cx9 power tailgate issues

cbtoday

:
2012 cx9
Hi, I am a new owner of 2012 cx9 grand touring with a power tailgate. However I have an issue that sometimes when I push the button on my key to open the tailgate it doesn't, I need to push the button at the tailgate several times and tried pushing button couple of times to make it open, am I doing something wrong? There are 3 way to open, the button inside the car, one at the tailgate and one on my key, are they different?
ANother question, when I close the tailgate, if my hand is there, the tailgate is still closing, it won't detect anything and stop closing, is it supposed to be like that?? If so, this is too dangerous! Pilot has the detection thing and wont close if your hand is there or some kid is there.
Please advise.

The rear doors MUST be unlocked first before the keys hatch button will work. Press open 2x then the hatch button.

The CX-9 senses resistance in the servo motor I believe. Try to stop it with your hand and it should stop. This may not work at the very bottom - be careful!

If it does not, that COULD be a safety issue for hands in there, for sure. I'm not going to test it,.. ;-)

HOLOHOLO answered well. Allow me to supplement a few details.
The power-liftgate button (no matter which one of two - on remote or inside carbin) does NOT
unlock the hatch. Unlocking must happen BEFORE power-liftgate can open. The Power Liftgate
Open button should do the unlocking (I think most owners would agree to this), but it DOES NOT.
It is a shame, but it is what it is. Please unlock first.
Furthermore, to unlock hatch, you need to press unlock button twice (first for the driver's door,
second one for the rest.) Let us say that you come back to your vehicle from shopping. You
have lots of stuff to access the cargo area, you need to push the unlock button twice, and power-liftgate
button once in order to utilize the power-lifting feature. It is stupid, but it is what it is.

Secondly, I don't know what you meant by "Pilot has the detecting thing" (please explain if you could), what CX9 has are
1) motor torque sensing: if the motor encounters resistance (says you push the liftgate upwards when it is closing),
The liftgate will reverse itself. I must agree that the torque required to reverse it is not very small. Your hands or fingers might be
already pinched with bruises before it reverses itself. This is more of "self-protecting for the motor" than "anti-pinching".
2) on both side of the liftgate, you will find a sensor strip. When it detects pressure, the liftgate also reverses itself.
This is to avoid "scissor-like" clipping on both sides, where the torque needed to reverse the liftgate increases
dramatically due to shorter distance for the force. Therefore, sensor strips are there to compensate it.

In either case, they are not very sensitive (like those on elevators). Try to avoid pinching by all means.

Last edited:
Wifes 2011 Chevy Equinox hatch opens on one push of the rear hatch button on the key fob. With arms full the hatch can be opened from a distance and is fully up on arrival.

Mazda does not get it with the so called Smartkey.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, not too sensitive, eh?

I wonder if, say, a small yappy poodle would set it off? (whistle)

Nope... It didn't! Oh well,..

The trunk did close and screw all the way down with a slight jam (let's call her "Mandy") but beeped and popped open again after a couple yelps.

Can anyone tell me exactly where the sensor strips are? Cuz THAT'S where I want to get my hand stuck. ;-)
Hmmmm, not too sensitive, eh?

I wonder if, say, a small yappy poodle would set it off? (whistle)

Nope... It didn't! Oh well,..

The trunk did close and screw all the way down with a slight jam (let's call her "Mandy") but beeped and popped open again after a couple yelps.

Can anyone tell me exactly where the sensor strips are? Cuz THAT'S where I want to get my hand stuck. ;-)

It took me a while to figure out where the sensor strips are located. The sensor strips are located at the edges of the liftgate. The very outer strips of rubber on either sides of the window. if you give then a quick squeeze with your fingers while the liftgate is closing, it will beep and reverse direction.

Wifes 2011 Chevy Equinox hatch opens on one push of the rear hatch button on the key fob. With arms full the hatch can be opened from a distance and is fully up on arrival.

Mazda does not get it with the so called Smartkey.

I had a Lexus RX350 loaner vehicle, and the power liftgate worked the same as Mazda--unlock 1st, then hit the open button. If you accidentally hit the door open button with the remote in your pocket, do you want to come back to the car with the hatch open. Search around here or in ClubLexus.com, and you will find more than one person who had that issue with the express down windows when the unlock button was accidentally held down...

I like the solution of Ford's new Escape.
You waive you leg beneath the rear bumper and the tail gate opens....
It is an era of gesture interface....
Very soon, you can waive at your car and the car will unlock itself and open the door for you.... nice!

I like the solution of Ford's new Escape.
You waive you leg beneath the rear bumper and the tail gate opens....
It is an era of gesture interface....
Very soon, you can waive at your car and the car will unlock itself and open the door for you.... nice!

...if it doesn't spontaneously catch fire first...

If they added that seeing-eye switch, my neighbors cat would be opening and closing the tailgate all night.

My 07 power liftgate raises halfway up before it stops with the 3 beeps. Once raised it will not attempt to lower the liftgate sounding an immediate 3 beeps.

The motor seems to work smoothly. We removed the motor and it appears to be running fine. We found a circular magnet that spins and a transitor. We are trying to determine how the torque sensing fail safe operates. Does it counts revolutions or sense revolution speed?

Thanks for any help.

HOLOHOLO answered well. Allow me to supplement a few details.
The power-liftgate button (no matter which one of two - on remote or inside carbin) does NOT
unlock the hatch. Unlocking must happen BEFORE power-liftgate can open. The Power Liftgate
Open button should do the unlocking (I think most owners would agree to this), but it DOES NOT.
It is a shame, but it is what it is. Please unlock first.
Furthermore, to unlock hatch, you need to press unlock button twice (first for the driver's door,
second one for the rest.) Let us say that you come back to your vehicle from shopping. You
have lots of stuff to access the cargo area, you need to push the unlock button twice, and power-liftgate
button once in order to utilize the power-lifting feature. It is stupid, but it is what it is.

Secondly, I don't know what you meant by "Pilot has the detecting thing" (please explain if you could), what CX9 has are
1) motor torque sensing: if the motor encounters resistance (says you push the liftgate upwards when it is closing),
The liftgate will reverse itself. I must agree that the torque required to reverse it is not very small. Your hands or fingers might be
already pinched with bruises before it reverses itself. This is more of "self-protecting for the motor" than "anti-pinching".
2) on both side of the liftgate, you will find a sensor strip. When it detects pressure, the liftgate also reverses itself.
This is to avoid "scissor-like" clipping on both sides, where the torque needed to reverse the liftgate increases
dramatically due to shorter distance for the force. Therefore, sensor strips are there to compensate it.

In either case, they are not very sensitive (like those on elevators). Try to avoid pinching by all means.

Back