Making use of in-dash button placeholders

deema

:
Zeal Red 2013 CX-5 GT + Tech Package
Looking at the new CX-5 GT dash, I am annoyed at button placeholders. They are clearly designed to be buttons, but they aren't doing anything. Can anyone share experiences or ideas to make use of these areas? What buttons did you add there?

I am referring to a set of three button placeholders to the left of the steering wheel, in the same section as the traction control, assisted descent, and BSM; and to the two look-like-buttons-but-not-buttons between the heated seat buttons on the main console.

There is suppose to be an i-stop button, lane departure warning and i forgot the other feature
The North American market are missing some features
If you browse around youtube and check out some Euro videos you'll see the features with the functioning buttons

There are six spaces, and the functions that exist in those spaces differ slightly between countries.
I can take a photo a bit later.

The button between the heated seats buttons is for the parking sensors in Australia. The others are purely spaces, and don't have buttons in any country.
The parking sensors must be able to be turned off to allow towing but I believe they only disable the rear sensors, allowing the front parking sensors to still work. I could be wrong.... I should test.

In Australia at least the six side buttons you mentiond are arranged in a 3 x 3 pattern like this:

Top Row - Standard on all Australia models:
Left: "TCS OFF" - Traction Control OFF
Middle: "(!) SET - Tire Pressure Monitoring set
Right: i-stop OFF - i-Stop OFF

Bottom Row is for GT only:

Left: BSM OFF (Some countries written RVM OFF) - Blind Spot Monitoring OFF (Tech Pack only)
Middle: AFS OFF - Advanced Front Lighting System OFF
Right: LDWS ON - Lane Departure Warning ON (Tech Pack only)

I demonstrated a couple of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhTxGkloc-Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exjlNvGhwaY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P47Q2ZpCSK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLU6pf4qAIE

To allow a clear understanding of what is running, lights are typically off in the setting default state below the speedo unless they are active (or about to be active).

i-Stop light:
none - ON but no conditions allowing it to work
green - will work when stopped
amber - disabled

LDWS light (I only bother turning this on on the highway - and it's VERY effective):
none - default is disabled
amber - below 65 km/h so disabled
green - above 65 km/h so lane markings are monitored

I always have BSM on, but this only works above 30km/h - also VERY effective.

Last edited:
Inodes,

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. This is great to know. The i-stop feature is similar to a hill-assist? The dealer here told me that the feature existed in the GT model, that it would automatically hold the breaks for 3 seconds on a incline over 5%. But there doesn't appear to be a button to turn that off in the US model. Do you know anything about that?

The LDWS sounds amazing and it's a great pity that it's not available on the US CX-5. I suppose it's a cost issue... Do you think it would be possible to import the parts that make LDWS work in Europe/Australia and add them to an American CX-5?

Inodes,

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. This is great to know. The i-stop feature is similar to a hill-assist? The dealer here told me that the feature existed in the GT model, that it would automatically hold the breaks for 3 seconds on a incline over 5%. But there doesn't appear to be a button to turn that off in the US model. Do you know anything about that?

The LDWS sounds amazing and it's a great pity that it's not available on the US CX-5. I suppose it's a cost issue... Do you think it would be possible to import the parts that make LDWS work in Europe/Australia and add them to an American CX-5?

No they are different. I stop turns the engine off when you are stopped at a stop light and turns it back on instantly when you hit the gas again. It saves on fuel and emissions. They have had the technology in europe for a few years but haven't brought it to the US because they think we are dumb and would freak if the car turned off when we stopped and therefor wouldn't buy the car after test driving it. Sadly I think they are right for most drivers here. I would love the feature though...that and the diesel skyactiv.

They have had the technology in europe for a few years but haven't brought it to the US because they think we are dumb and would freak if the car turned off when we stopped and therefor wouldn't buy the car after test driving it. Sadly I think they are right for most drivers here. I would love the feature though...that and the diesel skyactiv.

I am often sad when I see Americans being stupid like that. Let me expand on my question from above - can I also import the parts and put in I-stop into my car here? How much of a change would it be to add that in? And the same question about adding in LDWS stands.

Sometimes there are reasons why people are late to adopt things other than just being "stupid". If gas was $4.00 a gallon here in the U.S. like it was in Europe many years ago we may very well have the istop tech here now and love it. Europe, on the most part, is much more conjested and therefore the pollution factor is a lot more of an issue as well. Plus, in the U.S. there are still some very wide open spaces and I think people are leery of the engine not starting again when they are way out in the boonies with nobody to fix their brand new car. In Europe, again on the most part, you don't have far to go to get repairs or help. I'm just saying that old habits are hard to break unless people see a whole lot of benefit vs. risk. When gas gets to $5.00 a gallon the whole perception thing will change. Just like people driving BMWs are now accepting that it is powered by a 4cyl engine. Ten years ago that would have been impossible to believe.

Last edited:
They have had the technology in europe for a few years but haven't brought it to the US because they think we are dumb and would freak if the car turned off when we stopped and therefor wouldn't buy the car after test driving it. Sadly I think they are right for most drivers here. I would love the feature though...that and the diesel skyactiv.

Well, nizzy1115, you're in luck: I-stop is already available in the U.S. on a handful of 2012 and 2013 vehicles. Check out this Detroit Free Press review from last week of the 2012 BMW 528i: http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/AUTO-BMW528I-REVIEW_7861998/AUTO-BMW528I-REVIEW_7861998/.

Inodes,

Deema,

As explained by a few others already, the i-Stop system is a stop/start system that functions when you stop the car with brakes and it becomes stationary. The system pauses the cylinders in an optimum position prepared for a re-start, then then engine shuts down.

It's not new technology. It's been available on a lot of vehicles in Australia for the past 5 or 6 years. So excluding it from a new Mazda model would have been a mistake. Honda has been using the technology in Japan since the late 90's.
Even in India, the domestic car maker Tata is using the system - and their own domestic market (a market far less advanced and wanting for features than I expect of the US).

That said, it's among the quickest systems on the market. The petrol model takes about 0.35 seconds to restart and the diesel takes about 0.4 seconds. Out of the two, the petrol restart is certainly more smooth. The diesel can give a small jolt - but it's not annoying.

The i-stop system was offered to Mazda markets worldwide. All Mazda markets (except USA/Canada) decided to pick up the system. The same goes for a lot of the other additions. Why Mazda US decides to drop a lot of the features is still quite confusing to me.

The i-Stop system is benchmarked to save 10% of fuel in urban conditions.

The LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System), is a lot more advanced than the i-Stop and requires a lot of cameras in the windscreen to work.
6815499580_332d85ce6a_z.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes there are reasons why people are late to adopt things other than just being "stupid". If gas was $4.00 a gallon here in the U.S. like it was in Europe many years ago we may very well have the istop tech here now and love it. Europe, on the most part, is much more conjested and therefore the pollution factor is a lot more of an issue as well. Plus, in the U.S. there are still some very wide open spaces and I think people are leery of the engine not starting again when they are way out in the boonies with nobody to fix their brand new car. In Europe, again on the most part, you don't have far to go to get repairs or help. I'm just saying that old habits are hard to break unless people see a whole lot of benefit vs. risk. When gas gets to $5.00 a gallon the whole perception thing will change. Just like people driving BMWs are not accepting that it is powered by a 4cyl engine. Ten years ago that would have been impossible to believe.

The same could be said for Australia. Except we have much larger distance between repairers (and petrol stations). Petrol used to be identical in price to the US, although of late due to the Australian economy being so strong (and hence dollar), our prices have gone up. So the cost of our fuel is roughly 35%-40% more expensive than the US.

Stop start systems mainly became popular upon the first fuel rise. The highest selling vehicles were large V6 and V8 sedans that would employ a stop-start systems mixed with a cylinder disable system. On the highway, a V8 would run on 4 cylinders for example.

Europe might have more expensive fuel and higher cost of living, but salaries are higher than the US and therefore it hits the hip pocket roughly the same.
The US should be more responsive to fuel increases because where fuel rises have been only 60% in the Europe over 10 years, it's been closer to 100% in the US.

It won't take long for the US to adopt start-stop systems. But by then, they will be many years behind some developing nations let alone the rest of the developed world.

Nizzy I think I-stop is not in the US because the EPA milage test gives it no advantage compared to the cost. The cost can not be quantified in an advertisable benefit...

Well I've got to say the EPA mileage on this vehicle is wack anyways. I'm at 700 miles and still averaging above 38mpg on every trip. The same commute that my 2010 mazda3 got 26 (rated 21/29) and my 2012 kia sorento gets 27 on (rated 22/32).

Nizzy I think I-stop is not in the US because the EPA milage test gives it no advantage compared to the cost. The cost can not be quantified in an advertisable benefit...

I think it's a fairly weak standpoint for the EPA. Actually anything that seems to save fuel for the consumer seems to be excluded from export to the US (in terms of vehicle).
Perfect example of exclusion are the Bluemotion VW's. They are the ultra low mpg versions of the diesel (around the 60mpg+ mark).
Ironically, there are examples produced in Tennessee that are exported to the world, but they are no sold in the US.
Why not?!

What does the US government gain from preventing low mpg cars?
What do governments stand to lose from low mpg cars?

There is a disparity between Europe and the US.

One encourages low fuel economy, the other appears to hinder low fuel economy.

But *what* does any government lose from reduced fuel use?

Tax?
Well no, not really. Governments set a percentage tax on fuel per price unit. As fuel costs increase, consumers seek smaller and more fuel efficient cars.
So less fuel is purchased, but at a higher fuel cost - result = government gets same money.

But the US differs here too - because unlike the rest of the world, the accounting method for fuel excise is by way of a fixed price.
A federal excise of 18.4 cents per gallon for gasoline, and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel, plus recently a change to average state prices of 31.1 cents per gallon gasoline and 30.2 cents per gallon of diesel.
Not the most sensible of methods - and one that hurts the government each time yet another consumer picks up a low mpg car.

A reduction in fuel consumption leads to a reduction in taxes for the US.

Yes - a very generalised argument, and one that might just sound too much like a conspiracy theory.
But three facts are plain to see:

1. Fuel taxing is fixed per volume - not percentage per price. That really does mean less tax with less volume.
2. A large percentage of low mpg vehicles (including many made in the US) - are not available for sale in the US.
3. Because of the pricing method, tax is MUCH lower than it should be. 30 years ago, it probably represented a reasonable amount and it was an amount the US government could do something with. Even 10 years ago, with fuel prices being 1/2 what they are now - tax was okay.

Look at the rest of the world, and only the middle east - countries who actually own the oil - tax less (of often nothing... after all, the government owns the oil, they need not tax their own product).

But the particularly strange fact is that many very low mpg vehicles roll out of your own factories, made by American hands - yet immediately shipped to countries outside the US that welcome such vehicles.

And why not.... in Europe, the governments are getting more in tax on fuel, than the average American consumer actually pays in whole.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...than-water-i-and-i-10-a-gallon/238226/#slide1

Last edited:
Taxes as a percentage sound good but when the price of gas moves from $2.00 per gallon to $4.00 per gallon and then back to $2.00 per gallon in less then a two year period it makes for huge budget problems. As you probably know, once you give a politician a whole bunch of money(% tax on $4.00) and then cut it in half a year later, it makes them MAD. Gas usage is more predictable on the grand scale but as it is being reduced by CAFE standards and subsuquent better efficiency it has affected tax revenues and they are looking at some way to replenish their coffers. It will probably just be a higher tax per gallon. Maybe the price of gas doesn't flucuate as much in other parts of the world and a tax as a percentage works better, I really don't know how the taxing of gasoline works in other parts of the world. I just know it's a lot.(whistle)

BTW, in your statements, don't you mean HIGH mpg versus what you said?

Taxes as a percentage sound good but when the price of gas moves from $2.00 per gallon to $4.00 per gallon and then back to $2.00 per gallon in less then a two year period it makes for huge budget problems. As you probably know, once you give a politician a whole bunch of money(% tax on $4.00) and then cut it in half a year later, it makes them MAD. Gas usage is more predictable on the grand scale but as it is being reduced by CAFE standards and subsuquent better efficiency it has affected tax revenues and they are looking at some way to replenish their coffers. It will probably just be a higher tax per gallon. Maybe the price of gas doesn't flucuate as much in other parts of the world and a tax as a percentage works better, I really don't know how the taxing of gasoline works in other parts of the world. I just know it's a lot.(whistle)

BTW, in your statements, don't you mean HIGH mpg versus what you said?

Yes.... I did intend my statement to read high mpg (i.e. better economy). Not used to using mpg, and trying to use US terminology. Our scale is reverse because it's L/100km, so "high" when used with "fuel economy" means poor fuel economy. So it's easy to get high and low miss matched.

CAFE was introduced in 1975 after the 1973 oil crisis. It was a great idea in principle. But it still hasn't done enough to encourage reductions.
Despite CAFE, the US has the worst fuel economy on average of any first world nation.

The following study has a small sample of those nations (including a terribly performing Australia - that outperforms the US, excluding a very progressive California), but the point is clear:
http://www.pewclimate.org/docUploads/Fuel Economy and GHG Standards_010605_110719.pdf

Compare the US to the EU and you'll note that the EU is not only better, but significantly better

Using the example on the graph in the pdf and some very rough figures purely for illustration:

Consider a 100 mile drive.....

Example A: Average American driver
- Average of 25mpg
- Price $4/gallon (purely an easy example to calculate)
- Tax = roughly 12.5%
- Cost per 100 miles to consumer: $16
- Government tax earned: about $3

Example B: Average European driver
- Average of 53mpg
- Price $8/gallon (once again easy example)
- Cost per 100 miles to consumer: $15
- Government tax earned: about $9

So taking averages, and even overestimating fuel price in US....

Average European pay less per mile.
European government earn 3X the tax per mile.

And because of extremely low emission controls, there is less emissions and pollutants per mile.

That 3x tax shows as it's redirected into roads.

I've driven in many parts of Asia, Europe, US/Canada/Mexico and Australia. It's very clear which countries redirect funds into roads, and which don't.
(In my opinion, the US, Canada and Australia have terrible road conditions in comparison to the rest of the first world countries. Canada and Australia less so than the US, but we also have significantly smaller economies having to look after massive road networks). Not about to compare Mexico though.... they have potholes that can swallow small cars :)

Regarding prices and CAFE benchmarks....

CAFE hasn't really been updated that much. There was a gradual reduction of mpg required post oil crisis, but the CAFE standard hasn't kept up with the massive improvements the car industry has made. In fact, CAFE standards are barely a headache for car manufacturers in comparison to what may have seemed like impossible standards when viewed back in the late 70's.

The price of fuel did decrease after the oil crisis. But after settling in the early to mid 80's, fuel prices have never seen a massive decrease.
Taxing at a percentage still would have earned the US government more than it is currently receiving.

Last edited:
Gasoline tax pays for the roadways repair in the US. Your EU vs US example is wrong because it puts the consumer first, while it should put the roads first. With low MPGs the government collects more money per mile of traveled (and thus little bit ruined) road. It's a conspiracy! (boom01) </sarcasm>

But *what* does any government lose from reduced fuel use?

If you believe conspiracy theories, then it boils down to corruption. A few years back, I had a friend who had ties to some interesting people in the auto industry, and he would tell stories he'd heard of automakers having high-mileage prototypes seized by the government and never seen again if they had plans to release those cars into the U.S. market. He was convinced this was happening because the government either had its hands in the coffers of oil companies, or it was unwilling to give up precious tax money. Don't know if it was just a good story or not, but governments are by no means shining examples of trust and honesty, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn there were elements of truth in what he heard.

Gasoline tax pays for the roadways repair in the US. Your EU vs US example is wrong because it puts the consumer first, while it should put the roads first. With low MPGs the government collects more money per mile of traveled (and thus little bit ruined) road. It's a conspiracy! (boom01) </sarcasm>

If you believe conspiracy theories, then it boils down to corruption. A few years back, I had a friend who had ties to some interesting people in the auto industry, and he would tell stories he'd heard of automakers having high-mileage prototypes seized by the government and never seen again if they had plans to release those cars into the U.S. market. He was convinced this was happening because the government either had its hands in the coffers of oil companies, or it was unwilling to give up precious tax money. Don't know if it was just a good story or not, but governments are by no means shining examples of trust and honesty, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn there were elements of truth in what he heard.

What they have been talking about doing for years was to create a per mile tax instead of taxing your gas per gallon. Then it wouldnt matter if your car got 300 miles to the gallon they would make darn sure they are still getting their money.

Back