Some CX-5s are being delayed because of leaking engine mount

amagar

Our CX-5 was supposed to be in last week. That was bumped until this week. And now dealer forwarded a message from Joe Marchese of Mazda USA that includes a short list of other CX-5s delayed for the same repair.

Here is pertinent text from Marchese forward:
See attached message regarding your CX5s currently on hold, we are fixing asap and all units are marked HOT. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Below is a list of the remaining CX5s that are on hold in TA for a leaking engine mount. TA is expecting parts early this week with hopes to get all of these cars out by the end of the week. These cars have all been marked hot and will be prioritized as soon as parts arrive. I will let you know if anything changes.

Can any of you interpret a bit? What is "TA"? Also, anything leaking sounds awful to me and when you couple leaking with the word "engine," my face goes white. Leaking engine mount? Could this be a chronic problem? And how is something like that caught before vehicle even reaches dealer??

Meanwhile, our dealer told us in the email attached to this that she has had 14-16 dealers calling her trying to get our CX-5, some calling more than once. It's a white AWD GT with technology package. I wonder how many will want it when they know it's already been repaired

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but this isn't a huge deal to be worried about. Basically an engine mount looks like this:

http://www.philusher.com/Focus/StockRearEngineMountWeb.JPG

It basically is a rubber mount that is hollow and filled with oil inside. It acts as a cushion to your car to prevent you from feeling the engine shake. It is a wearable part meaning they don't last forever. When they wear/break the oil can leak out and the cushioning affect doesn't really happen and you feel the car vibrate more. It was probably a poor quality control on the error of the parts supplier for these mounts. Nothing to be worried about seeing as they will make sure the new ones are perfect.

The picture you show is a roll restrictor. There is no fluid inside that mount. The mount they are talking about is on the passenger side of the vehicle. The fluid inside is glycol (antifreeze basically). I'm very familiar with engine mounts as I design them for a living. They will likely find out what date code of parts were affected and then pull back those vehicles and replace the mount on those vehicles. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

You can see the mount in the picture below.

lead5-2013-mazda-cx-5-qs.jpg

It is the silver aluminum bracket just the right of the washer reservoir.

Thanks for responses

You've eased my mind a bit...and I could see how this could happen in most any car production.

This is our first Mazda. And this is the first time we ever bought a new model coming out of the gate...so a bit more nerves, I guess.

Thanks kampfire for the clarification on engine mount.

If our CX-5 developed a leaking mount, would the vibration be obvious?

Theres usually 2-3 engine mounts, and its hard to say if you will immediately notice them going bad but I would say you should experience moderate or increased cabin vibration.

Thanks kampfire for the clarification on engine mount.

If our CX-5 developed a leaking mount, would the vibration be obvious?

I wonder how many will want it when they know it's already been repaired

This happens all of the time in the field, probably most cars in production have went through a lot rework at some point. A lot of cars go through rework before they even leave the plant! (whistle)

Last edited:
Theres usually 2-3 engine mounts, and its hard to say if you will immediately notice them going bad but I would say you should experience moderate or increased cabin vibration.

Actually if the mount does leak you'll experience smoother idle performance. (I'm assuming the leak is not from the support rubber of the mount and from a seal) However you'll get more hard thump noises while driving due to the engine moving and the engine mount not being able to damp the motion.

Back