CX-5 Class III Hitch available

Let me know how the install goes! I wanted a class II/III hitch to have more options when choosing hitch mounted bike racks from Yakima/Thule.

Is the cx5 rated to be able to tow that much? Mazda sells a class I. Here are ratings. Im not sure it would be able to handle class II weights. Let us know what you will be using it for and how it does if you are close to the max ratings.
Class 1 (Class I) trailer hitch
Trailer hitch with capacity of up to 2,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 200 lbs tongue weight.
Class 2 (Class II) trailer hitch
Trailer hitch with weight-carrying rating of up to 3,500 lbs gross trailer weight and 300/350 lbs tongue weight.
Class 3 (Class III) trailer hitch
Trailer hitch with weight carrying rating of up to 5,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 500 lbs tongue weight. Also sometimes used to refer to a hitch with any 2" receiver, regardless of rating

If I ordered this online, where could I go to have it installed? And how much would they charge typically? I've been told that I have a hitch installed with U-Haul, but would they install one that you didn't buy from them?

Is the cx5 rated to be able to tow that much? Mazda sells a class I. Here are ratings. Im not sure it would be able to handle class II weights. Let us know what you will be using it for and how it does if you are close to the max ratings.

I don't plan on towing over capacity, I just don't like a 1-1/4" receiver because it limits what can be attached. I prefer a two inch because it will take my extender rack (Harbor Freight tools), and other hitch mounted accessories. I have a 2 inch to 1-1/4 reducer bushing when I plug in my bike rack. I also pull a small utility trailer that I will occasionally make Home Depot pick ups with.

If I ordered this online, where could I go to have it installed? And how much would they charge typically? I've been told that I have a hitch installed with U-Haul, but would they install one that you didn't buy from them?
Dealer will install it for 60 bucks

I don't plan on towing over capacity, I just don't like a 1-1/4" receiver because it limits what can be attached. I prefer a two inch because it will take my extender rack (Harbor Freight tools), and other hitch mounted accessories. I have a 2 inch to 1-1/4 reducer bushing when I plug in my bike rack. I also pull a small utility trailer that I will occasionally make Home Depot pick ups with.
Oh okay haha. I have a 14 foot bass boat to tow and the class one will be fine for me. Might get this one though cuz it is cheaper.

This is odd. I saw two hitches on Autoanything a few days ago. The one posted here and a Draw-tite one that was listed as not requiring drilling to install. I even called to confirm fit for the CX-5. Now when I checked this post out linked back to the site and saw the one they sold me isn't listed anymore.... weird. Going to have to call tomorrow and figure it out.

Now when I checked this post out linked back to the site and saw the one they sold me isn't listed anymore.... weird.

Yeah, they show a Hidden Hitch, Draw Tite, and Curt. But when you select the DrawTite, it says it doesn't fit the CX5, although it did not say that two days ago. Let us know what they say. Did you order a wiring harness?

I went to the U-Haul site and now it has a Class III hitch available. You can order the hitch and accessories including wiring harness for $350 + including installation. Doesn't seem like a great price, right?

Yeah, they show a Hidden Hitch, Draw Tite, and Curt. But when you select the DrawTite, it says it doesn't fit the CX5, although it did not say that two days ago. Let us know what they say. Did you order a wiring harness?

Just looked again before I call and now they only list a Curt hitch. No Draw-Tite or Hidden Hitch. I'm calling now.

**UPDATE** Just got off the phone with AutoAnything and Draw-Tite. Apparently they sold out of the Draw-tite hitches and that's why they are no longer listed. I asked about the Hidden Hitch no longer being on there as well and was told they too were sold out. I still wasn't fully buying it so I called Draw-tite and gave them the part number from my order and they confirmed that it was a hitch for a 13 CX-5. I didn't ask about the Hidden Hitch.

Last edited:
I went to the U-Haul site and now it has a Class III hitch available. You can order the hitch and accessories including wiring harness for $350 + including installation. Doesn't seem like a great price, right?

Since I always do my own installs, the price would be high for me. If you don't have the tools or space to work, it still beats the dealer price on a class I. I am wondering if they have to cut the bumper like on the Mazda hitch. Let us know what you decide.

It looks like the Drawtite and Hidden Hitch are already sold out, but a Curt class II is still available this morning.

Here is a link to instructions for installing a Curt class II hitch on a CX5. It looks like it is NOT necessary to cut the bumper as is required by the Mazda hitch. No drilling is required. This looks like a one six-pack or less install. (boom01)
http://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/12080/installsheet/CM_12080_INS.PDF

Last edited:
id go with a hidden hitch unless you dont care to see an ugly hitch hanging off the backend of your vehicle.

i have it on my truck and its "hidden". only part you see of course is the female receiver.

IMG_20120318_190044-1.jpg

I know some are truly hidden. But what I'm saying is you cant assume by brand that it will be the best hitch thats actually hidden out there without comparing them all.

So has anyone got pics to post of the aftermarket hitches? Im about to order my car soon and would like to know if i should wait or get the OE hitch installed.

Thanks!

Back