Anyone find rims that fit the CX-5 without any adjustments?

CodyZoom

:
2013 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Package (Sky Blue)
A big thank you to Skouly for posting all the info about the wheel specs. However, I'm searching for a good looking aftermarket rim for the CX-5 that can bolt right on without using any spacers or adjustments. The reason is I'm after some better tires, even though I love the 19s that come with the GT. I'd be happy with some slightly wider 18s or 19s. Checked on a couple websites already with no luck.

No mention of CX-5 on this miata tuner's website.

No CX-5 on the Miata website?? Absurb!!! lol

I'm guessing ourlee was thinking of the MX-5.

CodyZoom, keep us in the loop if you find a set of wheels that fit well. I had a heck of a time finding rims to fit my P5. It was such a weird combination of diameter, width, and offset. Not sure about the 3 or 6, but it seems Mazda enjoys making wheel shopping a challenge!

On a slightly related note, I read that the CX-5 can monitor tire pressure. Any idea how that works and whether new wheels/tires will effect that?

Last edited:
I read that the Tire Pressure Monitoring is done via the antilock braking wheel rev counter. A low tire turns at a different rate than a properly inflated one so if one turns at a different rate the system turns on a lite, you do not know which tire. (I have a 2000 Corvette that tells you the pressure in each tire which still works great after 12 years and 80,000 miles.) I think the same counters feed Traction Control and 4 wheel drive engagements. If all tires are the same size and properly inflated, I don't see how it will know they are not stock but your speed will read slower than actual with larger tires. If you feel just above the top of the front tire, there is not a lot of extra clearance for a larger diameter tire...

I read that the Tire Pressure Monitoring is done via the antilock braking wheel rev counter. A low tire turns at a different rate than a properly inflated one so if one turns at a different rate the system turns on a lite...

So just a follow up question, are you saying that it's counting the tire revolutions per minute? That could make it a real challenge when configuring the proper rim and tire sizes, as it's usually off by some very small percentage from stock.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding you.

Onatrum Yes, ABS sensor can only count wheel revolutions and compare the four - over time if one is consistently different, turn on the light (with no brake applied and no traction slipage). It does not know actual ground speed - different diameter tires will turn at different rates at the same ground speed. If all tires are all the same size (larger or smaller than stock) the system does not know the difference so I think different size tires are OK if all four are same. The question I have is if the tire set is worn down (smaller diameter) and one tire is replaced with a new one, the new one will turn at a slightly lower rate - perhaps the reset button will allow this as when all tires are inflated properly you reset the system so that it knows the new relative slower turn rate of the new tire is correct and don't turn on light unless if it changes from the new reset slower turn rate for the larger new tire. Always make sure the tire pressure of all four tires is the same before reseting TPM.

ABS sensor can only count wheel revolutions and compare the four - over time if one is consistently different, turn on the light ... If all tires are all the same size (larger or smaller than stock) the system does not know the difference so I think different size tires are OK if all four are same.

Ahhh I see, thanks for clarifying! I was thinking the computer had a stored number of revolutions (i.e. stock 19's turn X-amount of times).

But your explanation makes perfect sense if it's comparing the 4 tires with each other.

Good question about replacing tire and resetting the sensor...no answer for ya tho :)

Agreed ^, that's how it worked on my 06 ML350 with similar system upon reset (with aftermarket Mandrus wheels).

Back