CX-5 Short Ram Intake released

Hey guys,
A short ram intake has just been released by corksport. Looks kinda pricey for a short ram,

It's the machined Billet MAF tube that is most of the cost there. I machine custom ones for Audi's and VW's and charge $140-150 (market) so really the price is not that bad..

id be scared to ditch the OEM maf. The MAF area is very sensitive to different flow profiles.

id be scared to ditch the OEM maf. The MAF area is very sensitive to different flow profiles.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. I do a lot of work and experimentation in this area. Yes, ID is very critical and you can actually tune a car by varying this dimension, but it sounds like Corksport has duplicated the OEM dimension by the reasonable HP/TQ increases they claim.. That's the critical dimension. To big you go lean, to small you go rich. It's all about Physics and flow dynamics. To learn more about how that all works, check my page here: http://www.modshack.info/bamm.htm

Last edited:
Would this kind of aftermarket intake void any manufacturer's warranty? I'd be leery of this for that reason. Understand it may increase hp/tq a tiny bit but what would it do to MPG? How often does this type of air filter have to be cleaned and how big a job is it? A 5hp/6tq ft increase on a FWD may add a little more zip.

I had their SRI which looks identical in my 2010 mazda3. It uses the stock MAF sensor. It made the car much much louder and did not make a noticeable change in power or gas mileage. You can drive them for about 15-20k miles before cleaning the filter. Washing in a bucket of water and dish soap works perfect. See youtube videos on how to wash a AEM dryfill filter. Gotta let it sit a day to dry though.

I ended up selling it after about 15k miles and wont be getting one for my cx5.

We did several versions of MAF housing before decided on the one we released with the intake. The MAF housing looks similar to our others but it is different. The bolt pattern and height which is sits are has changed from the earlier models.

-Derrick

Isn't that intake going to be sucking in hot engine compartment air? How does the torque curve look from 2000 RPM to 3500 RPM where this engine needs it? Is it noisier than stock? (whistle)

Last edited:
Good question, just today I looked at the stock cold air intake.

Are there any other aftermarket parts cork is able to tell us they are working on? I would love to mod out my silver beauty, planning on getting the short ram when i get back from my honeymoon. (getting married this saturday and taking the cx5 on a 2 week cross country roadtrip)

Are there any other aftermarket parts cork is able to tell us they are working on? I would love to mod out my silver beauty, planning on getting the short ram when i get back from my honeymoon. (getting married this saturday and taking the cx5 on a 2 week cross country roadtrip)

Should be a fairly similar list to what they provide for the mazda3.

So in short, don't waste money on an air filter unless you want it to sound better. And you can always take a "poo" to make your car go faster.
Cool video

Sorry, but I don't want a hot air intake, when I look under the hood and see a well-designed cold air/ram air intake right above grill.

"sound better" is also subjective. Many would think it sounds worse as not many people want a loud engine in a family moving crossover suv.

"sound better" is also subjective. Many would think it sounds worse as not many people want a loud engine in a family moving crossover suv.

This. To me, a short ram makes small displacement engines sound anemic in the low end and buzzy/annoying nearer the top end. They're like fart cans for the front of your car.

This. To me, a short ram makes small displacement engines sound anemic in the low end and buzzy/annoying nearer the top end. They're like fart cans for the front of your car.

This. I grew to hate the way the short ram sounded on my old Protege.

Wonder if a custom shroud would help with the noise?

you mean something like this?
(2012 Focus)

IMG_0334.jpg

Back