each quarter... Instructions are at top of thread.

Not sure if I'm blind or something, but where do I remove the sd card from the nav unit for update?

Is the only way to download a LMG map database is via the Tools menu?
I went into the update screen (not Tools menu) and selected the app update, saftey cameras, QuickGPSFix, and map share. Then I clicked Update and install. #8 in the install list was "One time update"

How can I make sure I am not getting the LMG one-time update?
Also, I was told I have 60 days to install the free map update. How to verify?

P.S. They are now charging $80 USD for 12 months of updates!!!

Last edited:
Is the only way to download a LMG map database is via the Tools menu?
a:It was when I did it but it may have changed.
I went into the update screen (not Tools menu) and selected the app update, saftey cameras, QuickGPSFix, and map share. Then I clicked Update and install. #8 in the install list was "One time update"

How can I make sure I am not getting the LMG one-time update?
a: I think if you deselect the item it will not try to update it.
Also, I was told I have 60 days to install the free map update. How to verify?
a:I have seen it in writting on the TomTom site but don't remember where.

P.S. They are now charging $80 USD for 12 months of updates!!!
a:I think when your map is current, after the update, they will offer you the update service for half price.

The "one-time" update is not selectable. It appears on the list of things being updated *after* you select what to update. It is not on the update list and cannot be removed.

BTW, when I updated, TomTom Home would not recognize the update took until I placed the card back into the CX-5 unit. Of course, the update instructions TomTom Home offers don't state that! So, you have to put it back into the unit before checking for more updates.

I am also waiting for the Q1 2013 update.
Kind of off topic... but I feel like being ripped off, after paying more than $700 for the unit, Tom Tom does not even offer life time map update. Now I am only paying one update a year or two if I am not driving out of town.

Did TomTom update the ability to input addresses or POI's while driving with this update?

I am also waiting for the Q1 2013 update.
Kind of off topic... but I feel like being ripped off, after paying more than $700 for the unit, Tom Tom does not even offer life time map update. Now I am only paying one update a year or two if I am not driving out of town.

This is why I have yet to add it. My $170 portable unit has lifetime updates and real time traffic, but they can't offer these on a $500 unit.

The TomTom website indicates map version 905 has been released but the TomTom Home download is still 900. I contacted TomTom support and got this reply:
"I have received an update from the escalation team and they have informed that USA, Canada, Mexico maps will stay on version 9.00 temporarily till the new maps for these areas will be released in 3/4 weeks. We regret for the inconvenience caused."
I have signed up for a year of map update service and was advised to wait until they sent me an email to update to 905...

Please post as soon as they notify you. Does year of map update service guarantee 4 consecutive quarterly updates or updates for 12 months from when you signed up?

I wonder what this means for LMG the the "LM" is not made available.

Back