CA Emissions & CX-5/SkyActive

DrTraci

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring
So we bought my daughter one of the 1st CX-5's in Colorado and drove it out to her in Seattle, WA where she lives. We paid taxes correctly for the state of WA (did not want to mess with having issues). Our dealer was aware that this is what we intended to do. Now after trying to get it registered out there, WA sends her a letter saying she cannot register it because it does not meet California emissions standards. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I do not see where there is another engine option for CA. I thought the SkyActive was clean enough for CA. Can anyone show me where I missed that little detail or has anyone else run into this?

thatwazmysn, I guess (looking in from the Pacific), WA is to the left of CA LOL, so they decided to go along with the sometimes absurd rules. Actually it is just that, my understanding is that WA voted to adopt CA standards (for better or worse).

Mazda3UR, Yeh, I saw the Tier2 Bin5-A / LEV II ULEV (I was looking at the very LINK you mention) which I thought meant it is CA compliant, but now I am not sure if they came up with something new, or the WA registration people don't have a clue about the CX5.

The exhaust system might be different in CA?

A few years back, I had to have the exhaust system replaced on my 2004 Mazda 3. The dealer ordered the CA exhaust system, by mistake, and couldn't fit it on my car.

Wow, this conundrum pisses me off to no end. I thought the new federal guidelines had become strict enough that CARB agreed to stop having their own. I guess that hasn't happened yet.

Your best bet would maybe be to contact Mazda customer service and ask them if there truly is a difference in the cars sold in CARB states. Then, see if they can provide supporting documentation if they are the same.

Essentially these are 50 state cars. "WA sends her a letter saying she cannot register it because it does not meet California emissions standards.", sounds like some semi-automated bureacratic letter sent in error. Should be able to register in person.

Update:

Daughter had dealer (in CO where we bought her the car) on the line with WA registration person, and they said that they would not register it in WA because the invoice does not say it is a CA certified emissions car. No amount of argument made any difference. The registration person said it did not matter whether all the CX5's CA & ROW are the same. "THEY WILL NOT REGISTER IT".

Update:

Daughter had dealer (in CO where we bought her the car) on the line with WA registration person, and they said that they would not register it in WA because the invoice does not say it is a CA certified emissions car. No amount of argument made Ayala difference. The registration person said it did not matter whether all the CX5's CA & ROW are the same. "THEY WILL NOT REGISTER IT".

Then why not just register it in the state you live in and let your daughter have a out of state registration??

Update:

Daughter had dealer (in CO where we bought her the car) on the line with WA registration person, and they said that they would not register it in WA because the invoice does not say it is a CA certified emissions car. No amount of argument made any difference. The registration person said it did not matter whether all the CX5's CA & ROW are the same. "THEY WILL NOT REGISTER IT".

In reality the cars may be the same and meet the same standards BUT the cars that go into the 10 or so states that use CARB standards must be stickered as such and specifically state they meet the certification guidelines of the state(s) in question. The manufacturers distribution system handles all this paperwork. I seriously doubt you'll get an exemption directly from Mazda and certainly no local bureaucrat is gonna stick his/her neck out. Most of these states allow "Non-certified" cars in at a certain Used mileage number. I think it's 7500 miles in CA. As suggested, you may have to register it in CO. , make it used, then re-regester in her state when it meets the legal default..

Also, IF the car is stickered to meet the requirements (just missing the approved state of origin) you may have to get an inspector involved to verify in person to grant the exception. YOu'll have to look at the labeling. Compare the nomenclature on your sticker to the Engine spec in the link above..

Scratch that last....My car has a very abreviated sticker with 2 lines. US/EPA and CA. The CA line says N/A so this might not work

Last edited:
Then why not just register it in the state you live in and let your daughter have a out of state registration??

Exactly what we are gonna have to do. We looked at doing that initially also (much less tax in CO), but the Police in WA are pretty stringent about pulling over OOS cars and if they see someones license as in state, they will tag you good (they want that tax).

In reality the cars may be the same and meet the same standards BUT the cars that go into the 10 or so states that use CARB standards must be stickered as such and specifically state they meet the certification guidelines of the state(s) in question. The manufacturers distribution system handles all this paperwork. I seriously doubt you'll get an exemption directly from Mazda and certainly no local bureaucrat is gonna stick his/her neck out. Most of these states allow "Non-certified" cars in at a certain Used mileage number. I think it's 7500 miles in CA. As suggested, you may have to register it in CO. , make it used, then re-regester in her state when it meets the legal default..

Also, IF the car is stickered to meet the requirements (just missing the approved state of origin) you may have to get an inspector involved to verify in person to grant the exception. YOu'll have to look at the labeling. Compare the nomenclature on your sticker to the Engine spec in the link above..

Scratch that last....My car has a very abreviated sticker with 2 lines. US/EPA and CA. The CA line says N/A so this might not work

You are correct about the 7500mi to make it used. This is the approach we are going to try. It is just a PITA. We attempted to do everything the correct way, and sometimes, THEY just won't let you. Thanks.

Last edited:
Exactly what we are gonna have to do. We looked at doing that initially also (much less tax in CO), but the Police in WA are pretty stringent about pulling over OOS cars and if they see someones license as in state, they will tag you good (they want that tax).

The police in WA can not write citations for out of state registration even if it is expired...they can only enforce registration that is for WA. I am a Police officer here in Texas and see expired plated all the times from other states. There is not a thing WA police can do about it because they can only uphold WA law just like i can only enforce TX registration

good luck

Latest posts

Back