Exterior Black Matte Plastic Maintenance

VEZ

:
CX-5 GX, Manual
Your advices on how to protect/wash all that black matte plastic surrounding the lower exterior chassis, gentlemen?

Armor-All or leave it alone? How Im I supposed to wax my CX-5 without leaving indelible encrusted white traces on these dark plastics?

Thanks in advance.

Vez

Suggestions:

- Don't use a wax/sealant product that leaves the white stains on non-paint material. I use Optimum Poli-Seal that is easily wiped off if it gets on the plastic and Poli-Seal for the in between 'waxing' washes. This is a clear wipe-on/walk-away sealant.
- Use painter's tape to cover the plastic bits before waxing.
- I am trying out a new product CarPro PERL to protect the plastic bits. It also darkens older, faded trim bits as well.

CarPro PERL is good, but supposedly Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus by Ultima is even better
if money is not of a concern, there is also Wolfgang Product called Exterior Trim Sealant (ETS) but that gets pricy

Last edited:
CarPro PERL is good, but supposedly Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus by Ultima is even better
if money is not of a concern, there is also Wolfgang Product called Exterior Trim Sealant (ETS) but that gets pricy

I read about the comparisons between the two, but the UTTG was too expensive for me. I liked that the PERL could be diluted for uses like the trim and inside materials, thus making it more economical.. UTTG is highly rated though.

I like Stoner's products. They have a trim Clean and a Trim Shine product that works well on exterior plastics. Having just come out of a Honda Element, I had a lot of that to deal with...!

I like Stoner's products. They have a trim Clean and a Trim Shine product that works well on exterior plastics. Having just come out of a Honda Element, I had a lot of that to deal with...!

+1 on the Stoner Trim and Shine as well. Its getting harder to find nowadays though.

Two tricks if you end up confidently getting wax on the black plastic: 1.) Take a microfiber cloth and mist it with All Purpose cleaner and rub like there is no tomorrow. 2.) Take a heatgun or Hair drier on high and lightly go over the plastic from about 10-12" away. The wax will melt and become clear.

But the best way is to prevent it. :)

Back