PDA

View Full Version : Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

Pages : [1] 2

joeatmazda5
05-15-2012, 09:00 PM
I have the AWD Touring with MoonRoof; and fortunate that I have only one minor complaint so far and that's the front head rests. A little uncomfortable.

inodes
05-15-2012, 09:27 PM
I have the AWD Touring with MoonRoof; and fortunate that I have only one minor complaint so far and that's the front head rests. A little uncomfortable.

I agree. A lot of reviews have said the same: angled too far forward.

I'm getting used to them though.

drsw
05-15-2012, 10:42 PM
You know the head rests lift right off and can be put back on backwards, in seconds. My only tiny problem was that one of the small plastic covers set into the rear bumper (covers the tow connection) disappeared. The dealership replaced it. It also snapped in in seconds.

jkiddtx
05-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Rear door/window wind noise sounds like a window is always down. Dealer says this is normal and offers no fix?? Seems that its a door seal issue where it bends down to go around the door but they are offering no fix. Also no real rear cup holders on the sport :). Other than those I love it. I will fix the door seal issue, but I should not have to fix it on my own.

nizzy1115
05-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Rear door/window wind noise sounds like a window is always down. Dealer says this is normal and offers no fix?? Seems that its a door seal issue where it bends down to go around the door but they are offering no fix. Also no real rear cup holders on the sport :). Other than those I love it. I will fix the door seal issue, but I should not have to fix it on my own.

Really? I know someone who is in the door seal business (aftermarket/replacement) and he saw the cx5s seals and complimented on the quality of them.

joepro
05-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I hate rattles with a passion and for a few weeks, there was a major one in the CX-5 and it drove me nuts. I eventually found out what caused it and was able to fix it, but it comes back every now and then. The black cover to one of the windshield sensors (headlights/wipers) clips into the roof liner, but it unclips very easily and rattles like crazy.

The BSM doesn't work all that well. It lights up at most intersections when turning, or on the highway, when driving beside a guardrail.

I also can't stand the rust on the rear rotors because the brake pads don't cover the whole rotor.

When using cruise control going up a steep hill, I've had the transmission slam into a lower gear so hard I thought the car was gonna break in half. Ok, I'm exaggerating a little bit, but it was still pretty loud and could feel it throughout the car.

The paint is really cheap. After coming back home from a 2000km trip, I noticed lots of chips on the hood and the plastic trim above the mazda logo.

The hood is so thin that it sometimes shakes when stopped at a light or speeding on the highway. It freaks me out every time I wash the car. What will happen this winter when it starts snowing?

BUT, I love everything else about the car!!!!!!

nizzy1115
05-16-2012, 03:35 PM
The paint is really cheap. After coming back home from a 2000km trip, I noticed lots of chips on the hood and the plastic trim above the mazda logo.

The hood is so thin that it sometimes shakes when stopped at a light or speeding on the highway. It freaks me out everytime I wash the car. What will happen this winter when it starts snowing?

Both of these are skyactive "features". Same with the cheap thin carpet mats. (boom01)

CX-SV
05-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Haven't noticed headrest issue (although they are very close to head, for a reason), I'm glad the headrest is designed for reducing chance of neck injury.

I did notice the downshifting while on cruise control, but I expected it when I set it for 78 mph in rolling terrain.

Haven't noticed hood shaking, wonder if some hoods need adjustment to seat properly. I assume the hood is aluminum, most modern cars are today.

Rusty rotors are common on almost all cars and it's harmless. Motorcycles have stainless rotors which look cool (a critical styling requirement on a motorcycle where entire brake is exposed) but the material is actually less effective as a rotor material.

I have experienced the false BSM alerts, not surprised when it occurs because of guard rails, etc.

I noticed the sunroof is not one-touch closing, most likely this a cost-cutting measure to not have the safety feature to detect fingers, etc. when closing. I prefer one-touch closing like my other cars have.

No rear AC vents on back of console, like all premium cars have. But at the CX-5 price point, maybe it's less common.

Dead pedal needs cover/mat/platform.

jkiddtx
05-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Really? I know someone who is in the door seal business (aftermarket/replacement) and he saw the cx5s seals and complimented on the quality of them.

I did not say I believe them. The seals for the most part are good. In this one section it appears as though the bend was thought about and there is a slit to allow something to be inserted to force it to "puff" more to seal, but my service department is a bunch of lazy liars. When they told me they test drove others to compare, I walked the lot to find the "others" only to find that the CX-5s have been sold off the lot for more than a week. I am not frustrated at Mazda, the car is well thought out and put together for the most part. Its just I found out the dealer I bought from has a lazy service department .

cmceleste
05-16-2012, 08:24 PM
-Options for 6mt sport model. Wanted a sunroof and 40/20/40 seats. Power seats would be nice too.

-With both windows down in the back there is a horrible imbalance in equilibrium in sound. It kills my ears. Im sure the sunroof would equalize it.

-No cover on the dead pedal, the carpet will get ruined.

cynthiamarie
05-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Came out of work tonight, got in my new CX5, pushed the "engine start button" and nothing. It just wouldn't start. Everything on the dash lit up but it just wouldn't start. Called Mazda Roadside Assistance, they were great. Immediately called my dealership and they will be running a diagnostic on it first thing in the morning to see if they can figure out why it wouldn't start. CAA gave it a boost and said it may/may not have been the battery. They also said it's common for all new vehicles (mine is 2 months old) to not start at least once in the beginning as the batteries have never really been fully recharged?? Anyone hear of this?? Anyways, more to follow on this. Have to admit, it was frustrating but both roadside assistance (by Mazda) and the dealership provided excellent service.

smithsm1984
05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Minor vibration of side mirrors. Not a big deal - you get use to it.

Rolling down just the rear windows all of the way makes a lot of noise. Happens when ONLY the rear windows are rolled all the way down.

The little caps in the rear bumper came off in the automatic car wash.

With manual, there's not enough power in sixth gear to maintain 60 MPH+ speed on highway mountain passes. Gotta downshift!

That's all I can think of.

nizzy1115
05-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Does anyone have a vibration in their driver side door by the door handle? Mine is starting to bug me.

kampfire
05-17-2012, 03:44 PM
I agree with driver mirror vibration. The passenger mirror does not. I've also noticed the hood vibration at speed. It sure doesnt feel like aluminum cause that hood feels heavy. Also when you close it, it doesnt give thud but more a rattle close.

V8toilet
05-17-2012, 08:38 PM
I have something rattling under my drivers side door. Haven't figured it out yet and don't want to send it to the dealer for fear that the mechanic will tear it apart and break some of the clips and lose some of the screws. I don't trust them with my brand new car!

I also noticed the thin hood (looks like 22 gauge metal).

The seat fabric seems a little low rent and the fit and finish could be a little better but its forgivable I guess since I only paid 22,600 out the door.

Went out one morning and the battery was completely dead. Not sure what happened but it could have been my fault because I may have accidentally pushed the start button thus turning on the ignition and leaving it that way.

Just an FYI but the government mandates that the head rests be angled that way to prevent whiplash.

Many more likes that dislikes, which means Mazda did a good overall job.

Antonio DiMarco
05-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I for one appreciate the headreast design. I don't have a CX-5, but have driven one, also my 6 and CX-9 have the same sort of angled headrests. At 6'2" it is very comfortable with none of the discomfort some have mentioned. As others have said this is an anti-whiplash design, so those of you who say "just reverse it" are putting your neck and life in danger in the event of a rear end collision.

PJO
05-17-2012, 09:17 PM
I've only had mine a few days but haven't really found anything that really bothers me. I had a CX-7 GT before and miss the memory presets for the drivers seat but other than that not much! Really loving it.

iverson589
05-18-2012, 09:00 AM
driver-side door controls...can't see them in the dark because only the power windows (i think) have backlights...

Drumfreak
05-18-2012, 10:13 AM
My only complaint is that I don't have one. How is the interior space? Could 2 adults, 2 little ones, and 1 dog cruise up to the cabin for the weekend comfortably?

nizzy1115
05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
My only complaint is that I don't have one. How is the interior space? Could 2 adults, 2 little ones, and 1 dog cruise up to the cabin for the weekend comfortably?

Most defiantly. 4 adults could. There is ample rear leg room. 5 adults can fit in a pinch but 4 comfortably. My coworkers are all between 6'2" and 6'8" and can fit 4 of us no issue! Rear space was actually one of my main reasons for getting the cx5. Oh and head room is excellent too in the back.

katmar
05-18-2012, 12:39 PM
My coworkers are all between 6'2" and 6'8" and can fit 4 of us no issue!

Does it still accelerate acceptably with four people?

CX-SV
05-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I for one appreciate the headreast design. I don't have a CX-5, but have driven one, also my 6 and CX-9 have the same sort of angled headrests. At 6'2" it is very comfortable with none of the discomfort some have mentioned. As others have said this is an anti-whiplash design, so those of you who say "just reverse it" are putting your neck and life in danger in the event of a rear end collision.

Agreed, 100%. I will not be modifying any headrests (or seatbelts or airbags) on my CX-5. I am 5'9", no prob. My hair occassionaly brushes the headrest, no prob. I'm wondering if drivers that use a more upright driving position are more likely to be bothered, just a guess?...

nizzy1115
05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Does it still accelerate acceptably with four people?

Yes, you wont be winning races but it can without a doubt keep up with traffic/out accelerate the normal pace without issue or the feel of straining the car.

V8toilet
05-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Yes, you wont be winning races but it can without a doubt keep up with traffic/out accelerate the normal pace without issue or the feel of straining the car.

I agree!

thegrapeguy
05-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Well it's simple to me:
1. Front hood vibrates - redesign
2. Left mirror - vibrates - redesign
3. Center speaker on dash for Bose system - get rid of - ruins stereo mix that engineers and producers spend days working on
4. "Ridged" molding on power window/power lock area - looks cheap - "cartoonish"
5. Red thread on black leather seats - get rid of - looks like they were trying to be stylish but came out looking like a Nike sneaker
6. Navigation - cheap compared to others - looks like it's under a magnifying glass - open it up and show some real "map"
7. Front grill screen - the only weak link in the body style - cheap plastic crap - do something clever with chrome metal and make a statement
8. Wheel wells on back tires - what's with the felt wheel well while the front is pure plastic - mine's already getting grass, straw and bug pieces clinging on...

Other than that it's a hit!

inodes
05-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Can confirm not an issue at all. I think you'll find there is wind noise around the wing mirrors, but seals are all perfect for me.

inodes
05-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Well it's simple to me:
1. Front hood vibrates - redesign
2. Left mirror - vibrates - redesign
3. Center speaker on dash for Bose system - get rid of - ruins stereo mix that engineers and producers spend days working on
4. "Ridged" molding on power window/power lock area - looks cheap - "cartoonish"
5. Red thread on black leather seats - get rid of - looks like they were trying to be stylish but came out looking like a Nike sneaker
6. Navigation - cheap compared to others - looks like it's under a magnifying glass - open it up and show some real "map"
7. Front grill screen - the only weak link in the body style - cheap plastic crap - do something clever with chrome metal and make a statement
8. Wheel wells on back tires - what's with the felt wheel well while the front is pure plastic - mine's already getting grass, straw and bug pieces clinging on...

Agree with you in many respects... but

3. Blame Bose. Their engineers did the speaker setup. They've also done the middle speaker in a lot of other brands including Audi.
5. Pretty typical in a lof of vehicles. Very Golf GTI like.
6. Hands down, Tom Tom is best GPS unit. The screen resolution is terrible, but it does the job better than nearly any other in car system on the market (possibly topped by VW)
8. I fixed the issue.... 3M Scotchguard. The wheel wells remain spotless and clean easily now. The felt by the way is due to each part being analysed for weight. They dumped it to save kilos. It's the reason the CX-5 is the weight of two people less that similar competitors and the reason the performance and fuel economy is class leading. Scotchguard it and you won't have issues.

Game Rogue
05-19-2012, 10:37 AM

That is exactly what popped into my head when I saw the CX-5 seats at the dealership; though not a dealbreaker if I eventually get one.

CX-SV
05-19-2012, 01:01 PM
That is exactly what popped into my head when I saw the CX-5 seats at the dealership; though not a dealbreaker if I eventually get one.

I actually like the stitching on leather in CX-5, a plus when I saw it.

I like Nike products too, all my tennis gear is logo-matched (Nike shoes, socks, shirt, shorts, bag).

CX-5 Driver
05-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Minor vibration of side mirrors. Not a big deal - you get use to it.
Many people in Germany noticed that issue as well. The higher the speed, the more noticeable it gets. At speeds of 100 mph and above it's very obvious in both mirrors (the hood is vibrating as well). At speeds over 110 mph you might even have difficulties to see objects clearly in the mirrors as of the strong vibration.
Mazda seems to be aware of that problem as the dealerships here told customers they are working on a solution (the mounting of the mirrors will be reinforced/replaced).

However, having no speed limit on many highways here, this problem seems to be most obvious to german customers.

thegrapeguy
05-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Yeh you're right I should blame BOSE for the speaker design. That company is perceived as the quintessential sound company but to musicians they are the Target of sound - organized, neat, articulate but "soulless". However Mazda picked them so they're to blame a bit too...

Thanks for the Scotchguard tip... If they save weight in back with the wheel wells why not the front?

Yeh maybe it's the resolution on TomTom that is the cheap thing about it. I'm not saying it's not top notch as far as getting me somewhere. But seems the maps are 2nd rate. Maps on my Honda Odyssey were very "lifelike"...

I knew red stitching would be controversial but if it were black would anybody even care to mention it? If it were yellow or blue people would probably hate it...

JordanLindsay
05-20-2012, 02:59 AM
no complaints, check out the review http://youtu.be/McdTls45LYQ

thegrapeguy
05-20-2012, 08:54 AM
What version did you test Jordan? Gas or diesel? You mentioned it having "pep" so I'm assuming diesel...

inodes
05-20-2012, 09:58 AM
However, having no speed limit on many highways here, this problem seems to be most obvious to german customers.

Germans have the highest speed limits in the first world. Australia did have roads with no limits (I've travelled well over 250km/h (155mph) legally in Australia before). I have been on the autobahnsl they are brilliant when there is no traffic (unfortunately been caught up in too many autobahn traffic jams for my own good).

The highest speed on our roads now is 130km/h (81mph). Travelling at these speeds I clearly see the vibration, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Mazda should have picked this up in their high speed bowl. They test high speeds, although the Japanese don't drive very fast in real life.
Their highways are max 80km/h (50mph) - which feels like walking once you've done 500km straight at 120km/h.

I hate driving on the highways in Japan. The drivers are clinical and slow to the letter of the law. You pay massive tolls for the privilege.
Driving in Japan versus driving in Germany.... I'd take Germany any day. In Japan I just simply jump on the Shinkansen (bullet train) instead.

inodes
05-20-2012, 09:58 AM
What version did you test Jordan? Gas or diesel? You mentioned it having "pep" so I'm assuming diesel...

Jordan is in Abbotsford, BC (which is a short stroll from Vancouver proper). They don't sell the diesel in Canada.

Some nice roads around there. I've done a bit of driving between Vancouver along to Kelowna and down to Penticton. Gorgeous country. Great roads through BC. Drove around there in a hybrid Camry. Ironically, getting similar fuel economy now in a much large diesel CX-5 :)

badself
05-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Vibrating mirror glass is a common Mazda trait. My 2008 CX-9 had the same issue on the driver's side, not so much on the passenger side. Even after fighting for a new mirror and having two wait two months (it was on national back-order), the replacement was no better, and actually worse.

rianoel
05-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I hate the headrests. At 5'3" they slam right into the back of my head. I actually have to hold my head very far forward if I want to have my back against the seatback at all. And forget having any hairstyle but straight. Ironically, I have a ruptured disc in my neck, and the position the headrests force me into is one that causes instant neck pain. They will be reversed for sure...the whiplash thing is a concern, but having a neckache from driving the car is ridiculous. I found that almost all the cars we test-drove were like this, especially if I had my hair styled in a ponytail, bun, hairclips, etc. It doesn't seem to bother my husband a bit, but he is 5'8" and slouches a bit when he drives.

So far we have no problems with vibrations in the hood or rearview mirrors---I'd read up on this topic here, so when we test drove the car we were checking for it. :)

inodes
05-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Yeh you're right I should blame BOSE for the speaker design. That company is perceived as the quintessential sound company but to musicians they are the Target of sound - organized, neat, articulate but "soulless". However Mazda picked them so they're to blame a bit too...

Thanks for the Scotchguard tip... If they save weight in back with the wheel wells why not the front?

Yeh maybe it's the resolution on TomTom that is the cheap thing about it. I'm not saying it's not top notch as far as getting me somewhere. But seems the maps are 2nd rate. Maps on my Honda Odyssey were very "lifelike"...

I knew red stitching would be controversial but if it were black would anybody even care to mention it? If it were yellow or blue people would probably hate it...

The Scotchguard works wondered.
Why not the front? Not quite sure. It might have something to do with suspension travel. But only a Mazda engineer would really know. That said, I could possibly find out. Have some mates back in Japan who are not only in the industry, but they are Mazda freaks and in the know.

Many years back I went through portable GPS units like they were going out of fashion. I ended up returning my TomTom on the basis that the maps were not clear and cartoony. I purchased an extremely clear Mio that still betters even current TomTom units for clarity.

But it's Sydney that sorts out the men from the boys. You see, it's one of the poorest designed cities I've ever been to. I reckon the English just came here and made a mess because they didn't care.

But bottom line, the complexity of this city screws up GPS systems. Nearly all of them fail miserably. The Mio failed miserably despite it's very pretty maps.
A pretty map doesn't get you places though.

The TomTom logic isn't perfect, but it's the closest thing to perfect in a completely disorganised city.

I've driven around New York, New Jersey and areas like Long Island. I haven't driven upstate, but comparing Sydney+Surrounds vs NY/NJ and surrounds. New York is far more dense, but Sydney is far less logical. But the TomTom and its crappy graphics are best suited to getting you out of the tough spots.

Getting back to systems.... I've used the GPS on the Honda Odyssey and Accord Euro (which is an Acura in US). The maps are clear, lifelike. I give it thumbs up for that.
But the system didn't take longer than 30 minutes to fail the navigation of Sydney.

So lifelike + fail navigation versus poor resolution + rarely fails navigation - I take logic over beauty any day.
(Disclaimer: The Honda and TomTom system use identical maps in Australia - so the logic is how the software interprets the map - and TomTom has far more experience than Honda, which is why the logic is extremely well developed)

To top that off as well, time the input times for each of the GPS systems.
After map logic comes input time. I have personally found the TomTom system to be easier to input into. But that could be just me rather than TomTom versus Honda.

CX5GT
05-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Picked up my Grey CX-5 GT with Tech Package on Friday. Drove it straight from the dealer to the lake! Loving every minute so far but I did notice a few glitches. NAV system froze right up, had to cycle power to get it to go again, hood/mirror vibration is same for me, tire monitoring system came on but all pressures were equal, and last but not least my speedometer was fine heading to the lake but on the way home it was out by about 2.5kms. Eg 120km on speedometer was reading 122-123 on NAV system and an iPhone app. Not sure what can cause a speedo to of out of cal, really weird tho. Still can't wait to drive it work in the morning! :)

inodes
05-22-2012, 03:56 AM
last but not least my speedometer was fine heading to the lake but on the way home it was out by about 2.5kms. Eg 120km on speedometer was reading 122-123 on NAV system and an iPhone app. Not sure what can cause a speedo to of out of cal

The speedo and GPS will always bee different if every model of vehicle.

The speed by law has to be a small percentage *below* the actual speed. Typically this could be anywhere between 95% and 99% of the actual speed.
Presently GPS is very accurate for civilian use. The speed indicated on the GPS in clear view of the sky, and without interference has a confidence level of 95% to be within 2 metres of accurate. So 112 on your GPS is most likely to be 112 in actuality.

No issue with your speed. It is completely *normal* and completely *legal*.

Just for the record, President Clinton is responsible for bringing accuracy back to the GPS signal to civilians (and hence the world). Prior to then, intentional errors were added to the civilian band. This was in part to ensure that GPS units couldn't be used to allow extremists to launch and control rockets using the device. To get around that the civilian band has a speed restriction which causes it to lose signal at the speeds that would be reached by launching rockets.

Sources:
http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/histogram.png
http://support.radioshack.com/support_tutorials/gps/gps_SA.htm

AussieJosh
05-22-2012, 04:24 AM

The speed by law has to be a small percentage *below* the actual speed. Typically this could be anywhere between 95% and 99% of the actual speed.
Presently GPS is very accurate for civilian use. The speed indicated on the GPS in clear view of the sky, and without interference has a confidence level of 95% to be within 2 metres of accurate. So 112 on your GPS is most likely to be 112 in actuality.

Just for the record, President Clinton is responsible for bringing accuracy back to the GPS signal to civilians (and hence the world). Prior to then, intentional errors were added to the civilian band. This was in part to ensure that GPS units couldn't be used to allow extremists to launch and control rockets using the device. To get around that the civilian band has a speed restriction which causes it to lose signal at the speeds that would be reached by launching rockets.

Sources:

Good info inodes, very interesting about the civilian gps band - never heard that before.

inodes
05-22-2012, 04:31 AM
Good info inodes, very interesting about the civilian gps band - never heard that before.

I am a wealth of completely useless information :)

jtsimaras
05-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Picked Up white GT last Monday it is covered in Rust from train transport--in addition Roof is scratched pretty bad---so far not impressed with the dealer we bought the car from--otherwise we like the CX5.

armydrum3
05-22-2012, 08:30 PM
In my CX-5, the rearview mirror is slightly warped, like a rolling warp from left to right but it's only noticeable when I look in the mirror and then move my head. It's a cheap mirror, and I plan to upgrade to the nicer one anyway.

Another complaint of mine has been mentioned already, that the driver's side door controls aren't backlit, something I found frustrating the first night I had the vehicle. I can live with it once I get used to the control positions.

Also, I don't like that the driver's seat doesn't have a front-side tilt control like the back does (not talking about the reclining feature, but the entire seat tilting). Even in the GT model, the driver's seat isn't a real 8-way control; the 7/8 controls adjust the lumbar section. Many other makes have both front and rear tilts, and my guess is it was excluded to save money, weight, or both.

Overall, though, these are minor issues that would never have stopped me from buying the CX-5.

FirstMazda13CX5
05-22-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm very unhappy about the wind buffeting with the rear windows down. It's beyond loud, it's actually painful, pounding ear drums. Has anyone talked to Mazda (dealer service or corporate) about this problem?

inodes
05-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Also, I don't like that the driver's seat doesn't have a front-side tilt control like the back does (not talking about the reclining feature, but the entire seat tilting)

Not sure what you mean?
My GT allows the seat base to tilt forward to back (effectively change the angle of the cushion).

What else is required?

armydrum3
05-22-2012, 11:38 PM
There are some vehicles that provide a separate tilt control for the front and back sides of the seat base, effectively allowing the angle to be changed from either the front or back. While one tilt control can provide the same effect, the dual control had the added benefit of allowing the entire height of the seat to be raised and lowered, independent of the chair's tilt. It may be obsolete now for safety reasons, but I've had a couple of older cars with that feature, and found that it allowed me to adjust the seat much more comfortably.

CX-SV
05-23-2012, 01:05 AM
I'm very unhappy about the wind buffeting with the rear windows down. It's beyond loud, it's actually painful, pounding ear drums. Has anyone talked to Mazda (dealer service or corporate) about this problem?

Common problem with many aerodynamic cars in last decade or so, automakers have heard it before. Lexus owners call it "helicopter noise".

But the primary goal is best aerodynamics with all windows up. Most owners do not operate vehicle at speed with windows down.

stromdriver
05-23-2012, 01:51 AM
minor complaints:

mirror vibration on drivers side, replacement mirror has worse vibration (confirmed by regional mazda rep who also said he noticed it some on pax side too, says they're going back to engineers about it)

horizontal dash trim piece is piano black, dust/smudge magnet... theres no other piano black accents in the car, why wasn't it made in brushed metal like the rest of the accents? (trim, wheel spoke, door handles, etc)

double down shift going up steep grades in cruise, scared the hell outta me the first couple times it happened

wish there was more voice control for audio system (playlist, artist/music mp3tag search etc) and full support for usb drives including standard .m3u playlists instead of just supporting those options for the white hoodie iCultists

major complaint:

nav system, specifically the voice control, then the watered down/lowest common denominator interface
it understands the 'fixed' commands ok, but any names such as street or poi's? forget about it...
many support calls/emails with tomtom, they first tried to tell me it was a problem with the 'speaker' in the car and it was mazdas problem(assuming he meant microphone), then another call they finally admitted something wasn't right, they're supposedly going back to the engineers in stockholm about the issue
the fact that it just automatically starts navigating to wherever it 'thinks' (which is invariably wrong) you want to go rather than giving you a list or options is very short sighted, sure saying 'drive to nearest coffee' is ok(assuming it understood what you said(eyeballs) ), but why not, 'list coffee' or 'find grocery store' then selecting from list arranged by distance? (all signs of rushed, unfinished software)
i will give it this though, the routes it picks are usually pretty decent, but thats about the only thing it does ok but even then it has problems, it tried to offer me an alternative in the middle of a long route because of traffic, but be cause of pop up arrangement, i couldn't click the button to view what the route differences were, and it went away with out giving me a chance to compare....
i dont understand the 'change route' option where it gives you little flags of distances? what does that do? it makes no sense, why not give you the route list and let you select specific roads or turns you want to avoid and make it re-route based on that, my old cheapo crappy mio from 5 years ago did that

i'll probably add more to my litany against tomtom later when i'm not as tired

inodes
05-23-2012, 02:46 AM
There are some vehicles that provide a separate tilt control for the front and back sides of the seat base, effectively allowing the angle to be changed from either the front or back. While one tilt control can provide the same effect, the dual control had the added benefit of allowing the entire height of the seat to be raised and lowered, independent of the chair's tilt. It may be obsolete now for safety reasons, but I've had a couple of older cars with that feature, and found that it allowed me to adjust the seat much more comfortably.

I can change the angle of the seat on my GT as a whole, and it is independent of the height adjustment.
So I have have it high or low, angled forward or back. I think the control is completely fine. Lumbar support is excellent on the long trips.

CX5GT
05-23-2012, 03:17 AM

Sources:

Yeah I see where you are coming from. But for me this is unacceptable. My 3GT was right on the nose. Where it becomes a problem is our photo radar system...at 10km over we are ok...at 13km over I'm getting a 150 dollar pic of my car in the mail. I shouldn't have to use the NAV system to tell me my actual speed. Surely they can make some sort of adjustment. I'll see what they tell at the dealer next week and report back. :)

AussieJosh
05-23-2012, 04:47 AM
Yeah I see where you are coming from. But for me this is unacceptable. My 3GT was right on the nose. Where it becomes a problem is our photo radar system...at 10km over we are ok...at 13km over I'm getting a 150 dollar pic of my car in the mail. I shouldn't have to use the NAV system to tell me my actual speed. Surely they can make some sort of adjustment. I'll see what they tell at the dealer next week and report back. :)

But if you are relying on your speedo, wouldn't you be slightly under the limit? Isn't this a good thing? A bit like setting your clock forward a couple of minutes so your always on time.

Antonio DiMarco
05-23-2012, 06:27 AM
The wind buffeting is a normal issue in many newer cars. I believe it has to do with aerodynamics. Not sure though. You just need to tilt the sunroof to equalize pressure.

Antonio DiMarco
05-23-2012, 06:31 AM
Picked Up white GT last Monday it is covered in Rust from train transport--in addition Roof is scratched pretty bad---so far not impressed with the dealer we bought the car from--otherwise we like the CX5.

Not sure how bad the roof is but the rust specs can be removed with a good claybar. The rust is normal for all new cars especially when transported by train. White just exposes the rust more than other colors.

armydrum3
05-23-2012, 07:04 AM
I can change the angle of the seat on my GT as a whole, and it is independent of the height adjustment.
So I have have it high or low, angled forward or back. I think the control is completely fine. Lumbar support is excellent on the long trips.

Hmmm, maybe I need to take another look at mine...I was fairly certain that the height could not be adjusted separately from the angle. I do wish I had the lumbar support, though; the GT would have been worth the upgrade just for that. (bang)

hollis
05-23-2012, 07:37 AM
I got a rattle from the speaker grill on the dashboard in the front driver side. Dealer confirmed it but Mazda would not authorize the repair. Deemed it Fit and Finish issue, like it was designed to be that way rather then manufacturing defect. I even provided 2-3 video recordings from my cell phone, I filed a complaint with Mazda but haven't received any feedback after couple weeks. Hoping to just fix it myself by putting in 3.5" speakers into the locations. My bet is that the temporary plastic part that in place of the factory speaker is just not screwed in well and is rattling with vibrations.

prhac
05-23-2012, 08:49 AM
But if you are relying on your speedo, wouldn't you be slightly under the limit? Isn't this a good thing? A bit like setting your clock forward a couple of minutes so your always on time.

I agree with your reply.

In some (most? all?) countries the speedo must never read low. Most manufactures are between 3 mph to 5 mph over.

CX5GT
05-23-2012, 09:43 PM
I agree with your reply.

In some (most? all?) countries the speedo must never read low. Most manufactures are between 3 mph to 5 mph over.

It looks like you may have not understood what I was saying. Basically my speedo says I'm going only 120 but in reality I'm going 123. You guys are talking about if my speedo read 120 and I would be going 117, which would not bother me as much. No big deal I will see what they say when I bring it in for the command start install next week.

nizzy1115
05-23-2012, 10:13 PM
I believe the standard is +/- 5% for the spedo to be within spec. Your at about 2.5% out of true so there is technically nothing wrong.

AussieJosh
05-23-2012, 10:19 PM
It looks like you may have not understood what I was saying. Basically my speedo says I'm going only 120 but in reality I'm going 123. You guys are talking about if my speedo read 120 and I would be going 117, which would not bother me as much. No big deal I will see what they say when I bring it in for the command start install next week.

Sorry, I got you the wrong way around. That is a potentially costly problem.

CX5GT
05-23-2012, 10:57 PM
I believe the standard is +/- 5% for the spedo to be within spec. Your at about 2.5% out of true so there is technically nothing wrong.

Even my 3GT,with an off size winter tire, only put my speedo out by 2kms. I would think that +- 5% is unacceptable for today's technologies. Common would any one here really be happy if your speedo read 105 and you were only going 100. For me trying to guess where 117km is so I don't go over 120 is a thing I shouldnt have to do when I spend 35000.

kampfire
05-24-2012, 08:07 AM
The double down shift on a hill climb scared me as well. Very harsh. Happened twice on the same trip going up hill, however on flat and passing it was smooth. Sounds like a tuning issue.

I hope they come up with a fix for the side mirror. By far the most annoying part for us still since we see it everyday.

Nav has become more annoying, its just paninfully slow and the voice recognition is terrible.

What I'm not complaining about is the mileage. Were at 1800 miles now and our avg is 28.2mpg with an avg speed of 35mph.

stromdriver
05-24-2012, 08:14 AM
those of you that are having issues with the voice on nav, please please please, fill out a complaint from your profile on mymazda.com and then call tomtom support and tell them of the problems too.
the more people that come forward to bring the problems to light, the faster and more likely we might get a fix to make the navs more useable

nizzy1115
05-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Even my 3GT,with an off size winter tire, only put my speedo out by 2kms. I would think that +- 5% is unacceptable for today's technologies. Common would any one here really be happy if your speedo read 105 and you were only going 100. For me trying to guess where 117km is so I don't go over 120 is a thing I shouldnt have to do when I spend 35000.

Should you ever have an issue for getting a ticket 2 or 3 mph over the speed limit, you can win it in court. Thats why most cops use a 5-10mph rule as minimum to pull people over for speeding. Ive only gotten them for 15-30 over when I always drive at least 5-10 over past cops daily.

Its very difficult to determine your exact speed. Even if we all have the exact same tire size what happens as the tred starts to wear? Your speed will be off. So does mazda put the spedo at brand new tread life of the stock tires, mid life of the stock tires, or bald life of the stock tires? What about replacement tires that have more tread than the stocks? Mazda has to figure in the average. Remember spedos are still archaic designs by measuring tire rotations against time. Even very small variations in the rotation from tread life will affect it to a small degree.

That said just let it go, all cars are like this.

BeeteKnaughts
05-24-2012, 11:14 AM
sort of off topic but we took a road trip last summer and took along my phone (htc thunderbolt), radar detector, and a garmin. we mounted all three of the devices on the windshield for grins (and because Nebraska is excruciatingly awful to drive across, no offense intended) and watched the speeds vary and they were within a quarter second of eachother updating to current speed, while the speedo on my Honda was 4 mph faster than the three gps devices. was sort of interesting, but imo it's better for the speedo to think you're going faster than you actually are, should keep you out of trouble.

nizzy1115
05-24-2012, 11:23 AM
sort of off topic but we took a road trip last summer and took along my phone (htc thunderbolt), radar detector, and a garmin. we mounted all three of the devices on the windshield for grins (and because Nebraska is excruciatingly awful to drive across, no offense intended) and watched the speeds vary and they were within a quarter second of eachother updating to current speed, while the speedo on my Honda was 4 mph faster than the three gps devices. was sort of interesting, but imo it's better for the speedo to think you're going faster than you actually are, should keep you out of trouble.

A thought I just had. This will cause the miles to rack on your car faster. Over the life of the car that would add up to thousands of miles.

BeeteKnaughts
05-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Never thought of it that way... it wouldn't matter too much though in the long run because if every car is doing it to a certain degree, its an apples to apples comparison if you're looking at a used vehicle as a replacement.

would also be interesting to see if you did a side by side gps odometer to the vehicles over a long period of time how much of a difference it would make.

cmceleste
05-24-2012, 06:47 PM

Same here. I hope the wind deflectors help. Anyone know from experience?

inodes
05-24-2012, 07:54 PM
those of you that are having issues with the voice on nav, please please please, fill out a complaint from your profile on mymazda.com and then call tomtom support and tell them of the problems too.
the more people that come forward to bring the problems to light, the faster and more likely we might get a fix to make the navs more useable

Second that motion.

CX5GT
05-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Should you ever have an issue for getting a ticket 2 or 3 mph over the speed limit, you can win it in court. Thats why most cops use a 5-10mph rule as minimum to pull people over for speeding. Ive only gotten them for 15-30 over when I always drive at least 5-10 over past cops daily.

Its very difficult to determine your exact speed. Even if we all have the exact same tire size what happens as the tred starts to wear? Your speed will be off. So does mazda put the spedo at brand new tread life of the stock tires, mid life of the stock tires, or bald life of the stock tires? What about replacement tires that have more tread than the stocks? Mazda has to figure in the average. Remember spedos are still archaic designs by measuring tire rotations against time. Even very small variations in the rotation from tread life will affect it to a small degree.

That said just let it go, all cars are like this.

Yeah cops are more generous, it's the photo radar vans that have zero fogiveness. 10 over no ticket 11 over, ticket. I know I'm just being picky...but to be honest all the cars I have ever owned have never had this problem. Corolla, Accord, journey, 3Gt...all perfect. Even with some tread wear. Any way I'm filling this forum with same stuff now :). I just see what the dealer has to say.

Thanks for the info tho anything helps for sure.

CX-SV
05-25-2012, 12:26 AM
CX5GT - My speedo speed (mph) matches nav speed on my CX-5 GT w/standard 19's. I see your concern especially if the speedo reads lower than actual, not acceptable. (Porsches in my experience tend to have the most optomistic speedos.)

JockC
05-28-2012, 09:08 AM
My only complaint, to date, is with the Tomtom GPS and I've mentioned it in another thread. The display of POIs is pretty much useless because there's no way of touching the POI to determine the name of the place and it's details. Ie. It will display a shop or restaurant icon but there's no way of finding out the name of that shop or restaurant. Also, I would like to see the altitude on the GPS.

prhac
05-28-2012, 10:30 AM

Sorry about that. In the UK speedometers are not allowed by law to under-read, but are allowed to over-read by no more than 10%. Never heard of one reading low before. Here Mazda would have to change it immediately.

NoSuchSol
05-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Not a complaint, but it did concern me on the hood - it is thin. I was waxing it and just didn't expect it to bend with such light pressure. It does make sense that at freeway speeds and wind that it moves a little. Otherwise, so far so good.

cmceleste
05-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Not a complaint, but it did concern me on the hood - it is thin. I was waxing it and just didn't expect it to bend with such light pressure. It does make sense that at freeway speeds and wind that it moves a little. Otherwise, so far so good.

Noticed this with most surfaces of the car. The body panels seem very thin all around.

inodes
05-29-2012, 02:27 AM

Highly doubt your figure of +5%.
In Australia (and most countries of the world) the speedo needs to be calibrated to display a higher than actual speed.

One reason for this is to avoid speeding fines being challenged in court. In Australia for example, the unmanned speed cameras have small tolerances of between 2-3% error in favour of the driver (the manned cameras are fairer to cater for human error). Some countries are even more strict, allowing for 0% error on the part of the calibrated camera.

The error rests with the vehicle - which is why car makers must make the displayed higher than actual.

If the speedo was calibrated to display lower than actual by 5%, then a displayed 100km/h would be 105km/h (rounded).
An unmanned speed camera allowing up to 103km/h, would fine the driver despite their speed displaying 100km/h.

If this was common, then it would be common for drivers to challenge the fines.

This law is fairly common. As a result, Mazda calibrates all vehicles in Japan to usually be between 3-6% above actual. This would also apply to vehicles being exported to the US/Canada.

Car magazines in Australia publish manufactured tolerances in reviews all the time.
Nearly every single Mazda I've seen in the past 5 years has *always* had:

Actual 95km/h
Displayed 100km/h

kampfire
05-30-2012, 07:47 AM
Having an issue with the Nav/Radio screen. When we turn our lights on the screen does not go dim. Its in auto mode but it doesnt change. We have to physically select night mode in settings every time. Anyone else's do this?

2007cx9
05-30-2012, 09:20 AM
I'll add that our CX-9 seems to be very accurate. We have a Jeep and the CX-9. I've had the jeep programmed because of larger tires to correct speedo issues. With my GPS the jeep still shows 2 MPH faster on the highway. The CX-9 usually seems to be right on with the same GPS unit. (tomtom on iPhone).

I'd say our CX-9 is programmed within 1% error if not less.

jsp
05-31-2012, 01:56 PM
I agree on ... Hood vibration, driver mirror vibration, some rattle (could be the mirror, not sure yet)

I also started to notice a deformation on the hood where the is the hook to keep it closed... anyone else saw that ? Subtle but I thought someone hit my car in the parking lot the other day and after looking closer, i noticed it is right there... where that hook is. I'll try to get a picture where we can see it.

jsp
05-31-2012, 02:00 PM
I'd also add the following...

Cheap/thin floor carpet (not the removable ones, but the floor...)
No dead pedal
nothing to stop water/washer from flowing from the windshield to the drivers window (had borders for that on my VW Rabbit)
electric windows can't be controlled from driver controls when they are locked

prhac
05-31-2012, 02:04 PM

No deal pedal
nothing to stop water/washer from flowing from the windshield to the drivers window (had borders for that on my VW Rabbit)

Sorry, what's a 'no deal pedal'? Is it a poor one?

armydrum3
05-31-2012, 02:32 PM
I just took a road trip, noticed a slight hood vibration for the first time but I could neither hear or feel it. I also saw some driver side mirror vibration at high speeds, but not so bad that I couldn't use it.

Zooms
05-31-2012, 10:33 PM
I just took a road trip, noticed a slight hood vibration for the first time but I could neither hear or feel it. I also saw some driver side mirror vibration at high speeds, but not so bad that I couldn't use it.

Same here!

CX5GT
05-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Anyone notice that you have to really slam the hatch to get it to latch. Almost like it's too light.

stromdriver
05-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Anyone notice that you have to really slam the hatch to get it to latch. Almost like it's too light.

i wouldn't say you have to slam it, but you do have to put a bit of force into it to make sure its actually closed

jsp
06-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Sorry, what's a 'no deal pedal'? Is it a poor one?

It's the place where your left feet rest, most cars have a plastic plate there, the CX-5 is carpet... this is going to wear out fast with the winter I guess.

2007cx9
06-01-2012, 08:49 AM
dead

NOT

deal

jsp
06-01-2012, 10:50 AM
dead

NOT

deal

Oops. Thanks for the typo catch.

joeatmazda5
06-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Came out of work tonight, got in my new CX5, pushed the "engine start button" and nothing. It just wouldn't start. Everything on the dash lit up but it just wouldn't start. Called Mazda Roadside Assistance, they were great. Immediately called my dealership and they will be running a diagnostic on it first thing in the morning to see if they can figure out why it wouldn't start. CAA gave it a boost and said it may/may not have been the battery. They also said it's common for all new vehicles (mine is 2 months old) to not start at least once in the beginning as the batteries have never really been fully recharged?? Anyone hear of this?? Anyways, more to follow on this. Have to admit, it was frustrating but both roadside assistance (by Mazda) and the dealership provided excellent service.

How did you make out since the boost?

joeatmazda5
06-01-2012, 09:35 PM
I agree. A lot of reviews have said the same: angled too far forward.

I'm getting used to them though.

I got used to them also. :-)

CX-SV
06-02-2012, 01:10 AM

What did dealer say? Should be easy to show then NAV speed reading higher than speedometer (which is not normal to say the least).

mr.fusion
06-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Speedo on my CX5 is about 1 mph off @55-60 and maybe 1.5 mph off @70 so that's not too bad. My issue is that I don't like how difficult it is to actually see/read the speedometer... at least compared to my Mazda5. CX5 has a funky fat needle and the 160mph dial is too cramped.... adds up to difficult to tell at a glance what your speed is. I think it needs either a larger dial or 120mph scale instead of the stupid 160. This isn't a MS3

My 5 is dead on accurate and it's night and day easier to use/read in traffic.

I guess I'll find a nice location for the Garmin cause it's going in the CX5.

BeeteKnaughts
06-02-2012, 09:30 AM

No dead pedal

I noticed this too, I just got the all-weather floor mats (oem) and was ripping out the cheap ones and I thought I was going to rip the carpet. It is very, very thin.

CX5GT
06-02-2012, 07:13 PM
What did dealer say? Should be easy to show then NAV speed reading higher than speedometer (which is not normal to say the least).

Haven't been to the dealer yet, been driving around too much! :). I bet they give me the +-5% bs. Well see its going in on Thursday to get command start installed.

udayse
06-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Have seen most things that people have reported here:
1) speedometer different from nav speed
2) very cheap carpets and sunshade on the moon roof.
3) vibrating mirror
4) vibrating hood
5) Remote engine start fob does not open doors, need to use the main fob for it
6) Could not get any discounts for the car :(
7) Overall the outer body looks great but seems cheap to the touch.. The metal seems very light.

What is great:
1) MPG real world is amazing for the size of the car, rented a chevy aveo, and guess what my cx-5 beats the chevy aveo.
2) Plenty of room
3) Plenty of power (I am not an aggresive driver, but I test drove an xterra, and a ford xplorer long time ago, and know what an under powered suv feels like)
4) I love the looks on the outside
5) The looks on the inside feels like a high end lexus rx350
6) Love the bluetooth, microphone is great, everyone can hear me.
7) Noise levels are ok, could be better.
8) Sirius is fun, HD radio is cd quality
9) Voice recognition works fine, I know some people have had problems. enunciate please..

Overall more positives than negatives.. couldnt be happier with the car.

CX5GT
06-05-2012, 01:28 AM
Question about the remote start...does it also have proximity sensor or is every one talking about opening the doors with push button on factory fob. I really think that it would be a HUGE mistake on mazdas side if they expect me to carry around 2 fobs to get in my car.

I have the proximity key system and the dealer is installing the Mazda command start on Thursday. I just want to know if it is a configuration problem on their end or just not possible at all to have it all on the command start fob.

kampfire
06-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Haven't been to the dealer yet, been driving around too much! :). I bet they give me the +-5% bs. Well see its going in on Thursday to get command start installed.

So I'm sure the dealer will give you 5% tolerance on the 36k mile warranty then right? :)

Also anyone have issue of their HD radio constantly fading in and out of HD signal?

nizzy1115
06-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Happens to me too but im further away from the city. my job is about 30 miles closer which helps a lot.

udayse
06-05-2012, 01:48 PM
CX5 GT, the remote engine start has buttons to start, stop, and something called car find. That is it. It will not open doors. Its silly to me that it can start the engine but not open doors. Had I known this, I would never have gotten it.

War Eagle Mazda
06-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Haven't had problem with HD. I've noticed the hood shimmy. Just seems like the material in thin. One of my side mirrors vibrates, so I figure that means that the problem CAN be fixed. Haven't had any real issues, short of a tropical storm putting dents in my hood, further leading me to my conclusion that the hood is a little "lean" so to speak. I'll get those pulled out, and move on.

only real complaint I have (again nothing to do with performance, or a maintenance issue) the bluetooth and USB...why o why does it only really work with IPhones? My android hooks right up to it, and works great, but I can't see the track, and don't have the advanced controls when using USB. Is it really that important to car dealers to make their stuff work with Apple devices, but not the "other" OS, which comprises a large portion of the smart phone market? ugh...anyway, I really hope those of you with issues get them resolved...sounds like alot of dealer issues IMO.

NoSuchSol
06-05-2012, 07:45 PM
1. Having issues with the bluetooth, but I'm also running a ZTE Warp(Boost Mobile). Sprint service isn't that great, but it likes to drop in and out.
2. Mazda is replacing the cushion on the drivers seat b/c the clips wouldn't "clip" and the cushion was loose on one side.

Not necessarily complaints, but just the stuff I've been dealing with.

CX5GT
06-05-2012, 09:47 PM
CX5 GT, the remote engine start has buttons to start, stop, and something called car find. That is it. It will not open doors. Its silly to me that it can start the engine but not open doors. Had I known this, I would never have gotten it.

Well ffs, I had it worked into the price...but still how stupid. I'm gonna have to get a man purse to carry my keys!

CX5GT
06-06-2012, 11:56 PM
UPDATE!

Got the +-5 % BS from the dealer, regarding my speedo being out 3kms. Funny cause the loaner Mazda 3 they gave me was on the spot on.

The remote start key fob is the most useless piece of crap. Well the whole system is stupid to me.

The Remote Starter FOB will not unlock the doors, when you open the door (with original fob in hand) the engine stops and you have to start the vehicle again. This can't be good for the starter. Not impressed to say the least. And they want 300 bucks for a replacement remote start Fob.

Still love my CX-5 tho!!

JockC
06-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Here's another possible one. I know that diesel motors are always a little clattery at low revs but this one seems to have quite a bit of pinging type noise when I drive at low speeds. Is anyone else noticing this?

DaveNZ
06-07-2012, 03:41 AM
Nope, havent noticed that at all. If you really stomp it down low you'll hear some slight diesel clatter but its heavily subdued compared to Hyundai's latest 2.2 R diesel thats for sure.
Its a pretty impressive engine. I keep getting people not believing that its a diesel when they get in it (until I nail the throttle!) :-)

GAXIBM
06-07-2012, 09:23 AM
CX5GT As your tires wear and get smaller the spedo will read higher and closer to true, at the same speed...

xwedge
06-07-2012, 12:13 PM
I wonder if this will fix the vibrating hood issues:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_hoodliner.html

Doesn't have to be dynamat, but maybe some kind of liner would work. It would add some weight to the hood as well as shield it from engine vibration.

CX-SV
06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I wonder if this will fix the vibrating hood issues:

http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_hoodliner.html

Doesn't have to be dynamat, but maybe some kind of liner would work. It would add some weight to the hood as well as shield it from engine vibration.

My hood does not vibrate. Lightweight aluminum hoods are common on modern vehicles, my Lexus has one and it also doesn't vibrate. My last Ford Explorer had an aluminum hood and it did not vibrate.

My guess an adjustment is needed so the hood seats properly and therefore is seated properly when closed.

Has anybody consulted their Mazda service department about this? And what was the response?

udayse
06-08-2012, 03:13 PM
If anyone else is as disappointed about the Remote engine start as I am, please call mazda and let them know:
In north america: By Phone: 800-222-5500
A real person will answer, after you get through the menu. When I spoke to them, they told me I was the only one who complained about this so far. They said if enough people complain, they maybe able to do something about it.

They also mentioned that the CX-9 provides keyless entry and remote start in the same fob, but not on the cx-5

joepro
06-08-2012, 03:24 PM
I forgot to mention I'm very disappointed with the quality of the glossy black plastic trim, where the mazda logo sits, on the front of the car.
It's got so many chips already it's crazy.

plemieux
06-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Agree with all of this. Noticed the vibration in the hood on a long road trip. Really noticeable along the edge nearest the windshield. Think the skyactiv weight reduction on the hood made it too light.

and also seeing the vibration on passenger side mirror as well.

REALLY wish bluetooth would stop cutting in and out and speeding up audio randomly. Using the latest software on an iPhone 4S. Have to turn bluetooth on and off multiple times per trip to get it to work correctly.

Voice recognition is a joke.

Don't know what speed is correct, the GPS or the Speedo. They can't agree on what speed i'm actually going.

starting to wish i had went with the CR-V. i've owned nothing but Honda's until now. Never had any build quality issues with them.

PJO
06-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Why don't you use the USB with your iPhone? Sound quality is better and it works flawlessly.

plemieux
06-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Why don't you use the USB with your iPhone? Sound quality is better and it works flawlessly.

How quickly does the USB cable charge? Anyone know the output amperage of the cars USB ports? I have a 3.1 amp car charger that charges the phone pretty quick. Most usb ports are 0.5-1.0 output amperage.

thisman
06-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I've had the car for couple of weeks now - not too many complaints as I really like the car - but..

- The plastic in the dashboard is quite scratch prone, but I do like the soft touch material on the top!
- The paint seems to be very thin and scratches easily (massive difference from my previous BMW)
- Vibrating mirrors are annoying
- The "iDrive" knob can't be used to control the volume directly
- ...and I don't like how low in the dashboard the clock sits! :-)

amagar
06-09-2012, 08:17 PM
We've had our white GT AWD for nearly 1,000 miles now -- Love 97 percent of it and strangers in parking lots have approached a half-dozen times to ask about eye-catching vehicle. My favorites: Ease (and fun) of handling...comfort...fuel efficiency...and cargo space.

We went to Costco this week and heaped two carts full of stuff (and put stuff on bottom of carts, too), and my clever hubby fit everything into the vehicle -- I had to ride in back seat, but no biggie. I wish I had a photo....but the larger items included a 10,000 BTU portable air conditioner, 7-foot magnolia tree (real, not fake), jumbo packs of Bounty paper towels and Charmin and solar lighting for front yard...and $650-worth of groceries. I forgot to mention in original post the other unexpected thing -- We forgot my mom's wheelchair was in the back (folding)....so, in addition to Costco loot, a full-size folding wheel chair was also crammed in

Here's what I would change:
a)deeper sun roof
b)move clock higher on console
c)swap orange lights on console to something soothing and modern, like blue or white
d)devote more of speedometer to 0-80 mph....half of the dial is wasted for most folks

Oh, one other nit particular to our vehicle: The right-side plug on our bumper apparently popped out ... dealer is replacing for free, but part had to be ordered. Dealer suspected the plug wasn't put in correctly.

By the way, our dealer -- Park Mazda of Wooster (OH) -- has been great to deal with, from stumbling across them at the Cleveland auto show....to online negotiating (we ended up at dealer invoice)...to following up after purchase. Like I said, this is our first Mazda, so we've never used this dealer before...and sort of wonder if this is representative of Mazda. There was no (obvious) pressure from saleswoman (Sam)...and thorough and informative presentation upon delivery....and Park didn't paint its logo onto our bumper (we had planned to asked them not to...forgot about it...and were pleasantly surprised when we picked it up and saw that Park had added nothing but a license plate holder).

Rubberman
06-09-2012, 09:18 PM
So far: the heated seats aren't the warmest. The clock ac lighting is orange where everything else is white. Love the vehicle!

kampfire
06-11-2012, 11:11 AM
On a road trip this week from Michigan to Nashville and the Nav crapped out. Voice and menus work but map screen is black. Called nelson mazda in Nashville and they said it takes 3 days for a new unit to be ordered. We are only there for 2 days. So Not really pleased about that. I know Nav isn't required to drive the car but it is why we bought it for road trips. Dealer wasn't very helpful either in finding solution. Hopefully our home dealer will treat us better.

GAXIBM
06-11-2012, 07:39 PM
When I turn on my lights in rain the nav map goes almost black as it thinks it is nite and goes to a low light mode that is hard to see in the day...

JockC
06-11-2012, 09:10 PM
When I turn on my lights in rain the nav map goes almost black as it thinks it is nite and goes to a low light mode that is hard to see in the day...

Not a perfect fix but you can address that by turning up the dashboard lights to full.

respy78
06-11-2012, 09:33 PM

Have you tried setting the screen brightness to "day" as opposed to "auto"? It worked for me, but I don't have nav.

QueenBee
06-11-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm not at all a fan of the felt like carpeting and the base model seat materials as my dogs hair sticks to everything and shows up against the black. I'd rather have a dark grey seat or something that didn't show every crumb tracked in.

Is the carpeting better quality in the touring models? Anyone covering the seats? I ordered the OEM cargo tray and the weathertech rubber mats and plan to keep them in permanently though I don't contend with rain or snow, I do contend with kids and a dog :)

plemieux
06-12-2012, 05:50 AM
I'm not at all a fan of the felt like carpeting and the base model seat materials as my dogs hair sticks to everything and shows up against the black. I'd rather have a dark grey seat or something that didn't show every crumb tracked in.

Is the carpeting better quality in the touring models? Anyone covering the seats? I ordered the OEM cargo tray and the weathertech rubber mats and plan to keep them in permanently though I don't contend with rain or snow, I do contend with kids and a dog :)

The carpeting is the same across all models. The touring get's "premium cloth" and the GT gets leather. I agree with you on both statements that the carpet is cheap as well as the seat materials. I think the only thing different with the premium cloth is the pattern.

mclark999
06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
I agree!

Really only has enough power if you are willing to rev it to 4000 rpm or more.

mclark999
06-12-2012, 03:43 PM
1. My biggest complaint so far is the back seats don't fold down to any where near flat. Makes half the cargo area useless as everything slides to the back. Can't fit my bike in unless I lower the seat all the way down.

2. Next biggest complaint is lack of power, but I knew that when I bought it and the good mileage helps make up for it.

3. Seems pretty loud on anything but very smooth roads. I did rent a Camry recently and the CX-5 seems about the same. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I'd added a bunch of vibration damping sound proofing in my Xb.

I really enjoy the driving dynamics. Best driving car of any of the non-luxury suvs. Drives as well or better than the Infiniti FX series.

cmceleste
06-12-2012, 05:45 PM
1. Having issues with the bluetooth, but I'm also running a ZTE Warp(Boost Mobile). Sprint service isn't that great, but it likes to drop in and out.
2. Mazda is replacing the cushion on the drivers seat b/c the clips wouldn't "clip" and the cushion was loose on one side.

Not necessarily complaints, but just the stuff I've been dealing with.

My driver side seat did this the first week I had it, but I was able to clip it back in. I then noticed the passenger seat did the same thing a week later, and again was able to clip it back in. One month later my driver side seat popped off again and it seems as it it wont clip back this time. I think its just a poor design on the way the clip is sewed into the fabric and it is not that large to actually stay in place.

joeatmazda5
06-12-2012, 07:42 PM
I've had the car for couple of weeks now - not too many complaints as I really like the car - but..

- The plastic in the dashboard is quite scratch prone, but I do like the soft touch material on the top!
- The paint seems to be very thin and scratches easily (massive difference from my previous BMW)
- Vibrating mirrors are annoying
- The "iDrive" knob can't be used to control the volume directly
- ...and I don't like how low in the dashboard the clock sits! :-)

I would agree that the "The paint seems to be very thin and scratches easily" - every time I take bikes in/out of the cargo area I am putting nicks in the back bumper

pauly69
06-13-2012, 08:33 AM
I have a steering pull to the right problem, otherwise no real concerns. See my separate thread in the suspension section.

JTNY
06-13-2012, 09:06 AM
my bluetooth keeps cutting out on voice calls, anyone having this issue? I have a Motorola Droid Bionic phone . I can stream Pandora via bluetooth with no problem just the voice calls keep getting dropped.

plemieux
06-13-2012, 09:18 AM
my bluetooth keeps cutting out on voice calls, anyone having this issue? I have a Motorola Droid Bionic phone . I can stream Pandora via bluetooth with no problem just the voice calls keep getting dropped.

My bluetooth problem is the other way around. I have an iPhone 4S and the call audio is fine. No drops or speed ups. Streaming music however is a joke. It cuts in and out and speeds up. Have to disconnect bluetooth and reconnect to fix. Usually 2-3 times per trip.

REALLY wish they had used the same soft touch materials that are on the dash on the door panels as well. Resting your elbow on that hard plastic on the door is terrible.

nizzy1115
06-13-2012, 09:24 AM

Disable your wifi.

jsp
06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
I agree on ... Hood vibration, driver mirror vibration, some rattle (could be the mirror, not sure yet)

I also started to notice a deformation on the hood where the is the hook to keep it closed... anyone else saw that ? Subtle but I thought someone hit my car in the parking lot the other day and after looking closer, i noticed it is right there... where that hook is. I'll try to get a picture where we can see it.

For the interested, I went to the dealer for my first maintenance and here is what I got with my little issues:

- Mirror vibration/rattle: confirmed by dealer test drive, they ordered a replacement and reported to Mazda
- Inside rattle: they tightened bolts in the "cow grill" and they secured the plastic cover behind the steering wheel

I forgot to talk about the hood vibration, so next time around I'll mention it. The "cow grill" screws/bolts, they had a service bulletin regarding the issue.

JTNY
06-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Disable your wifi.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

dbcx5
06-14-2012, 08:53 PM
My driver side seat did this the first week I had it, but I was able to clip it back in. I then noticed the passenger seat did the same thing a week later, and again was able to clip it back in. One month later my driver side seat popped off again and it seems as it it wont clip back this time. I think its just a poor design on the way the clip is sewed into the fabric and it is not that large to actually stay in place.

My driver seat also popped out after one week. I took it into the dealership and Mazda Canada is sending new clips to be installed on Monday. Fortunately just the clips need replacing, and not the fabric, so it should be a quick and easy fix. According to the dealer, they have recognized this as a deficiency and will be sending out a bulletin about repairs.

Morsa
06-16-2012, 07:04 AM
What is "cow grill"?
Thx.

2007cx9
06-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Cowl. The part between the hood and windshield.

Morsa
06-16-2012, 01:55 PM
¡Ah! cowL, that's it!.

nyctravis
06-17-2012, 10:29 PM
After two days of having it, I have just a few small minor annoyances but am overall really, really happy with it.

-Moonroof size is a bit skimpy
-The Bose stereo is good but not as good as their marketing suggests (not unique to the CX-5, more of a comment on Bose). More particular to the CX-5, it really lacks in the back speakers and could use some more adjustment options besides just treble and bass.
-Driver's side mirror vibrates a bit much. I get used to it, but it is distracting at first.
-It could use a bit more pep (or less struggle) on bigger hills, etc.

Blueboy152
06-18-2012, 07:26 AM
What do you mean by the driver seat clips coming loose?

dbcx5
06-18-2012, 10:21 AM
What do you mean by the driver seat clips coming loose?

I'll take a couple of pictures and post it later, it's going in for the fix this morning.

kampfire
06-18-2012, 12:18 PM
I'll take a couple of pictures and post it later, it's going in for the fix this morning.

My driver side came loose this weekend as well. The list for the dealer is getting long...

katmar
06-18-2012, 02:53 PM
-It could use a bit more pep (or less struggle) on bigger hills, etc.

When people say it struggles, do you mean it actually slows down and you can only get up a hill at say 40 mph when you were doing 55 before the hill?

Or does it just downshift a few gears and get loud, yet is still able to maintain the 55 mph speed up the hill?

stromdriver
06-18-2012, 02:59 PM
well my wife picked up her cx5 on friday, her microphone in the nav voice control doesn't seem to be as sensitive as the one for mine (hers doesnt go into red often, mine almost always does) but it has no effect on the shoddy recognition of poi names, we have learned though that you can't use 'keywords' you have to say the poi name EXACTLY like it is in tomtoms list.... you can't say 'dunkin' you have to say 'dunkin donuts' so if whatever poi you want has a longer or multiworded name, you have to say it exactly like its listed (even then it doesn't get it right most times)

her seat clips came off that afternoon, she's goin back tomorrow to get the rear splash guards installed (they hadn't gotten there yet) and have them try to fix the seat bottom)

also noticed there is considerable flex in the bottom dash trim piece when you push the start/stop button, try it, watch the piece that goes under the instruments and push the button

kampfire
06-18-2012, 03:19 PM
When people say it struggles, do you mean it actually slows down and you can only get up a hill at say 40 mph when you were doing 55 before the hill?

Or does it just downshift a few gears and get loud, yet is still able to maintain the 55 mph speed up the hill?

I just did quite a bit of mountain driving last week through tenn and n. carolina. It does pretty good in the mtns. Most 2-3% grades, I could sustain speed (55-65mph) in 5th gear. Anything steeper it drops down to 4th gear. In 4th gear you can accerlate up hills.

nyctravis
06-18-2012, 05:47 PM

Hmmm I think it definitely keeps up although I'm not sure how well it would fully loaded. But just me and my dog driving around with a few bags and it kept up just fine. Went up into the catskill mountains so definitely had a chance to go up/down some good hills. It just revs up quite a bit and you can hear (and feel) the engine really revving when going up hills. At the same time, it did keep up though and no it's not like it was going 40mph up a hill when previously at 55mph. If I floored it, it kept at 55mph so at least that's pretty good. Just that it seemed like it was working pretty hard to do it. Overall a pretty minor thing considering the great mpg it gets-for me it's a fine tradeoff.

Also, btw, when out on the freeway, I was zoom-zooming past people like crazy without any effort at all. :)

Blueboy152
06-18-2012, 08:11 PM
My Traction control system(TCS)/Dynamic Stability Contraol(DSC) light come on when i was on the free way this morning i got off and stopped the car to read the manual. Says take to dealer there might be a problem. Istop was flashing yellow as well. When i started the car again everything was fine...
I will see how it goes on way home from work. My first 1000 inspection will happen around next week. Should i just mention it to them then?
Or should i be more worried..... :(

Any ideas what i should do or have anyone had this happen.
Hope its nothing to bad!
I just google it and think it happend to mazda 3's and was a known issue
thanks Guys, love the car

dbcx5
06-19-2012, 12:38 AM
This is what my driver seat looked like this morning. I'm not applying that much pressure, but the seat was popping out very easily. Getting in the car obviously made the problem worse with my leg rubbing up against the bolster, but it shouldn't be popping out after a week. The front of the seat was also lifting with minimal pressure.

They installed the fix today (redesigned clips), and there's much less give (if at all), and I'm optimistic it won't be popping out again anytime soon. The fix came directly from Mazda's Techline, so if you go in to your dealer with this problem, they should know about it, or be able to find out about it very easily.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2063/photo3qv.jpg

stromdriver
06-19-2012, 08:51 AM
This is what my driver seat looked like this morning. I'm not applying that much pressure, but the seat was popping out very easily. Getting in the car obviously made the problem worse with my leg rubbing up against the bolster, but it shouldn't be popping out after a week. The front of the seat was also lifting with minimal pressure.

They installed the fix today (redesigned clips), and there's much less give (if at all), and I'm optimistic it won't be popping out again anytime soon. The fix came directly from Mazda's Techline, so if you go in to your dealer with this problem, they should know about it, or be able to find out about it very easily.

thats exactly what my wifes cx5 does, except the front lifts some too

inodes
06-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Have to disconnect bluetooth and reconnect to fix. Usually 2-3 times per trip.

I generally always connect to the iPod connector. It only takes a little longer to set up, because it defaults to the bluetooth output.
When on bluetooth, I usually get audio issues after a while (maybe 10 minutes). But there are no such issues on the iPod connection.

I think it has something to due with the fact that bluetooth has to stream, whereas the iPod connection is direct with no streaming required.

nyctravis
06-19-2012, 10:10 AM
I also use the iPod connector. But one annoyance I have is that when I first get in and start the engine and am getting settled, the bluetooth starts streaming music on its own which is annoying. First, I may not want music right away to start. Second, it seems to pick random places to start playing music (i.e. it doesn't always start with the last song I was playing), and I don't want to turn bluetooth off because I want it on to use the phone/hands-free.

stromdriver
06-19-2012, 10:18 AM
I also use the iPod connector. But one annoyance I have is that when I first get in and start the engine and am getting settled, the bluetooth starts streaming music on its own which is annoying. First, I may not want music right away to start. Second, it seems to pick random places to start playing music (i.e. it doesn't always start with the last song I was playing), and I don't want to turn bluetooth off because I want it on to use the phone/hands-free.

yeah i wish there was a way to disable or turn off the audio player side of the bluetooth, we dont use it so no point in making the connection (especially since we're having issues with bluetooth now)

2007cx9
06-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Why didn't they make the hood fiberglass?

speedtrader
06-19-2012, 10:47 AM
I noticed my seat coming apart before I took delivery of mine so the dealer fixed it immediately. Looks like this may be a major manufacturing quality issue.

EricF
06-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Why didn't they make the hood fiberglass?

If you got in an accident would you want a hood that shatters, or one that absorbs energy? I'd go with the latter.

Plus they're easier to make, which means they're cheaper, and the fit and finish of steel/aluminum is (usually) better than with fiberglass.

xwedge
06-19-2012, 01:20 PM
If you got in an accident would you want a hood that shatters, or one that absorbs energy? I'd go with the latter.

Plus they're easier to make, which means they're cheaper, and the fit and finish of steel/aluminum is (usually) better than with fiberglass.

I'm thinking that he meant carbon fiber.

Jcanracer
06-19-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm thinking that he meant carbon fiber.
carbon fiber would behave the same way as fiberglass, it would crack or shatter rather than crumple.

2007cx9
06-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Just saying. My 98 ranger had a fiberglass hood. They make safety glass. Why not some sort of safety fiberglass.

The rear fenders where fiberglass too. Got swiped by a semi trailer. It didn't shatter. It sort of just crumbled. It's fiberglass not glass. They make boats out of fiberglass. My jetski was fiberglass it never shattered.

Trying to stay on subject here. With the hood being fiberglass it would be more rigid and not resonate in the air passing over it. Just saying it may help with the seen vibration.

2007cx9
06-19-2012, 04:17 PM

I guess all the fiberglass corvettes out there are death traps because they will "shatter". How much energy do you think that hood will absorb? It would be better if it just flew off.

CX-SV
06-19-2012, 04:25 PM
I guess they didn't want customers complaining of the hot plastic stink in the summer like Corvettes, it's not pleasant. Lol, like I want a 1998 Ranger fiberglass hood on my Mazda with Ford silver paint (and no primer because the paint manufacturer told them it was okay to do without primer) that peels off as soon as the warranty expires. Just saying 1998 hood trivia doesn't apply whether they shatter or fly off on impact.

A aluminum hood meets the fit, finish (including paint quality and durabilty/adhesion), weight, cost, crash safety and pedestrian safety (today it's a requirement) criteria for Mazda. No certainty of fiberglass hood meeting all of that criteria. The Corvette is not a model of safety or a especially cost-effective platform. I am more confident in Mazda's current engineering skills over Ford's so-so engineering of 1998.

More on topic is the hood shaking that some owners (not all) have experienced, what is the dealer saying? Is a TSB out yet? Is it an adjustment to mounting hardware that makes hood stable? Because many owners don't get noticeable shaking with same aluminum hood. I've purposely looked at my hood trying to observe shaking under a variety of conditions and none found.

EricF
06-19-2012, 05:50 PM
I guess all the fiberglass corvettes out there are death traps because they will "shatter". How much energy do you think that hood will absorb? It would be better if it just flew off.

metal absorbs more energy than fiberglass or plastic how much more depends on the type of crash. metal hoods (and fenders) are designed as apart of the crumple zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yoa8McfOY0

Yep, the plastic corvette absorbs a lot of energy. Actually the panels just fell off, like you said they should. LOL

EricF
06-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Just saying. My 98 ranger had a fiberglass hood. They make safety glass. Why not some sort of safety fiberglass.

The rear fenders where fiberglass too. Got swiped by a semi trailer. It didn't shatter. It sort of just crumbled. It's fiberglass not glass. They make boats out of fiberglass. My jetski was fiberglass it never shattered.

Trying to stay on subject here. With the hood being fiberglass it would be more rigid and not resonate in the air passing over it. Just saying it may help with the seen vibration.

If the hood vibrates (I still waiting on mine, so i have no idea how much of an issue it is), keep in mind that its part of making a vehicle to be sold starting in the low $20k range. My Tacoma was about $30k, but uses the same hood as the $13k model. It vibrates a little at speed (70mph+), but it doesn't bother me at all.

These are pretty inexpensive vehicles in the first production year; expectations should be set accordingly.

Gio26NJ
06-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Here's a complaint, brother in law is looking for a AWD CX-5 GT like mine without the Tech Package but there are only like 2-3 available within a 50 mile radius in NJ! we went to several Mazda dealerships close by in the past few days and there were almost no GT's on hand.

Does anyone have an idea of when these GT's will become more available in the NorthEast US especially?, thank god I got mine when I did. I didn't realize there would be shortages lol

nyctravis
06-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Did you use the search inventory tool on mazdausa.com? Try that. I did a quick search for the AWD GT from a 50 mile radius of Edison, NJ and found some. That doesn't mean they aren't already accounted for, but if he's not picky on color then he should be able to find something at least using that tool as a start his search for contacting dealers with them in stock.

CX-SV
06-20-2012, 01:16 PM
nyctravis - Good advice, it worked for me. That's how I found my GT spec'ed (including exterior and interior color) as desired.

But I know supplies are tighter now than in March when the average car shopper didn't even know the CX-5 existed.

nyctravis
06-20-2012, 01:22 PM
nyctravis - Good advice, it worked for me.

Ha! Actually, I learned it from you. So original credit goes to you, where it's due. :)

All this prompted me to take a look back at the original CX-5 we bought who's location and story kept changing. I just did a search and see that it's still not there at all. I wonder if it will ever arrive. :) Glad I got the one I got though and not looking back. That search tool was priceless in helping me to make the realization that I needed to let go.

Gio26NJ
06-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Yup I took a look at that too, only 5 GT's available 1 of them with Tech Package and the dealers are out near Philly just above the 50 mile radius. I hope Mazda plans on providing more GT's cause people are looking for them.

CX-SV
06-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Ha! Actually, I learned it from you. So original credit goes to you, where it's due. :)

All this prompted me to take a look back at the original CX-5 we bought who's location and story kept changing. I just did a search and see that it's still not there at all. I wonder if it will ever arrive. :) Glad I got the one I got though and not looking back. That search tool was priceless in helping me to make the realization that I needed to let go.

Wow, your honesty is impressive! But what's important is that you got the CX-5 you really wanted. Congrats.

nyctravis
06-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Hmmm I'm finding 9 AWD GT's within 50 miles of Edison, NJ without tech package. You wanted just a straight AWD GT, right (no packages, etc)? Also consider expanding your radius just a little bit and you might get a bunch more come up. I expanded to 100 miles from Edison and got 12 GT AWD's without tech package

Gio26NJ
06-20-2012, 02:37 PM
I was doing it from East Brunswick, let me try Edison as well unless I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: Ok I see what I was doing wrong, it was returning searches on one specific color only when I viewed the details of a vehicle and went back to the search inventory page all CX-5 inventory showed up.

Thanks man! some of them are still too far out but there are options, still though there should be more than 9-10 in the whole state of NJ :D and if you're particular about a color keep looking!

nyctravis
06-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Ah, glad you at least found a few more options. Keep us posted :)

plemieux
06-20-2012, 04:13 PM
If the hood vibrates (I still waiting on mine, so i have no idea how much of an issue it is), keep in mind that its part of making a vehicle to be sold starting in the low $20k range. My Tacoma was about $30k, but uses the same hood as the $13k model. It vibrates a little at speed (70mph+), but it doesn't bother me at all.

These are pretty inexpensive vehicles in the first production year; expectations should be set accordingly.

My last vehicle was a $16k Honda Fit. It is what I traded in for the CX-5. No hood or side mirror vibrations, no flimsy front dash panels, no front seat cushions coming out on the Fit. It was far quieter too. For 8k less than I spent on the CX-5, that Honda Fit was built like a tank. No quality issues with it what so ever. You can't gauge the quality of a car by simply comparing prices.

plemieux
06-20-2012, 04:19 PM
More on topic is the hood shaking that some owners (not all) have experienced, what is the dealer saying? I've purposely looked at my hood trying to observe shaking under a variety of conditions and none found.

Have you gotten it up to about 80mph on the highway? For me, at 70 it is very slight, but at 80 it really starts going. Above 85 it looks like it's about to blast off into space.

CX-SV
06-20-2012, 04:23 PM
lol, I don't want a Fit at any price.

I prefer my luxurious CX-5 GT awd with no hood or side mirror vibrations, no flimsy front dash panels, no front seat cushions coming out, no quality issues in first 4500 miles. When I take it in for my 7500 mile oil change in a couple of months, maybe I'll have something to talk about at the Service department by then. The GT does cost more at about $29K. I don't think anybody was gauging quality by simply comparing prices, because most of us are familiar with Range Rover, Jag, Audi quality at very premium prices.

CX-SV
06-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Have you gotten it up to about 80mph on the highway? For me, at 70 it is very slight, but at 80 it really starts going. Above 85 it looks like it's about to blast off into space.

Bummer, and what does the dealer Service say? Has anybody asked yet?

Of course I've had it to 80, in CA normal cruising speed is 75-80mph. But I have not exceeded 90 mph. And I've gone out of my way to stare at the hood looking for the problem on a variety of surfaces at speed, no vibes.

plemieux
06-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Bummer, and what does the dealer Service say? Has anybody asked yet?

Took mine in last week. They ordered new clips for the seat cushions. They could find no fault in the parts or installation of the hood or mirrors regarding the vibes so they have no solution for them yet. The tech went out on a test drive with me and he noticed the vibes. At this point however, they were at a loss on how to remedy the problems. I was told to be patient and wait for communication from Mazda on any recalls or tsb's that might be issued regarding those problems.

CX-SV
06-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Took mine in last week. They ordered new clips for the seat cushions. They could find no fault in the parts or installation of the hood or mirrors regarding the vibes so they have no solution for them yet. The tech went out on a test drive with me and he noticed the vibes. At this point however, they were at a loss on how to remedy the problems. I was told to be patient and wait for communication from Mazda on any recalls or tsb's that might be issued regarding those problems.

Thanks for the report, that should give some hope to others experiencing the vibes. Sounds like Service department is expecting something from Mazda on the issue, most likely a TSB, not a recall.

Kelme
06-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Maybe is just me (I’m very easygoing) but I think that some people may be exaggerating a little with some of these “issues”. The side mirror thing I don’t know what the big deal is, all I see is some very little vibration and 98% of the time I’m driving looking through the front windshield so you don’t even notice it and there is no noise related to it. The hood well I’ve looked and looked and I can’t see the vibration issue and if it really starts vibrating after 85mph I have other things to worry about than the hood vibrating if I’m driving those speeds around here.

JTNY
06-20-2012, 05:08 PM
My biggest gripe right now is the damn trunk. sometimes I think i have closed it but instead it shows up as having not been closed. I don't want to slam the trunk but at the same time it's very hard to differentiate if the trunk latch is actually locked or not. anyone else having this issue?

EricF
06-20-2012, 05:12 PM
My last vehicle was a $16k Honda Fit. It is what I traded in for the CX-5. No hood or side mirror vibrations, no flimsy front dash panels, no front seat cushions coming out on the Fit. It was far quieter too. For 8k less than I spent on the CX-5, that Honda Fit was built like a tank. No quality issues with it what so ever. You can't gauge the quality of a car by simply comparing prices.

I had the unfortunate experience of driving a honda Fit, and it was hardly "built like a tank". I've had roller skates that had a better build quality. I'll keep an eye out on the test drive when we take delivery of our CX for the issues you mentioned though.

speedtrader
06-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Maybe is just me (I’m very easygoing) but I think that some people may be exaggerating a little with some of these “issues”. The side mirror thing I don’t know what the big deal is, all I see is some very little vibration and 98% of the time I’m driving looking through the front windshield so you don’t even notice it and there is no noise related to it. The hood well I’ve looked and looked and I can’t see the vibration issue and if it really starts vibrating after 85mph I have other things to worry about than the hood vibrating if I’m driving those speeds around here.

I agree. I never noticed the mirror vibe until I read it here. It's not bad enough to bother me. As for the hood, mine does not vibrate.

speedtrader
06-20-2012, 05:43 PM
I had the unfortunate experience of driving a honda Fit, and it was hardly "built like a tank". I've had roller skates that had a better build quality. I'll keep an eye out on the test drive when we take delivery of our CX for the issues you mentioned though.

I'm a Honda fan and I currently own a Civic. However their latest vehicles have major quality issues. I read it in reviews but didn't believe it until I saw it myself. The most obvious is the quality of the interior materials. Just tap on the dash and door panels with your fingers. The plastics sound and feel really cheap. It's one of many reasons I didn't buy a CR-V. The CX-5 is a much higher quality product.

nopalito24
06-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Just got my 2013 CX5 luv it so far...
the only complaints are:

1- the noise when 1 the rear window is down, its actually painful to the ears until you open a second window
2- the plastic handle that brings both the passenger and driver back rest on the seats broke off after the first week. Bad design, metal pegs on the seats to plastic holes on the handle... be prepared as i believe it will continue to happen. My mazda dealership did not have the part so I had to wait a week for it.
I ordered 2 since the passenger side is loose now.

plemieux
06-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Just tap on the dash and door panels with your fingers. The plastics sound and feel really cheap. It's one of many reasons I didn't buy a CR-V. The CX-5 is a much higher quality product.

Other than the soft touch dashboard in the CX-5, the rest of the interior is that exact same hard plastic. doors, console, pillars, rear cargo area, the list goes on...

CX-SV
06-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Other than the soft touch dashboard in the CX-5, the rest of the interior is that exact same hard plastic. doors, console, pillars, etc..

I find my CX-5 (GT model if that makes a difference and maybe it does) to be typical of vehicles in this price range regarding interior quality.

Mine has soft touch dash, soft material on armrest top and side w/red stictching), soft material on console armrest. The use of hard plastics on parts of doors not touched by driver or passengers on a regular basis and hard plastics on pillars are not abnormal even in Mercedes, Lexus, Jags, BMWs, Audis today. Fit and finish of these soft and hard materials is very good. In fact the interior is European in many ways. Is the interior of base models CX-5's that much different possibly?

I can point out a few cost-saving measures taken in the interior compared to premium cars, but that really is not related to this discussion.

plemieux
06-20-2012, 07:11 PM
I have a touring and the armrest top is not at all soft. when you touch it, it does not spring back like the dash does. The way it is textured it appears leather or vinyl but it's the same plastic used in the door panels.

plemieux
06-20-2012, 07:14 PM
The GT must have a padded armrest

CX-SV
06-20-2012, 07:17 PM
I see. I drove a Touring back in March, but don't remember the difference in materials.

plemieux
06-20-2012, 07:20 PM
maybe i should have sprung for the GT...

speedtrader
06-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Other than the soft touch dashboard in the CX-5, the rest of the interior is that exact same hard plastic. doors, console, pillars, rear cargo area, the list goes on...

I have the Sport. Some sections like armrests and top of the door panels are made of a rubberized and textured plastic. There are also sections of the door panels covered with the same fabric as the seats. The new Hondas are made of glossy hard plastic comparable to the cheap Dell keyboard that I'm tapping on right now. Even on the top EX-L trims.

This is not my only complaint of the new hondas. My honda dealer is awesome. I drive 35 miles each way, bypassing 3 other honda dealerships and countless independent shops whenever I need service because they offer the best prices and service quality. But I will never buy an inferior product.

CX_CO
06-22-2012, 02:42 PM
I've only had 3 issues come up:

1 - Steering column rattle that goes away when adjusted all the way in.
- Dealer repaired by tightening up some screws that were pretty loose from the factory.

2 - Vibrating mirror (reported here)
- Dealer stated there is a TSB being generated and should be released in the next 1-2 months.

3 - High pitched mechanical rattle/pinging sound when accelerating. Only seems to happen during moderate acceleration, between 2k-3k RPMs and in 2nd and 3rd gear. The dealer was able to reproduce on my and two vehicles on the lot but isn't sure what's causing it. Tightened up some bolts on the firewall that seems to have helped a little, but it's still there. Corporate is heading out to test the vehicles on the lot so I'm not stuck with a rental while they figure things out. I'll let you know when there is an update on this one.

nyctravis
06-22-2012, 03:39 PM
I do wish the back row/seats were a bit more adjustable (i.e. recline and or sliding front/back) although it's a minor quibble. Not sure how other CUV's are in this area so it might be par for the course.

Also, I know what a TSB is but not sure what it does. Does the issuance of a TSB mean that any fixes are covered automatically at a dealer?

milkyxj
06-22-2012, 03:46 PM
My biggest gripe right now is the damn trunk. sometimes I think i have closed it but instead it shows up as having not been closed. I don't want to slam the trunk but at the same time it's very hard to differentiate if the trunk latch is actually locked or not. anyone else having this issue?

I was having this issue then I read the owner's manual. It says do NOT slam it, pull it down to about 6" away from closed and then push it shut. Closes alot better that way, I was having issues closing it too. My wife's jeep patriot requires a full slam so that's what I was doing out of habit with no success. Also if the back is not fully closed it won't lock so if you're hitting the lock button with no lights flashing check the back liftgate.

Issues I'm having: I get the hood vibration at highway speed (maroon color makes it more noticable I think), side mirrors vibrate some but it doesn't bother me much. Driver's seat cushion near the door is getting folds/wrinkles in the material from me getting in and out of the car, going to mention it to the dealer at the first oil change.

CX-SV
06-22-2012, 03:50 PM
^ Good pointer on the hatchback closing, I should have read it but kind of figured it out in the first few days on my own. Only for the first couple days I had similar issue as JTNY, never again.

CX_CO
06-22-2012, 05:10 PM
I do wish the back row/seats were a bit more adjustable (i.e. recline and or sliding front/back) although it's a minor quibble. Not sure how other CUV's are in this area so it might be par for the course.

Also, I know what a TSB is but not sure what it does. Does the issuance of a TSB mean that any fixes are covered automatically at a dealer?

Issues covered by TSB's will be taken care of by the dealer, but only if you bring it in and they are able to reproduce the problem. My dealer is actually going to give me a call when the TSB is released to come in and repair the mirror which is going above and beyond in my experience.

I've only noticed adjustable rear seats in higher end vehicles (Infiniti FX, etc), but it would definitely have been cool to have. I'm not too worried about it though since my passengers have stated the seats were comfortable and I (hopefully) will never be sitting back there ;-)

CX-SV
06-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes, I expect separate TSB's for both mirror vibe and hood vibe issues.

btw - New 2013 Ford Escape rear seats adjust/recline, I saw how it worked today and would probably rarely use the feature. Mazda rear seat is more comfy because it is higher off the floor or more like chair height.

NoSuchSol
06-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Update on minor issues:
1. Hood vibration is now only apparent when going into a strong head wind
2. Mirror vibration is ongoing, but TSB mentioned above
3. Seat cushion has been repaired - Mazda sent out a new cushion and are now supplying revised clips so expect a proper TSB
4. Wheel balance issue being worked on. 55 is good, 70 still existing
5. Excessive rear brake dust.

Nodnerb
06-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Is this seat cusion problem occuring on both fabric and leather seats?

joepro
06-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Good question. No problems here with leather.

CX_CO
06-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Good question. No problems here with leather.

I second that with the leather. I should probably read back a little, but I'm not even sure what is actually coming off on the seats.

CX-SV
06-23-2012, 12:34 AM
3rd that, no prob w/leather, but let us know what to watch for...

thatwazmysn
06-23-2012, 12:40 AM
If we install Katskin leather on the sport model seats, will the seat problem still be a problem?

Peskeguy
06-23-2012, 01:00 AM
I was driving my buddy around today (first time I actually had a passenger in the CX-5). He's a tall fellow (6ft something), and was stretching out since we were on an extended cruise, when he recoiled rapidly and yelled at me that my car had shocked him.

I was very confused and was like, well don't try to touch whatever you did before. When we arrived at our destination, we looked a little closer underneath the glove box and found that it wasn't that he'd been shocked, but that he touched a RIDICULOUSLY HOT tube that for some reason is present, unprotected, underneath the dash on the passenger side. Check out the red arrows on the attached photo.

I assume these are maybe part of the engine coolant system?? What I don't understand is why it's so easy to touch them. If you sit normally in the passenger seat and stretch out in any reasonable way for a taller person it's not difficult at all to come into contact with these tubes.

This frankly is dangerous. This tubing is really really reeeeally hot. You'll get burned bad if you touch them for even a full second.

Is my car missing some shielding that is present on anyone else's CX-5s? If no, be careful where passengers with bare feet place them under the dash. I'm definitely going to talk to my dealer about this one because it's just begging for someone to be seriously hurt.

lyj111121
06-23-2012, 01:12 AM
I was driving my buddy around today (first time I actually had a passenger in the CX-5). He's a tall fellow (6ft something), and was stretching out since we were on an extended cruise, when he recoiled rapidly and yelled at me that my car had shocked him.

I was very confused and was like, well don't try to touch whatever you did before. When we arrived at our destination, we looked a little closer underneath the glove box and found that it wasn't that he'd been shocked, but that he touched a RIDICULOUSLY HOT tube that for some reason is present, unprotected, underneath the dash on the passenger side. Check out the red arrows on the attached photo.

I assume these are maybe part of the engine coolant system?? What I don't understand is why it's so easy to touch them. If you sit normally in the passenger seat and stretch out in any reasonable way for a taller person it's not difficult at all to come into contact with these tubes.

This frankly is dangerous. This tubing is really really reeeeally hot. You'll get burned bad if you touch them for even a full second.

Is my car missing some shielding that is present on anyone else's CX-5s? If no, be careful where passengers with bare feet place them under the dash. I'm definitely going to talk to my dealer about this one because it's just begging for someone to be seriously hurt.

Good observation! Though I can't see where exactly that locates. Can you provide a broader picture? I may check it later.

CX-SV
06-23-2012, 01:29 AM

Bumping this post up because it has best pic for showing seat problem.

plemieux
06-23-2012, 08:55 AM
it appears to only affect the cloth seats. at least nobody has mentioned this problem with the leather yet.

this flaw appears on both sides of driver and passenger front seats. Back seats are ok.

GAXIBM
06-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Peskeguy It appears that the tubes take hot coolant to the heater part of the climate control, mine are also exposed! I put some soft black foam above the shield to cover mine based on your tip. MAZDA, The plastic shield needs to be LARGER and go to the firewall!!!

Peskeguy
06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Good observation! Though I can't see where exactly that locates. Can you provide a broader picture? I may check it later.

I attached a more zoomed out photo so you can see where I'm looking. This is passenger side under the dash. There's a plastic shield (outlined in yellow) that they put there to try to cover it up, but as you can see in the first photo, it doesn't cover them up at the back end where they run through the firewall.

Peskeguy It appears that the tubes take hot coolant to the heater part of the climate control, mine are also exposed! I put some soft black foam above the shield to cover mine based on your tip. MAZDA, The plastic shield needs to be LARGER and go to the firewall!!!

Thanks Gaxibm, at least I know it's not just me. Yeah they obviously put the shield there in attempt to cover it, but as you say it's not extensive enough protection and it was hot enough that it could definitely hurt someone if they're unlucky enough to touch it.

CCR76
06-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Many cars do this. To avoid it you have to open more windows, sometimes just cracking them open is enough. For any particular window or combination of windows and how far open they are, there will be certain configurations that create the 'inside of a drum' effect and some that won't. You just have to experiment. For the combinations that are painful, as the doctor says, "don't do that." I suspect it would be just about impossible and not worth it to design a car with aerodynamics such that there was never this effect with any permutation of open windows.

cmceleste
06-23-2012, 11:21 PM
I just installed the window guards and it did not help when the fronts are all the way up and the rears are all the way down. They do however reduce the amount of wind flow and reduces volume (to the driver) when you crack the fronts to equalize pressure.
Ill add or start a new thread with pictures on this eventually.

cmceleste
06-23-2012, 11:25 PM
This is exactly what happened to mine (cloth). It takes a bit of force but you can pull the plastic back and re clip these in. Being that I did this twice on the driver side and once on the passenger side, it was easiest when I unclipped the whole bottom cushion. When re-clipping I started nearest the center console moving towards which ever door.
When I enter the car and my leg pushes over on the side support, I always just reach down and make sure that side doesn't start it up again,

Macksma
06-23-2012, 11:52 PM
I'm not sure if I should weigh in on this yet, I've only had my CX-5 for about 2 weeks, but I have not had any hood or mirror vibration. Today I made sure when I was on the freeway to get up to 80mph and leaned up and forward to check out the hood, there was nothing. Then I checked out the side mirror and while there was a tiny bit of movement on the mirror part itself, it was nothing I would have noticed had I not been staring at it for a bit longer than I would in normal driving.

jkiddtx
06-24-2012, 08:03 AM
If we install Katskin leather on the sport model seats, will the seat problem still be a problem?
I don't have the problem with the katzkin leather. No seat issues like the photo.

kampfire
06-24-2012, 10:16 AM
I attached a more zoomed out photo so you can see where I'm looking. This is passenger side under the dash. There's a plastic shield (outlined in yellow) that they put there to try to cover it up, but as you can see in the first photo, it doesn't cover them up at the back end where they run through the firewall.

Thanks Gaxibm, at least I know it's not just me. Yeah they obviously put the shield there in attempt to cover it, but as you say it's not extensive enough protection and it was hot enough that it could definitely hurt someone if they're unlucky enough to touch it.

I'm also tall at 6'3" and almost burned the top of my foot while stretching out.

mr.fusion
06-24-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure if I should weigh in on this yet, I've only had my CX-5 for about 2 weeks, but I have not had any hood or mirror vibration. Today I made sure when I was on the freeway to get up to 80mph and leaned up and forward to check out the hood, there was nothing. Then I checked out the side mirror and while there was a tiny bit of movement on the mirror part itself, it was nothing I would have noticed had I not been staring at it for a bit longer than I would in normal driving.

What I've noticed isn't that bad. On mine, there is a slight vibration in the mirror. It only bothered me when I was trying to figure out what model of car was a quarter mile behind me. It's there, but it's only a "problem" if you have OCD. But if they have a fix for it, that's cool too. Maybe it's a lot worse on some others?

The hood on mine will flex/shake for a second... but only occasionally under pressure from a heavy wind gust, such as passing a truck on a two lane road. 99.9% of the time it just sits there perfectly fine

lyj111121
06-24-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm also tall at 6'3" and almost burned the top of my foot while stretching out.
Thanks for sharing! Any possible solution? I know we can DIY but what about dealer's solution?

stromdriver
06-24-2012, 10:27 AM
washing my car yesterday was scrubbing bugs off pax mirror housing and two small spots of paint came off....

mr.fusion
06-24-2012, 10:29 AM
The booming with the rear windows rolled down is common to many vehicles... as mentioned, don't do that. lol Cracking a front window is usually enough to cure the sonic boom-boom

Goguinness
06-24-2012, 11:39 AM
The wind buffeting is a normal issue in many newer cars. I believe it has to do with aerodynamics. Not sure though. You just need to tilt the sunroof to equalize pressure.

I do not have my CX-5 yet, hopefully this week. On my 2009 Honda Accord I can avoid buffeting by lowering my driver's window to appropriate height, then lowering the rear passenger side window until there is a gentle flow from rear to front. Now as far as all windows down, it's eother a hat or massive amounts of hairspray, but then I'm bald, so..........................

RCASC
06-24-2012, 03:32 PM
I HAVE a CX-5 and do the same thing - and for similar reasons, i keep our 'moon roof' clossed....(canada)

plemieux
06-24-2012, 03:36 PM
For the folks with Moonroofs, do any of you have the deflector?

http://mazdagear.com/moonroof-wind-deflector---cx-5.aspx

http://mazdagear.com/images/products/detail/CX5MoonroofDeflector.jpg

Does it help at all?

jsp
06-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Maybe the problem is worst for others, or gets worst with time. The mirror vibration can be noisy with the window down and no music... If you notice it a little, might as well get it fixed while they are willing to do so.

As for the hood, mine is showing a little bump where the hook is located underneath, if they only need to tighten something up, I don't mind bringing it in.

I am sure that Mazda counts on the first owners of CX-5 to report those problems so they can fix them on next manufactured/future models, it is something I accepted when I went for a brand new model.

JTNY
06-27-2012, 12:56 PM
I have contemplated getting the deflector but I recall on my old acura that it was a pain in the ass when it cames to washing the car. everytime i soap up the car and rinse the deflector would get in the way of hosing everything down.

For the folks with Moonroofs, do any of you have the deflector?

http://mazdagear.com/moonroof-wind-deflector---cx-5.aspx

http://mazdagear.com/images/products/detail/CX5MoonroofDeflector.jpg

Does it help at all?

CX-SV
06-27-2012, 01:29 PM
No way I'm sticking moonroof visor (or side window visors) on my CX-5. Too old school ricer-looking for my taste and unnecessary.

I don't have issues with moonroof, since I don't drive with rear windows open while roof is open. My hair is short so I don't use hairspray.

Dblcorona
06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
First post here. I have the AWD Touring with the Tech Package.

I have the exact same issue with the seat as been posted.
I also have a slight air leak around the right rear door. Similiar to what was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Everything else has been good.

Buffeting happens on lot's of vehicles. It was even in the manuel of our 2010 Jeep Liberty. We have the buffeting in our CX-7 and the 3 I just turned in.

Jonesey
06-27-2012, 08:32 PM
FWIW - I have ZERO vibration issues.

My issue is this: Is it possible to turn on "accessory?" Meaning, can I turn on the radio in the engine is off? If you tell me to RTFM I'd be happy then at least I'd know its possible but as far as I know I cannot turn on the radio unless the ignition is on.

EricF
06-27-2012, 08:52 PM
just press the starter button without your foot on the brake.

dmw
06-27-2012, 09:37 PM

I noticed this in my Touring with the cloth seats. The seat bottom seems very cheap and you can pull it up like that. Since havnig the Katzkin leater seats, it's no longer a problem. :)

Gio26NJ
06-28-2012, 09:07 AM
The carpet really is cheap like everyone says :D I was installing my all weather mats that arrived and as I'm taking the carpeted mats off the clips the whole carpet started coming up along with the hook. But this is a minor thing for me, not like I'm going to be walking back and forth on the carpet lol the OEM wetaher mats are really good quality by the way I paid about $140 for all 4 mats + the cargo tray.

Bus
06-29-2012, 07:15 AM
I thinck i hâve a problem with my cx5. When i Turn my streering wheel left and right - 10kmh my sterring wheel crack. I dont Know this problem?

nizzy1115
06-29-2012, 09:27 AM
I thinck i hâve a problem with my cx5. When i Turn my streering wheel left and right - 10kmh my sterring wheel crack. I dont Know this problem?

What cracks? the steering wheel itself? the steering column? or the suspension/wheels?

Bus
06-29-2012, 09:33 AM
The sterring wheel itself make crak crak

Vorret
06-29-2012, 09:41 AM
t'es tu Français? Je comprend pas ce que t'essayes de dire et je pense pas que les autres comprennent non plus. Essayes-toi en francais voir :P

Bus
06-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Le volant crak quand je tourne à basse vitesse. Mes juste le volant. J'ai appeller mon dealer et ils vont le cheker mardi matin.

joeatmazda5
06-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Just got my 2013 CX5 luv it so far...
the only complaints are:

1- the noise when 1 the rear window is down, its actually painful to the ears until you open a second window
2- the plastic handle that brings both the passenger and driver back rest on the seats broke off after the first week. Bad design, metal pegs on the seats to plastic holes on the handle... be prepared as i believe it will continue to happen. My mazda dealership did not have the part so I had to wait a week for it.
I ordered 2 since the passenger side is loose now.

Yes I agree with 1, it was a bad noise.

joeatmazda5
06-29-2012, 05:11 PM
I agree, have the same problem. Also if I am seeing things right the Red icon indicator is the same for the trunk or the doors.

plemieux
06-30-2012, 08:37 AM
I agree, have the same problem. Also if I am seeing things right the Red icon indicator is the same for the trunk or the doors.

My wife's 2012 Focus has an door open indicator that shows a picture of the car in the instrument panel and it shows which door or hood or trunk is open. It's pretty cool. Wish the CX-5 had something like that instead of the generic red light.

nycx5
06-30-2012, 01:16 PM
My wife's 2012 Focus has an door open indicator that shows a picture of the car in the instrument panel and it shows which door or hood or trunk is open. It's pretty cool. Wish the CX-5 had something like that instead of the generic red light.

I rather have the generic red light over the 11 times i had to bring my 2012 Ford Focus to the dealership for problems that could not or Ford would not fix. Thats why i traded it in for the 2013 mazda CX5. Loving every minute of it................................

Keanman
06-30-2012, 04:29 PM
I have so many problems with this CX-5 I don't even know where to start. I guess we should start chronologically. 4 days after taking possession of our new CX-5 GX, the cargo door stops working. I unlocked the doors and pushed the button and nadda. I brought it back to Mazda on Monday. The next day I call to see how things are going and they say they can't fix the issue until Mazda Canada does the diagnostic themselves. They proceed to tell me I can expect the same delay any time the vehicle goes into the shop for the next 10-12 months. Well that certainly wasn't in the sales pitch when they promoted the latest and greatest. Moving on. 5 days later I get it back and the work order says the rear latch was replaced due to "corrosion". I decided to go to Mazda and demand a new vehicle fearing what else could be wrong if there is corrosion damage 4 days in. The sales manager literally laughed in my face and said he would take it back at trade in value. Fair enough, that comment just lost Mazda any future sales from our family. We took the vehicle back and now we are noticing that there is a hop in the suspension in the front passenger side. I have taken it back to Mazda a number of times and they keep saying it drives just like the demo. I have driven the demo and it certainly doesn't have the same hop. They also say it may be the fact that you can feel the road more in this vehicle. If that is the case my question is, why do I feel the passenger side of the road hopping around and the driver side does not hop at all?

I am also noticing that the dual exhaust seems to be constantly black despite me cleaning it every couple of days. I am not sure if this is normal for the CX-5 but the only other time I have seen build up on an exhaust this thick in such a short period of time, is on my friends 1999 Prelude that burns oil like it's going out of style. Anyone else notice this on their CX-5?

My last complaint is my fault but I feel that I was misled. I thought the rims that came on our GX were "17 inch alloy" (as described on the hand out from Mazda as well as the Mazda website). Not knowing a whole lot about rims, I noticed a few days ago while browsing ebay that they are actually 17" steel rims and you have to upgrade to the convenience package to get the alloys. If that is the case why does it say "17 inch alloy" for a base GX on 2 different pieces of documentation provided directly by Mazda?

That's my experience so far. Based on this information I would not recommend buying the CX-5 for anyone. It is nothing against Mazda as we previously owned a 2007 3 and have nothing but amazing things to say about it.

P.S. Did anybody else notice there is a carpet material that looks like it would be great at holding moister in the rear wheel wells? What's up with that stuff?

EricF
06-30-2012, 04:43 PM
P.S. Did anybody else notice there is a carpet material that looks like it would be great at holding moister in the rear wheel wells? What's up with that stuff?

Sorry about your experience. I haven't noticed the black exhaust issue on ours. As far as the carpet stuff in the wheel wells, a lot of cars have that. It started in luxury cars a while back and has trickled down to the eco-boxes. It helps with road noise, and rocks being kicked up into the wheel wells. Our old acura had it, and it doesn't hold moisture in, or get moldy, or anything else.

Antonio DiMarco
06-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Sorry that does so like a whole lot of issues. Sounds like 2 or three small issues. This is why you have a warranty. Cars are made of thousands of parts and there is always a chance that one of those parts may have an issue. The corrosion on the latch is probably a parts supplier issue. It doesn't mean that the rest of the car is going to rust. The hopping could be a bad strut, which should be replaced.

Bottom line IMO sounds like the dealer is more of an issue than the car. Try to keep things in perspective stuff happens to all cars, it's just the law of averages.

mike786
06-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Hello i have a black grand touring without the tech package.

When i got my car i noticed when im on the freeway or even fast city driving (40 mph +) my drivers side mirror was shaking rapidly! And as time went on it got worse and worse while my right mirror was COMPLETELY still and perfect, and when i played music (volume 20+) it would shake even more! I was not happy with this problem because visibility was not clear when trying to change lanes. I took it back to the dealer i bought it from and he test drove my car an told me it was just NORMAL. Bullshit this is not normal! He took me on a test drive with another CX-5 on their lot and it was doing the same thing. I was very angry because they wouldn't fix the problem claiming it was normal! I took it again to the dealer thats closer to me and they looked at it, and said okay we saw the problem and ordered me a new mirror. 3-5 days the part came and it was installed in a couple hours.

Just got my car back yesterday from the dealer and I'm still noticing that the mirror is shaking even this new one that they have installed! Its certainly not as bad as my previous mirror but it is shaking alot when im driving over 45mph and i have my music on too as well so its even worse! I have no idea why mazda has these bad parts! MY RIGHT SIDE MIRROR IS PERFECT NO MATTER HOW FAST IM GOING OR HOW LOUD MY MUSIC IS ... ITS PERFECTLY STILL....

Is anybody else having this problem? What do you think i should do now?

Nodnerb
06-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Hello i have a black grand touring without the tech package.

When i got my car i noticed when im on the freeway or even fast city driving (40 mph +) my drivers side mirror was shaking rapidly! And as time went on it got worse and worse while my right mirror was COMPLETELY still and perfect, and when i played music (volume 20+) it would shake even more! I was not happy with this problem because visibility was not clear when trying to change lanes. I took it back to the dealer i bought it from and he test drove my car an told me it was just NORMAL. Bullshit this is not normal! He took me on a test drive with another CX-5 on their lot and it was doing the same thing. I was very angry because they wouldn't fix the problem claiming it was normal! I took it again to the dealer thats closer to me and they looked at it, and said okay we saw the problem and ordered me a new mirror. 3-5 days the part came and it was installed in a couple hours.

Just got my car back yesterday from the dealer and I'm still noticing that the mirror is shaking even this new one that they have installed! Its certainly not as bad as my previous mirror but it is shaking alot when im driving over 45mph and i have my music on too as well so its even worse! I have no idea why mazda has these bad parts! MY RIGHT SIDE MIRROR IS PERFECT NO MATTER HOW FAST IM GOING OR HOW LOUD MY MUSIC IS ... ITS PERFECTLY STILL....

Is anybody else having this problem? What do you think i should do now?

A lot of people are complaining about the mirror vibration. It doesnt bother me all that much though personally. Im not sure that the passenger mirror is any better. It just isnt as noticable because you are much further from it. The further you are away the less it will appear to vibrate. I havent been a passenger in my cx5 yet though. I like to drive it. :)

plemieux
07-01-2012, 08:44 AM
I have so many problems with this CX-5 I don't even know where to start.

Based on this information I would not recommend buying the CX-5 for anyone. It is nothing against Mazda as we previously owned a 2007 3 and have nothing but amazing things to say about it.

Welcome to my world.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a hail storm comes through and insurance totals my CX-5.

I'm ready to leave this car behind and get into something else.

thatwazmysn
07-01-2012, 09:48 AM
I read this entire thread and it seems like there are a lot of small problems with this vehicle. There's actually too many for my liking. I will wait for the 2014 model. Hopefully it will come out early next year and fix a few of the problems without raising the price too much.

Velodog2
07-01-2012, 11:05 AM
I read this entire thread and it seems like there are a lot of small problems with this vehicle. There's actually too many for my liking. I will wait for the 2014 model. Hopefully it will come out early next year and fix a few of the problems without raising the price too much.

Lol this is what u get when u read a post asking for complaints. You can find similar threads on bulletin boards for even the most highly regarded products, such as those from Apple. Incidentally, I think the exact reason Apple is so wildly successful is because their products stand out in a world of lowered expectations and 'beta' products (poorly designed, tested, and rushed to market - ie half-baked). Mazda is breaking some new ground here with design innovations in the body and engine which make buying this vehicle a little bit of a risk long term perhaps. If anyone wants a little less risk, although not necessarily better design or quality, buy a Honda or Toyota. You will be bored to tears, bit that's what life is like without risk ...

Nodnerb
07-01-2012, 12:03 PM
I agree. I think if a mirror that vibrates at speed is the most widespread worst problem so far, which has a tsb in the works, thats pretty damn good. Every car has its minor problems and most have some major problems. Most of them far worse than the cx5 so far. Every manufacturer and model of car has a forum full of various issues. But the few unhappy people so far seem to be having dealer issues and they are blaming the car instead.

That is of course negating the major issues making this car a pos like over inflated tires and under filled washer fluid. *sarcasm*

pauly69
07-01-2012, 12:21 PM
I also agree. I haven't really heard any big problems yet (IMO), even on this thread. To decide based on what is in here (and remember these are still very early delivery examples) that the car is generally a lemon and should be avoided is an overreaction to say the least. Is mine perfect? No. I have a steering issue affecting power steer, AFS, i-stop, reverse camera. Will they fix it? Yes! Do I wish I had bought something else? Absolutely not. I think it is a worthwhile thread to point out and spot defect trends, but to dismiss the car outright based on what is in this thread just means you're missing out on a great car.

I wish you guys could experience the diesel option, it would help you overcome your doubts a lot easier ;)

Keanman
07-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Sorry that does so like a whole lot of issues. Sounds like 2 or three small issues. This is why you have a warranty. Cars are made of thousands of parts and there is always a chance that one of those parts may have an issue. The corrosion on the latch is probably a parts supplier issue. It doesn't mean that the rest of the car is going to rust. The hopping could be a bad strut, which should be replaced.

Bottom line IMO sounds like the dealer is more of an issue than the car. Try to keep things in perspective stuff happens to all cars, it's just the law of averages.

The vehicle does have warranty, but that doesn't help me sleep any easier at night knowing I may very well have bought a nearly $40k lemon. It also doesn't help me in 3 years time when Mazda's pathetic warranty expires.

While I agree with you that some of my issues stem from my terrible sales manager, the extra 3-5 days fix time for the next 10-12 months is due to Mazda Canada. It may not be a problem for most people, but so far it has been a major inconvenience for my family. You may also be right about the corroded part being a part supplier issue but I have my doubts. I used to deal with ordering parts for machinery on a daily basis and while it wasn't uncommon for a part to arrive broken or faulty, I never once got a brand new part for a brand new machine that was corroded. A 4 days old vehicle should not have corrosion damage period.

Bottom line is when I buy a new vehicle, I expect to be wowed like I was with my 3. So far the only feeling I have for this CX-5 is disappointment. The triviality of my issues will not change that.

edwardzik
07-01-2012, 01:44 PM
The vehicle does have warranty, but that doesn't help me sleep any easier at night knowing I may very well have bought a nearly $40k lemon.

It also doesn't help me in 3 years time when Mazda's pathetic warranty expires.

While I agree with you that some of my issues stem from my terrible sales manager, the extra 3-5 days fix time for the next 10-12 months is due to Mazda Canada. It may not be a problem for most people, but so far it has been a major inconvenience for my family. You may also be right about the corroded part being a part supplier issue but I have my doubts. I used to deal with ordering parts for machinery on a daily basis and while it wasn't uncommon for a part to arrive broken or faulty, I never once got a brand new part for a brand new machine that was corroded. A 4 days old vehicle should not have corrosion damage period.

Bottom line is when I buy a new vehicle, I expect to be wowed like I was with my 3. So far the only feeling I have for this CX-5 is disappointment. The triviality of my issues will not change that.

What is so pathetic about Mazda`s warranty comparing to Honda`s or Toyota`s for example?
You can always buy extandet warranty if you can`t sleep at night

DougNuts
07-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Wow, lots of complaints in this thread.

A few issues I can chime in on:

1) The headrests are becoming a common complaint among new car buyers. Some people have slightly bent the posts to give an extra bit of room.
2) Fluttering hoods - this will become more common as we get closer to 2016. Car makers are under a lot of pressure to get better mileage and one of the best ways to do that is using thinner/lighter materials. My company car is a '11 Toyota Highlander and it's hood flutters at high speeds, particularly when heading into the wind. It is not likely that Mazda will redesign anything to rectify this.
3) Rear windows down (only) makes eardrums hurt - as mentioned, this is another very common trait across many new(er) cars - it's due to aerodynamics. My '07 Accord also did it. If you slightly crack one of the front windows, it will likely go away.

SilverBulletES
07-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Every car I've ever owned makes a boom-boom noise when you lower rear windows by themselves. It's just physics.

These sound like very minor problems. Try owning a German car over 12 years old. Not to get political, but a lot of the fluttering sheet metal things are the result of letting a nanny state government to make decisions rather than automotive engineers. There's no fixing that. Every car on the round could have the vault-like build quality of a W124 (late 80's early 90's) Mercedes if we weren't such unrealistic babies and asked for 18 airbags, 14 different kinds of traction-stability-etc-control and a fleet average of 46 mpg.