Start and go.

rdscx5

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
I didn't realize that the vehicle had a cold start emissions period until after a little invetigation. Had the vehicle for a few days and until recently would just get in and start and go. Will putting it into gear and going before the engine rev subsides hurt it?

In all the vehicles I've driven, I always let the engine stabilize before driving off. My Mazda CX7 turbo likes to rev to ~ 2,000 rpm to heat up the catalytic converter and I let it do it thing until the idle drops to under 1,000 before driving off. Saves the AT too. The extra 15-30 seconds is not a big deal IMO.. Ed

Mazda sent a news letter about the car to owners with some information about this and explained the process of the startup. They also specifically said that while the startup process takes 30 seconds to happen that there is no harm in driving right after turning the car on.

Here it is from the email.

Skyactiv Technology Tips

Have you noticed that your engine sounds different on some cold mornings? If so, you're hearing a unique piece of SKYACTIV combustion technology at work. The Accelerated Warm up System (AWS) uses higher engine RPM (about 1500 rpm) and a different combustion process to quickly warm up the catalyst for cleaner exhaust emissions. Listen closely and you can hear the engine sound get quieter and the RPM drop when the catalyst is up to temperature (this takes less than 30 seconds after a cold start).

NOTE: You don't need to wait for this warm up process before driving.

Last edited:
I appreciate your response. I had just bought it this week and have been going through the manual. I'm looking forward to getting some insight about Mazda's and the CX 5 in particular on the forum as I have never owned one. This forum is actually recomended by Mazda and now I see why. Again thanks for the help.

Back