PDA

View Full Version : My new CX-5 is already in the shop :(

Barbaracj
04-28-2012, 04:33 PM
I have had my CX 5 for almost a month with no problems at all. Two days a go, I was stopped at a light and the car just turned off by itself. Then it happened again yesterday. I took it to the Mazda service dept and they had no idea what to do. After talking with the corporate techies, they didn't want me to drive the car. I have a loaner car and I have no idea when I'll get my car back.

Anyone else have this problem?

I miss my car!!

Canadian-ES-GT
04-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Hope they get it working well soon.

Keep us updated

... ohh and welcome to Mazda 24/7

inodes
04-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Not good to hear, and very unlike Mazda. Keep us informed.

CX-SV
04-30-2012, 12:31 AM
Sorry to hear about this unusual problem. Curious as to cause.

dasayheykid
04-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Damn...hope they find out what caused it.

hollis
04-30-2012, 07:57 AM
On the positive side, appears Mazda is taking it seriously. Will be good to know if its isolate issue or not.. keep us updated.

bazooka joe
04-30-2012, 08:03 AM
good luck, i'm sure it's nothing serious....just need to diagnose it..

erhayes
04-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Things like this can be very hard to find or diagnose. If no resolution within two weeks ask for another new replacement vehicle.

nizzy1115
04-30-2012, 12:20 PM
With this being a new vehicle platform, they take all issues very seriously. Especially something that causes the car to die during use, that would require a mandatory recall if they discover something.

Puja McGriddle
04-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Did it gracefully shut off - as if you wanted it to shut off - or did the engine shudder pretty bad and abruptly stall?

Barbaracj
04-30-2012, 03:33 PM
It was very graceful. I didn't even realize it was off until I hit the gas and there was none.

oaklandopen
04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
maybe you got one where it shuts the engine off at stoplights? Hehe

smithsm1984
04-30-2012, 06:51 PM

That was my first thought. It's Mazda's new innovate stop-stop system. Saves gas!

plemieux
05-01-2012, 12:15 AM

http://www.insanejournal.com/userpic/1164628/94461

Barbaracj
05-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Still no Answers. Yesterday they were talking to Mazda in Japan.

iracemine
05-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Lemon law in your state?

bazooka joe
05-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Lemon law in your state?

thing is, you've got to give mazda the chance to fix it, and i think it's more than 1 or 2 tries

Barbaracj
05-02-2012, 04:53 PM
OK I got my car back today. I must say that Mazda took this very seriously. They even had a guy come up from New Jersey to make sure the car was good. This is what they think it is and I am inclined to believe it. I am short so I had the steering wheel telescoped all the way in because I wanted the airbag as far away from me as possible. The ignition button was covered by the windshield washer lever. I would just put my hand under the lever to turn the car on and off. They think that I might have accidently hit the button when I was going for the windshield wiper. It is quite possible. They also showed me what happens when you are stopped and you press the button. It was identical to what happened to me. So.....I think the issue is solved.

My baaaad. But if it happens to one of you at least you will know what it's from.

CX-SV
05-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Barbaracj - Thanks for reporting back, much appreciated. I'm glad your CX-5 is ok.

I did notice the wiper control stalk does visually block the starter button. Makes me suspect they have seen this happen before (not that they would say that).

Consider not adjusting steering wheel based on concerns about airbags. (These modern airbags are more intelligent and safer than older ones, to minimize injuries to driver.) Best to adjust steering wheel for comfort and control, to reduce the chance of crash and possible air bag deployment.

bazooka joe
05-02-2012, 05:20 PM
can someone snap a pic of that? glad to hear she back to normal!

Antonio DiMarco
05-02-2012, 08:23 PM
A tech I know said that Mazda was taking any Skyactiv issue VERY seriously. To the point where they did not want any tech to touch Mz3's with Skyactiv when they first released them. All they could do was change the oil. Not surprising since Mazda has a lot riding on Skyactiv. FWIW the techs in my areas have said that except for a flash update to the Engine PCM there has been ZERO issues with Skyactiv (at least in our area) since the Mz3 came out a year ago.

FWIW it's worth I also noted how close the right stalk was to the Start button during a test drive. If this becomes a big problem I expect Mazda will reposition/redesign the dashboard for the button. I also find it funny that people start mentioning the lemon law right away. Jeez, give the company a chance. Issues are inevitable, it's all in how their handled that really separates the good companies form bad.

smithsm1984
05-02-2012, 09:14 PM
AFAIK Mazda has a good track record with new vehicle releases over the last five years. I would not have been comfortable buying a new Sonic, for example, because GM can't say the same. But really the last big problem I heard about Mazdas was the RX8 rotary engine issues. And Mazda seemed to do a good job at a corporate level of cleaning up after that mess by extending the warranty on the motor.

By comparison, I was kind of interested in the Ford Mustang for awhile, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with the manual transmission. There's been a lot of reports of problems and Ford's response so far has been to kind of sweep the issue under the rug.

CX-SV
05-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm more confident in Mazda's new product launches than Ford's easily.

I recently had a 2007 Ford Explorer V8 that was average/mediocre. And the 2011 redesigned Explorer was even less reliable (below average), multiple issues.

plemieux
05-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I would just put my hand under the lever to turn the car on and off. They think that I might have accidently hit the button when I was going for the windshield wiper. It is quite possible. They also showed me what happens when you are stopped and you press the button. It was identical to what happened to me. So.....I think the issue is solved.

My baaaad. But if it happens to one of you at least you will know what it's from.

So after that whole ordeal, you were just turning it off yourself?
http://www.insanejournal.com/userpic/1164617/94461

CX-SV
05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I appreciate the honesty of the OP and the quick feedback provided after the service visit. Again, thanks Barbaracj.

I'm willing to bet the wiper stalk will be changed at some point so it won't be so close and in front of start button, simple enough fix.

geocord
05-02-2012, 11:05 PM
When they first came out with these push button starts you had to push and hold the button on most of them to turn the engine off. I wonder if that deal with the Lexus and the trooper not being able to figure out how to shut the car down and people got killed made the car companies change it to turn off very easily......maybe too easily.

sussig
05-03-2012, 03:05 AM
while test drive a cx5, i actually had the thoughts and asked the sales person that what would happen if the start button was pushed while he was driving and he was nice enough to test it since he didnt know the answer to that and the engine turned off itself as soon the button was pushed while we were cruising around in the parkin lot, lol

Barbaracj
05-03-2012, 08:07 AM
The rep told me that while driving, you won't be able to turn the car off if you hit the button. But, if you needed to shut it down for some reason then press the button 3 x and the engine will go off.

oaklandopen
05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
I guess consulting the OWNERS MANUAL instead of a salesman is out of the question?

geocord
05-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I guess consulting the OWNERS MANUAL instead of a salesman is out of the question?

Take it easy. How many people have owner's manuals in front of them when they are taking a test drive? It is very natural to ask a salesman about something like this but with the understanding that a lot of them don't have a clue. I wish they would just say "I don't have a clue" but I guess that is human nature to want to appear more knowing then we really are. Now, if you already own a CX-5.....you have no excuse.(eyeballs)

CX-SV
05-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Agreed, let's be nice to OP, she gave us honest feedback on a issue that originated due to poor ergonimics of a couple key controls. No need to rip her for not reading owners manual, blah, blah, blah.

Barbaracj
05-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah! What he said!

bazooka joe
05-03-2012, 10:27 PM
love to see said button?

CX-SV
05-03-2012, 10:36 PM
love to see said button?

That's exactly the point, there is nothing to see.

Sitting in the drivers seat properly, the wiper stalk nearly covers or hides the START button, it's right on top of said button. I noticed it the first time I drove the CX. But it actually works fine and I haven't given it a second thought in 6 weeks (until I read this thread that is).

oaklandopen
05-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Juuuuust sayin. and ill be damned if i go to a dealer and they know more about a particular model i am there to see than i do. in fact, i welcome the arguments

one guy argued with me that they all had HIDs

anyway...im trolling the cx5 stuff cuz im seriously considering one. and i hate to say it, but its the first model year gunea pigs that make waiting to buy a car worthwhile

bazooka joe
05-04-2012, 08:02 AM
just saw a video of the cx5 and yes, that start button is very close to the stalk, i could see this happening very easily

nizzy1115
05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Personally I dont think the button is any closer than any other push button car ive driven. And I dont see how I would hit it either, but thats just me i suppose.

bazooka joe
05-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Personally I dont think the button is any closer than any other push button car ive driven. And I dont see how I would hit it either, but thats just me i suppose.
well in a new car when you're not as familar with the placement of everything it would be real easy reaching for the stalk to hit the dash and because said button is right behind it could have happend....after some time in the car and certainly after doing this once, the OP will be a lot more careful i'm sure!

Barbaracj
05-04-2012, 09:29 AM
I know OP is me but what does it stand for?

nizzy1115
05-04-2012, 09:31 AM
I know OP is me but what does it stand for?

Original Poster

bazooka joe
05-04-2012, 09:44 AM
barb, keep us posted on you likes and dislike....a cx5 could be in future, thanks!

Barbaracj
05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Can you say LOVE? Plus... I drove a lot on the highway yesterday and got 35.5 mpg. Awesome!

bazooka joe
05-04-2012, 10:27 AM
nice!

geocord
05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Maybe a dumb question but it's never stopped me before. If you do hit the start/stop button by mistake when moving, can you just press it to restart or must you be in park/neutral?

rS1
05-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Total non-issue. Anyone talking about the positioning of the wiper stalk and the push start button is exaggerating. I'm 6'3" and have no issues whatsoever with the placement.

CX-SV
05-04-2012, 12:26 PM

It is closer than most, especially if steering wheel is adjusted fairly close to dash. I just looked at my Lexus this morning and the START button was much further away from wiper stalk and more visible.

But for a vast majority of drivers it's a non-issue.

ManMachine
05-04-2012, 01:07 PM
I agree this is a bit too close to the wiper stalk from the photo. From my test drive I didn't notice it though.

In our bimmer the start/stop button is much lower than the stalk. In the E90 3 series, the button is quite high on the dash.

As with the Toyota cars, if people can hit the gas pedal when they mean to brake, then it's possible there might be a couple of cases people accidentally hitting the button when it rains. It'll be a hard decision for Mazda - whether to relocate it.

CX-SV
05-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Juuuuust sayin. and ill be damned if i go to a dealer and they know more about a particular model i am there to see than i do. in fact, i welcome the arguments

one guy argued with me that they all had HIDs

anyway...im trolling the cx5 stuff cuz im seriously considering one. and i hate to say it, but its the first model year gunea pigs that make waiting to buy a car worthwhile

Like you, I have low expectations for car sales people and discount and filter-out just about anything they say.

Being a first year genea pig (not to be confused with Kia hamster) is a non-issue, especially if you read through this thread about this non-issue. Mazda has a good history of product launches in recent years, so CX-5 will probably be similar. The better automakers can release new products successfully because they do the thorough reliability/durability/quality testing prior to first production run.

bazooka joe
05-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Total non-issue. Anyone talking about the positioning of the wiper stalk and the push start button is exaggerating. I'm 6'3" and have no issues whatsoever with the placement.
maybe for you, it's close enough that you could hit it back accident as she apprently did (not sure how your height plays into this?)

nizzy1115
05-04-2012, 02:17 PM
maybe for you, it's close enough that you could hit it back accident as she apprently did (not sure how your height plays into this?)

How can you say this? you only saw a video of the CX5 interior. Maybe go out and sit in one, it takes effort to move the hand to push it. unless you have gorilla hands or something

nizzy1115
05-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Other cars locations of push button start...all in the same spot btw.

kia optima http://www.carmild.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/kA_800.jpg
kia sorento http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gallery.php/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=39583
ford fiesta http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/V/B/2/ag_11fiesta_ignition.JPG
bmw 335 http://gallery.carreview.com/data/car/748/2010_bmw_335d_sedan_33.jpg
lexus is350 http://image.turbomagazine.com/f/8916204+w750+st0/0511tur_07z+lexus_is350+start_button.jpg
cadillac http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Vehicles/Current_Vehicles/2011_SRX_Crossover/Features/01_images/2011-srx-crossover-features-push-mm-1-685x220.jpg

oaklandopen
05-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I dont care how much something is tested, the REAL test comes from the consumers. there is always another way to neglect or break something. there are always a million more environmental factors not taken into accoubt. etc etc etc. if every car were perfect there would be no need for mechanics, and there is no shortage of mechanics

and thats another thing i love about dealers, they like to say the car was extensively and thuroughly tested. blah blah blah, the FDA tests food too and suddenly an outbreak of ecoli happens

ill wait till the tsb's and recalls die down before i open my wallet

rS1
05-04-2012, 02:56 PM

It's actually rather simple how my height plays into it. At 6'3', my arm-to-arm length is just under 7", so logic dictates that with that kind of arm length, accidental presses of an allegedly ill-placed start button would be more the norm rather than the exception. Clearly, I don't have any issues with the placement. There are other variables to consider as well, such as steering wheel and driver seat placement. In my case, the steering wheel is angled as high as it can be given my height with the drivers seat set almost half way back from its default position. The button is not placed in such a poor place that accidental touches are going to be the norm.

It really boils down to one thing: people who don't own or haven't test drove the car looking for reasons to justify their own opinions.

CX-SV
05-04-2012, 03:57 PM
ill wait till the tsb's and recalls die down before i open my wallet

Please let us know about the CX-5 TSB's and recalls. The CX-5 owners need to be aware of these.

ManMachine
05-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Can someone please submit a large photo of the button related to the wiper stalk? I think visibility of the button is also important, so that user doesn't touch it when they shouldn't. With BMW 3 series (E90), it's high on the dash and you have to specifically reach for it.

Other cars locations of push button start...all in the same spot btw.

kia optima http://www.carmild.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/kA_800.jpg
kia sorento http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gallery.php/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=39583
ford fiesta http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/V/B/2/ag_11fiesta_ignition.JPG
bmw 335 http://gallery.carreview.com/data/car/748/2010_bmw_335d_sedan_33.jpg
lexus is350 http://image.turbomagazine.com/f/8916204+w750+st0/0511tur_07z+lexus_is350+start_button.jpg
cadillac http://www.cadillac.com/content/dam/Cadillac/Global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Vehicles/Current_Vehicles/2011_SRX_Crossover/Features/01_images/2011-srx-crossover-features-push-mm-1-685x220.jpg

Lando
05-04-2012, 08:49 PM
http://www.maitamazda.com/detail.cfm?ID=117517&V=2013%20Mazda%20CX5%20

Not sure how to post pictures, but check slide 6.

CX-SV
05-04-2012, 09:02 PM
http://www.maitamazda.com/detail.cfm?ID=117517&V=2013%20Mazda%20CX5%20

Not sure how to post pictures, but check slide 6.

Yep, there's the start button. See the 2 images I put up at the top of this post.

1. First image is the IS350 START button (I have one of these cars in garage and I looked at it today), notice how it's away from the steering column and below wiper stalk.
2. Second image is the CX-5 START button, notice how it's closer to steering column and for most drivers of average heights completely blocked by wiper stalk .

In short, no not all cars are the same with the location of START button.

mazdadude
05-04-2012, 09:21 PM
It is closer than most, especially if steering wheel is adjusted fairly close to dash. I just looked at my Lexus this morning and the START button was much further away from wiper stalk and more visible.

But for a vast majority of drivers it's a non-issue.

Also, female drivers tend to have longer fingernails...

CX-SV
05-09-2012, 08:02 PM

Here's an better picture of dash and START button in a Lexus, it is not blocked by wiper stalk. (START button is mounted closer to center of dash and lower)

bazooka joe
05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
i'll be checking out the cx5 this wknd...

CX-SV
05-14-2012, 12:40 PM
i'll be checking out the cx5 this wknd...

Did you get to test drive a CX-5 over the weekend?

bazooka joe
05-14-2012, 02:16 PM
na, i forgot it was mothers day sun, straight out...maybe this weekend...def want to check it out though

bazooka joe
05-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Did you get to test drive a CX-5 over the weekend?

ok, so i just drove one and i must admit, it would be tough to shut the car off by playing with the wiper stalk...tough, but if you are unfamiliar with the car i could see you possible hitting it by accident, ONCE only though. :) nice car by the way! i'd put it on the list when i retire the the tribute! ;)