Mazda CX-5 Video and Wheel Question

JordanLindsay

:
1992 Geo Metro
Hey guys,

I made a video on the Mazda CX5 for the defy convention competition. Please check it out and vote if you like it. http://on.fb.me/HVN84d is the link.

I'm also wondering, what does the steering wheel feel like? I took a look at the CX5 and the wheel looks smaller than what I am used to, I wonder how it feels to drive it on a regular basis.

Thanks

-Jordan

I'm also wondering, what does the steering wheel feel like? I took a look at the CX5 and the wheel looks smaller than what I am used to, I wonder how it feels to drive it on a regular basis.

Extremely good actually.

The steering for the North American market does differ to the rest of the world though. But according to Japanese sources, all the steering development was done by Americans on Americans roads as this was the toughest test for the toughest market. The resulting steering had to have a lot of steering feel, particularly at high speed. They went back to a rack and pinion to get the feel back into the wheel - something that BMW has also done with the latest 5 series.

The steering is very quick for a CUV. The turning circle is tight and power assistance at speeds below 60km/h is higher to allow quick parking and manoeuvering. On the highway, the steering gets heavier which makes for a very easy driving experience due to the fact there are very few inputs required.

I am coming from a Mazda 3 which had heavier steering. But in use, the CX-5 steering is quite reminiscent of a current BMW X5.

Thanks for the reply. That is very informative. I currently drive a car that doesn't even have power steering so this could be quite a revolution for me.

Thanks for the reply. That is very informative. I currently drive a car that doesn't even have power steering so this could be quite a revolution for me.

Most certainly!!

Only advice I can give you going to power steering is when in regards to driving over black ice on your trips up to Whistler, and have to swerve to avoid stupid Australian tourists.... don't over correct.

Back