PDA

View Full Version : First CX-5 Transmission Has Been Replaced

fusion360
05-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Hi all! New CX-5 and new to the forum. Wanted to share my experience with everyone.

At 550 miles (3 days of owning the car), my tranny started to slip. Anytime I shifted into Drive from Park, Reverse or Neutral, it took about 1.5 seconds for 1st gear to engage. I had a couple of violent starts because of that the RPMs would rise to 3500 and then the tranny caught.

Immediately, I contacted my dealer and dropped off the car to have them inspect it. They provided me with a rental for the duration of the repair. After a day, they contacted me saying Mazda USA wanted to replace the transmission; it was the first one to be replaced in the country.

It took 1 week to have the tranny shipped, replaced and road tested. Since then, I have put 1000 miles on her with no tranny issues.

Although the dealership and Mazda USA has been good about keeping me updated throughout the process, my confidence in their product has taken a serious hit. This is my first Mazda and after doing a lot of research and talking to many people praising their reliability, Im left wondering what, if anything, will happen next.

The folks at headquarters have offered to pay 1 monthly payment. But I kindly turned them down and asked them to give me an extended warranty through Mazda USA for my peace of mind. Plus, I want Mazda to stand by their product and make me believe I made the right choice in purchasing the CX-5.

They said, I'm terribly sorry to keep you waiting. I unfortunately have some mixed news for you. Mazda would like to provide you with our upcoming extended warranty. The bad news is that I have not been able to produce an ETA as to when this program will be announced/assigned to your Mazda CX-5. At this point I know it will be during the summer. Please accept my apology for the current lack of information. I assure you we are close to knowing when the program will be issued.

Anyone know if they are blowing smoke and does anyone think I made the right choice in asking for an extended warranty? Thanks!

Phratt
05-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Hi,

Here in Canada - I've been offered an extended warranty when I purchased the CX-5...

Phratt

GAXIBM
05-02-2012, 11:18 PM
My experience buying a Masda 3 Skyactive with an extended warranty would support the story you have related. The local Mazda dealer was part of the Penski dealerships and wanted to sell me their warranty (their are a lot of 3rd part offerings) but I insisted on one that had the Mazda name on it. In late November 2011 they showed me an email from Mazda that indicated Mazda was going to stop the current relationship with the warranty company they were using and were developing a new offering... My belief is Mazda puts their name on it but the actual warranty (really an insurance policy) is administered by a warranty company under contract but requires a Mazda dealership do the work. At the end of the year the exteded warranty offering was taken off the US website and has yet to return which also supports this story...

inodes
05-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Mazda have an excellent track record. The Japanese are particularly tough on themselves to make sure a product is at the highest, most consistent quality standard.

But every manufacturer and model will have a couple of exceptions to the rule.

Being a brand new model, with very few components sourced from previous models means that the CX-5 is a testing ground. The transmission is new and untested in any other model.

Reminds me of something that occurred in the aviation world.
The brand new A380 has 4 x Rolls Royce engines that are untested on any other aircraft model. They were tested to aviation standards (which are extremely high - much higher than automotive standards).

Rolls Royce found a fault with an oil pipe in the engine that was no large than the size of ones palm. They started to replace the part on all aircraft with their engines.

Qantas had all of their aircraft retrofitted, except for one. This "one" aircraft was due for the fix, but the part failed a week prior.
See videos (4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGiITFlaafI

The incident was found to be Rolls Royce's fault. The repair was about $200 million - the most expensive in aviation history.
It occurred on 4th November 2010, but the aircraft had its first flight since then only last week.

So even with the very strictest of standards.... sh*t happens.

That said, I hope that your old transmission proves to be fault free.

Lando
05-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Sorry to hear about the tranny and glad you are back in your car. I gotta say I'm really impressed with Mazda's response. If this were VW, you would still be waiting for a guy with a German accent to call you and tell you when the part will be shipped.

I had a 1990 Nissan pickup that had an valve train failure at 4000 miles, and they had the car for a month. Meanwhile, they loaned me a Pontiac Grand Am (the driver side window fell down inside the door a few hours after taking possession). When I finally got my truck back, like you, I was very concerned about the build quality.

I think Mazda did great so far. Let's see how the new tranny works out. The CX-5 is a very important turning point for Mazda. This new tech has to be successful to get them back in the game, especially with the increased competition from the South Korean auto industry. They cannot afford to drop the ball. Please keep us posted.

PS. It turned out that my Nissan truck engine had a curly piece of aluminum that had been left over during the machining process. It had swam around in the oil and finally been sucked up into the hydraulic valve adjusting system oil passage. This had caused the valve rocker arms to get very slack and beat the hell out of themselves. Nissan replaced the entire valve train only to start the engine up and have the arms destroy themselves again. That's when they tore the engine down and discovered the cork screw shaped piece of aluminum blocking the oil passage. The happy ending, if I may use that phrase in mixed company, was that the engine ran fantastically for another 40k miles before I sold the truck. The engine had received a free retorquing of every bolt after 4000 miles of shakedown, a true blessing in disguise.

GAXIBM
05-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Inodes, If you check the specfications I think you will find that the Skyactive G and transmissions have been on the Mazda 3 since November 2011 as my daughter has been driving one that works very well after six months. I think all the ratios for the gears are the same for the auto but they revised the manual to give it a wider gear ratio for the CX-5 which is probabably why the mileage flipped from being better on the 3 auto rather than the 3 manual and to better on the CX-5 manual than the auto...

smithsm1984
05-03-2012, 03:45 AM
Seems like a class act to me. Something broke, they fixed it - quickly, while providing a rental. That's what the warranty is for, right?

fusion360
05-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Funny thing is that we traded in a 2007 VW Jetta that had been in the shop 3 times within a 2 month period to have the ECU, temp sensor and ambient temp sensor replaced on separate occasions.

CX-SV
05-03-2012, 06:59 PM
First that we know of, not that I expect it to be common.

Sound like the warranty service is top notch, I hope all goes well for OP.

Antonio DiMarco
05-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Hi all! New CX-5 and new to the forum. Wanted to share my experience with everyone.

At 550 miles (3 days of owning the car), my tranny started to slip. Anytime I shifted into Drive from Park, Reverse or Neutral, it took about 1.5 seconds for 1st gear to engage. I had a couple of violent starts because of that – the RPMs would rise to 3500 and then the tranny caught.

Immediately, I contacted my dealer and dropped off the car to have them inspect it. They provided me with a rental for the duration of the repair. After a day, they contacted me saying Mazda USA wanted to replace the transmission; it was the first one to be replaced in the country.

It took 1 week to have the tranny shipped, replaced and road tested. Since then, I have put 1000 miles on her with no tranny issues.

Although the dealership and Mazda USA has been good about keeping me updated throughout the process, my confidence in their product has taken a serious hit. This is my first Mazda and after doing a lot of research and talking to many people praising their reliability, I’m left wondering what, if anything, will happen next.

The folks at headquarters have offered to pay 1 monthly payment. But I kindly turned them down and asked them to give me an extended warranty through Mazda USA for my peace of mind. Plus, I want Mazda to stand by their product and make me believe I made the right choice in purchasing the CX-5.

They said, “I'm terribly sorry to keep you waiting. I unfortunately have some mixed news for you. Mazda would like to provide you with our upcoming extended warranty. The bad news is that I have not been able to produce an ETA as to when this program will be announced/assigned to your Mazda CX-5. At this point I know it will be during the summer. Please accept my apology for the current lack of information. I assure you we are close to knowing when the program will be issued.”

Anyone know if they are blowing smoke and does anyone think I made the right choice in asking for an extended warranty? Thanks!

With all due respect to say your "confidence in the product has taken a serious hit" is a bit much. Every product has an issue here or there what matters is the way they handled it which was first class. To expect further failure is just a bit too much doom and gloom. Like other people said this is what the warranty is for. Ive owned about 8 Mazdas and each one of them was good to great. If I were you I'd just sit back, relax and enjoy your car. Mazda has a lot riding on skyactiv so they're do their best to not drop the ball. Relax have a beer :-)

Antonio DiMarco
05-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Funny thing is that we traded in a 2007 VW Jetta that had been in the shop 3 times within a 2 month period to have the ECU, temp sensor and ambient temp sensor replaced on separate occasions.

Ahh now I see why your a bit worried. don't worry Mazda is not VW.

CX-SV
05-04-2012, 07:33 PM
With all due respect, if the OP formed the opinion of "confidence in the product has taken a serious hit" after the tranny failed, I can understand that. The specific vehicle that they happen to own has failed and is disabled.

The rest of us with perfectly running Mazda's will certainly have a different opinion, that's understandable too.

I do appreciate the report, certainly one of a kind so far and gives us good feedback on the warranty follow through. I hope the rental/loaner is decent.

Canadian-ES-GT
05-05-2012, 06:13 AM
It’s to be expected when buying a brand new technology. There’s always more risk when buying the first year of a model, and now since this model has an engine and transmission that haven’t been out for more than a year, guaranteed there’s a few bound to go wrong.

I’m happy to see that Mazda is taking it very seriously. It’s the first to go in North America. That’s almost great compared to any other auto manufacturer with new tech.

ManMachine
05-07-2012, 02:57 PM
It's better to have the problem early than late.

Automatic transmissions have always been more liable to issues, and even companies like Honda are not immune. Manual transmissions are simpler and easier to maintain ans service. Hopefully Mazda can offer the manual on more trims.

DougNuts
05-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Plus, I want Mazda to stand by their product and make me believe I made the right choice in purchasing the CX-5.

I truly sympathize with your situation, and understand where you're coming from. I had an oil seep issue with my only brand new car, a Honda, a few years ago. From where I'm sitting it sounds like Mazda took very good care of you.

Like others have mentioned, there are other car companies (especially non-luxury brands) that wouldn't have treated you as well or been as forthcoming with information.

I hope your Mazda CX-5 is flawless from here on out!

fusion360
05-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Quick Update - I have driven an additional 2500 miles on the new tranny and no issues thus far! I'll report back on their extended warranty coverage when I get more info.

sdpadsfan
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Quick Update - I have driven an additional 2500 miles on the new tranny and no issues thus far! I'll report back on their extended warranty coverage when I get more info.
It has been a few months. Is your new tranny still working well?

WildBill357
09-17-2012, 09:49 PM

At 550 miles (3 days of owning the car), my tranny started to slip. Anytime I shifted into Drive from Park, Reverse or Neutral, it took about 1.5 seconds for 1st gear to engage. I had a couple of violent starts because of that the RPMs would rise to 3500 and then the tranny caught.

Although the dealership and Mazda USA has been good about keeping me updated throughout the process, my confidence in their product has taken a serious hit. This is my first Mazda and after doing a lot of research and talking to many people praising their reliability, Im left wondering what, if anything, will happen next.

They said, I'm terribly sorry to keep you waiting. I unfortunately have some mixed news for you. Mazda would like to provide you with our upcoming extended warranty. The bad news is that I have not been able to produce an ETA as to when this program will be announced/assigned to your Mazda CX-5. At this point I know it will be during the summer. Please accept my apology for the current lack of information. I assure you we are close to knowing when the program will be issued.

Trust they aren't blowing smoke. They REPLACED the tranny. Mazda wants your's out of that car. They're crazy. Your CX-5 is going to be reliable.

taralsmith
02-05-2013, 01:32 PM
I've had my 2013 Mazda CX-5 for 10 months, it has 17,000 miles on it and I felt the same slipping in the past few weeks. Yesterday my TSP, AT, DSC and Check Engine light came on and I could feel the gears slipping as I accelerated. I immediately stopped driving and called Mazda Roadside. They sent a tow truck quickly. I called the dealer to let them know I was on my way and that I was concerned that it was the transmission and if it was, I wanted to confirm that since it was still under warranty and under a year old, would they provide me with a courtesy car. The service man said they would take care of me and providing that no rodents chewed up wires of the transmission that it will be covered under warranty.

When I arrived at the dealership, the service adviser they assigned to me was was a nice lady, but she also mentioned that it should be covered under warranty unless they found chewed wires by a mouse or something. I find this odd that two service advisers mentioned the same reason that the warranty might not possibility be honored. They gave me a rental car until they can find the issue and fix my car.

I know it's a new model and there are usually bugs that need to be ironed out, the transmission is a huge deal in my opinion. I think I rather have the car replaced than have to deal with transmission issues after the warranty expires, especially since the car is so new. Am I crazy?

Has your CX-5 been running okay since your last post?

Bombadil
02-05-2013, 01:50 PM
@taralsmith: Your problem may be completely different. It sounds like the problem reported here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123820858-For-those-having-Transmission-Issues-with-their-CX-5

If you had turned off your engine for a little bit then turned it back on, it may have been fine. This seems to be an annoying, intermittent problem with the tranny.

ta240
02-05-2013, 01:59 PM
When I arrived at the dealership, the service adviser they assigned to me was was a nice lady, but she also mentioned that it should be covered under warranty unless they found chewed wires by a mouse or something. I find this odd that two service advisers mentioned the same reason that the warranty might not possibility be honored.

Even though it initially sounds like they are trying to set it up to not be covered it is probably that they have just run into that issue in the past and if the customer thinks that their problem is 100% guaranteed to be covered for free right from the start it probably creates some drama when they have to explain to them later that it isn't. Dealers get paid for warranty work so they like it too. (it is what kept the domestic dealers in business for all those years)

I know it's a new model and there are usually bugs that need to be ironed out,

Even with well established car models with great reliability histories there will still be the occasional defect in a component.

I think I rather have the car replaced than have to deal with transmission issues after the warranty expires, especially since the car is so new. Am I crazy?

I wouldn't think you'd get any car company to replace a 10 month old car under warranty for the transmission going. With the OP's 3 day old car I might have tried for that.

If you had turned off your engine for a little bit then turned it back on, it may have been fine. This seems to be an annoying, intermittent problem with the tranny.

Did the tow truck driver drive the car once he got there at all? Any indication the problem was still there at that point or did he just winch it up?

taralsmith
02-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Thank you @Bombadil...I did turn it off...and back on again. As I was driving, the engine was revving but not fully accelerating. I drove to a safe place and called roadside for a tow. The lights all came back on as well. Thank you for the other references, I'm reading those as well regarding the transmission valve. I'll update as I get more information from Mazda.

taralsmith
02-05-2013, 02:05 PM
The tow truck driver was a 3rd party towing company, he just winched it up.

darekd
02-05-2013, 02:12 PM
The tow truck driver was a 3rd party towing company, he just winched it up.

I hope your car is not AWD. I've heard that AWD vehicles should only be towed on flatbed trucks.

CX-SV
02-05-2013, 02:23 PM
I hope your car is not AWD. I've heard that AWD vehicles should only be towed on flatbed trucks.

Good practice with any car. I only use AAA road service and request a flatbed always, no matter what kind of car.

Yes, Mazda recommends w/AWD:

Always tow a AWD vehicle with all four
wheels off the ground:
Towing a AWD vehicle with either the
front or rear wheels on the ground is
dangerous as the drive train could be
damaged, or the vehicle could trail
away from the tow truck and cause
an accident. If the drive train has
been damaged, transport the vehicle
on a flat bed truck.

taralsmith
02-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Turns out that it is the transmission valve. It is covered under warranty. The part is going to take a few days to arrive and then the repairs will be another few days. They exchanged the rental for a courtesy car of the same model so at least I'll get the same good gas mileage with the loaner. I will report back with updates.

taralsmith
02-05-2013, 11:38 PM
It is not a AWD, but that is good to know. Thanks :)

Bombadil
02-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Worrisome incident. Is this just a few transmission valves failing, or it is a design flaw or manufacturing defect? Is it something that many Mazda owners will have to worry about over the years to come?

Given that only a tiny percentage of Skyactiv transmission owners frequent this forum, it makes one wonder just how many times this problem has popped up.

diplomatt
03-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Hi , i have almost 4000 miles on my '13 cx5 , and i start feel my tranny goes down, in normal accseleration tranny start sleep between 1 and second gear, same at2 to 3 , i set up appointmet with my dealer, and i let u know what happens in my case.
looks like cx5 have a tranny issue same like volvo xc 90 with turbo

SayNoToPistons
03-22-2013, 10:55 PM
^ What?

CX-SV
03-23-2013, 01:31 AM
^ yes, what (regarding post #29) ?

Bladecutter
03-23-2013, 01:54 PM
looks like cx5 have a tranny issue same like volvo xc 90 with turbo

Exactly what transmission problem does an XC90 have, and why do you think that is similar to the issue you are having with the CX-5?

Also, when one person has multiple problems with completely different vehicles like you do, I have to wonder just a little bit if the problem is related to the way the vehicles are used.

BC.

Zeal Red
03-23-2013, 02:59 PM
The internet is a wonderful world full of information when you search --> http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f18a651

The vehicle issues related in this post is actual, he is trying to make a comparison, albeit not a good one.

Exactly what transmission problem does an XC90 have, and why do you think that is similar to the issue you are having with the CX-5?

Also, when one person has multiple problems with completely different vehicles like you do, I have to wonder just a little bit if the problem is related to the way the vehicles are used.

BC.

BearRed1
10-02-2015, 11:38 AM
My experience is so exactly like Fusion360’s, I just copied his story and replaced the different time frames, and numbers where necessary.

At 1595 miles (2 months of owning the car), my tranny started to slip. Anytime I shifted into Drive from Park, Reverse or Neutral, it took about 1.5 seconds for 1st gear to engage. I had a couple of violent starts because of that – the RPMs would rise to 3500 and then the tranny caught.

Immediately, I contacted my dealer and dropped off the car to have them inspect it. They provided me with a rental for the duration of the repair. After a day, they contacted me saying Mazda USA wanted to replace the transmission; it is apparently the second one to be replaced in the country.

It took 5 days to have the tranny shipped, replacing it will start on Monday and should take 2 days.
Then they’ll test drive it and it should be back in my hands in under 2 weeks.

The only part I would like to add was the complete lack of surprise on the part of the dealership. They showed no amazement that a brand new car with so little mileage would have the transmission fail in only 2 months time. That alone makes me think that Mazda knows more about this issue then they would admit. The service people didn’t even bother to ask me about the details of the failure, they just matter of factly said “we’ll take a look at it” I will not be surprised to hear of more Skyactiv transmission failures down the road.

MikeM.
10-02-2015, 12:15 PM
They showed no amazement that a brand new car with so little mileage would have the transmission fail in only 2 months time.

That's because they're experienced professionals who have been in the business for a while. They know all models, even Mercedes, have occasional catastrophic failure. It's called a manufacturing defect. It would only surprise them if it became a regular occurrence.

I will not be surprised to hear of more Skyactiv transmission failures down the road.

I will guarantee there will be more almost new transmissions failing down the road. Manufacturing defects happen with all mass produced products. It happens to the best of them. And every transmission will fail eventually (with high enough mileage). What I find reassuring is we are not seeing them fail early, like at 70-100,000 miles. I don't recall seeing the failure or even one high mileage CX-5 transmission (auto or manual). That tells me is a very solid design.

craigo
10-02-2015, 01:25 PM
My experience is so exactly like Fusion360’s, I just copied his story and replaced the different time frames, and numbers where necessary.

At 1595 miles (2 months of owning the car), my tranny started to slip. Anytime I shifted into Drive from Park, Reverse or Neutral, it took about 1.5 seconds for 1st gear to engage. I had a couple of violent starts because of that – the RPMs would rise to 3500 and then the tranny caught.

Immediately, I contacted my dealer and dropped off the car to have them inspect it. They provided me with a rental for the duration of the repair. After a day, they contacted me saying Mazda USA wanted to replace the transmission; it is apparently the second one to be replaced in the country.

It took 5 days to have the tranny shipped, replacing it will start on Monday and should take 2 days.
Then they’ll test drive it and it should be back in my hands in under 2 weeks.

The only part I would like to add was the complete lack of surprise on the part of the dealership. They showed no amazement that a brand new car with so little mileage would have the transmission fail in only 2 months time. That alone makes me think that Mazda knows more about this issue then they would admit. The service people didn’t even bother to ask me about the details of the failure, they just matter of factly said “we’ll take a look at it” I will not be surprised to hear of more Skyactiv transmission failures down the road.

Mean Time Between Failures. The graphs that chart this often look like bell curves. A small percentage of any system will fail early. An equally small percentage will fail very late. This is how warranty periods are calculated - an actuary calculates the probability of failure and cuts off the warranty as the curve trends toward the longer end where failure is more certain. Yours fell in the early standard deviation. Most of the complaints you read on the internet are folks who fell in here. It's incorrect to extrapolate your experience to a larger number - there are relatively few mentions here with thousands of vehicles sold. Contrast the mazda transmission with the Ford focus' dual clutch fiasco - that one has literally thousands of complaints and thousands of replacements, some more than once. That's a bad transmission.

I once had a battery with a 3 year warranty fail after 6 weeks. It happens, they replaced. I have a friend who managed to stretch her battery 8 years in Texas - an amazing age for a hot location.

AK_NickS
10-29-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm new - but want to thank this thread as I'm in exactly the same boat with my new 2016 AWD CX-5 and it was nice to see that I'm not alone!

Transmission started to slip a few weeks ago, and finally had time to take it in to the dealer today, which was a good thing as it has only gotten worse and actually displayed a check engine light and transmission error for the first time on the drive to the dealership. Now at 4000 miles and exactly 3 months of ownership...and it's now sitting at the dealership waiting for a new transmission...no ETA yet...stuck with a tiny Hyundai rental car for the time being!

Chris_Top_Her
10-29-2015, 07:38 PM
I'm new - but want to thank this thread as I'm in exactly the same boat with my new 2016 AWD CX-5 and it was nice to see that I'm not alone!

Transmission started to slip a few weeks ago, and finally had time to take it in to the dealer today, which was a good thing as it has only gotten worse and actually displayed a check engine light and transmission error for the first time on the drive to the dealership. Now at 4000 miles and exactly 3 months of ownership...and it's now sitting at the dealership waiting for a new transmission...no ETA yet...stuck with a tiny Hyundai rental car for the time being!

Wow that sucks. At least they could have given you a Mirage.

Unobtanium
10-29-2015, 09:20 PM
What is causing these failures?

Chris_Top_Her
10-29-2015, 09:29 PM
driving like grandma; here (http://ovtuned.com/collections/ecu-calibrations/products/e-tune-race-flash-file) is an article to support it and one way to fix it.

MikeM.
10-30-2015, 02:46 AM

Wow, that does suck! And you are not alone.

But you are in very slim company. Good thing is it will be replaced with a new unit under warranty.

CX-5um
10-30-2015, 09:09 AM
I will guarantee there will be more almost new transmissions failing down the road. Manufacturing defects happen with all mass produced products. It happens to the best of them. And every transmission will fail eventually (with high enough mileage). What I find reassuring is we are not seeing them fail early, like at 70-100,000 miles. I don't recall seeing the failure or even one high mileage CX-5 transmission (auto or manual). That tells me is a very solid design.

Yeah I was hoping those those that do fail would fail early as to be fully covered by the 5-year warranty. That said hearing stories of the few failed transmissions in low mileage Mazdas is a good thing. Hearing about mass amounts of failed transmissions in 50-60k mile Mazdas would be bad. Really bad. Fortunately that is not the case.

Unobtanium
10-30-2015, 10:13 AM
That's because they're experienced professionals who have been in the business for a while. They know all models, even Mercedes, have occasional catastrophic failure. It's called a manufacturing defect. It would only surprise them if it became a regular occurrence.

Exactly. I've watched people have a massive MI on my monitors, throw up liters of blood (measured, literal) and they were never the wiser that I was VERY mentally busy, along with the calm and practiced physical business. A professional does not get all excited over things. They get things DONE. I would read nothing into your perception of their attitudes regarding a failure.

Unobtanium
10-30-2015, 10:16 AM
driving like grandma; here (http://ovtuned.com/collections/ecu-calibrations/products/e-tune-race-flash-file) is an article to support it and one way to fix it.

I'm not seeing anything about transmission failure/driving incorrectly/etc.

I personally know people who "drive like a grandma". One of them is my friend Roberto. His driving is so slow that it's literally unsafe, as it takes 1-2 MILES on the freeway for him to FINALLY get up to 60.

His truck has almost half a million miles on it, with no major services, replacements, or overhauls, though. Yes, it's a Toyota and that helps, but...damn.

eva
01-04-2016, 02:00 AM
First post here to state an exact same failure and replacement, in Australia at 4500kms (under 3000 miles) from a 2.0L cx-5 delivered July 2015. Has anyone seen information on the cause of this failure?

Lbear
01-04-2016, 03:23 AM

What is the manufacturing date of your vehicle?

TAM62
01-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Just got my cx5 last month (only 877 miles on car) and I had the same issue. Initially car hesitated before going into drive. I made a appointment at the dealership and before I could get it in I stopped at a light and when I pressed on the gas nothing happened and approximately 5 seconds later it jumped into gear and all the warning lights went off and it went into limp mode. Immediately went to the dealership and a week later I am getting a new transmission. My dealership said that the Mazda techs at HQ have never seen this before and that they want to study it.....

pdlpsher
01-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Just got my cx5 last month (only 877 miles on car) and I had the same issue. Initially car hesitated before going into drive. I made a appointment at the dealership and before I could get it in I stopped at a light and when I pressed on the gas nothing happened and approximately 5 seconds later it jumped into gear and all the warning lights went off and it went into limp mode. Immediately went to the dealership and a week later I am getting a new transmission. My dealership said that the Mazda techs at HQ have never seen this before and that they want to study it.....

My tranny failed at 2.000 miles. I posted a thread about it under the engine/tranny subforum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmninada
01-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Before all the Mazda lovers comment this is very uncommon, etc., etc. I would like to say that today I had to visit the dealership for getting an accessory installed. There was a lot of agitated talk with a customer. Reason - it seems his brand new 2016.5 with less than 1000 miles simply died on him at a STOP sign he avoided a serious accident. This occurrence of tranny failures seem to be more common than might have been estimated? Furthermore, if this is happening from 2013 model, why the BLOODY HELL Mazda doesn't fix it? It now 2016, 2016.5: it's still happening. Many mention here, the engineers@Mazda are doing this great things but it seems its the bottom-line that matters more. Let's replace those where customers report a problem. If nothing has changed - which is obvious since 2016 models are exhibiting off and on the same problem, I don't think there's any guarantee the replaced one won't exhibit the same problem? What? Mazda decided to play God - let fate decide if it'll fail?

CC58
01-11-2016, 11:00 PM
Read through the forum for last few years. Its rare to see transmission problems. This thread is 4 years old and lists nine failures. This thread would be far bigger if there was a trend, like the Toyota Rav4 V6 transmission thread (http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/75633-whining-noise-40-50-mph-solved-updated-8-26-10-tsb-out.html) with over 100 pages of over 1,000 posts.

bmninada
01-11-2016, 11:49 PM
Good point. Thanks. But STILL continuing to appear in 2016 and beyond models? Don't you find that strange?

MikeM.
01-12-2016, 12:03 AM
Good point. Thanks. But STILL continuing to appear in 2016 and beyond models? Don't you find that strange?

It's only strange if you're trying to invent a problem.

I'll say this once more even though I'm sure you already know it. There are no transmissions on any car model with perfect reliability. Not even models that have been in production for 10 years.

My transmission has performed flawlessly every day I drive it but I don't wake up and report that fact each morning. However, in the unfortunate event that it failed one day, you can be sure I would make certain everyone heard about my bad misfortune. 9 failures is nothing!

Chris_Top_Her
01-12-2016, 12:18 AM
I wouldn't use this forum as a basis to determine a failure rate, although it can be a good reference for things that are popping up. If the majority of CX-5 owners were on the forum we'd have tens of thousands. Instead we have a couple dozen active users (cx-5). For plenty of people who don't really use social media (maybe they have a facebook at most), aren't familiar with forums, or mostly, aren't enthusiasts the fact that something broke may be the only reason they show up here, because they found it specifically while searching for someone who may have the same issue. It's like me mentioning OVT here. If you go to the correct circles (multiple forums and FB pages), it's a known and respected name. I mention it here and people don't have a clue, which also let's me know at least 6 or more major mazda outlets they probably don't participate in as well. It's easy to sit here saying how this hasn't happened to me nor has it been reported, until it's happening to you and you have users downplaying the situation based on limited feedback.

MikeM.
01-12-2016, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't use this forum as a basis to determine a failure rate, although it can be a good reference for things that are popping up. If the majority of CX-5 owners were on the forum we'd have tens of thousands. Instead we have a couple dozen active users (cx-5).

Polling is a proven science and any reputable poll will include the calculated margin of error.

Obviously casually browsing a forum is not a scientific method to determine failure rates in the same way that polling is used to determine the likelihood of a political win or loss. But the fact that only a small percentage of CX-5 owners are represented here is not a major reason why the margin of error cannot be calculated (pollsters regularly achieve very low margins of error only polling less than 0.01% of the population being polled.

A sensible person can achieve a reasonable sense of the reliability of various cars (and their individual systems) by browsing owner forums. Scientific? No. Useful? Yes.

bmninada
01-12-2016, 07:46 AM
Polling is a proven science and any reputable poll will include the calculated margin of error.

Obviously casually browsing a forum is not a scientific method to determine failure rates in the same way that polling is used to determine the likelihood of a political win or loss. But the fact that only a small percentage of CX-5 owners are represented here is not a major reason why the margin of error cannot be calculated (pollsters regularly achieve very low margins of error only polling less than 0.01% of the population being polled.

A sensible person can achieve a reasonable sense of the reliability of various cars (and their individual systems) by browsing owner forums. Scientific? No. Useful? Yes.

The same logic is applicable to you also, correct? In other words - 9 failure rates does not guarantee there's NO issue per se. Once again, I reiterate. The 2013 transmission was replaced, user confirmed it. Mazda took it and either they threw it into a junk or they investigated the issue. As we're seeing a repeat of EXACTLY same symtoms in a 2016 model and beyond, my comment is most probably Mazda did the former?

russiankid
01-12-2016, 09:54 AM
If this was such an issue that many vehicles were affected by it, a TSB or recall would have been issued. Considering the fact that it is probably 1 in every 100 or 200 cars that has this issue, it is not a design flaw but more or less quality control. I personally do not have any issues with mine, I do have some complaints on how the transmission behaves in certain scenario's but that is a programming issue and the fact that I've driven manual all my life and this is the first auto so my expectations are different.

bmninada
01-12-2016, 11:25 AM
If this was such an issue that many vehicles were affected by it, a TSB or recall would have been issued. Considering the fact that it is probably 1 in every 100 or 200 cars that has this issue, it is not a design flaw but more or less quality control. I personally do not have any issues with mine, I do have some complaints on how the transmission behaves in certain scenario's but that is a programming issue and the fact that I've driven manual all my life and this is the first auto so my expectations are different.

Even if it is a quality issue, the fact that its seeping in even for 2016 models means either they have not addressed the issue or their quality checks have not improved, changed or they care 2 hoots since its 1 every 100 or so. Whatever way you slice it/dice it - its not good.
Now, about TSB: What I understood in each case the transmission was replaced. In other words, expecting Mazda to issue a TSB that transmission needs to be replaced would be extremely unlikely. That's why there isn't one.

russiankid
01-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Even if it is a quality issue, the fact that its seeping in even for 2016 models means either they have not addressed the issue or their quality checks have not improved, changed or they care 2 hoots since its 1 every 100 or so. Whatever way you slice it/dice it - its not good.
Now, about TSB: What I understood in each case the transmission was replaced. In other words, expecting Mazda to issue a TSB that transmission needs to be replaced would be extremely unlikely. That's why there isn't one.

Most manufacturers would not give 2 hoots for an issue that happens so seldom. It may not be seldom in our eyes because we're seeing people complain about the issue, but for them it is very minimal. As for the TSB, I think it depends what the actual issue is. It may be cheaper labor wise to have a tech replace the transmission rather than take it apart and try to fix it, and then potentially cause another problem which again, back to dealer for warranty. I've had this happen to me with Toyota, and final result was a new transmission because the tech butchered something inside. But because in their eyes its not a big deal, no TSB is issued otherwise many customers would be visiting the dealer that have certain complaints and then warranty would have to pay out for even inspecting the vehicle for probable cause.

craigo
01-12-2016, 12:40 PM
I think its interesting that a recent series of shift shock complaints that result in replacement are all from 2016 MY. Line changes are made mostly silently, curious if they introduced a change that created some new issues.

craigo
01-12-2016, 12:41 PM

Incorrect, for example this bearing failure TSB calls for replacement: http://oemdtc.com/10920/whining-noise-from-automatic-transaxle-2012-2014-mazda

craigo
01-12-2016, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't use this forum as a basis to determine a failure rate, although it can be a good reference for things that are popping up. If the majority of CX-5 owners were on the forum we'd have tens of thousands. Instead we have a couple dozen active users (cx-5). For plenty of people who don't really use social media (maybe they have a facebook at most), aren't familiar with forums, or mostly, aren't enthusiasts the fact that something broke may be the only reason they show up here, because they found it specifically while searching for someone who may have the same issue. It's like me mentioning OVT here. If you go to the correct circles (multiple forums and FB pages), it's a known and respected name. I mention it here and people don't have a clue, which also let's me know at least 6 or more major mazda outlets they probably don't participate in as well. It's easy to sit here saying how this hasn't happened to me nor has it been reported, until it's happening to you and you have users downplaying the situation based on limited feedback.

Check out the Focus dual-clutch threads, hundreds and hundreds of pages relating to that fiasco, resulting in a class action lawsuit. Now that's a faulty transmission.

bmninada
01-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Incorrect, for example this bearing failure TSB calls for replacement: http://oemdtc.com/10920/whining-noise-from-automatic-transaxle-2012-2014-mazda

Interesting. I am NOT a hard-headed guy. When stated with logic and data I accept and move on. So, what you're saying is that Mazda did issue recall/replace in some cases. Good to know they aren't greedy.

craigo
01-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Interesting. I am NOT a hard-headed guy. When stated with logic and data I accept and move on. So, what you're saying is that Mazda did issue recall/replace in some cases. Good to know they aren't greedy.

They tend to replace units unless the problem is software related and can be fixed with an update or a re-learn procedure, or its an easy fix like a bad solenoid accessible outside of the case. Internal issues seem to need specialized tools and training beyond what dealers have, or at least that's my theory.

CC58
01-12-2016, 01:00 PM

Without a doubt, no car has ever been produced that didn't have a handful of transmission failures. None.
The rate of failure is what you should be concerned with, and that is extremely low for the CX-5.
Mazda would issue a TSB if it were needed.

CC58
01-12-2016, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't use this forum as a basis to determine a failure rate, although it can be a good reference for things that are popping up. If the majority of CX-5 owners were on the forum we'd have tens of thousands. Instead we have a couple dozen active users

This thread has 14,000 views. The forum stickees have 350,000 views. Most don't post, but view, and there is a huge audience. You can bet any viewers that have a blown transmission will post to complain. Its human nature. I've found forums far more valuable than Consumer Reports or JDPowers. Of course, it has to be a major forum with lots of viewer traffic, and this is it for CX-5.

Kedis82ZE8
01-12-2016, 08:12 PM
This thread has 14,000 views. The forum stickees have 350,000 views. Most don't post, but view, and there is a huge audience. You can bet any viewers that have a blown transmission will post to complain. Its human nature. I've found forums far more valuable than Consumer Reports or JDPowers. Of course, it has to be a major forum with lots of viewer traffic, and this is it for CX-5.

+1... I agree... I've definitely been on forums (all the way back to Usenet groups) with high volume factory defects and for the CX-5 auto... it is not.

If there are more issues cropping up with ATs on '16s perhaps some software or hardware changes.... or even a different parts supplier are contributing to issues.

Not that a couple of '15s here and there didn't have an AT issue.... it was overall pretty quiet IMO. I've yet to come across "any" car forum where there isn't someone reporting a failure or anomaly about nearly every component. An epidemic with ATs... not likely.

On a side note... I think my squeaky power door locks finally healed themselves. I haven't heard anything in a few months. :-)