6spd AWD Diesel available in Ireland

reggie5

:
cx5,6sp, Sky-Active Blue
Just did some digging on the www.mazda.ie website. (don't ask how I ended up there)

If you look at the specs in the summary it shows 175 hp, 420 ft/lbs, and a 0-100 of 8.8secs.

I would have loved this model if it was in Canada but sadly no.

Is this the only country where it is available or did only North America not get this model??

We have two Diesel models in Australia. I have the Diesel GT with Tech Pack (6 speed auto) and love it!

The Diesels are available in all markets except North America. Sorry Canada... I think Mazda USA's influence has ensured a Diesel doesn't land in your back yard either.

Meanwhile the manual Diesels are only available in selected European markets. The UK for example has a requirement for manual due to the high percentage of manual drivers.

As far as options go, the Europeans markets have the pick of everything. The North American market appears to be at the other end of the scale.
That said, with lesser options (which we would nickname the "povery packs"), the pricing in North America remains well below every other market.

From what I've read, I'm expecting a diesel CX-5 in US in early 2013. Maybe in Canada about the same time. I don't have high hopes for a manual tranny version.

Certainly VW has done well (high growth, high take rate) with diesel offerings in US market in last couple of years.

Last edited:
Old news, that's why the stringent regs (CA and Euro 6 being specific examples).

From what I've read, I'm expecting a diesel CX-5 in US in early 2013. Maybe in Canada about the same time. I don't have high hopes for a manual tranny version.

Certainly VW has done well (high growth, high take rate) with diesel offerings in US market in last couple of years.
Are they going to sell a newer 6mt gas version in early 2013 too? I don't need a new car at this moment, and I can wait until Feb/March of 2013 to get one if they are going to make some tweaks to the current version.

Also, VW offers 6mt diesels in the US with sunroof and other cool features. Too bad they're all sedans. Otherwise, I would buy one right now.

If I eat too many bananas, I will get cancer. The study was based on those who are always around a high amount of diesel (truck drivers, railway workers, miners). Also, these engines are much bigger than the ones used in cars.

I don't think this will impact diesel sales.

Don't be so naif. This "study" is opening all tv news, papers, radio debates, etcetera in France and Spain, and as I see all over the World.
It is the first step to influence the opinion, to make gulty and "criminals" to all diesel engines user, mostly private cars. It is a world size campaign. In a very short time taxes will be imposed to these cars, prices at station raised, areas in cities forbidden, and so on. And the people will be happy with that.

Nevertheless the "study" is done by the same "experts" predicted the death of millions os people by the H5N1 virus. Never happend but milllions was expended in vaccinations ans some people become richer.

Do not care, in spain we are trading the diesel by a natural energy:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18408448

I drove both the petrol and diesel before purchasing my Cx5 - the Diesel is a significantly better engine, really quite and smooth, loads of torque and even better fuel economy. If the diesel is not available in your country you are unlucky because however good you think the petrol CX5 is, the diesel takes the CX5 to another level.

If Mazda brings the Diesel to USA I will be the first one to purchase! no diesel no $ Mazda, come on please bring us something better than the 2.0!..

84Rabbit.jpg

If VW can do it (in the USA).... TDI Jetta / Golf, etc.... then why can't Mazda get the diesel here ???

I still drive my 1984 VW Diesel Rabbit...... (and my new CX-5 petrol Mazda )

My dealer wouldn't let me drive the petrol demonstrator he had because he thought I might be disappointed! He made me wait for a diesel to arrive.
IMO, a CUV needs either a powerful petrol (e.g. the VW turbo unit > 200 hp) or a decent torquey diesel. The point being it needs to feel relaxed / effortless - these aren't sports cars ;)

I drove both the petrol and diesel before purchasing my Cx5 - the Diesel is a significantly better engine, really quite and smooth, loads of torque and even better fuel economy. If the diesel is not available in your country you are unlucky because however good you think the petrol CX5 is, the diesel takes the CX5 to another level.

Hi buddy, a quick comment on this. This is not entirely true due to some markets getting the reduced 2.2 Diesel Engine. Norway for example (due to ridiculous taxation) only get the 150hp version, not 175hp. I'll grant the torque is higher on the 150, but in terms of speed and acceleration they are pretty close.(150 Diesel vs 160/165 Gas). Just thought it worth pointing out.

Don't be so naif. This "study" is opening all tv news, papers, radio debates, etcetera in France and Spain, and as I see all over the World.
It is the first step to influence the opinion, to make gulty and "criminals" to all diesel engines user, mostly private cars. It is a world size campaign. In a very short time taxes will be imposed to these cars, prices at station raised, areas in cities forbidden, and so on. And the people will be happy with that.

Nevertheless the "study" is done by the same "experts" predicted the death of millions os people by the H5N1 virus. Never happend but milllions was expended in vaccinations ans some people become richer.

Do not care, in spain we are trading the diesel by a natural energy:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18408448

Forbidden areas for Diesels are already in place. Municipal authorities in Norway (like Oslo) can now outlaw Diesel cars on selected days/weeks of the year due to high levels of NOX in the air. One of the main reasons I went with the gas, though id love the 175 hp diesel which is not available in Norway, only the 150. I really didn't look forward to paying 450 000NOK (75 000$) for a car and having to take the bus to work if NOX levels are to high in the winter.

Anyone who knows a Mazda dealer mechanic should be able to tell when they are coming to the US. That engine is going to require some training to service and logistically, they will have to get the dealers up to speed before they can sell the vehicle. I don't know how much training will be need, but it probably will require some time

All,

Any Mazda mechanics on the forum to confirm that the Diesel version is coming to US?
Thanks!

All,

Any Mazda mechanics on the forum to confirm that the Diesel version is coming to US?
Thanks!

If any Mazda mechanics get's a formation for diesel motor he will probably have some legal paper to sign, so he doesn't divulgate any information about it.

If i was Mazda i wouldn't want people to know, if and specially when the diesel will arrive in north america. I know for myself, if i knew exactly when they will arrive i would of wait for the diesel.

I live in "Paris" for 2 year's and let me tell you how much fun those torquey diesel are. I had a 2003 golf 1.9 tdi with 150hp and 245 tq that thing could fly, they dont smell bad, dont make that much more noise and have excellent milleage.

I will probably exchange my 2.0 when they come out.

Edit: Sorry for my english im french canadian.......lol

Last edited:
Back