Is the 2013 CX5 going to be a "one year" hit?

thegrapeguy

:
2013 Mazda CX5 GT
This car has something going on that no other car has got right now. Maybe it's that neat body curve/indent and sport styling from the side view or the rear spoiler mixed with the bold front end. And not to mention the fuel economy...

I just got a rocking Silver GT AWD and can honestly say without bias (since I find the cup half full in any new car) that it stands out like a sore thumb amongst all the cars in a crowded parking lot at my local WalMart, Wegman's Grocery, and Eastern Mountain Sports.

When I say sore thumb I mean it glistens with style and though small reeks of class and sport.

My fear is that when the diesel comes out and offers more pep and fuel economy that it will be pass. Also what if another crossover churns up the style next year? What if Mazda tweaks the gas engine for more power? I mean if I'm Mazda I'm all over tweaking this car to perfect it's cache.

Then what happens to my 2013? Is it hot now but a slow sporty crossover next year?

My trade in was a 2010 Honda Odyssey. I was spending too much on gas and the monthly payment but that car is timeless. What was I thinking?

My bet, the diesel version will be in the 28K range and the fact diesel fuel is $0.40/gallon more then 87 octane will not likely make it instant hit. The fuel economy of the diesel arent jaw dropping, just moddest but I dont think the ROI over the stock makes any economical sense. CX-5 is meant to be a CUV with fuel economy and still some driving excitement in mind. Now if the diesel comes in availability in the 6SPD manual and Sport base with price around $23K, I will trade in my CX-5 :)

My bet, the diesel version will be in the 28K range and the fact diesel fuel is $0.40/gallon more then 87 octane will not likely make it instant hit. The fuel economy of the diesel arent jaw dropping, just moddest but I dont think the ROI over the stock makes any economical sense. CX-5 is meant to be a CUV with fuel economy and still some driving excitement in mind. Now if the diesel comes in availability in the 6SPD manual and Sport base with price around $23K, I will trade in my CX-5 :)

6speed manual sport diesel cx-5...I would pay 25k. Too bad I'm dreaming again.

Not likely to be flavor of month, like Hummer H3.

There's always going to be something a little bit better around the corner. Cars are constantly improving. If you waiting a year and bought a CX-5 with improvement X, you'd just be unhappy when the full redesign came out, or when upgrade Z was applied in the next model year.

My trade in was a 2010 Honda Odyssey. I was spending too much on gas and the monthly payment but that car is timeless. What was I thinking?

It's timeless because Honda rarely updated the exterior. But the drive of the Odyssey was well in the past.
I drove it and couldn't wait to get out of the thing.

I might be referring to a different Odyssey though.

Our Odyssey is the international one and looks like this:
bcg_banner-home.jpg

honda-odyssey_600-600x400.jpg

The US one varies to the rest of the world, and looks even *more* dated than the international.

exterior-header.jpg

Last edited:
Woah woah woah I missed the part where the Odyssey was called timeless.

I guess a boulder is also timeless but I wouldn't want to drive one.

The Odyssey from Japan looks great. In the U.S., not so much.

Diesel is not widely adopted due to the high diesel price in the U.S.

The upcoming new designs in small crossovers will be Toyota Rav4 and Nissan Rogue. Nissan's design and use of CVT turns me off. Toyota's Rav4 will likely be soft and conservative.

I think the CX-5 will still look fresh 8-10 years from now. The exterior and tasteful interior design will stand the test of time. Yeah, there might be a diesel, or even a turbo or supercharger, but I wouldn't bet on it.

A couple of years ago, I was considering a Forester, but I was thinking the 5 speed manual would soon be replaced by a 6 speed like the WRX, or the 4 speed auto from the 1990s would be upgraded to a modern tranny. The engine would be getting direct injection to increase power and economy. The Forester forum was sure these upgrades were needed, and just around the corner. Well, two years later, everyone is still waiting. The Subaru BRZ got all this stuff, but not the volume leaders of the brand. Maybe these will trickle down to their other cars.

You can't base decisions on speculation no matter how good it sounds. With that said, I'm holding out for the flux capacitor drive. I hear it will use water/vinegar solution for its fuel source.

Timeless as far as minivans go. Did you think I was comparing the Odyssey to the CX5? IMO the Honda Odyssey is the cream of the crop as far as minivans go. The public thinks that too as evidenced by the continued purchasing of that car. I also feel the CX5 is the top of the heap as far as Crossovers go and that's only after one vintage. My point was that I'm not so sure that the CX5 could have a run like the Odyssey.

No need for a run like Odessey to have CX-5 be successful, it's not advised.

Woah woah woah I missed the part where the Odyssey was called timeless.

I guess a boulder is also timeless but I wouldn't want to drive one.

Agreed. You didn't miss a thing, especially in a thread about CX-5.

Timeless as far as minivans go. Did you think I was comparing the Odyssey to the CX5? IMO the Honda Odyssey is the cream of the crop as far as minivans go. The public thinks that too as evidenced by the continued purchasing of that car. I also feel the CX5 is the top of the heap as far as Crossovers go and that's only after one vintage. My point was that I'm not so sure that the CX5 could have a run like the Odyssey.

Mazda will probably never sell half as many CX-5s in a year as Honda does CRVs. Heck, maybe not even a quarter, ever. You'll at least feel fairly unique in the CUV world, no matter what ;)

I wanted an Odyssey for ages. The design (as per photo above), has been ahead of its time. It's only now starting to get old. But performance is lagging well behind the CX-5.

You can stand on a corner in Sydney and see a bunch of nice cars. But few will catch the eye.

Just stood on corner 10 minutes ago. Ferrari California - caught my eye. Lamboghini Aventendor - caught my eye.
Then without noticing what it was, saw a Mazda CX-5 and thought... "that's nice.... oh I have one of those".

And the sales speak for themselves.
In 3 weeks of Australia sales, Mazda has sold the number of Odyssey's, Honda expect to sell for the whole year.

I was driving the CX-5 and was 2 miles from home last Thursday and I saw a super sleek sport sedan, at first glance I thought it was a Masseratti sedan of some sort except it looked way too good. I almost did a U-turn to get a better look, then I realized it was a Tesla Model S sedan. By far this caught my eye more than any car so far this year, with Lambo's, Bentleys, Rolls seeming so common.

Back